Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Sudden stop and you are in a high gear.

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-23, 11:58 AM
purptiger

Bikes: Trek Domone Al 5 Disc

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Suppose you are on a road bike and you have to make a sudden stop. Then you remember that you are in a high gear. How do you reduce gears and continue on your route.

This often occurs when the traffic light suddenly changes, or a car suddenly stops in front of you. Looking forward to your ideas.
Old 02-22-23, 12:00 PM
Bah Humbug
serious cyclist

Bikes: S1, R2, P2

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9334 Post(s)
Liked 3,679 Times in 2,026 Posts
Left foot on ground, right clipped in, shift as desired, lift rear wheel off ground, pedal until shifting completed. Start as normal.
Old 02-22-23, 12:18 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4806 Post(s)
Liked 3,932 Times in 2,557 Posts

Well, the good thing is that if you just clip in and go, there will be nothing sudden about your start!

What I do is: with left foot down, I shift down a cog, then rock the bike forward and lift with a pull from my right leg, pedaling as much of a circle as I can before the wheel comes down. In back, it is usually just one cog at a time so I may have to do this several times but dropping to the inside chainring is easy. (Never thought about this before, but that is a drawback to 1Xs.)

If you ride with panniers for uses like commuting, this "rock and shift" is a bear with the loaded panniers in back and a joy with LowRiders in front.

Edit: Bah Humbug's for the CF bikes of the Road Forum, mine for the C & V, Touring and Commuter Forums. Also when you are tired or having a bad day. Or have DT shifters you cannot operate while lifting the bike.

Last edited by 79pmooney; 02-22-23 at 12:23 PM.
Old 02-22-23, 02:35 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10965 Post(s)
Liked 7,493 Times in 4,189 Posts
Originally Posted by Bah Humbug
Left foot on ground, right clipped in, shift as desired, lift rear wheel off ground, pedal until shifting completed. Start as normal.
^this.
Close the thread here, otherwise its at risk for GamblerGORD53 to ramble on about the benefit of IGH bikes.
Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 02-22-23, 03:06 PM
tempocyclist

Bikes: 2002 Trek 5200 (US POSTAL), 2020 Canyon Aeroad SL

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 314 Post(s)
Liked 683 Times in 328 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr
^this.
Close the thread here, otherwise its at risk for GamblerGORD53 to ramble on about the benefit of IGH bikes.

Or a certain somebody else will chime in saying they only ride fixed...
Likes For tempocyclist:
Old 02-22-23, 03:10 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10440 Post(s)
Liked 11,914 Times in 6,101 Posts
The one thing you forgot was "curse loudly and colorfully at whatever caused you to have to stop in Biggie Smalls"

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Likes For genejockey:
Old 02-22-23, 03:21 PM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 560 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22600 Post(s)
Liked 8,928 Times in 4,160 Posts
Agree this is the best option if you are stopped for several seconds. If it’s a one second stop, you could start moving with a strong push-off with unclipped foot, and quickly shift into easier gear.
Likes For datlas:
Old 02-22-23, 06:43 PM
CAT7RDR

Bikes: 1999 Schwinn Peloton Ultegra 10, Kestrel RT-1000 Ultegra, Trek Marlin 6 Deore 29'er

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 822 Post(s)
Liked 1,961 Times in 944 Posts
This only happens when I am on a steep incline.
Two choices: paperboy zig-zags until I am up to speed, or, getting off the bike and manually spinning the crank and shifting until in my preferred gear range.
Oh the horror!
Likes For CAT7RDR:
Old 02-22-23, 06:56 PM
zandoval 

Bikes: Univega, Peu P6, Peu PR-10, Ted Williams, Peu UO-8, Peu UO-18 Mixte, Peu Dolomites

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 968 Post(s)
Liked 1,631 Times in 1,047 Posts
It also helps ta have good legs so you can MASH AWAY!!!

