Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Boise war on goatheads

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Boise war on goatheads

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-23, 06:00 PM
Joe Bikerider

Bikes: 1969 Peugeot PX10, 1992 Della Santa, Linus Roadster 8, Biria 700C ST-8

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 794 Post(s)
Liked 509 Times in 323 Posts
Boise war on goatheads

See here:

https://www.idahostatesman.com/news/local/community/boise/article275323271.html

enjoy.
Likes For Joe Bikerider:
Old 05-13-23, 07:46 PM
Barry2 
LR÷P=HR

Bikes: 1981 Holdsworth Special, 1993 C-dale MT3000 & 1996 F700CAD3, 2018 Cervelo R3 & 2022 R5, JustGo Runt, Ridley Oval, Kickr Bike 8-)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 867 Post(s)
Liked 1,205 Times in 694 Posts
I had no idea goatheads are not native.

I do know they tried to get ahold of my driveway.
it didn’t workout well for them.

Barry
Old 05-14-23, 12:00 AM
TiHabanero

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1746 Post(s)
Liked 1,376 Times in 721 Posts
Stemming from the article it seems that raising property values will help with the task of eliminating the weed. It must somehow change the composition of the soil making it unable to support the plant.
Old 05-14-23, 12:19 AM
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc

Bikes: everywhere

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12790 Post(s)
Liked 7,698 Times in 4,087 Posts
Originally Posted by TiHabanero
Stemming from the article it seems that raising property values will help with the task of eliminating the weed. It must somehow change the composition of the soil making it unable to support the plant.
Around here it mostly works that way because more rich folk pay for landscape maintenance crews.

One notable exception is some rather expensive homes on 5 acre lots. Their horses will keep most of the weeds down but they often have goatheads along the fence line.
Old 05-14-23, 12:29 AM
HelpSingularity 

Bikes: 1974 Masi GC, 1982 Trek 728 (aka 720), 1992 Trek Multitrack 750

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked 222 Times in 140 Posts
After having spent some time in Bakersfield, California and Denver, Colorado I can now spot those low-lying, yellow flowered demon plants from hell from 20 meters away.
I wish them luck in their efforts to rid their state of this scourge.
Once they have it figured out hopefully we can expand the eradication program to the rest of the western states.
Godspeed!

(If you can't tell I hate those things)
Likes For HelpSingularity:
Old 05-14-23, 05:46 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Quoted: 18429 Post(s)
Liked 15,584 Times in 7,339 Posts
Spent a night in Boise way back in 2002. That year Cycle Oregon started in Nyssa, OR, on the border with ID, so they encouraged people to fly into Boise rather than take the long bus ride from Portland to the start. Saw lots of sugar beet fields during the bus ride to Nyssa.
Old 05-14-23, 09:24 AM
VegasTriker

Bikes: Catrike 700, Greenspeed GTO trike, , Linear LWB recumbent, Haluzak Horizon SWB recumbent, Balance 450 MTB, Cannondale SM800 Beast of the East

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 523 Post(s)
Liked 230 Times in 182 Posts
The goathead is one tough plant. I doubt you can do anything to the soil that would make it hostile to goatheads. Where I live in the Mojave desert they grow along the edges of the roadways in the crappiest soil imaginable. It takes just enough runoff from the road for them to thrive. They will grow anywhere. On a trip to Zion National Park with my trike, I discovered a patch at the bike parking rack for the main lodge. I reported it to the ranger as mature goatheads at the bike rack could get nasty for riders who aren't aware of them. They grow along portions of the bike path leading from the entrance to the end of the road at the narrows. If you ever go to Zion and use the paths, be alert.
Old 05-14-23, 10:12 AM
mschwett 

Bikes: addict, aethos, creo, vanmoof, sirrus, public ...

Quoted: 1279 Post(s)
Liked 1,393 Times in 711 Posts
those things look vicious. nature's own road spikes/caltrops. interesting how they seem "designed" to land with the spike up...
Old 05-14-23, 12:22 PM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1514 Post(s)
Liked 734 Times in 455 Posts
Originally Posted by LesterOfPuppets
Around here it mostly works that way because more rich folk pay for landscape maintenance crews.

