Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

My latest bike build.....

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-23, 07:59 PM
88ss

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked 118 Times in 55 Posts

A friend gave me this Nishiki as a bare frameset a year or two ago and it has been hanging in the garage waiting for it's fate. Also over the last few years I had collected some other parts including a no-name vintage fixed rear hub, a couple of 700c alloy wheels and the very few other parts the bike would need, so I put the fixed hub into the rear wheel, bought a 1/8" chain and bolted the bike together very quickly and went riding. The bike looks to have originally been sold by the Cyclesport shop in New Jersey, and I was surprised at the quality of it's lugs and details for what I am pretty sure is a straight-gauge chromo frame. Not a super heavy frame, but not that light either compared to the known double-butted frames this size I have had in my hands. Anyway I always wanted to play with a fixed gear bike and now I have one to play with, and have been havinga lot of fun riding it around the neighborhood. The bike needs a few finishing touches such as bar-tape etc. which I will get to on some rainy day in the near future, but it is a darn good looking bike as it is in my eye. I like the little heart that used to hold up a set of shift levers for this 120mm spaced former ten-speed bike. Most all of the parts including the tires/tubes for this bike were donated to me or gotten for free, so the total outlay so far for as it sits is no more than $50. Not sure what make the rear hub is, but it must be older as it has the old style adjustable bearings, not sealed units, which I like better anyway.

Last edited by 88ss; 10-19-23 at 08:03 PM.
Likes For 88ss:
Old 10-19-23, 09:00 PM
GeezyRider 

Bikes: There is always room for one more.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 185 Post(s)
Liked 391 Times in 226 Posts
Nice! You did really well for $50. Only thing I would add is a front brake.
Old 10-20-23, 04:47 AM
Jax Rhapsody
Rhapsodic Laviathan

Bikes: Rideable; 83 Schwinn High Sierra. Two cruiser, bmx bike, one other mtb, three road frames, one citybike.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 222 Post(s)
Liked 123 Times in 91 Posts
Not bad. I have a nishiki olympic I made a single speed. I pretty much only paid for the chainring bolts, chain, rear wheel and sprocket. I spent more money in stickers, lol.
Likes For Jax Rhapsody:
Old 10-20-23, 05:44 AM
88ss

Originally Posted by Jax Rhapsody
Not bad. I have a nishiki olympic I made a single speed. I pretty much only paid for the chainring bolts, chain, rear wheel and sprocket. I spent more money in stickers, lol.
What year and dropout spacing is your frame? And is it double-butted? I don't know much about Nishiki bikes but going from how much detail they put into my frame, which must have been mid-range, they look like they made some really nice bikes.
Old 10-20-23, 12:48 PM
Jax Rhapsody
Rhapsodic Laviathan

Bikes: Rideable; 83 Schwinn High Sierra. Two cruiser, bmx bike, one other mtb, three road frames, one citybike.

Quoted: 222 Post(s)
Liked 123 Times in 91 Posts
Originally Posted by 88ss
What year and dropout spacing is your frame? And is it double-butted? I don't know much about Nishiki bikes but going from how much detail they put into my frame, which must have been mid-range, they look like they made some really nice bikes.
It's an 83 I believe. Had a 5 or 6 speed wheel and it's brazed together. It's probably cromo but it's covered in stickers and I don't remember what it is. It's light, though. I wish I could change out the fork and find tiny stickers to cover the blue seat stays and tube connectors.
Old 10-20-23, 01:47 PM
alcjphil

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1820 Post(s)
Liked 1,696 Times in 976 Posts
Kudos for not having lopped off the derailleur hanger
Old 10-20-23, 02:46 PM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
Needs to have front and rear brakes. Even if you rarely use your brakes and do majority of slowing down and stopping using pedals and drivetrain you should still have two working brakes. One front brake is not enough, two brakes is the way to go.
Old 10-20-23, 05:04 PM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 2338 Post(s)
Liked 2,827 Times in 1,543 Posts
82 83 Nishki's of mid level (Olympic 12, International) would have been 126mm, 6 speed and mostly chromo double butted tubing...some in tange.

Old 10-20-23, 07:31 PM
88ss

Originally Posted by squirtdad
82 83 Nishki's of mid level (Olympic 12, International) would have been 126mm, 6 speed and mostly chromo double butted tubing...some in tange.
Well this is a 120mm frame, the guy who gave it to me who stripped it bare said it was a ten-speed. It is not double-butted tubing as it was not super light like a double-butted frame, and usually double-butted frames are all marked as such because I bicycle manufacturer does not go to the expense of high-end tubing without marking it and using it in the marketing of the bicycle.

I have been riding the bike around with no brakes, my wish is to experience the safety bike of the 1890s without having the expense etc. of the TOC bicycle.
Old 10-21-23, 03:43 AM
Mark Dominck

Bikes: Gino Liotto,Kuoto Kharma, Vitus 979, lemond,specialized Tarmac, Austro Daimler Pacifica

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 24 Posts
Originally Posted by 88ss
A friend gave me this Nishiki as a bare frameset a year or two ago and it has been hanging in the garage waiting for it's fate. Also over the last few years I had collected some other parts including a no-name vintage fixed rear hub, a couple of 700c alloy wheels and the very few other parts the bike would need, so I put the fixed hub into the rear wheel, bought a 1/8" chain and bolted the bike together very quickly and went riding. The bike looks to have originally been sold by the Cyclesport shop in New Jersey, and I was surprised at the quality of it's lugs and details for what I am pretty sure is a straight-gauge chromo frame. Not a super heavy frame, but not that light either compared to the known double-butted frames this size I have had in my hands. Anyway I always wanted to play with a fixed gear bike and now I have one to play with, and have been havinga lot of fun riding it around the neighborhood. The bike needs a few finishing touches such as bar-tape etc. which I will get to on some rainy day in the near future, but it is a darn good looking bike as it is in my eye. I like the little heart that used to hold up a set of shift levers for this 120mm spaced former ten-speed bike. Most all of the parts including the tires/tubes for this bike were donated to me or gotten for free, so the total outlay so far for as it sits is no more than $50. Not sure what make the rear hub is, but it must be older as it has the old style adjustable bearings, not sealed units, which I like better anyway.

Looks like a fun project and you only need one gear, never understood why so many gears.
Likes For Mark Dominck:
Old 10-21-23, 09:29 AM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

Bikes: Scott Addict R1, Felt Z1

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 3432 Post(s)
Liked 3,567 Times in 1,793 Posts
A silver Nishiki International was my college bike, and it looked exactly like the one in the photo. I got it in 1976, and I think it retailed for about $150.

All Suntour components, 2x5 speed. It was a very good quality bike for its day.

Likes For terrymorse: