Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Chain rotation plan for cassette longevity

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Chain rotation plan for cassette longevity

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-22, 05:03 PM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

Bikes: Trek FX 2, Cannondale Synapse, Cannondale CAAD4, Santa Cruz Stigmata GRX

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1948 Post(s)
Liked 1,471 Times in 1,020 Posts
Originally Posted by GhostRider62
SRAM 11-28 has the 16.....11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 19.....plus, the red version lasts forever
For me, the 11T cog is a waste, and the 19T to 22T jump is a bit big.
Old 02-12-22, 01:13 AM
Racing Dan

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1335 Post(s)
Liked 318 Times in 216 Posts
Originally Posted by mihlbach
I just acquired a new Litespeed Ultimate Disk with Ultegra Di2 R8170. Inexplicably, the bike came stocked with a Dura Ace cassette, which, as the larger cogs are made of titanium, is not as durable as Ultegra. I don't know the reason for the upgrade. Perhaps there is a shortage of Ultegra cassettes.

In the past, I have only used all-steel cassettes, and I have never bothered with complicated chain rotation schemes to increase cassette life, as the money saved is not worth the extra hassle. I don't count how many chains I normally get per cassette, but probably 3-4 chains per cassette as long as I replace each chain before 0.75%.

But now that I have an obscenely overpriced cassette that I did not anticipate owning, perhaps it will be worthwhile to attempt to stretch its life as long as I can. I have heard of people rotating between 2-4 chains at regular intervals to maximize cassette life. Can someone here who has tried such as strategy give me their plan?

How many chains do you have in the rotation?
How often do you rotate chains?...as a set number of miles or at certain intervals of measurable wear?
In practice, does rotating chains actually seem to extend cassette longevity, or does it seem like a fruitless exercise that causes more work with no tangible benefit?
Not sure its worth it. Usually such schemes are more convoluted than I would care for and usually they fail to account for the two speed "cassette" in the other end. Rotating a few, more and more worn chains to not have them skip on the cassette will wear on the chain rings that may or may not be expensive. Tiagra level, cheap enough to not care. Boutique stuff, often equally expense as the DA cassette.

I'm guessing what makes sense is largely reliant on specific spare part price. On my main bike that I use year round, gravel and wet cold winter too, Im still on 10s, mostly Tiagra level, with a nicer crank sprinkled in. I just replace the chain before it goes completely and have had no issues with skipping or noticeable premature wear. So far about 10.000 km on the same cassette and rings, 4th. chain.
Old 02-12-22, 02:57 AM
Racing Dan

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1335 Post(s)
Liked 318 Times in 216 Posts
Originally Posted by cyclezen
I believe I now own all the NOS 10 spd Ultegra 13-25 cassettes on the Planet !!! moo ha ha !!!
... problem is that I find that I now also need a 27 or 28 ...
... I just don;t get the 11 thing on cassettes being used by normal humans? Ok, an 11 DuraAce on a suitable cog range, for the super-human or juicers, but 11s in 105 or even ultegra ??? iff'n you can't do it in a 12 or 13, it's certainly not gonna happen with an 11...
But 16 and 18 are always cogs any journeyman rider will really like and desire...
Bike fashion is inscrutable
Ride On
Yuri
Imo, the only reason to give you a 11, but not a 16 (and a too big cranks) is to generate demand for 12s and eventually 13s gear groups. With a proper size crank and a well thought out cassette you'd be fine with 10s or even 9s gears. Only no bikes come stock with such configurations and its a real faff obtaining a bunch of different parts and making then play nice together. That is if you can even get what you want.
Old 02-12-22, 10:40 AM
Branko D

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 338 Post(s)
Liked 408 Times in 252 Posts
Preferences rather than a nefarious plot.

Personally, I don't grasp how could someone not want a 11t. Going downhill on a compact - which is better matched to my power than anything larger - without a 11t would be noticeably less fun. On the other hand, 16 tooth, meh. I just don't find the 11-30 cassettes to have any objectionable gaps.
​​​​​
When I move to 12 speed it'll have a 11-34 cassette - no 16t, but same gaps as the 11-30 with an extra low gear for the more ridiculous slopes.

Sure, 6 or 7 or 9 or 10 or 11 speed is "enough" but one more always ends up useful. I know a couple of old cyclists, for them some of the more epic local climbs were a bit of a heroic endeavour on a racing bike. Now they are a bit routine - even for cyclists who aren't the fittest.

​​​​

Last edited by Branko D; 02-12-22 at 11:13 AM.
Likes For Branko D:
Old 02-12-22, 11:50 AM
SpedFast
Just Pedaling

Bikes: YEP!

Quoted: 334 Post(s)
Liked 522 Times in 348 Posts
Originally Posted by Branko D
Preferences rather than a nefarious plot.

Personally, I don't grasp how could someone not want a 11t. Going downhill on a compact - which is better matched to my power than anything larger - without a 11t would be noticeably less fun. On the other hand, 16 tooth, meh. I just don't find the 11-30 cassettes to have any objectionable gaps.
​​​​​
When I move to 12 speed it'll have a 11-34 cassette - no 16t, but same gaps as the 11-30 with an extra low gear for the more ridiculous slopes.

Sure, 6 or 7 or 9 or 10 or 11 speed is "enough" but one more always ends up useful. I know a couple of old cyclists, for them some of the more epic local climbs were a bit of a heroic endeavour on a racing bike. Now they are a bit routine - even for cyclists who aren't the fittest.

​​​​
I couldn't agree more with your 11T comment. Even with a slight tailwind I'm in that gear and I have 52/36 cranks. With a 28T low it's never much of a struggle on hills up to about 14% incline and I'm old haha.
Old 02-12-22, 02:21 PM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

Originally Posted by Branko D
Personally, I don't grasp how could someone not want a 11t. Going downhill on a compact - which is better matched to my power than anything larger - without a 11t would be noticeably less fun. On the other hand, 16 tooth, meh. I just don't find the 11-30 cassettes to have any objectionable gaps.​​​​
It's not that I don't want an 11T cog; it's just that I would rather have the 16T cog instead given (a) the terrain in my local area and (b) my current fitness level.

Originally Posted by SpedFast
I couldn't agree more with your 11T comment. Even with a slight tailwind I'm in that gear and I have 52/36 cranks. With a 28T low it's never much of a struggle on hills up to about 14% incline and I'm old haha.
It is not old age; it is the fact that I (still) have too much mass.
Old 02-14-22, 07:35 PM
GBK233

Bikes: 2020 Giant Advanced 2, 2020 Giant Contend AR1

Quoted: 166 Post(s)
Liked 78 Times in 34 Posts
It’s not like cassettes and/or are crazy expensive. All of that time and hassle ain’t worth it imo. I have 3000 miles on my cassette and it looks amazing,
Old 02-14-22, 07:40 PM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

Originally Posted by GBK233
It’s not like cassettes and/or are crazy expensive. All of that time and hassle ain’t worth it imo. I have 3000 miles on my cassette and it looks amazing,
Dura-Ace cassettes with the faster-wearing titanium big cogs are somewhat expensive, if not crazy expensive.