Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

How does a "Paint by Keith Anderson" effect the value of a Competition GS?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-16, 10:40 AM
Brian Mc

Bikes: 51 Lenton Tourist, 58 Raleigh Sports, 71 Carlton Critirium, 75 Raleigh Super Course II

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I hope this is ok to post here vs the "What's it worth" forum. If not, please advise.

I've found an otherwise original looking 23.5" black Competition GS with what must be replacement stickers. It looks excellent, with the exception of some rusts spots on the chrome. The "Paint by Keith Anderson" is on the left chainstay.

I'm wondering if the repaint detracts from the value of this bike or if the reputation of the painter would nullify the fact it's redone.

Thank you.

Brian
Old 02-11-16, 10:43 AM
repechage

Liked 2,848 Times in 2,009 Posts
Originally Posted by Brian Mc
I hope this is ok to post here vs the "What's it worth" forum. If not, please advise.

I've found an otherwise original looking 23.5" black Competition GS with what must be replacement stickers. It looks excellent, with the exception of some rusts spots on the chrome. The "Paint by Keith Anderson" is on the left chainstay.

I'm wondering if the repaint detracts from the value of this bike or if the reputation of the painter would nullify the fact it's redone.

Thank you.

Brian
The paint is undoubtedly better than original.
He does nice work, I am sure the seller is taking a bath on the sale.
Old 02-11-16, 10:46 AM
sloar 

Bikes: they change so much I'm tired of updating this

Liked 1,190 Times in 442 Posts
I love the quality painting done by certain professional painters. But, I would be pissed to find their giant advertising logo on my frame.
Old 02-11-16, 10:47 AM
rootboy 

Liked 133 Times in 79 Posts
Original, minty paint would undoubtedly be more desirable to a collector.
But it hardly matters on this bike. Nice as it is.
Like Repechage sez, paint by Keith is undoubtedly better than the original paint.

I'd like to see some close up detail shots.
Old 02-11-16, 10:49 AM
rootboy 

Liked 133 Times in 79 Posts
Originally Posted by sloar
But, I would be pissed to find their giant advertising logo on my frame.
I agree. But I suppose they do it for more reasons than advertising. Like, so no one could try to pass it off as being 100% original.
Old 02-11-16, 10:56 AM
SJX426 

Bikes: '65 Frejus TDF, '73 Bottecchia Giro d'Italia, '83 Colnago Superissimo, '84 Trek 610, '84 Trek 760, '88 Pinarello Veneto, '88 De Rosa Pro, '89 Pinarello Montello, '94 Burley Duet, 97 Specialized RockHopper, 2010 Langster, Tern Link D8

Liked 2,261 Times in 1,129 Posts
If there is documented support of really bad original condition, I would be happy to consider Keith's signature on the stay. It tells me that the bike was taken care of and will last a bit longer with a quality refinish by a competent refinisher.
Old 02-11-16, 11:08 AM
fender1

Bikes: I hate bikes!

Liked 735 Times in 238 Posts
Not much. Once the original paint is gone, so is a lot of the value, regardless of who does the repaint. Collectors are a fickle bunch. I have had frames repainted from time to time and have always taken a bath when selling them.
Old 02-11-16, 12:27 PM
steelbikeguy

Liked 3,497 Times in 1,621 Posts
hey Brian, how can you post about a shiny new paint job on a nice Raleigh and not post pictures?!

I've been through a few Raleighs, and their paint was never all that durable. For a black bike, I don't see a lot of downside to having nice new paint. It's not like you are trying to match the exact red of a Raleigh Team bike or get the blue mink of a Professional just right.

I've got a Raleigh International in great shape, but the paint and workmanship isn't particularly great. The paint is a "flamboyant", or candy, scheme, which I think is pretty cool and would be expensive to duplicate. The Competition was the next lower model, and probably had similar workmanship. As long as Keith kept a similar sort of finish, i.e. not too glossy or thick, it should be better than new.