One notable exception is some rather expensive homes on 5 acre lots. Their horses will keep most of the weeds down but they often have goatheads along the fence line.
It ain't the horses, it's probably the owners who spray. Horses eat the grass and leave the weeds to grow.
Old 05-14-23, 12:31 PM
RCMoeur 
Cantilever believer

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 538 Post(s)
Liked 1,846 Times in 835 Posts
Grrr. Goatheads. One of the few evil pointy things that can defeat a SpinSkin (some of the others being steel wire or a self-tapping screw).

Year before last, an aid station at El Tour de Tucson was set up at a location where one of the exits had goatheads mixed into the loose dirt. Kept Bike Patrol a bit too busy at that spot. This past year the station was in a different location, so not an issue.

Once in a while, they'll pop up on our property. If there was just a way I could torture them and leave their carcasses posted as a warning to others. (Am I being too harsh?)
Old 05-14-23, 03:10 PM
Fredo76
The Wheezing Geezer

Bikes: 1976 Fredo Speciale, Rivendell Clem Smith Jr., Libertas mixte

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 414 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 449 Posts
I weeded our street in Aug-Sept of 2020. Maybe 15 bags with thousands in each bag went to the landfill. I was pretty thorough, and some neighbors actually seem to be helping keep them back - no big mats of them since.
Old 05-14-23, 03:21 PM
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc

I haven't spotted any goatheads in my yard yet this season, I've pulled a couple of globe chamomile weeds though.
Old 05-14-23, 03:37 PM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Quoted: 6222 Post(s)
Liked 4,222 Times in 2,368 Posts
Originally Posted by TiHabanero
It’s not the composition but the competition. Tribulus terrestris is a pioneer plant that thrives in disturbed soils. Competition from other plants causes them to die back. However, the seeds can lie dormant for up to 50 years waiting for the proper conditions…i.e. other plant removal…to sprout again. Often, here in Colorado, new bike paths will be infested with them for a number of years before enough other plant cover grows to force them out. Even then, goatheads tend to grow in the soil trapped in expansion joints on bike paths and sidewalks as well as along road ways were sand is often used in the winter for traction purpose.

Wealthier areas tend to have more intense landscaping than poorer places which precludes infiltration of goatheads.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 05-14-23, 03:41 PM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Quoted: 6222 Post(s)
Liked 4,222 Times in 2,368 Posts
This guy should be beatified.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Likes For cyccommute:
Old 05-14-23, 03:50 PM
50PlusCycling

Quoted: 554 Post(s)
Liked 824 Times in 414 Posts
I grew up in New Mexico, and because of goat heads, I became very good at patching tubes. One tube could have as many as a dozen patches, As a kid, I, like the other kids in the neighborhood, went out a lot barefoot, and it was a rare summer day when I didn’t pull out a least a couple goat head stickers from my feet. Bad as goat heads are, their thorns are nothing compared those of the mesquite, which easily penetrate through shoes and even the sidewalls of car tires.
Old 05-14-23, 04:11 PM
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc

Originally Posted by 50PlusCycling
I grew up in New Mexico, and because of goat heads, I became very good at patching tubes. One tube could have as many as a dozen patches, As a kid, I, like the other kids in the neighborhood, went out a lot barefoot, and it was a rare summer day when I didn’t pull out a least a couple goat head stickers from my feet. Bad as goat heads are, their thorns are nothing compared those of the mesquite, which easily penetrate through shoes and even the sidewalls of car tires.
Mesquite, bougainvillea, orange tree thorns, all fun stuff. There's always one in your flipflops/slides that only hits your foot every 20 steps or so, gotta pull 'em out with some needle nose pliers to get happy feet again
Old 05-16-23, 10:24 AM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

Bikes: Scott Addict R1, Felt Z1

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 3432 Post(s)
Liked 3,567 Times in 1,793 Posts
Originally Posted by cyccommute
It’s not the composition but the competition. Tribulus terrestris is a pioneer plant that thrives in disturbed soils. Competition from other plants causes them to die back.
Can confirm -- goatheads don't do well at all against other plants.

Stanford University used to have a huge problem with goathead punctures along the paved bikeways. Some research identified the problem: grounds maintenance were spraying to keep plants (mostly grasses) away from the path edges. With this ground free of competitors, goathead plants thrived. Once maintenance stopped spraying and switched to trimming the plants, the goathead problem went away.

