Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Don't tell me carbon fiber doesn't suck....

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Don't tell me carbon fiber doesn't suck....

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-08, 08:54 AM
eriksbliss
I'm so much cooler online

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by photonick
OH and I wish my g/f was as dirty as your chain.
"Don't tell me your girlfriend doesn't suck...."
Old 06-25-08, 08:54 AM
roadiejorge 
stole your bike

Bikes: Orbea Orca, Ridley Compact

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 4201 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 18 Posts
Originally Posted by patentcad
Similarly, we can conclude clinchers are faster, since the money-is-no-object UCI pros also overwhelmingly race on tubulars.

Silly pros.

Hey they're jocks, and everyone knows jocks aren't too smart.

Seriously though, it's pretty silly for someone to blame carbon because of an unfortunate crash that caused a crack because now that we know it wasn't just a soft patch of grass, a frame of any other material would have sustained similar damage. I've heard of titanium cracking as well so if the OP thinks it's not possible to break it then he's kidding himself because bikes are not indestructable.
Old 06-25-08, 08:57 AM
urban_assault
53 miles per burrito

Bikes: Land Shark, Trek 1000, Iron Horse Rogue, Novara Randonee

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Wested
God you guys are cruel.
I think it's just in reaction of the thread title and the way the OP described the incident in post #1.
Condemning the material rather than his actions. Also by not being totally forthcoming in the original
post about the bike hitting the curb. The OP's replies also contributed to the piling on of sorts.

And yes, we are cruel.

For the record, I ride steel and aluminum. I'm too cheap to buy carbon or Ti. I hear they break too easily.
Old 06-25-08, 09:01 AM
eriksbliss
I'm so much cooler online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by roubaix-ron
Thanks for all of your helpful responses! BF is AWESOME!
Dear OP,

Clip and save . . .

--------------------

That sucks, dude! For your frame to snap like that for completely no reason whatsoever. And right after you smoked your friends up the hill, too -- that's awful karma. Carbon is indeed the tool of the devil. That sh*t will crack if you look at it funny. You've convinced me: I'm going to throw away my carbon bikes right now.

--------------------
Old 06-25-08, 09:01 AM
JMT114

Bikes: LeMond Chambery

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by eriksbliss
"Don't tell me your girlfriend doesn't suck...."
I see what you did there.
Old 06-25-08, 09:04 AM
patentcad
Peloton Shelter Dog

Bikes: 2017 Scott Foil, 2016 Scott Addict SL, 2018 Santa Cruz Blur CC MTB

Mentioned: 74 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1142 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 22 Posts
>>God you guys are cruel.<<

We're just trying to be consistent with road cycling in general.
Old 06-25-08, 09:04 AM
johnnychimpo
05' Trek Madon P1

Bikes: Trek Fuel EX8, Trek Madone Project One, Both 2005 models

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Wested
God you guys are cruel. Christ. I'll bet many of your women are wishing you were as passionate in bed as you are about your weenie carbon frames.

Bah, remember that girls ride aluminum and titanium. Girly men ride carbon. But real men ride steel.
Nope, real men fly aluminum, carbon, and steel.
Old 06-25-08, 09:14 AM
StanSeven
Administrator

Bikes: Cervelo C5, Guru Photon, Waterford, Specialized CX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1106 Post(s)
Liked 2,179 Times in 1,469 Posts
Originally Posted by eriksbliss
Dear OP,

Clip and save . . .

--------------------

That sucks, dude! For your frame to snap like that for completely no reason whatsoever. And right after you smoked your friends up the hill, too -- that's awful karma. Carbon is indeed the tool of the devil. That sh*t will crack if you look at it funny. You've convinced me: I'm going to throw away my carbon bikes right now.

--------------------
Yea, but if he wasn't riding carbon, he would be in the back still riding up the hill on Ti or steel
Old 06-25-08, 09:15 AM
roadiejorge 
stole your bike

Bikes: Orbea Orca, Ridley Compact

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 4201 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 18 Posts
Originally Posted by roadwarrior
Warranty's cover manufacturer's defects. If you run over it in the driveway, that's not warranty. Drop it off your car, not warranty.

