Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg)
Reload this Page >

water weight and the scale

Search
Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-13, 02:52 PM
billh

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I guess I always knew water weight is a significant part of body weight but had never really quantified it, just had a rough idea could account for up to 5 lbs after a hard workout . . . so the other day, after a hard 20 min workout on the bike trainer, went to weigh myself and, sure enough, my body weight was 4-5 lbs lighter than usual, which I like to see, but then was very thirsty so filled up my water bottle and before drinking, thought, "I wonder how much weight I will gain back if I drink this water" so took it to the scale, hopped on the scale and sure enough the scale read x+1.5 lbs where x was the body weight without the full bottle. then just to confirm, I got off the scale, drank the entire bottle, hopped back on, and it read x+1.5. yay, water in the bottle was now water in my body, and the scale read the same. Then I hopped off, set the empty bottle down, hopped back on the scale, and it read x+1.5 still . . . so evidently, the bottle itself did not weight enough to tick it up to x+1.6 lbs. anyway, maybe all this is obvious, but it's nice to know how water replenishment relates to body weight. and that my scale records the water weight accurately.

as an aside, I read somewhere that you should weigh yourself before strenuous exercise, then afterwards, drink fluid to bring your weight back to pre-workout levels. then you know you have replenished fluids. but I've lost as much as 5 lbs in a long bike ride, so that would be about 3 liters of water (4.5 lbs by the above measurement), which is a lot to drink.
Old 09-11-13, 03:13 PM
WonderMonkey

Bikes: 2011 Cannondale Quick 5, 2014 Raleigh Revenio 2.0

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 36 Posts
Drinking enough water to bring your weight back up is "kind of" true. If you drink too much at once you will urinate out some of it as the body can't process it the way you want all at once. How long you should drink it over isn't something I know but I do basically put it back in over time.

Also if you drink enough DURING your exercise then that's the magic spot.
Old 09-11-13, 03:36 PM
TrojanHorse
SuperGimp

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 147 Post(s)
Quoted: 1107 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 47 Posts
You've got your weights wrong too - a liter of water is 1,000 grams = 1kg = 2.2 lb.

I don't know what you're calling a long bike ride but I routinely drink 24 oz of water an hour when riding, and if it's hot enough, I'll drink as much as 48 oz of water an hour.
Old 09-11-13, 06:49 PM
copswithguns
Texas Tornado

Bikes: '14 Specialized Roubaix SL 4 Full Ultegra 6800

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Water weight is something best not overanalyzed. Your weight is gonna fluctuate from day to day depending on sodium intake and other things. I can weight myself daily and not get discouraged by the fluctuations; other people lose motivation when they don't see losses EVERY day. Most people will tell you to just weight in once a week because you'll generally lose a good amount in that time and not become discouraged by the water weight fluctuations.

Long story short, just relax, eat well, bike plenty and it will come off.
Old 09-11-13, 07:45 PM
KBentley57

Bikes: 2010 Felt DA, 2012/6 Felt F5, 2015 Felt AR FRD

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
If you like that, weigh yourself right before bed, and first thing in the morning. Goblins steal the weight at night!
Old 09-11-13, 08:14 PM
brianogilvie 
Commuter & cyclotourist

Bikes: Boulder All Road, Surly Long Haul Trucker, Bike Friday New World Tourist, Breezer Uptown 8, Bike Friday Express Tikit, Trek MultiTrack 730 (Problem? No, I don't have a problem)

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by KBentley57
Goblins steal the weight at night!
That would be "the toilet steals the weight at night." Well, that and transpiration.
Old 09-12-13, 01:41 PM
billh

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
better yet . . . weigh myself . . . in the morning . . . after the hard workout . . . for the lowest possible number on the scale. it motivates me, what can I say.
Old 09-12-13, 04:19 PM
Myosmith
Lover of Old Chrome Moly

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 143 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 17 Posts
When will people catch on that weight in and of itself is pretty meaningless. Body composition is a far better indicator of fitness than the number on the scale.
Old 09-12-13, 04:35 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10440 Post(s)
Liked 11,914 Times in 6,101 Posts
I've found my weight drops as much as 5# on a long ride, and that's even with drinking a bottle an hour. I don't consciously try to 'drink it back' after the ride, but I drink water pretty freely over the next 8 hours.

Originally Posted by TrojanHorse
You've got your weights wrong too - a liter of water is 1,000 grams = 1kg = 2.2 lb.

I don't know what you're calling a long bike ride but I routinely drink 24 oz of water an hour when riding, and if it's hot enough, I'll drink as much as 48 oz of water an hour.
I didn't see the OP say it was a liter, just a bottle. And the water in a 24 oz bottle weight 24 oz - 1.5 lb.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Old 09-12-13, 04:40 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Originally Posted by Myosmith
When will people catch on that weight in and of itself is pretty meaningless. Body composition is a far better indicator of fitness than the number on the scale.
Most of us aren't set up to measure specific gravity at home. I, for example, don't have a 300# hanging scale and a swimming pool.

