Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Rule of 105, 28 vs 32.. and the Rapide CLX

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Rule of 105, 28 vs 32.. and the Rapide CLX

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-24, 04:06 PM
choddo

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 682 Post(s)
Liked 453 Times in 338 Posts
Originally Posted by genejockey
Indeed. I'd imagine it that were so, some bright person would run 25s at high pressure in some national level gravel races and clean up, while everyone else is slogging with their wide tires and their traction and absorption of bumps.
I think you guys need to watch Alex Howes here talking about all these 25mm tyres he ran at 100psi last year
Old 03-20-24, 05:56 PM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4415 Post(s)
Liked 4,867 Times in 3,012 Posts
Originally Posted by choddo
I think you guys need to watch Alex Howes here talking about all these 25mm tyres he ran at 100psi last year
https://youtu.be/QGii0vh66eE?si=o3Hr47eA2qssmO9p
Nice one 😂
Obviously took DM’s sage advice.
Old 03-21-24, 09:50 PM
FL_Gator

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by FL_Gator;[url=tel:23188482
23188482[/url]]This is awesome, just ordered one, thanks!
Well.. the Tyre Glider was no match for the GP5000s, had to revert back to my Schwalbe tri levers, it just couldn’t get the Contis on.
30/32 mounted now though, hoping to ride Sunday.
Likes For FL_Gator:
Old 03-22-24, 04:10 AM
choddo

Originally Posted by FL_Gator
Well.. the Tyre Glider was no match for the GP5000s, had to revert back to my Schwalbe tri levers, it just couldn’t get the Contis on.
30/32 mounted now though, hoping to ride Sunday.
Did you spray the last area of the rim with mucoff or similar to let the glider slide more easily? Hold the wheel and tyre in your left (if right handed) hand at the end of the unfitted section, with the wheel braced against your body so that portion of the tyre can’t progress round the rim as you chase it :-) and then push the glider with the heel of your right thumb, fingers pulling on a spoke. I do it here (this tyre was easier than a gp5000 so I didn’t need to pull on a spoke) from about 2 minutes.
Old 03-22-24, 04:58 AM
FL_Gator

Originally Posted by choddo;[url=tel:23191773
23191773[/url]]Did you spray the last area of the rim with mucoff or similar to let the glider slide more easily? Hold the wheel and tyre in your left (if right handed) hand at the end of the unfitted section, with the wheel braced against your body so that portion of the tyre can’t progress round the rim as you chase it :-) and then push the glider with the heel of your right thumb, fingers pulling on a spoke. I do it here (this tyre was easier than a gp5000 so I didn’t need to pull on a spoke) from about 2 minutes. https://youtu.be/oo9FE4CpeLw?si=V0SqeizroAMr9lbm
No, I didn’t try that, I was trying to simulate how it would be if I was changing a flat out on the trail. I tried and tried and could get the glider under the edge of the old tire to get it off. Struggled with sliding the new one on without any spray but wouldn’t have spray on the trail.
The video is helpful, I have a couple more tires to do so I might try it with your tips. Thanks!
Likes For FL_Gator:
Old 03-22-24, 06:54 PM
choddo

No, I didn’t try that, I was trying to simulate how it would be if I was changing a flat out on the trail. I tried and tried and could get the glider under the edge of the old tire to get it off. Struggled with sliding the new one on without any spray but wouldn’t have spray on the trail.
The video is helpful, I have a couple more tires to do so I might try it with your tips. Thanks!
Oh don’t use it to get them off. It’s fairly crap at that. Park Tool levers are way better. It’s brilliant at getting them back on though. And outdoors I rely on Dynaplugs and never take the tyre off but if it came to it, a bit of spit might suffice
Likes For choddo:
Old 03-24-24, 09:35 AM
FL_Gator

Results

Ok, got a good test in. Personal feel, they are super super smooth on a typical cracked pavement flat Florida bike trail… and also feel very fast. However to check my confirmation bias I have two nearly identical test runs to compare.

It’s a 12.5 mile flat loop through the woods that is very circular. 2 loops 25 miles total. Same kit, helmet, socks, shoes, bottles, etc.. all identical. Temp within 5deg. Tried to keep similar body position, no drafting. All tires are GP5Ks.