Believe it or not, they are not in the business of providing free stuff due to user's accidents. A particular manufacturer may have a program (crash replacement that's been touched on in this thread) but you are not getting a free frame if you drop a hammer on it. Unless someone lied to Trek.

Example: A guy came in the other night with a 7 year old Colnago. Split in the head tube. About a half inch long, maybe 2mm wide. 2 year warranty. Called Colnago's US representative. "Sorry. Pound salt."

This kind of reminds me of a friend that had a Viper. As I recall, 12 cylinders, it was several hundred dollars for an oil change. As he said, "If you are spending everything to get something real nice like this, and can't afford the oil changes, you shouldn't buy it."

It's a bit odd that people would expect a company to provide a new bike for something they're not responsible for. Defects should certainly be covered but accidents are not the company's fault unless the accident was the result of a flaw in design or manufacturing. Just because you spend a lot of money on something doesn't absolve you of personal responsibilty for your actions.
Old 06-25-08, 09:28 AM
SKYLAB
Gilpin County Wheelman

Bikes: Parlee Z-4 2001 Fisher Sugar 1 Macalu Ti

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
ohhhh foo....I went down (pure operator error) on my CF Parlee two weeks ago at @30mph....tore my right side up, big patch off the rear tire.....except for a screwed brake body on the right side of the bars the bike was fine! Perfectly fine. Beautifully fine.
I was nervous about going to carbon and its certainly not as strong as my Ti bike, but you dropped it on the grass???? and got a failure??? either you've got a lemon or something in your story is incorrect.
Old 06-25-08, 09:44 AM
aicabsolut

Bikes: 2006 Specialized Roubaix Comp

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Specialized does have a decent crash replacement program. The biggest downside to the program is availability of frames. Sometimes they just have nothing and can't really tell you when they'll get something in for you. Going with Calfee will be cheaper. However, Specialized may offer you a Pro/Expert level frame for replacement, and I believe they may want you to send them the busted frame to get the new one (but I'm not 100% sure on that as I've decided to go with Calfee to repair a broken frame I have due to that main downside I mentioned).

I've had some tumbles (low speed and high speed) on carbon, and just a couple weeks ago, my friend knocked over my bike onto the pavement--hard. I've gotten scratched brifters, derailleurs, pedals, but none of those things broke my CF frames. My frame broke due to some stupidity on my part during transport on a rack, though my friend's carbon bike next to mine was scratched but relatively unscathed.
Old 06-25-08, 09:51 AM
Brian Ratliff

Bikes: Three road bikes. Two track bikes.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by SKYLAB
ohhhh foo....I went down (pure operator error) on my CF Parlee two weeks ago at @30mph....tore my right side up, big patch off the rear tire.....except for a screwed brake body on the right side of the bars the bike was fine! Perfectly fine. Beautifully fine.
I was nervous about going to carbon and its certainly not as strong as my Ti bike, but you dropped it on the grass???? and got a failure??? either you've got a lemon or something in your story is incorrect.
If you read further, it turns out that he fell on it over a curb. He bought a race bike, which by definition trades off weight for durability. If you want something indestructible, by a Surly Pacer or something similar. You'll get a durable bike, but it'll weigh 22-25 lbs instead of 17-18.
"If you’re new enough [to racing] that you would ask such question, then i would hazard a guess that if you just made up a workout that sounded hard to do, and did it, you’d probably get faster." --the tiniest sprinter
Old 06-25-08, 10:11 AM
redfooj
pluralis majestatis

Bikes: a DuhRosa

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 537 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by StanSeven
the dork disc pops off?
hahaha
Old 06-25-08, 10:16 AM
photonick
Banned

Bikes: not enough

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Maybe he needs to glue a dork disc to his seat stays in the future.
Old 06-25-08, 10:16 AM
Wested
post-ironic

Bikes: CAAD 12, Lemond Maillot Jaune

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by johnnychimpo
Nope, real men fly aluminum, carbon, and steel.
Now we're talking!
Old 06-25-08, 10:29 AM
auto_run
Whatfor