Old 09-12-13, 04:55 PM
Myosmith
Lover of Old Chrome Moly

Originally Posted by genejockey
Most of us aren't set up to measure specific gravity at home. I, for example, don't have a 300# hanging scale and a swimming pool.
You probably don't have a full body Dexa Scanner either

The good news is you don't need one. Honestly, you don't need to pinpoint the exact bodyfat percentage or exact lean mass, what you need to be able to do is a reasonable estimate and, more importantly, be able to determine if you are trending in the right direction. A good full length mirror and a simple tailor's tape measure will get you in the ball park. Properly used calipers or even bioimpedance scales will also provide useful information if you don't obsess about fractions of percentages.

Thanks to people relying on simple weight measurements and the horribly inaccurate BMI, we are seeing an epidemic of "skinny-fat" people, aka people whose body weight falls within the BMI's healthy range for their height but who still have above average bodyfat percentages due to low lean mass numbers. Losing "weight" is not always a good thing. Losing excess fat is. That's why many strength athletes and bodybuilders may have a BMI above 30 (obese according to the BMI scale) but bodyfat percentages under 12 (a very healthy and fit number). Six feet tall, 200 pounds and 30% bodyfat is far different from six feet tall, 200 pounds and 12% bodyfat. Weight only has meaning when put in context by reasonable estimates of body composition.
Old 09-12-13, 05:14 PM
LabRat2k3

Bikes: 2012 Cinelli Xperience

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've found my weight drops as much as 5# on a long ride, and that's even with drinking a bottle an hour. I don't consciously try to 'drink it back' after the ride, but I drink water pretty freely over the next 8 hours.

I didn't see the OP say it was a liter, just a bottle. And the water in a 24 oz bottle weight 24 oz - 1.5 lb.
24 fl oz of water weighs 25 oz but that is really just splitting hairs. A fluid ounce is not equal to a dry ounce. A fluid ounce is a measure of volume, and a dry ounce is a measure of weight.
Old 09-12-13, 05:15 PM
TrojanHorse
SuperGimp

Originally Posted by billh
3 liters of water (4.5 lbs by the above measurement)
1 liter = 33.8 oz = 2.2 lb (close enough)
Old 09-12-13, 05:25 PM
softreset

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked 54 Times in 25 Posts
I did my first metric century last weekend (been on the bike for about a month) after a 10+ year lay off. The ride had 4500 feet of climbing and temperatures started in the mid-70s and ending in the 100s with the heat index. Long story short, my scale was 9 pounds lighter when I got home. Over the next two days (rehydrating, eating, resting) I regained 7 of those lost pounds.

Needless to say if I had to repeat that ride on a regular basis, losing weight isn't worth it.

Joking aside, I've found that calorie counting and balanced meals has been FARmore effective at healthy weight loss than big effort days on the bike. But that's me.
Old 09-12-13, 05:48 PM
TrojanHorse
SuperGimp

The good news is you don't need one. Honestly, you don't need to pinpoint the exact bodyfat percentage or exact lean mass, what you need to be able to do is a reasonable estimate and, more importantly, be able to determine if you are trending in the right direction. A good full length mirror and a simple tailor's tape measure will get you in the ball park. Properly used calipers or even bioimpedance scales will also provide useful information if you don't obsess about fractions of percentages.

Thanks to people relying on simple weight measurements and the horribly inaccurate BMI, we are seeing an epidemic of "skinny-fat" people, aka people whose body weight falls within the BMI's healthy range for their height but who still have above average bodyfat percentages due to low lean mass numbers. Losing "weight" is not always a good thing. Losing excess fat is. That's why many strength athletes and bodybuilders may have a BMI above 30 (obese according to the BMI scale) but bodyfat percentages under 12 (a very healthy and fit number). Six feet tall, 200 pounds and 30% bodyfat is far different from six feet tall, 200 pounds and 12% bodyfat. Weight only has meaning when put in context by reasonable estimates of body composition.
I seriously doubt we've got any skinny fat people posting in this board. For a person (I'll use me as an example) who KNOWS he's fat, weight is a perfectly good tool to use to monitor progress towards skinny, if that ever happens. My body composition is not changing dramatically from year to year but the fat content may.

Your example of body fat measurement might actually combat some of the fat-skinny I hear from time to time (I'm just big boned, I'm built like a line backer, I'm 5'10" but any lighter than 250 and people tell me I look skeletal, that sort of thing)
Old 09-12-13, 05:54 PM
aramis

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
This is a cycling forum, weight is half the equation as far as going up the hill faster. Sure the 200 # bodybuilder might be "healthy" but he isn't going to be a good cyclist.
Old 09-12-13, 06:25 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

The good news is you don't need one. Honestly, you don't need to pinpoint the exact bodyfat percentage or exact lean mass, what you need to be able to do is a reasonable estimate and, more importantly, be able to determine if you are trending in the right direction. A good full length mirror and a simple tailor's tape measure will get you in the ball park.
I have been gauging my progress in a number of ways.

