Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

phone holder or pocket?

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

phone holder or pocket?

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-23, 07:13 AM
pelirary

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 15 Posts
phone holder or pocket?

I know there was a thread here that asked where you keep your phone while riding and it seems that most keep them in their jersey pocket, though not the middle one. Then there are those that use a bracket mounted on the handlebars. I've always kept mine in my pocket but have been seeing more and more ads for brackets and it made me pose a question. If I crash is the phone going to stay in the bracket on the bike or fly away from the bike? If it is in my pocket it is more likely to stay with me. More than likely after a crash I would need a phone so it is a concern. I am interested in some thoughts and incites on this.
Likes For pelirary:
Old 10-04-23, 07:31 AM
DiabloScott
It's MY mountain

Bikes: Klein, Merckx, Trek

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 4338 Post(s)
Liked 2,982 Times in 1,618 Posts
Wallet pack inside my middle jersey pocket - the wallet protects it from sweat. I don't us it while riding so I don't need quick access, but I can still hear it ring.
Likes For DiabloScott:
Old 10-04-23, 07:46 AM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4420 Post(s)
Liked 4,873 Times in 3,017 Posts
It only makes sense to use a bar mount if you are using your phone as a head unit. Otherwise a pocket is safer.
Likes For PeteHski:
Old 10-04-23, 08:02 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6197 Post(s)
Liked 4,813 Times in 3,321 Posts
I figure that I can get separated from my bike in a crash of some sort. So I want my phone to go with me just in case I can't walk or crawl to where the bike is. I keep mine in a plastic zipper bag with my wallet in my center rear jersey pocket.
Old 10-04-23, 08:10 AM
TakingMyTime

Bikes: Canyon Endurace

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1041 Post(s)
Liked 928 Times in 541 Posts
Originally Posted by Iride01
I figure that I can get separated from my bike in a crash of some sort. So I want my phone to go with me just in case I can't walk or crawl to where the bike is. I keep mine in a plastic zipper bag with my wallet in my center rear jersey pocket.
My last BIG crash sent me over the handlebars and landing flat on my back. If my phone was in my jersey pocket it would have been destroyed (not to mention my ribs). I've always kept mine in my saddle bag. I really don't worry about missing calls or texts and my Garmin head unit will alert me and I can determine if it's necessary to pull over and answer it or not.
Likes For TakingMyTime:
Old 10-04-23, 08:20 AM
SW84

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Liked 118 Times in 78 Posts
Sometimes a pocket, most of the time in the bag on the rear rack.
Likes For SW84:
Old 10-04-23, 08:28 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Originally Posted by TakingMyTime
My last BIG crash sent me over the handlebars and landing flat on my back. If my phone was in my jersey pocket it would have been destroyed (not to mention my ribs). I've always kept mine in my saddle bag. I really don't worry about missing calls or texts and my Garmin head unit will alert me and I can determine if it's necessary to pull over and answer it or not.
You can imagine that, but you don't know. And do you think every crash is going to have you landing on your back and particularly the small of your back with enough force to break your phone? Seems more likely your butt or shoulders will bear the brunt of that. So you seem to be posing a very slight risk and using that as justification to to simply disagree.

I've have had my phones screen get shattered while doing other activities and it was unreadable. However using the voice control, I was still able to make calls and contact those I needed. If I ever do land on my back in a bike crash then if the phone is damaged, I still imagine it will be usable.

I'm okay with you keeping your phone where you want. You don't have to justify it by trying to poke holes in my justification.
Likes For Iride01:
Old 10-04-23, 08:37 AM
TakingMyTime

Bikes: Canyon Endurace

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1041 Post(s)
Liked 928 Times in 541 Posts
You don't have to justify it by trying to poke holes in my justification.
You're reading way too much into my post.
Old 10-04-23, 10:28 AM
ofajen
Cheerfully low end

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 646 Post(s)
Liked 1,044 Times in 667 Posts
I usually keep mine in a running belt in warmer weather. In cold weather, I may switch to the front pocket of my windbreaker.

Otto
Old 10-04-23, 10:43 AM
roadcrankr
Thread derailleur

Bikes: Merlin Extralight '94 & Cannondale Supersix '15

Quoted: 367 Post(s)
Liked 462 Times in 264 Posts
Quad Lock stem mount. It would take a severe crash to munch my phone.
I use mine to Strava rides, leaving the screen on for entire rides. Makes it the best cyclecomputer ever.
I mounted a small auxiliary rechargeable battery to keep it fully charged, since the screen & GPS can quickly drain it.
Fairly easy to text my GF, if necessary. Or quickly tell texting friends I will respond later.
Never dislodged or damaged over fifty thousand miles, including some tipovers.
Likes For roadcrankr:
Old 10-04-23, 10:45 AM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2587 Post(s)
Liked 5,649 Times in 2,924 Posts
If you crash often, then a handlebar mount could be a concern. Which begs the question, how often? If you don’t Quadlock would be my choice. Again, that’s if you use your phone for navigation, or with Varia or as a cycle computer. If not, a jersey pocket makes the most sense - where mine has lived for a couple of decades.