Likes For terrymorse:
Old 05-16-23, 11:14 AM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4806 Post(s)
Liked 3,933 Times in 2,558 Posts
Originally Posted by mschwett
those things look vicious. nature's own road spikes/caltrops. interesting how they seem "designed" to land with the spike up...
Probably so some animal can step on it and transport it to new territory. The seeds that land spike down are failures in the goathead dream of world dominance. They'll never do more than just hand at their local goathead ghetto.
Likes For 79pmooney:
Old 05-16-23, 12:34 PM
Broctoon
Super-duper Genius

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 768 Post(s)
Liked 984 Times in 508 Posts
Goat heads and the weeds that produce them (we call them puncture vines, and they are the bane of my existence) are very nasty, tough, and persistent. They can grow with very little water. In fact, I've often witnessed them thriving in hard, dry soil, in spite of the above linked article's claim that they do best in disturbed, sandy soil. They can pop up anywhere, even in pavement cracks. Left alone, they will propagate to cover large areas. One large plant can produce hundreds of thorns. I've seen them reach eight or ten feet in diameter. It can take up to eight years to completely eradicate them from a plot of land, even with focused, deliberate efforts each season. The best way to discourage them from growing, aside from manually removing the plants one by one, is to keep healthy grass growing, which involves plenty of watering and fertilizing. While the puncture vines can handle harsh environments, they grow low to the ground and won't do well when competing for sunlight.

I wish the Boise folks well in this endeavor, and feel it would be like a dream come true if we could eliminate goat heads everywhere.

Last edited by Broctoon; 05-16-23 at 12:43 PM.
Old 05-22-23, 11:23 AM
Erzulis Boat 
Le Crocodile

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 370 Post(s)
Liked 788 Times in 311 Posts
My memory may be faulty as to the exact count, but I can recall one incident of 30+ punctures within a few wheel revolutions of passing through a sand wash on a bike path.

I was commuting, so this really ruined my journey home.
Old 05-22-23, 12:41 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4806 Post(s)
Liked 3,933 Times in 2,558 Posts
Originally Posted by Erzulis Boat
My memory may be faulty as to the exact count, but I can recall one incident of 30+ punctures within a few wheel revolutions of passing through a sand wash on a bike path.

I was commuting, so this really ruined my journey home.
Some kid missed an opportunity. Perfect place to set up a "orange seal stand" like the ubiquitous lemonade stands on a hot summer day. (A "Stan stand"?) $10 for a 2 oz bottle. Valve wrench to borrow. $15 for a tube with a removable valve should you not have one. Don't like the prices? Well, you can just walk away. (You won't be riding.)
Likes For 79pmooney:
Old 05-22-23, 01:04 PM
Broctoon
Super-duper Genius

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 768 Post(s)
Liked 984 Times in 508 Posts
Originally Posted by 79pmooney
Probably so some animal can step on it and transport it to new territory.
Yes, that is the thorn's purpose in this plant's design, unlike the quills of a cactus, which are meant to protect the plant from creatures that might destroy it.

From a botanical standpoint, these thorns are a type of fruit, as are the fuzzy parachutes of dandelion or milkweed seeds and the leaflike structures that cause some tree seeds to spin like a helicopter rotor when falling. Of course, some fruits are carbohydrate-rich and often colorful or fragrant, encouraging animals to eat them and thereby transport seeds to new locations. Many different strategies to achieve the same objective, and the one used by puncture vines just happens to be problematic for us.

Last edited by Broctoon; 05-22-23 at 01:07 PM.
Old 05-22-23, 02:14 PM
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc

Originally Posted by Broctoon
Yes, that is the thorn's purpose in this plant's design, unlike the quills of a cactus, which are meant to protect the plant from creatures that might destroy it.

From a botanical standpoint, these thorns are a type of fruit, as are the fuzzy parachutes of dandelion or milkweed seeds and the leaflike structures that cause some tree seeds to spin like a helicopter rotor when falling. Of course, some fruits are carbohydrate-rich and often colorful or fragrant, encouraging animals to eat them and thereby transport seeds to new locations. Many different strategies to achieve the same objective, and the one used by puncture vines just happens to be problematic for us.
Well there are cholla which like to hitch a ride

Old 05-22-23, 02:32 PM
Fredo76
The Wheezing Geezer

Bikes: 1976 Fredo Speciale, Rivendell Clem Smith Jr., Libertas mixte

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 414 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 449 Posts
Carry a comb. ^^^
Old 05-22-23, 03:20 PM
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc

Originally Posted by Fredo76
Carry a comb. ^^^
My second least favorite cholla event (just behind falling into one) is when they stick in your front tyre, go round for about half a rotation then explode upon encountering your fork.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.