I'm curious about the financial aspect of the project. A new paint job is rather pricey compared to the cost of a well used Competition frame. On the other hand, it's probably a good deal cheaper than a lot of frames currently being produced. It's probably a good value if you plan to ride the bike a long time. Not so good if your plan is to resell it quickly. What were the things or aspects that you debated prior to making the decision to repaint?
edit: oops... I see that the current owner had it repainted. It couldn't have been cheap. Personally, if the paint was done well, it should help the value. The rust would be a bigger concern, especially since the new paint will increase the bike's price <end of edit>

Steve in Peoria

Last edited by steelbikeguy; 02-11-16 at 12:31 PM.
Old 02-11-16, 12:38 PM
John E
feros ferio

Bikes: 1959 Capo Modell Campagnolo; 1960 Capo Sieger (2); 1962 Carlton Franco Suisse; 1970 Peugeot UO-8; 1982 Bianchi Campione d'Italia; 1988 Schwinn Project KOM-10;

Liked 1,372 Times in 864 Posts
Originally Posted by fender1
Not much. Once the original paint is gone, so is a lot of the value, regardless of who does the repaint. Collectors are a fickle bunch. I have had frames repainted from time to time and have always taken a bath when selling them.
A tale of two Capos -- my Sieger has its original paint, warts and all, and my Modell Campagnolo has a beautiful (and labeled) CyclArt paint job, which I splurged on because it had already been repainted a dull Rustoleum red before I bought it. I have never regretted either decision -- the very rare top-of-the-line Sieger stays all original, including components, whereas the more modest and common Modell Campagnolo has updated and upgraded components, looks stunning, and is probably worth less than 20% of what the Sieger is.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
capo_pell_1.jpg (19.3 KB, 55 views)
capo40324 002.jpg (61.4 KB, 57 views)
Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
Bianchi: 1982 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069
Old 02-11-16, 12:38 PM
Brian Mc

Bikes: 51 Lenton Tourist, 58 Raleigh Sports, 71 Carlton Critirium, 75 Raleigh Super Course II

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I am currently in the negotiation stage for buying this bike, I do not own it yet. When I saw it, it was a little dusty. I'm a little confused about a quality paint job on a GS, but then to have rust spots on the chrome. I would tell you where the negotiations started, but I think people would consider me a cheapskate or foolish for not buying it outright. I simply don't need/want it that bad. If I don't get together with her, I'll ask if she'd like me to say so in this thread and forward an email for her.
I would purchase only with the intent to ride.
Old 02-11-16, 12:48 PM
repechage

Liked 2,848 Times in 2,009 Posts
Originally Posted by sloar
I love the quality painting done by certain professional painters. But, I would be pissed to find their giant advertising logo on my frame.
Unlike some, if you ask ahead of time Keith will not apply his logo.
Old 02-11-16, 12:49 PM
southpawboston

Liked 182 Times in 89 Posts
Originally Posted by rootboy
I agree. But I suppose they do it for more reasons than advertising. Like, so no one could try to pass it off as being 100% original.
Eh, I disagree. It's a point of pride, the mark of a craftsman. I asked Keith to make sure my Jeff Lyon custom got Keith's nice insignia down on the chainstay.

Same reason I like to put Velo Lumino decals on all the custom wiring jobs I do on customers' bikes, or on bikes that feature my lighting components:

Anton
Old 02-11-16, 12:50 PM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

Bikes: It's complicated.

Liked 6,006 Times in 2,338 Posts
I am currently in the negotiation stage for buying this bike, I do not own it yet. When I saw it, it was a little dusty. I'm a little confused about a quality paint job on a GS, but then to have rust spots on the chrome. I would tell you where the negotiations started, but I think people would consider me a cheapskate or foolish for not buying it outright. I simply don't need/want it that bad. If I don't get together with her, I'll ask if she'd like me to say so in this thread and forward an email for her.
Hmmmmmm, 23.5 Competition, I already have one of those, repaint was by Ed Litton, no way I'll ever recover that dough! The paint was for my vanity, pure and simple, and makes the bike go faster. I can prove this. Many times when I go out riding with Big Red someone will see it and say "nice bike!" This makes me feel better about myself, and naturally pick up the pace. There have been a few times where someone pulled up alongside me and chatted me, surely because of the paint job. I consider this a competitive advantage as that person would have passed me.

But if you don't buy it, feel free to PM me...looking at your list of vintage bikes you already have, you clearly don't need another...don't ask my wife whether I meet that definition as well...

Post a pic of that 75 Raleigh Super Course II! That was the exact year I purchased when I was 15.
Old 02-11-16, 12:58 PM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

Originally Posted by southpawboston

Anton
Anton, I'll see your sticker and raise you one.

Old 02-11-16, 01:02 PM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Liked 3,689 Times in 2,169 Posts
I agree. I looked at this bike when it was first posted and passed. I really really don't need another bike but I had exactly the same questions that you do esp. the rust on the fork. Bottom line is I agree with the others; value the bike as a rider rather than a collectible. The current price on CL is decent; if you are doing better than that, you are getting a reasonable deal.

