Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

People moving your bike w/o your permission

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

People moving your bike w/o your permission

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-17, 12:16 PM
DomaneS5
Fredly Fredster

Bikes: Trek Domane S5, Trek 1.1c, Motobecane Omni Strada Comp, Trek X-Caliber 6

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 208 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 16 Posts
Rig your bike up so it can electrocute anybody who touches it.
Old 03-23-17, 12:23 PM
jefnvk

Bikes: 2016 Novara Mazama

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 3640 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 51 Posts
Originally Posted by 1989Pre
Careful about broaching the subject to someone in authority?
Why does mtb need to be in authority to talk to someone in charge? I don't get your point.
In that all we have is his assurance that he can do what he is doing. There are many situations in which he could actually be in the wrong, that he doesn't actually have the authority to do what he is doing, or that the guy he suspects isn't even the one doing it, that bringing up the subject to management will end in a fail for him.

Even if it was generally let go, or even allowed, that people can park bikes where they want, turning this into a fight could well make management just issue a blanket "bikes on bike racks only". Wouldn't be the first time I saw a policy enacted because one person insisted pushing something that was tolerated.
Old 03-23-17, 12:30 PM
mtb_addict

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 3307 Post(s)
Liked 78 Times in 65 Posts
Originally Posted by jefnvk
Even if it was generally let go, or even allowed, that people can park bikes where they want, turning this into a fight could well make management just issue a blanket "bikes on bike racks only". Wouldn't be the first time I saw a policy enacted because one person insisted pushing something that was tolerated.
Yeah that's what I think I was worry about...since I'm not so good in tact.
Whole thing could blow up if I talk to someone and say things in the wrong way...I'm not a people-type person...if bosses get involved...investigation get started...unintented consequences...new rules...etc
I guess it best to let him win this one...I could just easily park my bike one window down from this guy.

Company bought a whole bunch of new bikes for employees to use.
So I expect their will be more tension between people who like bikes and the people who don't.

Last edited by mtb_addict; 03-23-17 at 12:36 PM.
Old 03-23-17, 12:37 PM
Fastfingaz

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 176 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by mtb_addict
I have 4 different bikes I rotately use as commuter. Two of them I could care less if someone snatches them.
But one of 'em I paid $1600, so I get annoyed when someone decide to push my expensive investment into a bike rack full of dirty rusty huffy and Next cruisers.
I always lock up the wheel on my favorite, just in case like I said an cycle savvy interns wants to take a test drive.

But I don't like it if someone moves even my crappy stuff without my permmission.
,,,you still don't make any sense,,,, I have four or six bikes too and I only lockup the ones I can stand to lose, the other one like my CF road bike I take it into the bathroom with me,,,,,but what ever ,, hope you get it resolved,,,,,,
Old 03-23-17, 12:37 PM
jefnvk

I guess it best to let him win this one...I could just easily park my bike one window down from this guy.
At least then, if it gets moved, you know it wasn't him
Old 03-23-17, 12:41 PM
Flip Flop Rider

Bikes: 2010 Fuji Absolute 3.0 1994 Trek 850

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 762 Post(s)
Liked 555 Times in 322 Posts
find out who has the office windows. go to them, and ask would they mind if you park your bike there. find yourself a spot
Old 03-23-17, 12:45 PM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5234 Post(s)
Liked 3,608 Times in 2,357 Posts
just find another place to park it. grumpy old men only get grumpier
Old 03-23-17, 12:50 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18423 Post(s)
Liked 4,544 Times in 3,376 Posts
I don't use the bike rack because I don't want my bike scratched up or bent,
I don't lock it...nothing to lock it to. It's a cheap Dahon...I don't need to lock it.

Why don't you talk to your boss, or building management about the bike parking situation.

