Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Two type of cyclist I just dont understand.

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-24, 03:14 PM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts

Here in the snowbelt in the winter, I watch a lot of videos of trail rides all over the country. I see two types of cyclist on these rides. One is the rider that has No visible trace of tubes. patch kits, or pumps. I guess they rely on help from other riders. The other type is the rider that has his whole bike loaded down with bags. They look like that if someone invited to to a cross country ride, they could say lets go. For just an out and back ride, I just dont understand either one.

I ride with a trunk pack, that should have enough tools, tubes, patch kits, mini pump, and other emergency parts that should get me home 99% of the time without walking.
Likes For rydabent:
Old 03-14-24, 03:21 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6196 Post(s)
Liked 4,811 Times in 3,319 Posts
You have problems with people doing their own thing? If these persons were many miles away from any source of help and out of contact with civilization of any sort, I might agree that they should take some other stuff for emergencies.

What I really have a problem with is people I see with no water bottles on their bike or person out in areas that must be twenty or more minutes away from anything on the hot days we have here.

But still, it's their decision. Get over it. Maybe you'll get a opportunity to be a hero and come to their rescue one day.

Last edited by Iride01; 03-14-24 at 03:26 PM.
Old 03-14-24, 03:23 PM
zandoval 

Bikes: Univega, Peu P6, Peu PR-10, Ted Williams, Peu UO-8, Peu UO-18 Mixte, Peu Dolomites

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 967 Post(s)
Liked 1,631 Times in 1,047 Posts
I often shudder when remembering the rides I have made with no tools or back up.

Pure Idiocy...
Old 03-14-24, 03:26 PM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4415 Post(s)
Liked 4,868 Times in 3,013 Posts
Originally Posted by rydabent
One is the rider that has No visible trace of tubes. patch kits, or pumps. I guess they rely on help from other riders.
I am pretty sure you wouldn’t be able to visibly tell that I was carrying all those things.
Likes For PeteHski:
Old 03-14-24, 03:37 PM
asgelle

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1031 Post(s)
Liked 451 Times in 265 Posts
Here in the snowbelt in the winter, I watch a lot of videos of trail rides all over the country. I see two types of cyclist on these rides. One is the rider that has No visible trace of tubes. patch kits, or pumps. I guess they rely on help from other riders. The other type is the rider that has his whole bike loaded down with bags. They look like that if someone invited to to a cross country ride, they could say lets go. For just an out and back ride, I just dont understand either one.
Well let me help your understanding. For the person with no visible trace of equipment, perhaps the answer is as simple as that word visible. Tubes, patch and pump are present but out of view. As for loaded down with bags, since you didn't mention having x-ray vision, for all you know, those bags were empty. I know several riders who do long distance self-supported rides and don't bother taking their panniers off. But by all means keep projecting your prejudices on others.
Likes For asgelle:
Old 03-14-24, 03:45 PM
JochenRindt

Bikes: 1981 Motobecane Le Champion, 2002 LeMond Alp d'Huez, 1980 Peugeot PKN-10, 1982 Peugeot PSV-10, 1981 Austro Daimler Vent Noir

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 73 Times in 23 Posts
I rode for years without any tools, patch kit, spare tube, or pump. At the time I was living in my hometown and there was always a friend or an in-law I could call and ask them to pick me up. Fortunately, it only happened twice in nine years. Now that I live elsewhere, I would never even considering riding without tools. Looking back, I can't believe how irresponsible I was. And I also feel more like a proper cyclist now.
Likes For JochenRindt:
Old 03-14-24, 03:53 PM
base2 
I am potato.

Bikes: Only precision built, custom high performance elitist machines of the highest caliber. 🍆

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1789 Post(s)
Liked 1,630 Times in 934 Posts
I have everything I need to fix almost every possible necessary repair all stuffed into a single standard 24oz water bottle. On the rides where I think I may need 2 water bottles, the fix-it kit water bottle goes in the center back pocket on my jersey.

