Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

Cagers and "selfies" while #drivingtowork

Search
Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-13, 12:49 PM
agent pombero
Mmm hm!

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Dangerous, disgusting, and pathetic. Can you believe what people do in their rolling couch?

https://news.yahoo.com/selfies-with-a...142045416.html
Old 11-02-13, 12:57 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5793 Post(s)
Liked 2,592 Times in 1,436 Posts
Originally Posted by agent pombero
Dangerous, disgusting, and pathetic. Can you believe what people do in their rolling couch?

l
Nothing that people do or post on Facebook or You Tube amazes me anymore. I used to wonder about criminals posting videos of robberies or muggings, but it's apparently so common that cops use them routinely to find perps.

I'm no longer surprised at the stupidity and what people think is fun or funny, and while I wonder about it I'm not surprised at what folks decide to record and broadcast to the world. Not only are they dumb, but they seem to be proud of it.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Old 11-02-13, 01:01 PM
howsteepisit

Bikes: Canyon Endurace SLX 8Di2

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 510 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 14 Posts
Seems like its sometimes nice to be so old that I really don't get it. This is one of those times.
Old 11-03-13, 07:52 AM
Jimi77
Used & Abused

Bikes: GT Avalanche 2.0 + Burley D'lite

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by FBinNY
Nothing that people do or post on Facebook or You Tube amazes me anymore. I used to wonder about criminals posting videos of robberies or muggings, but it's apparently so common that cops use them routinely to find perps.

I'm no longer surprised at the stupidity and what people think is fun or funny, and while I wonder about it I'm not surprised at what folks decide to record and broadcast to the world. Not only are they dumb, but they seem to be proud of it.
I'm not sure what's worse: That they're proud of their stupidity or that they're too stupid to realize how stupid they are?
Old 11-03-13, 09:37 AM
BobbyG

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 2007 Dahon Boardwalk, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International, 2006 Felt F65, 1989 Dahon Getaway V

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1364 Post(s)
Liked 1,678 Times in 827 Posts
Twenty-five years ago in Cedar Rapids/Iowa City I was watching KCRG-TV news and the reporter was in the front seat of the news van, talking and turned around to face the cameraman on the right hand side of the 2nd row seat while she was driving up Dubuque Street in Iowa City. I called the station as they were being innundated by callers. It seemed like 15 seconds or so.
Old 11-03-13, 09:40 AM
Shimagnolo

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 3376 Post(s)
Liked 5,526 Times in 2,864 Posts
Originally Posted by Jimi77
I'm not sure what's worse: That they're proud of their stupidity or that they're too stupid to realize how stupid they are?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hanlon's_razor
Old 11-03-13, 08:57 PM
Pedaleur
Je pose, donc je suis.

Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
My favorite is watching people walk across a large parking lot near where I work, get in their cars, take out their cell phones, and start driving.

I guess they figure they can talk and drive but not talk and walk.

#mindboggling
Old 11-03-13, 09:02 PM
B. Carfree

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 509 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Pedaleur
My favorite is watching people walk across a large parking lot near where I work, get in their cars, take out their cell phones, and start driving.

I guess they figure they can talk and drive but not talk and walk.

#mindboggling
I saw the same behavior a few years back while waiting at a BART station. People would get off the train, walk to their cars, and only then did they pull out their phones and start yakking/texting. They can't walk and chew the fat, but they think they can drive and text/talk.
Old 11-03-13, 09:28 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,700 Times in 2,520 Posts
pretty common for people to get out their phone getting into the drivers seat. If someone can't safely walk and talk, what makes them think they can safely drive and talk. Somewhat mind-boggling.
Old 11-03-13, 11:26 PM
howsteepisit

Bikes: Canyon Endurace SLX 8Di2

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 510 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 14 Posts
I think that in some way its a conditioned response. When I used to smoke, I it was very difficult to start driving without lighting up. I see the same behavior in cell phone users, its become a conditioned response to start up and get on the phone. I'd really like to hear the conversations, because I think they run heavily to "I am leaving now, turning onto the street, guess where I am now" and so on. Personally, I am a bit too grumpy to give a damn when a person is starting to drive, let me know when you are getting there, and from then on I really do not care to hear the details.
Old 11-04-13, 12:27 AM
walrus1

Bikes: Schwinn World Sport Jamis Ventura

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I wonder how many people actually do this. If you click on the photo they lady states she was in her driveway. I kind of want to chalk this up to sensationalist "journalism." But then again people text, email and drive all day long. Also can someone explain this selfie thing to me? I thought it means you weren't cool enough to have friends who wanted to take your photo. But it seems everyone does it.