If there is demand, perhaps they would add more racks, or covered racks. "Safer" parking?
Old 03-23-17, 12:50 PM
1989Pre 
Standard Member

Bikes: 1948 P. Barnard & Son, 1962 Rudge Sports, 1963 Freddie Grubb Routier, 1980 Manufrance Hirondelle, 1983 F. Moser Sprint, 1989 Raleigh Technium Pre, 2001 Raleigh M80

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1301 Post(s)
Liked 943 Times in 490 Posts
Originally Posted by jefnvk
In that all we have is his assurance that he can do what he is doing. There are many situations in which he could actually be in the wrong, that he doesn't actually have the authority to do what he is doing, or that the guy he suspects isn't even the one doing it, that bringing up the subject to management will end in a fail for him.

That's exactly that mtb needs an official ruling on this. If he takes matters into his own hands by making accusations (whether right or wrong), he could end up with poor results or even conflict. Use the chain of command.
Old 03-23-17, 12:53 PM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,550 Times in 1,055 Posts
Yeah that's what I think I was worry about...since I'm not so good in tact.
Whole thing could blow up if I talk to someone and say things in the wrong way...I'm not a people-type person...if bosses get involved...investigation get started...unintented consequences...new rules...etc
It appears that you have finally grasped the basis of your problem since the OP and have come up with the solution. Congratulations.
Old 03-23-17, 12:58 PM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Originally Posted by 1989Pre
That's exactly that mtb needs an official ruling on this. If he takes matters into his own hands by making accusations (whether right or wrong), he could end up with poor results or even conflict. Use the chain of command.
What makes you think his boss or the "chain of command" or anybody else gives a doo-doo about the sanctity of his favorite parking spot when he doesn't use the provided bike racks, or wouldn't consider him just a whining cry-baby if he did come to them with such a petty non-work related easily solved personal problem?
Old 03-23-17, 01:11 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7674 Post(s)
Liked 3,550 Times in 1,867 Posts
If MTB feels wronged, he is in a dangerous position, because quite possibly He is in the wrong, and when he goes off complaining, he will be told so.

Imagine if I decided to park my car wherever I wanted ... "Hey, dude, this awning keeps the bird poop off my finish ..." But hey ... I am parking it in somebody's garden.

Here's a thought for MTB---Don't Put Your Stuff Where People Will Move it.

We do all Share the world, eh? it is not here to please the guy in the office ... or the guy who wants to park in front of his office.

MTB is irked, and has not even bothered to care that he Knows he has irked the guy in the office. Hey, He Is Also a Person.

I am the sort of guy who pretty much ignores the rules---because they Are only for other people. Like Jimi Hendrix said, "I am the one who is going to die when it's time for me to die so ..." But I also am not a totally inconsiderate bustard, and I realize that sometimes I cannot have everything my way because the friction it causes goes way beyond any benefit I gain.

Maybe MTB needs to stopped being pissed at others and start thinking about who he is pissing off .... often times stuff like this can be talked out. Sometimes not ... but stomping around saying "I want what I want" is unbecoming.

If the bike is such a POS what difference does it make if it gets a little rain on it? Park it somewhere out of the way without an awning. Or park in front of a different window. Or park freaking Anywhere else. And if you don't even lock the thing, don't come here telling us how important it is to you.

This is a straight-up pi$$ing match. You violated someone's territory and they violated yours. And instead of solving it like intelligent people, both sides have just kept pi$$ing.

I'd say you are lucky the bike hasn't been confiscated. If it out of your possession and on someone else's property illegally, likely the person could toss it. I'd say you were lucky the person decided merely to move it, and not mess it up---particularly since you Refused to take a hint.

I'd say there are any number of solutions, but continuing the pi$$ing match is not one of them.
Old 03-23-17, 01:18 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
I wouldn't want strangers moving my bike, either. That's why I try not to leave it out of my sight in a place where strangers could move it.
Old 03-23-17, 01:21 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,357 Times in 863 Posts
on the weekend drop off a bucket full of concrete, in your car,

with a place in it cast into the cement to lock your bike up to..