In the shoulder seasons, if rain is likely, I'll often carry a pannier with a full compliment of likely weather gear. But if I'm on one of my non-rack equipped bikes, I'll wear long sleeves and layers. If I get too warm, I'll remove the jacket & tie it around the stem and the tops of the handlebar.

I've even been accused of wearing the occasional backpack. But, that's never been independently confirmed.

Am I the over-prepper or the no-prepper?

Last edited by base2; 03-14-24 at 03:58 PM.
Old 03-14-24, 04:29 PM
rosefarts
With a mighty wind

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1088 Post(s)
Liked 862 Times in 490 Posts
It's a video. That means cleanin up real nice for the camera. The poor sucker with the camera has the repair kit.

It really is that simple.
Likes For rosefarts:
Old 03-14-24, 04:40 PM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3954 Post(s)
Liked 7,303 Times in 2,948 Posts
Two type of cyclist I just dont understand

I suspect there are a lot more than two types of riders you don’t understand.
Old 03-14-24, 04:55 PM
AirPhantomPhoto

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Ahh, gone are the days of youth when I used to ride from Noank CT to Mystic CT (about 5 miles/9 klicks one way) to play with friends, or rode from Oberursel Germany to Frankfort Germany (about 13 miles/20 klicks one way also) when I was stationed there. And in the days of no cellphones, stick a couple coins in your sneaker/boot & hope you can find a payphone that works.
And no tools, no pumps, no patch kit.

Nowadays I feel like I need to loaded down with a kit, pump, tools to even think I might be able to fix an issue. More likely calling family to come get me instead, LOL as I wouldnt have a clue how to try to fix my bike.
I've helped some local triathlons with the ham radio clubs, way too many times I've/we've had to relay messages for SAG to come help experienced bikers with their bikes. I dont know if they are required to carry stuff on their bikes per the rules, or not, or if its just faster to hope SAG can get them going again. I've looked at a couple local race/rides that do, may not know how to fix it but got to have the supplies.

Me, I'll just ride without & hope for the best. (fingers crossed) LOL
Old 03-14-24, 05:02 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Quoted: 4957 Post(s)
Liked 8,098 Times in 3,833 Posts

I ride with a trunk pack, that should have enough tools, tubes, patch kits, mini pump, and other emergency parts that should get me home 99% of the time without walking.
Just because people don't do things your way doesn't make them wrong. It's too bad you have trouble understanding that, and are so judgmental about other people's preferences.

I ride with a small pouch in my jersey pocket that carries what I need to address most issues I might have to deal with on a ride. You might not even notice it. Also, some modern frames have internal storage compartments. You wouldn't be able to see the tools unless you were able to physically inspect the bike.

I'm not familiar with riding with a lot of bags on my bike, but I would imagine that installing them and removing them regularly might become a pain in the @$$. If I did a lot of rides where they were needed, I can imagine I might leave them on, even if they were empty.
Old 03-14-24, 05:06 PM
CAT7RDR

Bikes: 1999 Schwinn Peloton Ultegra 10, Kestrel RT-1000 Ultegra, Trek Marlin 6 Deore 29'er

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 822 Post(s)
Liked 1,961 Times in 944 Posts
Wear SPD shoes/cleats or Chuck Taylors and hike-a-bike if you run into problems and do not have the tools or care.
Once rode/walked 5 miles because of a broken chain but lucked out because I was able to coast about 4 of the 5 miles downhill.
Old 03-14-24, 05:38 PM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 2338 Post(s)
Liked 2,827 Times in 1,543 Posts
lots of reason for the first that people have touched on above

for the second it is likely they are bikepacking and have their camping gear, food, clothes etc....