Old 10-04-23, 12:00 PM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,538 Times in 1,047 Posts
Originally Posted by SW84
Sometimes a pocket, most of the time in the bag on the rear rack.
Flip phone in my pocket 90% of the time while riding, or instead carry smartphone in a bag on the rear rack inside a bubble wrap envelope for the 10% of time when I think I might want to use the additional non-voice or text phone features of a smartphone (such as camera or internet access) while riding or at a destination away from home.
Old 10-04-23, 01:36 PM
Vaportrail56

Bikes: 2002 Burley Django,`99 Gary Fisher Joshua F4, `10 Cannondale Synapse 6, 2012 Cannondale Caad 10-5, 2023 Ozone Midtown

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 10 Posts
I use this phone mount in the link. It is made out of stretchy rubber that holds the phone on the stem.I have only had one wreck at about 14mph and the phone didn`t budge, it stayed right where I mounted it.Luckily nothing happened to my phone. I use Map My Ride so as I am riding, the map is lit up and every mile it hollers at me letting me know my speed, average speed and mile marker. Very handy and I don`t have to look down at it.I guess I would have to put my phone in a plastic bag or something if it rained.Also it is very easy to move from bike to bike.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Last edited by Vaportrail56; 10-04-23 at 01:39 PM.
Likes For Vaportrail56:
Old 10-04-23, 01:51 PM
MinnMan

Bikes: 2022 Salsa Beargrease Carbon Deore 11, 2020 Salsa Warbird GRX 600, 2020 Canyon Ultimate CF SLX disc 9.0 Di2, 2020 Catrike Eola, 2016 Masi cxgr, 2011, Felt F3 Ltd, 2010 Trek 2.1, 2009 KHS Flite 220

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4393 Post(s)
Liked 3,017 Times in 1,866 Posts
there was an article some time back, I don't remember where, about the dangers of putting minipumps in your jersey pocket- particularly the middle pocket. Somebody ended up with a severed spinal chord that way. But a phone seems like much less of a risk.
Old 10-04-23, 03:34 PM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
Phone goes inside the phone case and then inside my pants pocket. My pants have zipped side pockets and that's where I keep my phone.
Likes For wolfchild:
Old 10-04-23, 05:09 PM
Black wallnut 

Bikes: Schwinn Broadway, Specialized Secteur Sport(crashed) Spec. Roubaix Sport, Spec. Crux

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 179 Post(s)
Liked 169 Times in 84 Posts
I've crashed a few times. I've fallen over lots in the early days of learning clipless. I've gone over the handlebars learning to bunnyhop roots. I had a VW do a right hook from the left lane into me totaling my bike and shredding the left side of my jersey. I have always carried my phone in my jersey pocket. It has been just fine through it all. Also in all this time I have had a Garmin mounted either on the stem of on an out front mount and have never had one come off or break in a crash, and I crashed plenty while racing CX. Smaller phones are not much bigger than large Garmin. I think your phone is safe either way.
Old 10-05-23, 12:20 PM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5224 Post(s)
Liked 3,585 Times in 2,344 Posts
who would you call first? a loved one or 911? was discussing this w/ my elderly Mom recently. for me if I was near my "end" it would be family just not sure which one. maybe whoever was more likely to pick up

Last edited by rumrunn6; 10-05-23 at 12:55 PM.
Old 10-05-23, 12:28 PM
blacknbluebikes 

Bikes: two blacks, a blue and a white.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 445 Post(s)
Liked 847 Times in 410 Posts
my phone is waterproof. I don't worry about the sweat.
Likes For blacknbluebikes:
Old 10-05-23, 12:47 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Originally Posted by rumrunn6
who would you call first? a loved one or 911? was discussing this w/ my elderly Mom recently. fir me if I was near my "end" it would be family just not sure which one. maybe whoever was more likely to pick up
Gosh, this too might be better for it's own thread!

It'd depend on the situation. If I could walk and was okay, I'd be calling or texting my wife to ignore the crash alert that hopefully she already got from Garmin and Specialized. If I was badly injured, definitely 911.

Though when I had my one and only bad crash that left me with a severe concussion, fractured skull and both eye orbits fractured as well as a dislocated thumb, I wasn't trying to call anyone. They claim that apparently, I was trying to get on my bike and ride home. Very glad they didn't let me.