First, weight, because in order to reach a healthier composition, I have a LOT of fat to lose, and I don't want to be 240lbs of muscle mass!

Second, the fit of my clothes. I no longer can wear my 38" waist pants without a belt, nor do I have to stre-etch them out to convince myself I don't need the next size up.

Third, my performance on the road. Each week, the same degree of suffering allows me to go farther. Hills get easier, even spinning on the flats is easier.

But yeah, if it were JUST weight dropping off, one could end up being one of those people who still are out of shape, but not fat. OTOH, if it were JUST performance, I could be a still-fat but more fit guy.

Old 09-12-13, 06:26 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

1 liter = 33.8 oz = 2.2 lb (close enough)
Ah! Missed that. My error.

Old 09-12-13, 06:55 PM
Myosmith
Lover of Old Chrome Moly

I seriously doubt we've got any skinny fat people posting in this board. For a person (I'll use me as an example) who KNOWS he's fat, weight is a perfectly good tool to use to monitor progress towards skinny, if that ever happens. My body composition is not changing dramatically from year to year but the fat content may.

Your example of body fat measurement might actually combat some of the fat-skinny I hear from time to time (I'm just big boned, I'm built like a line backer, I'm 5'10" but any lighter than 250 and people tell me I look skeletal, that sort of thing)
I agree that there are probably no skinny-fat people posting in a Clyde/Athena board, it was just an example of why weight alone is a poor indicator. True also that weight is an important part of the cycling equation, especially for sprinting and hill climbing. Consider this though, a 150-pound cyclist loses 10 pounds of fat in a year but gains 10 pounds of muscle. The weight is unchanged but that is about a 15% shift in body composition and there will likely be a significant improvement in health, performance, and overall fitness. Example #2 , a cyclist loses 20 pounds in a year, half of it fat, half of it muscle, how do you suppose that affects performance? You state "My body composition is not changing dramatically from year to year but the fat content may." If your fat content is changing dramatically but your muscle mass is staying the same or increasing, then your body composition (the ratio of fat to lean tissue) will also change dramatically. You want to become lean and strong, not thin and scrawny. Look at pro cyclists, they are very lean but with a lot of muscle, especially in their lower bodies. So I'm sorry, but No the scale alone is not a good indicator of improvements in fitness.

GeneJockey said
"Second, the fit of my clothes. I no longer can wear my 38" waist pants without a belt, nor do I have to stre-etch them out to convince myself I don't need the next size up.

Third, my performance on the road. Each week, the same degree of suffering allows me to go farther. Hills get easier, even spinning on the flats is easier."

which is an indirect measurement of body composition indicating that he is losing fat while maintaining or possibly even gaining muscle. He mentions that he doesn't want to be 240# of muscle mass. That's not what I'm promoting at all. What I am saying is that you don't want to be sacrificing muscle, connective tissue, bone or even normal hydration levels for the sake of decreasing the numbers on a scale. What you want to do is get rid of excess fat, not weight at all costs, so you need to consider more than just what the scale says.

I myself am still a good 30-40# of excess fat over my ideal (way down from where I started). One of the big changes I made when I actually started making real progress was to quit worrying about the scale and starting to focus on how I looked (from a fitness, not narcissistic standpoint), how my clothes fit, how I felt, and how I performed. There have been several points in the journey where I could see, feel and measure improvements even when the scale denied any progress.

Last edited by Myosmith; 09-12-13 at 07:36 PM.
Old 09-12-13, 07:00 PM
TrojanHorse
SuperGimp

Thin and scrawny is just not in my future.
Old 09-12-13, 07:33 PM
Myosmith
Lover of Old Chrome Moly

Thin and scrawny is just not in my future.
But keep up the good work, measure real progress, and strong and lean might be That's what I'm shooting for and I hope to see you there someday.
Old 09-12-13, 07:47 PM
jsigone
got the climbing bug

Bikes: one for everything

Mentioned: 82 Post(s)
Quoted: 632 Post(s)
Liked 913 Times in 275 Posts
is beer weight classified the same as water weight?
Rule #10 // It never gets easier, you just go faster.
Old 09-12-13, 11:27 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Originally Posted by jsigone
HA! I no longer consider beer to be the perfect recovery beverage. Too tempting! Nor are donuts the perfect carbo-loading food!

Old 09-13-13, 02:27 AM
LabRat2k3

Bikes: 2012 Cinelli Xperience

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jsigone
NO! Water weight comes and goes, beer weight comes and stays and never seems to leave. It is the in-laws of the weight world.
Old 09-13-13, 06:43 AM
lenA
Banned

Bikes: 2011 Surly LHT 2005 LeMond Zurich

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
pee clear
you'll live many a year

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.