Last edited by bikemig; 02-11-16 at 01:05 PM.
Old 02-11-16, 01:34 PM
Brian Mc

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by bikemig
I agree. I looked at this bike when it was first posted and passed. I really really don't need another bike but I had exactly the same questions that you do esp. the rust on the fork. Bottom line is I agree with the others; value the bike as a rider rather than a collectible. The current price on CL is decent; if you are doing better than that, you are getting a reasonable deal.
bikemig, time will tell.

gugie, here it is. I'm sorting out a reasonable chainring for the SA X-RF8(W) hub I've gon on it.
[h=3][/h]
Attached Images
20160131_115708.jpg (99.0 KB, 78 views)
20160131_115746.jpg (99.3 KB, 70 views)
Old 02-11-16, 01:54 PM
nlerner

Liked 7,045 Times in 2,694 Posts
I think CycleArt's sticker is a bit excessive:

Old 02-11-16, 01:58 PM
bikemig 

bikemig, time will tell.

gugie, here it is. I'm sorting out a reasonable chainring for the SA X-RF8(W) hub I've gon on it.

That's a cool bike; maybe we need to put together a C&V IA ride together one of these days.
Old 02-11-16, 02:16 PM
Brian Mc

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Splendid idea! I know a couple other riders that would be up. Are you in Central Iowa?

I've done the Tweed Ride the last three years, much fun. My buddie Lugs from Bike World organizes it.

Here's my Tweed Steed:
Attached Images
rsz_20151017_135122.jpg (98.1 KB, 51 views)
Old 02-11-16, 02:21 PM
bikemig 

Splendid idea! I know a couple other riders that would be up. Are you in Central Iowa?

I've done the Tweed Ride the last three years, much fun. My buddie Lugs from Bike World organizes it.

Here's my Tweed Steed:
I'm in Des Moines which is pretty central, . I know of a few other local BF members who would be up for a local C&V ride particularly if it includes post ride hydration,

Old 02-11-16, 02:26 PM
Brian Mc

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by bikemig
I'm in Des Moines which is pretty central, . I know of a few other local BF members who would be up for a local C&V ride particularly if it includes post ride hydration,

IE Mullets, Confluence, 515 and so forth? Bring it ON!
Old 02-11-16, 02:29 PM
fender1

Bikes: I hate bikes!

Liked 735 Times in 238 Posts
Originally Posted by gugie
Hmmmmmm, 23.5 Competition, I already have one of those, repaint was by Ed Litton, no way I'll ever recover that dough! The paint was for my vanity, pure and simple, and makes the bike go faster. I can prove this. Many times when I go out riding with Big Red someone will see it and say "nice bike!" This makes me feel better about myself, and naturally pick up the pace. There have been a few times where someone pulled up alongside me and chatted me, surely because of the paint job. I consider this a competitive advantage as that person would have passed me.

But if you don't buy it, feel free to PM me...looking at your list of vintage bikes you already have, you clearly don't need another...don't ask my wife whether I meet that definition as well...

Post a pic of that 75 Raleigh Super Course II! That was the exact year I purchased when I was 15.
PM me. I have 3 frame sets soon to be on the block: 73' Pro (good chrome, needs paint 23.5" and has fender eyelets) 74 Competition (needs paint, chrome on fork only, none on the rear stays ok conditon, 23.5") and 75 Super Tourer 24.5" excellent paint & chrome. All are frame/fork and original headsets. Maybe a package deal?
Old 02-11-16, 04:11 PM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

bikemig, time will tell.

Nicely done! That paint job is in great shape.

Here's an old photo of mine from 1977:

I sold it around 1983. Been kicking myself ever since.
Old 02-11-16, 04:49 PM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

Liked 1,414 Times in 913 Posts
Wouldn't matter to me at all. Tires have logos, frames have logos, components have logos. We'd be ticked if they didn't.
Old 02-11-16, 06:20 PM
Brian Mc

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by gugie
Nicely done! That paint job is in great shape.

Here's an old photo of mine from 1977:

I sold it around 1983. Been kicking myself ever since.
I am wildly fond of the white bands on the red and to a lessor extent green mid 70's Super Course II's. Naturally I prefer the speed advantage of the red, but I found a marvelous example of a green one with Blumels, a lovely tan B17 and bar ends at a bargain price when my girlfriend was looking for a bike to give her son last summer. If I cold find a green mixte for her we'd be in hog heaven. Oh, wait. I'm in Iowa- this is hog heaven.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.