I guess I'll have to have a talk with my wife and see if she disagrees. <grin>

Last edited by Iride01; 10-05-23 at 12:56 PM.
Likes For Iride01:
Old 10-05-23, 12:56 PM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5224 Post(s)
Liked 3,585 Times in 2,344 Posts
when I had my one and only bad crash that left me with a severe concussion, fractured skull and both eye orbits fractured as well as a dislocated thumb, I wasn't trying to call anyone. Apparently they claim I was trying to get on my bike and ride home.
naturally. cyclist to the end
Old 10-05-23, 01:04 PM
CAT7RDR

Bikes: 1999 Schwinn Peloton Ultegra 10, Kestrel RT-1000 Ultegra, Trek Marlin 6 Deore 29'er

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 823 Post(s)
Liked 1,961 Times in 944 Posts
After never liking the feel or fear of having my phone/DL/CC/cash accidently coming out of my rear center jersey pocket, I switched to a stem bag that can hold spare lights, gels, phone, cash/cards and powdered drink mix without a hitch. Bonus is I can hear the phone. Added a second bag to hold a third bottle and snacks on longer rides.
Likes For CAT7RDR:
Old 10-05-23, 01:07 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

rumrunn6 Now you've made me think of something else to ponder and worry about. On that day I crashed, if no one had found me and intervened, my wife would have first called me before calling 911. If I was able to answer my phone then, I probably would have told her I was okay and would be home soon.

Which is basically what I told her when the people that called 911 first, then called her for me on my phone and let me talk to her. According to her, I told her I was fine and was only going with the ambulance because everyone else seemed concerned!

I definitely wasn't okay that day. But I thought I was.
Likes For Iride01:
Old 10-05-23, 01:47 PM
Bald Paul

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 826 Post(s)
Liked 1,659 Times in 784 Posts
Gosh, this too might be better for it's own thread!

It'd depend on the situation. If I could walk and was okay, I'd be calling or texting my wife to ignore the crash alert that hopefully she already got from Garmin and Specialized. If I was badly injured, definitely 911.

Though when I had my one and only bad crash that left me with a severe concussion, fractured skull and both eye orbits fractured as well as a dislocated thumb, I wasn't trying to call anyone. They claim that apparently, I was trying to get on my bike and ride home. Very glad they didn't let me.

I guess I'll have to have a talk with my wife and see if she disagrees. <grin>
You can set up emergency contacts in the Garmin Connect app on your phone, and connect it via BT to your Garmin head unit. Just enable "Incident Detection" and when/if you crash, you'll hear a loud alarm sound from your phone (if you're conscious, of course.) If you're relatively okay, you can grab your phone and cancel the emergency call. Otherwise, it will dial your contact with a pre-selected message to let them know you're hurt.
Old 10-05-23, 01:56 PM
OldTryGuy

Bikes: Day6 Semi Recumbent "FIREBALL", 1981 Custom Touring Paramount, 1983 Road Paramount, 2013 Giant Propel Advanced SL3, 2018 Specialized Red Roubaix Expert mech., 2002 Magna 7sp hybrid, 1976 Bassett Racing 45sp Cruiser

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1069 Post(s)
Liked 788 Times in 505 Posts
Originally Posted by rsbob
If you crash often, then a handlebar mount could be a concern. Which begs the question, how often? If you don’t Quadlock would be my choice. Again, that’s if you use your phone for navigation, or with Varia or as a cycle computer. If not, a jersey pocket makes the most sense - where mine has lived for a couple of decades.
r.e. bold I have handlebar mount on all bikes and since 2020 ----

Endo over bars on Roubaix Expert off road and stayed on
Hit by Wild Hogs twice once on a path and once on the road and stayed on
Failure to unclip so went down and stayed on
Too slow in a turn on long wheelbase RANS Velocity Squared went down and stayed on
Too fast in a turn with sand on long wheelbase RANS Velocity Squared went down and stayed on
Fell asleep on Day6 Semi Recumbent went off the road and onto a VERY PLUSH GRASS front yard and went down and stayed on
Old 10-05-23, 03:12 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Originally Posted by Bald Paul
You can set up emergency contacts in the Garmin Connect app on your phone, and connect it via BT to your Garmin head unit. Just enable "Incident Detection" and when/if you crash, you'll hear a loud alarm sound from your phone (if you're conscious, of course.) If you're relatively okay, you can grab your phone and cancel the emergency call. Otherwise, it will dial your contact with a pre-selected message to let them know you're hurt.
Yeah, I was still using my 9 or 10 year old Edge 500 then. So no crash detection. My wife always insisted I have location tracking when I ride in the sparsely traveled places, so we used location sharing via Google Maps back then. She actually had that wifely premonition that something had happened and had just check my location and saw my location wasn't changing. Just as she was about to push the button to call me, the people that found me called her using my phones emergency contacts and advised her what was going on.

I've since gotten a newer Edge 530 with incident detection and a Specialized Helmet with Angi. The Garmin gives false alerts sometimes. The Angi never has.

I don't feel it's necessary or imperative that someone have these things just to go on a ride. But since they've gotten so inexpensive compared to other things, why wouldn't one take advantage of them if the opportunity present itself? It's a free feature for Garmin some devices. And a small added cost to Specialized/SWorks helmets that include them. Neither requiring a subscription or other costs. Just a smart phone which most of us have already.
Likes For Iride01:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.