Old 02-22-23, 07:53 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Quoted: 3890 Post(s)
Liked 1,939 Times in 1,384 Posts
Your stoker curses at you a little, but no big deal, she can handle it. You try to do better. The other thing that happens is that you madly shifted down as you came to a stop, so when you start up again, there are all these clanging noises and your stoker says some words to you again, but this time you ignore her and just pedal. It'll be fine. The big advantage is that it's always easy to get going again, even on hills, just hit that clip on the first stroke.
Old 02-22-23, 08:03 PM
jaxgtr

Bikes: Trek Domane SLR 7 AXS, Trek CheckPoint SL7 AXS, Trek Emonda ALR AXS, Trek FX 5 Sport

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 768 Post(s)
Liked 1,744 Times in 1,015 Posts
Originally Posted by genejockey
The one thing you forgot was "curse loudly and colorfully at whatever caused you to have to stop in Biggie Smalls"
And hoping the reason for the stop was not another rider while you are in a paceline doing 25 and they meant to shift but pull the brake and the next you know, you are looking at someone asking if you are ok, you have a shattered collarbone that requires 5 operations and months of PT and time off the bike, but the first thing out of your mouth is how is my bike, but that wouldn't happen.

Old 02-22-23, 08:27 PM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

Bikes: Trek FX 2, Cannondale Synapse, Cannondale CAAD4, Santa Cruz Stigmata GRX

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1948 Post(s)
Liked 1,472 Times in 1,020 Posts
I have just learned to ride clipless (so pardon my inexperience) and I do the above except opposite legs. If we ride on the right side of the road, is it not safer to unclip and land on the right foot?
Old 02-22-23, 08:43 PM
Bah Humbug
serious cyclist

Bikes: S1, R2, P2

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9334 Post(s)
Liked 3,679 Times in 2,026 Posts
Originally Posted by SoSmellyAir
I have just learned to ride clipless (so pardon my inexperience) and I do the above except opposite legs. If we ride on the right side of the road, is it not safer to unclip and land on the right foot?
I have no idea. I'm a righty, so I'd rather the first pedal stroke be with my strong right leg. Not sure how it would make a difference.
Old 02-22-23, 09:03 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Quoted: 3890 Post(s)
Liked 1,939 Times in 1,384 Posts
Originally Posted by SoSmellyAir
Riders have different opinions. Most roads are crowned, so if you put the right foot down (in right side countries), it'll be a little further down and the bike might lean a little more depending on your clearance. So many riders put the left foot down instead. However a rider in our club once had her left foot run over, so that's a point for right foot down - it's safer. It's also possible to screw up the stop and tip over, which usually means a right side fall if you're a right foot down rider. Another point for right foot down is that a curb, if any, would be on that side, so you get to use the curb, slightly more comfortable. I'm a right foot down rider. That said, it's good to be comfortable putting either foot down. Everything doesn't always turn out as planned.
Old 02-22-23, 09:07 PM
scottfsmith
I like bike

Bikes: Roubaix Comp 2020

Quoted: 267 Post(s)
Liked 283 Times in 191 Posts
I do two quick big downshifts (3 gears down each shift on brifter) whilst slowly but forcefully pedaling. The gears sound like they are going to die but they get over it very soon and I get moving very soon as well.

The lifting up the rear wheel method is me admitting defeat, I only do it if it is a red light or am stopped facing an uphill.
Likes For scottfsmith:
Old 02-22-23, 11:58 PM
LarrySellerz

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 2700 Post(s)
Liked 486 Times in 351 Posts
When this happens to me I curse myself for letting it happen and suffer the consequences. By this I mean I don’t downshift as to not shift under load, and do my best to protect my knees by standing up and accelerating slowly.

if this happens on a hill I’ll turn around to downshift or get off my bike and lift the wheel to shift. Way too easy to kill your gears shifting under load.

if you absolutely need to shift, downshifting the front is easier on your components than moving the chain up cogs. One shift in the front equals like 3 in the back in terms of gear ratio, and moving from big to small is easier than the reverse.

Last edited by LarrySellerz; 02-23-23 at 12:03 AM.
Old 02-23-23, 12:10 AM
LarrySellerz

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 2700 Post(s)
Liked 486 Times in 351 Posts
[QUOTE=SoSmellyAir;22809150 If we ride on the right side of the road, is it not safer to unclip and land on the right foot?[/QUOTE]
What’s the reasoning, I’ve never thought dismounting on one side or the other is safer. Dismounting on the left might put your upper body several inches closer to traffic, but cars should be giving you ample space anyways. I don’t know if I’d count dismounting leaning away from traffic as defensive cycling, heck often it’s nice to leave the rightmost lane for turning cars when stopped.
Old 02-23-23, 12:27 AM
downtube42

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6 Gen 3, Soma Fog Cutter, Focus Mares AL, Detroit Bikes Sparrow FG, Volae Team, Nimbus MUni

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 896 Post(s)
Liked 2,065 Times in 1,081 Posts
Gut it out for a few feet to get things moving, back off the power, shift shift shift. Carry on.