RUN 1, 28mm front and back 74/76 psi:
25 miles
Avg 20.2mph
Avg 232w

RUN 2, 30mm front, 32mm back 70/65psi:
25 miles
Avg 20.9mph
Avg 208w

The only real variable here was wind. Both days had moderate wind, however since it is a circular loop I feel like you get equal benefit and penalty as you go around the loop that should essentially offset. Thoughts?
Likes For FL_Gator:
Old 03-24-24, 10:22 AM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

Bikes: Scott Addict R1, Felt Z1

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 3432 Post(s)
Liked 3,567 Times in 1,793 Posts
The only real variable here was wind. Both days had moderate wind, however since it is a circular loop I feel like you get equal benefit and penalty as you go around the loop that should essentially offset. Thoughts?
Wind doesn't work that way. On a loop or out-and-back course, higher winds produce higher penalty.

Likes For terrymorse:
Old 03-24-24, 10:31 AM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3952 Post(s)
Liked 7,299 Times in 2,947 Posts
It might seem counterintuitive, but even with a perfectly circular course in a constant wind, the wind will hurt you more on the upwind segments than it helps on the downwind, and it will slow you down on more than half the course. (The double whammy is due to the non-linearity of aerodynamic drag.)

Last edited by tomato coupe; 03-24-24 at 10:36 AM.
Old 03-24-24, 10:36 AM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10436 Post(s)
Liked 11,912 Times in 6,100 Posts
Originally Posted by terrymorse
Wind doesn't work that way. On a loop or out-and-back course, higher winds produce higher penalty.
You never get back from a tailwind what you lose to a headwind.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Likes For genejockey:
Old 03-24-24, 10:41 AM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Ok, got a good test in. Personal feel, they are super super smooth on a typical cracked pavement flat Florida bike trail… and also feel very fast. However to check my confirmation bias I have two nearly identical test runs to compare.

It’s a 12.5 mile flat loop through the woods that is very circular. 2 loops 25 miles total. Same kit, helmet, socks, shoes, bottles, etc.. all identical. Temp within 5deg. Tried to keep similar body position, no drafting. All tires are GP5Ks.

25 miles
Avg 20.2mph
Avg 232w

25 miles
Avg 20.9mph
Avg 208w

It's a start! Certainly it looks like there's no penalty. I'd suggest just riding the 30/32s for a few weeks on the roads you have been riding and see what you see.

I can tell you that I noticed the difference between the 32mm Corsas and 28mm GP5Ks in a single ride. The fact that you have power numbers, too, helps a lot. I don't. All I have is RPE.

Old 03-24-24, 10:44 AM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

Bikes: Scott Addict R1, Felt Z1

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 3432 Post(s)
Liked 3,567 Times in 1,793 Posts
Originally Posted by genejockey
You never get back from a tailwind what you lose to a headwind.
It's just one example of the laws of thermodynamics:
  1. You can't win.
  2. You can't break even.
  3. You can't get out of the game.

Old 03-24-24, 10:59 AM
FL_Gator

All the wind comments make sense, no real way to mitigate that in real world riding comparisons. So I’ll just ride a few more of my normal courses and compare as I go. Definitely didn’t seem to be any slower today at least.
Old 03-24-24, 11:02 AM
Mtracer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 222 Post(s)
Liked 304 Times in 194 Posts

25 miles
Avg 20.2mph
Avg 232w

25 miles
Avg 20.9mph
Avg 208w

The majority of the difference in power you are seeing cannot be from the rolling resistance of the tires. At those speeds, the entire rolling resistance would be on the order of 30 W. So, the difference you would get from tire width would obviously be a fraction of that.

As already mentioned, wind doesn't cancel going in a circle or an out and back.

The reality is it is very, very difficult to make these types of comparisons in the wild. Especially with single runs at different times under what will always be different conditions to some degree. It takes many runs to be able to make statistically significant comparisons. Though I don't fault you for trying.