Last edited by walrus1; 11-04-13 at 12:33 AM.
Old 11-04-13, 12:52 AM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,538 Times in 1,047 Posts
Originally Posted by walrus1
I wonder how many people actually do this. If you click on the photo they lady states she was in her driveway. I kind of want to chalk this up to sensationalist "journalism.
When you see the words cager and cell phone in the same A&S post, count on the content and intent being the stuff of sensationalist "journalism.
Old 11-04-13, 09:16 AM
dynodonn 
Banned

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 1268 Post(s)
Liked 78 Times in 67 Posts
My guess on why people are more willing to talk on cell phones while driving, is probably due to privacy, with many persons not feeling comfortable about having a cell phone conversation in public.
Old 11-04-13, 10:02 AM
GP

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I wait until I'm in my car so I can use the bluetooth.
Old 11-04-13, 10:18 AM
genec
genec

Bikes: custom built, sannino, beachbike, giant trance x2

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 13658 Post(s)
Liked 4,532 Times in 3,158 Posts
Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike
When you see the words cager and cell phone in the same A&S post, count on the content and intent being the stuff of sensationalist "journalism.
There's your "sensational journalism."
Old 11-04-13, 10:26 AM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5793 Post(s)
Liked 2,592 Times in 1,436 Posts
Originally Posted by dynodonn
My guess on why people are more willing to talk on cell phones while driving, is probably due to privacy, with many persons not feeling comfortable about having a cell phone conversation in public.
No, it's much more simple. Folks can't be alone with themselves for any length of time. They are on their cell phones something short of 24/4 (they have to sleep). They're on the phone walking, on train platforms, at the airport, on the bus. You see the effects of cell phone withdrawal on airplanes where people get so antsy they can't wait for permission to get back on after landing.

My question is what do they have to talk about to fill that much cell phone time?

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Old 11-04-13, 11:04 AM
Number400

Bikes: Cannondale Slate 105 and T2 tandem, 2008 Scott Addict R4, Raleigh SC drop bar tandem

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I think they have it down pretty well here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u7T3_0vIUl4

Originally Posted by FBinNY

My question is what do they have to talk about to fill that much cell phone time?
Old 11-04-13, 11:18 AM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Originally Posted by genec
There's your "sensational journalism."
Correct; one incident, period.
Note: No bicycling content in this thread, just the same old, same old whining.

Last edited by I-Like-To-Bike; 11-04-13 at 11:21 AM.
Old 11-04-13, 11:34 AM
genec
genec

Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike
Correct; one incident, period.
Note: No bicycling content in this thread, just the same old, same old whining.
Right, no bike content... Because NO ONE is collecting data on bicycle/automobile collisions. Heck, such collisions are barely given blame. "the biker swerved..." "oh yeah, they do that..." Case closed.
Old 11-04-13, 11:34 AM
Dave Cutter

Bikes: '17 Access Old Turnpike Gravel bike, '14 Trek 1.1, '13 Cannondale CAAD 10, '98 CAD 2, R300

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 1571 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by agent pombero
Try a search for "How to selfie on a bicycle". Like this one:

Old 11-04-13, 11:41 AM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Originally Posted by Dave Cutter
Try a search for "How to selfie on a bicycle". Like this one:

OMG! Now it will be mayhem on all bike paths, bike lanes, bike trails, sidewalks, and especially on all streets where these cell phone wielding bicyclists are harming pedestrians and cyclists left and right. Don't let the lack of any credible data indicating a problem fool anyone; THEY are out there! Fear them!

Last edited by I-Like-To-Bike; 11-04-13 at 11:47 AM.
Old 11-04-13, 11:46 AM
noisebeam
Arizona Dessert

Bikes: Cannondale SuperSix, Lemond Poprad. Retired: Jamis Sputnik, Centurion LeMans Fixed, Diamond Back ascent ex

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 5345 Post(s)
Liked 2,169 Times in 1,288 Posts
Originally Posted by unterhausen
pretty common for people to get out their phone getting into the drivers seat. If someone can't safely walk and talk, what makes them think they can safely drive and talk. Somewhat mind-boggling.
That is what I do and set it in the cup holder. That way I can glance over at phone and see who is calling and decide if I need to find a place to pull over or not. If I leave it in my pocket I end up swerving all over the roadway trying to get it out to see who is calling.
Old 11-04-13, 11:52 AM
genec
genec

Originally Posted by noisebeam
That is what I do and set it in the cup holder. That way I can glance over at phone and see who is calling and decide if I need to find a place to pull over or not. If I leave it in my pocket I end up swerving all over the roadway trying to get it out to see who is calling.
I just let it go to voice mail until it is convenient for me to answer. Every cell phone has VM.
Old 11-04-13, 01:28 PM
spivonious

Bikes: 2012 Trek Allant, 2016 Bianchi Volpe Disc

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BobbyG
Twenty-five years ago in Cedar Rapids/Iowa City I was watching KCRG-TV news and the reporter was in the front seat of the news van, talking and turned around to face the cameraman on the right hand side of the 2nd row seat while she was driving up Dubuque Street in Iowa City. I called the station as they were being innundated by callers. It seemed like 15 seconds or so.
Our local news did the same thing during a story about distracted driving. My wife commented on their Facebook page; it was removed within five minutes.
Old 11-04-13, 01:48 PM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Originally Posted by genec
I just let it go to voice mail until it is convenient for me to answer. Every cell phone has VM.
I have an even more effective method. I don't turn the cell phone on unless I am expecting a call or want to make one. I seldom call my wife, usually only to tell her if I might be late for dinner. Only immediate family know my cell phone number, and none use it as the primary means of reaching me.
I can't help any of them when on my bike or away from home. In an emergency they could call 911.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.