Indeed, this is the scenario where I miss my IGH; you just very smugly shift gears. As far as the fixed gear story, you're always in the wrong gear on a fixed gear anyway, so it's no biggie.

Now try blowing up your back and riding a 'bent for a decade or so. This scenario on a 'bent is 10x worse, and may involve falling over if you try the high-gear start on a slight incline. Zero speed falls are the worst. Talk about embarrassing.
Old 02-23-23, 12:42 AM
Leinster

Bikes: MBK Super Mirage 1991, CAAD10, Yuba Mundo Lux, and a Cannondale Criterium Single Speed

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 344 Post(s)
Liked 297 Times in 207 Posts
Left foot on ground, right clipped in, shift as desired, apply front brake, lean handlebars forward, lift rear wheel off ground, pedal until shifting completed. Start as normal.
Added a couple of crucial steps whenever I have to do it.

Note; steps do not apply with cargo bikes.
Old 02-23-23, 02:22 AM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

Bikes: Trek FX 2, Cannondale Synapse, Cannondale CAAD4, Santa Cruz Stigmata GRX

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1948 Post(s)
Liked 1,472 Times in 1,020 Posts
Originally Posted by Carbonfiberboy
That said, it's good to be comfortable putting either foot down. Everything doesn't always turn out as planned.
Yep. I practice putting my left foot down within my own community and if I am stopping on a MUP.
Old 02-23-23, 05:12 AM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,979 Times in 1,920 Posts
could call for a SAG. Otherwise, shift the gear & lift the rear.
Old 02-23-23, 07:09 AM
eduskator

Bikes: SL8 Pro, TCR beater

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 989 Post(s)
Liked 586 Times in 440 Posts
Originally Posted by purptiger
Suppose you are on a road bike and you have to make a sudden stop. Then you remember that you are in a high gear. How do you reduce gears and continue on your route.

This often occurs when the traffic light suddenly changes, or a car suddenly stops in front of you. Looking forward to your ideas.
Apply front brake, lift rear wheel, pedal with one foot while shifting gears. Works like a charm all the time (do it with attitude, it's always better).
Old 02-23-23, 07:56 AM
scottfsmith
I like bike

Bikes: Roubaix Comp 2020

Quoted: 267 Post(s)
Liked 283 Times in 191 Posts
Originally Posted by LarrySellerz
Way too easy to kill your gears shifting under load.
Is that still true on modern group sets? I have a 2020 Ultegra that I have put many thousands of miles on with shifting under load and have had no issues with besides breaking the rear cable. The chain has been giving me thousands of miles per chain.

On my previous 90s-00s bikes I had to be much more careful.
Old 02-23-23, 08:22 AM
GhostRider62

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 2333 Post(s)
Liked 2,097 Times in 1,314 Posts
Originally Posted by downtube42
Gut it out for a few feet to get things moving, back off the power, shift shift shift. Carry on.

Indeed, this is the scenario where I miss my IGH; you just very smugly shift gears. As far as the fixed gear story, you're always in the wrong gear on a fixed gear anyway, so it's no biggie.

Now try blowing up your back and riding a 'bent for a decade or so. This scenario on a 'bent is 10x worse, and may involve falling over if you try the high-gear start on a slight incline. Zero speed falls are the worst. Talk about embarrassing.
As a fellow sometimes recumbent rider, I have to laugh. Starting is indeed 10X harder on a low flung bent. I had to practice hours and hours and hour. Eventually could start up in my 56 x 11. It is all about balance and not rushing it. On an upright, starting in the big ring is trivial, it just takes a tiny amount of practice or a bit of planning to shift before stopping
Old 02-23-23, 10:56 AM
zandoval 

Bikes: Univega, Peu P6, Peu PR-10, Ted Williams, Peu UO-8, Peu UO-18 Mixte, Peu Dolomites

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 968 Post(s)
Liked 1,631 Times in 1,047 Posts
One more comment...

All Hail The Non-Indexed Friction Shifter!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.