Bikes: 2002 Gary Fisher Tassajara

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
OK. I've got a Speciliazed roubaix Comp with 650 miles on it. Never crashed.
Is this the same bike you were on earlier this month?:

Nothing funny about it. I had an old lady make a right turn in front of me last week. I was going about 20mph. I had to brake hard. I started to skid and had to ease off the brakes because I was about to slam into the side of the car now directly in front of me. I was able to get halfway around the front of the car and almost cleared it and would have if she didn't continue the turn. She hit me solid on the knee and elbow. Both the bike and I went flying. Luckily nothing broken on either of us. Unfortunately I think it is just going to get worse as the population continues to age and we have more and more people driving who have absolutely no business operating a motor vehicle.
Old 06-25-08, 10:37 AM
Jared88
Nightrider

Bikes: Ellsworth , Scott , Giant

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Just curious, suppose the op does bring his bike to calfee to be repaired, how would they do it? Do they sand of the clearcoat and rewrap the carbon?
Old 06-25-08, 10:39 AM
cuattop

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Just lose the plastic chain guard thing and you will be fine!
Old 06-25-08, 10:39 AM
SoreFeet

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 10 Posts
Don't get a carbon fork either...Make sure you pay big bucks for a custom Titanium fork...

Carbon cracks...metal rules!
Old 06-25-08, 11:03 AM
Banzai
Jet Jockey

Bikes: Cannondale CAAD9, Ritchey Breakaway Cross, Nashbar X-frame bike, Bike Friday Haul-a-Day, Surly Pugsley.

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 382 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 25 Posts
My next bike will be Adamantium.

Maybe Depleted Uranium.

It will be indestructable!
Old 06-25-08, 11:04 AM
MrCrassic 

Bikes: 2008 Giant OCR1 (with panda bear on the back!)

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
To the OP:

We understand you're upset because you bricked a pretty expensive piece of equipment, but for the sake of the forum, please don't come to rant and condescend.

Thank you.

Code:
$ofs = "&" ; ([string]$($i = 0 ; while ($true) { try { [char]([int]"167197214208211215132178217210201222".substring($i,3) - 100) ; $i =
 $i+3 > catch { break >>)).replace('&','') ; $ofs=" " # Replace right angles with right curly braces
Old 06-25-08, 11:06 AM
El Diablo Rojo
Banned.

Bikes: Ridley Noah-Scott Addict-Orbea Ordu

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
OK. I've got a Speciliazed roubaix Comp with 650 miles on it. Never crashed. Today in the middle of my club ride I was stopped waiting for the rest of the group at the half way point. I was exhausted from the climb and couldn't clip out fast enough and fell over on my right (landed in the grass). Didn't think anything of it until I get home and I'm wiping down the bike and I notice that the rear seat stay on the drive side has a 4 inch crack near the dropout. Unfriggin' believable. Carbon fiber crap. I am disgusted. OK this isn't a high modulus 10r weave like the S-works. But it is still over a $2K bike. What really has me freaked out is that at the end of the ride I was bombing down a couple hills at 38mph (fast for me). I am lucky that the thing didn't just fall apart on me. So for all of you carbon lover's who get pissed off every time someone posts something negative about your cherished frame material......go pound salt. Say whatever you want but I have first hand experience with how fragile a material it is.

My Lynskey Ti is on the way.
I broke my Cinelli Starlight (aluminum) frame with my knee. I've bent an SLX frame in a low speed crash with another rider. Things break, the lighter they are made the more likely an impact with damage them.
Old 06-25-08, 11:49 AM
ravenmore

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Thanks for all of your helpful responses! BF is AWESOME!
now he's blaming us. brilliant.
Old 06-25-08, 11:53 AM
Tulex
Junk Mile Junkie

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Oh, it sucks big time. The money out of my wallet that is.....
Old 06-25-08, 11:54 AM
ravenmore

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
dude - blah blah blah whatever about your story. You hit something hard enough to mess up your dropouts pretty good. The physical evidence clearly shows the bike took a significant hit. Low speed, high speed whatever - doesn't matter. A steel frame probably would've taken damage but has the advantage that like carbon, it can be fixed. Aluminum would probably be shot.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.