Old 03-14-24, 05:40 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10436 Post(s)
Liked 11,912 Times in 6,100 Posts
If you see me riding on a rainy day, you may not see the spare tube, levers, multitool, pump, and CO2 inflator in my pockets, but I assure you, they're there.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Old 03-14-24, 05:49 PM
hazetguy 
only here for the "LIKES"

Mentioned: 143 Post(s)
Quoted: 1643 Post(s)
Liked 2,240 Times in 1,052 Posts

https://www.bikeforums.net/general-c...s-cycllst.html

I for one when I am not riding enjoy watching videos of cyclist rallies and rides. On some of the rallies especially, it is amazing to me how varied the riders really are. Some ride with no visible tools or tubes for flats at all. Then I have see more than a few that ride say a 20-30-40 mile rally with what looks like a loaded fully contained cross country loaded bike. I really wonder why they are riding with so much on their bikes and trikes for such a short ride.
Old 03-14-24, 06:12 PM
cweb99

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked 147 Times in 58 Posts
I carry a compressor, 5 tubes, 4 tires and an extra bike on all my rides. I even hire a day laborer from Home Depot to help ride me home if I get a flat.
Likes For cweb99:
Old 03-14-24, 06:46 PM
DeadGrandpa

Bikes: Too many, yet not enough.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 492 Post(s)
Liked 311 Times in 201 Posts
It all comes down to what degree of self-reliance one is comfortable with. I don't like the idea of having a mechanical issue and being unprepared to solve it. What if my emergency call relatives or friends are out of town or otherwise occupied? What would we do if we were on a self supported tour, what should be in my emergency repair kit? I go on every ride ready to fix anything that might reasonably be expected to fail. I've carried less than that and have been lucky, but if you go that route, sometimes your luck will run out when it's least convenient. I think that proves God has a sense of humor.
Old 03-14-24, 06:48 PM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 2241 Post(s)
Liked 3,443 Times in 1,802 Posts
Originally Posted by PeteHski
I am pretty sure you wouldn’t be able to visibly tell that I was carrying all those things.
Come on. He can see through your tires and determine if you are running tubeless.
Old 03-14-24, 06:53 PM
wheelreason

Quoted: 501 Post(s)
Liked 632 Times in 373 Posts
Originally Posted by cweb99
I carry a compressor, 5 tubes, 4 tires and an extra bike on all my rides. I even hire a day laborer from Home Depot to help ride me home if I get a flat.
Chamba es chamba. ¿Cómo se dice tubeless es stupido?....
Likes For wheelreason:
Old 03-14-24, 07:05 PM
cweb99

Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked 147 Times in 58 Posts
Originally Posted by wheelreason
Chamba es chamba. ¿Cómo se dice tubeless es stupido?....
no Nintendo bro
Old 03-14-24, 07:19 PM
NumbersGuy

Bikes: Fairlight Strael 3.0 Ultegra Di2, Lauf Seigla Rigid SRAM Red XPLR

Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked 115 Times in 64 Posts
One type of rider I just don’t want to understand….. rydabent
Old 03-14-24, 08:03 PM
aplcr0331
Hear myself getting fat

Bikes: Sir Velo A Sparrow

Quoted: 335 Post(s)
Liked 265 Times in 134 Posts
I’m kinda new to riding with only 18,000 miles ridden…but those were all without any tools…or $20 bills. No saddle bag or handlebar weed bag either.

My spare tube, tire lever, CO2 inflator, and CO2 cartridge are all right here in this little guy.

This mini-pump goes in my jersey pocket next to it.

That’s all I ever need and all I’ve ever carried. It takes all kinds out here…
Old 03-14-24, 08:14 PM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2747 Post(s)
Liked 3,401 Times in 2,058 Posts
​​​​​​https://www.acg.aaa.com/aaa-membersh...e-service.html
Old 03-14-24, 09:19 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2585 Post(s)
Liked 5,644 Times in 2,922 Posts
I don’t seek to understand. Instead, I seek to accept. (This goes much farther than cycling)

Besides, what they choose to do or not do is of zero concern.

Last edited by rsbob; 03-14-24 at 09:29 PM.
Likes For rsbob:
Old 03-14-24, 09:25 PM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts
Actually I cannot tell you how many cyclist I have stopped and helped because they were riding with no equipment to repair their bikes. I am old, was a repair tech for 50 years, and I have the time, and am in no hurry to get home.

But again I dont understand how they think they can ride with nothing.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.