still not permanent, but heavy to move.
Old 03-23-17, 01:22 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 3751 Post(s)
Liked 5,672 Times in 2,861 Posts
Obviously English is not OP's first language. That may be part of why he seems so obtuse. If he is here in US to work, he may be having trouble understanding local customs, etc. Failure in translation.
Old 03-23-17, 01:31 PM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1514 Post(s)
Liked 735 Times in 456 Posts
OP shouldn't complain, he should simply find the building manager and ask if it's permitted to park there. Most building managers don't want bikes parked against their windows or blocking any walkways. If not allowed, ask what the policy is. Then follow the policy without complaining or arguing. Anything else will risk escalation.
Old 03-23-17, 01:34 PM
mtb_addict

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 3307 Post(s)
Liked 78 Times in 65 Posts
I'm going to ask the building manager install a 10-bike bike rack infront of that guy's window. Haha.

Just kidding.
Old 03-23-17, 02:26 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

That would be rich.
Old 03-23-17, 02:37 PM
jefnvk

It would also be counterproductive, as the OP would then have two places he refused to park his bike
Old 03-23-17, 02:37 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18423 Post(s)
Liked 4,544 Times in 3,376 Posts
If I had a floor to ceiling office window, I'm not sure I'd want someone else's bike parked in front of it every day.

But there may be other motivations too. Perhaps the guy entertains clients, and feels that part of his job includes having a clean office environment including a pretty view out the window not obstructed by bicycles that should be in the rack.
Old 03-23-17, 02:48 PM
morfeeis

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
I'm pissed someone keep move my bike around.
I don't use the bike rack because I don't want my bike scratched up or bent,
and there's no rule against parking my bike on the side of an office building.
I have been puzzled why someone keeps moving my bike around.
Then, dawn on me, that whenever I park my bike infront of a particular window,
my bike gets moved while I'm inside building working.
One day I was locking up my bike in front of this particular window (a pretty good spot because it's covered, protected by awning) because my usual spot was taken up by two other bikes, and I look up and saw thru the window a older guy sitting inside the building staring me down with an old nasty look.
I guess he's the one been moving my bike around.
I guess he doesn't like having a bike in front of his window blocks his view of the outside, maybe.
What should one do? Find another spot to park (give in to his bullying) for sake of harmony?
Or confront him, stand my ground, because I have the right to park there?
I hate how these sort of topics turn into attacking the OP. no one should move your personal property unless they ask your permission first. it is an office setting and adults should know better. unless it is a safety hazard or he is your boss i'd speak up.

I wouldn't walk in an punch him, i'd do something like bring him a cup of coffee and or a donut and start up a conversation. "i see you have an office right next to the window mind if i ask you a question: someone moved my bike the other day do you know why they would do such a thing? is it in a fire zone or something"?
Old 03-23-17, 02:55 PM
Maelochs

I wouldn't mention "fire zone" .... might give the old guy ideas .....
Old 03-23-17, 02:56 PM
Humpy

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 7 Posts
OP thinks he's special and can leave his crap wherever he wants.
Old 03-23-17, 02:56 PM
coominya

Bikes: Giant ToughRoad Giant talon

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 705 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
The topic was "people moving your bike around without your permission" But no one seems to have addressed that yet? All I have read is comments on interpersonal dealings, building codes, insurance etc. If someone was moving my bike around I would find out who and confront them straight away. I'd probably take a polite but firm stand in resolving the problem and be open minded to the fact that it might not be the best place. No one should be moving anyone's bike, it's our private property.

Anyone who would move a bike in this sort of situation is obviously not a cyclist and wouldn't realize how sensitive things like derailleurs are to minor impacts. Let the situation go on and you're likely to come out after work and find it has been accidentally damaged. Stop dithering about and confront this guy today. BTW, if he has a window office he's just as likely to be someone of importance in the company.

Last edited by coominya; 03-23-17 at 03:02 PM.
Old 03-23-17, 03:19 PM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Originally Posted by Humpy
OP thinks he's special and can leave his crap wherever he wants.
Obviously, he is not the only BFer who feels that way as some the responses on this thread indicate. At least the OP has figured out how to resolve the problem without following the advice of the militant crap strewers.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.