I've tried to compare performance at different speeds, in an effort to extract CdA and Crr from data. Even though I did multiple runs with one immediately after another, very flat course, and no obvious wind, it was difficult to to come up with anything that appeared accurate. It's simply a very tough problem. Crr (rolling resistance) itself is pretty easy, it's just that aero drag dominates at all but the slowest speed. And aero drag is always significant. Also, aero losses are super sensitive and complex. Air density has a direct relationship to aero losses and varies day to day and throughout the day. Even humidity is a factor.

In the end, there is enough data and information out there to support that wider tires, in the ranges we are considering, do not hurt significantly under controlled conditions, and likely have a net benefit in the real world with varying surfaces conditions we find on our rides. Then factor in the much improved comfort and wider tires for the win.

I think what might prove more useful over time is ride the wider tires, collect ride data, and then compare that to the, presumably, many rides you did on the narrower tires. A generally faster average speed for similar power may emerge from the data. Or if nothing else, you'll prove it didn't hurt to go wider and gain the comfort.

Complicating this is the effects of rougher roads and selecting tire pressures. The ones you used would be high for me. And I'm not a light person at 190-195 lbs. I'm running close to 60 PSI on 28 mm GP 5000 (measure 30 mm). It's slightly lower than the Silca calculator recommends for poor pavement. But the penalty for running a lower than optimal pressure is very small, while the penalty for running too high a pressure is much higher. I.E., better to optimize for the worst surface condition you spend any significant time on and err on the side of too low rather than too high a pressure.

Nice thing is, we get more comfort at these lower pressures, and unless you hit a lot of potholes, there's just little downside to the wider tires and lower pressures and they may actually be faster.
Likes For Mtracer:
Old 03-24-24, 11:16 AM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3952 Post(s)
Liked 7,299 Times in 2,947 Posts
Originally Posted by Mtracer
The majority of the difference in power you are seeing cannot be from the rolling resistance of the tires. At those speeds, the entire rolling resistance would be on the order of 30 W. So, the difference you would get from tire width would obviously be a fraction of that.
Yep.
Old 03-24-24, 11:20 AM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4415 Post(s)
Liked 4,867 Times in 3,012 Posts

25 miles
Avg 20.2mph
Avg 232w

25 miles
Avg 20.9mph
Avg 208w

As others have said, the speed difference will be mostly from wind variation. But the smoother ride is certainly valid and I doubt there would be any speed penalty. You could probably run lower pressures too without any penalty. Now you need to try some 23 mm tyres at 110 psi!
Likes For PeteHski:
Old 03-25-24, 12:32 PM
RChung
Perceptual Dullard

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 919 Post(s)
Liked 1,156 Times in 494 Posts
Originally Posted by Mtracer
Yep.

The reality is it is very, very difficult to make these types of comparisons in the wild. Especially with single runs at different times under what will always be different conditions to some degree. It takes many runs to be able to make statistically significant comparisons.
Not always, though it depends on what you consider "many." If you do it right and you're lucky, maybe three runs of a couple of minutes each, for each tire combo. But it's easier to do indoors on rollers in controlled conditions, so I completely understand that people do it that way. (It's even easier than that to forego testing and instead read bicyclerollingresistance.com)
Likes For RChung:
Old 03-26-24, 09:42 PM
FL_Gator

Originally Posted by PeteHski;[url=tel:23193762
23193762[/url]]As others have said, the speed difference will be mostly from wind variation. But the smoother ride is certainly valid and I doubt there would be any speed penalty. You could probably run lower pressures too without any penalty. Now you need to try some 23 mm tyres at 110 psi!
Fun thing I just validated.. my 2010 Specialized Roubaix (stock 23mm tires) was able to accept the 28mm tires I just took off of my main bike. Specialized told me a few years ago that only 26mm would fit that old frame but the 28s with some deep section carbon wheels looks and fits great!
Likes For FL_Gator:
Old 03-27-24, 12:34 AM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Fun thing I just validated.. my 2010 Specialized Roubaix (stock 23mm tires) was able to accept the 28mm tires I just took off of my main bike. Specialized told me a few years ago that only 26mm would fit that old frame but the 28s with some deep section carbon wheels looks and fits great!
My Battaglin (early 90s frame with 2006 Chorus) barely fits 25s, but that's mostly because the Velocity Fusion rims have 13.9mm internal width so I can't really open up the brakes wide enough.

Likes For genejockey: