Search
Notices
Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals. Use this subforum for all requests as to "How much is this vintage bike worth?"Do NOT try to sell it in here, use the Marketplaces.

Matsuri "The Track"

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-22, 01:42 PM
dukeofearl 

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked 88 Times in 41 Posts
Matsuri "The Track"

cool bike but too big for me and my knees can't handle fixed gear. got it with another bike. could always sell the frame/parts and keep the wheelset for a non-fixie ss. i believe sunshine pro am hubs but can't really read it.

Old 10-08-22, 02:23 PM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Quoted: 26425 Post(s)
Liked 10,381 Times in 7,209 Posts
...a high tensile steel track frame is probably not going to bring top dollar, but we do live in an age where larger urban centers have a set of younger riders, who adore fixed gear bikes. I've only bought and sold one or two of them, so I don't know about pricing. I imagine the quality of the wheels and components might be sort of mid level as well. Anyone who wanted a real track bike back in ancient times usually went with a better frame. I imagine that was used as a cadence trainer. I have one I use for that, early in the Spring, to shake off the winter doldrums.
Old 10-08-22, 08:51 PM
wrk101
Thrifty Bill

Bikes: 86 Katakura Silk, 87 Prologue X2, 88 Cimarron LE, 1975 Sekai 4000 Professional, 73 Paramount, plus more

Mentioned: 96 Post(s)
Quoted: 1236 Post(s)
Liked 964 Times in 628 Posts
Front is Sunshine PRO AM which is very nice. Rear, I am not so sure? Where is the center oil port cover? I've got a set of these but they are road version. Lots of pretty nice parts here. Someone will want it.
Old 10-08-22, 09:29 PM
dukeofearl 

yeah it's strange the rear hub does look slightly different and isn't qr, but looks like same rims

any thoughts on what it might sell for?
Old 10-08-22, 11:27 PM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Quoted: 26425 Post(s)
Liked 10,381 Times in 7,209 Posts
Originally Posted by dukeofearl
yeah it's strange the rear hub does look slightly different and isn't qr, but looks like same rims<br /><br />
...it's not unusual for a single speed, either with a track hub or with a flip flop hub, to have a nutted axle in the back. Most of mine have been set up that way.
Old 10-09-22, 07:30 AM
Dylansbob 
2k miles from the midwest

Bikes: ~'75 Colin Laing, '80s Schwinn SuperSport 650b, ex-Backroads ti project...

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 525 Post(s)
Liked 931 Times in 446 Posts
Looks like a pretty entry-level track iron. Sadly, it's no longer 2006 so the market on track bikes has dropped tremendously. You might get $300 from the right person, but unless you're in a major metropolis or near a velodrome it'll be tough to find a buyer. $200-250 might move it.
Old 10-10-22, 06:11 AM
dukeofearl 

Originally Posted by Dylansbob
Looks like a pretty entry-level track iron. Sadly, it's no longer 2006 so the market on track bikes has dropped tremendously. You might get $300 from the right person, but unless you're in a major metropolis or near a velodrome it'll be tough to find a buyer. $200-250 might move it.
thanks, i'd be happy with something in that range. i'm near a big city so hopefully i'll have some luck.
Old 10-10-22, 06:36 AM
himespau 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 4236 Post(s)
Liked 2,949 Times in 1,808 Posts
Good luck, it is an interesting bike.
Likes For himespau:
Old 06-22-23, 04:29 PM
soundwavvves

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Do you still have this bike? My very first fixed gear some 13ish years ago was a Matsuri track like this one, and it would be so cool to get another.
Old 06-22-23, 07:25 PM
zukahn1 

Bikes: Current 79 Nishiki Custum Sport, Jeunet 620, notable previous bikes P.K. Ripper loop tail, Kawahara Laser Lite, Paramount Track full chrome, Raliegh Internatioanl, Motobecan Super Mirage. 59 Crown royak 3 speed

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 791 Post(s)
Liked 1,774 Times in 638 Posts
Not sure it matters much the rear hub rim wheel are replacements and likely not NJS kairin yet the rest seem to be at lower level. This one is tough I would prefer not to give price and suggest flip the rear wheel and ride it for a bit as none fixed. If your just looking for value the seat post and stem are worth $50-100 each and crankset with BB pedals dust caps sold to the BMX crowd $150 or so.

Last edited by zukahn1; 06-22-23 at 07:48 PM.
Old 06-23-23, 06:08 AM
TugaDude

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 586 Post(s)
Liked 612 Times in 447 Posts
As stated above, the rear axles are generally nutted, because of the amount of force exerted. Unless you have a quality skewer, the force can pull the wheel forward in the fork ends. That could lead to losing your chain, probably at the worst moment.

It is a cool bike with some really nice components.
Old 06-23-23, 08:08 AM
soundwavvves

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I’m a little confused, guys.

This thread was dead for nine months and then I came and asked OP if they still had the bike, and now we’re speculating on components and setup.

FWIW the Matsuri bikes, or at least the track, appear to have been a lower-end offering consisting of a Hi-Tensile frame and components of a similar caliber, save for the cockpit and the bmx-style cranks. It was not a Keirin race bike, though, and was never intended to be.

By pure chance, I happened to stumble upon one in 2010 and rode it as my first fixed gear. I didn’t know anything about track bikes or Japanese steel at that time, but I loved the look of the lugged frame, the aggressive stance, and the cream, chrome and red color scheme. It was a great entry bike for me, and I had a lot of fun riding and customizing it for a couple years until a car hit it and bent the frame up while locked in front of a bar in downtown Austin.

I went on to build some much nicer track bikes, including the 3Rensho that I ride today, but nostalgia had me wondering if there were still any Matsuri bikes out there, and that led me to this thread.

Also, I tried to include some photos of my old bike in this post but was disappointed to see that new members aren’t allowed to share or even link photos for their first 10 posts 😕

Last edited by soundwavvves; 06-23-23 at 12:12 PM.
Old 06-23-23, 09:13 PM
Hummer

Bikes: 1981 Raleigh GP, 1985 Norco Bush Pilot, . . .

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 241 Post(s)
Liked 187 Times in 136 Posts
@soundwavvves album: https://www.bikeforums.net/g/album/29826045
Old 06-23-23, 09:23 PM
soundwavvves

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Awesome, thanks Hummer!

In case anyone is interested, those are some photos of my Matsuri track build at various stages.

It was a fun bike!

Also, apologies for resurrecting this old thread, guys.
Old 06-25-23, 06:39 PM
dukeofearl 

Originally Posted by soundwavvves
Do you still have this bike? My very first fixed gear some 13ish years ago was a Matsuri track like this one, and it would be so cool to get another.
hey - just saw this. i don't have the bike anymore. i didn't know what to expect but put it on ebay for $300 and it sold within a couple days.
Old 06-26-23, 07:04 AM
TugaDude

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 586 Post(s)
Liked 612 Times in 447 Posts
Originally Posted by dukeofearl
hey - just saw this. i don't have the bike anymore. i didn't know what to expect but put it on ebay for $300 and it sold within a couple days.
Glad you came back to update us! I hope the purchaser is riding the heck out of it!