Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Have you cancelled Strava and went back? Or did you find another option?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-24, 09:56 AM
Chuck M 
Happy With My Bikes

Bikes: Hi-Ten bike boomers, a Trek Domane and some projects

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 884 Post(s)
Liked 2,308 Times in 1,118 Posts

After the last Strava price increase, I decided to not renew when my subscriptions expired in December. Most everything I subscribed for I wasn't really using except for very rare times I wanted to create a route or for the beacon function. I liked the ease of creating routes with Strava over Garmin's site and for some reason, beacon always works where Garmin's Livetrack rarely works. I have had two emails thus far that said this was my last chance to get a discount on resubscribing and I suppose they may send me more last chances like Kiss farewell tours. Map my Ride and Ride with GPS seem a bit better than Garmin for creating routes, but still not as good as Strava IMHO.

So have any of you found something you liked better than Strava and not went back, or did you go back due to not finding a better option? I'm probably leaning toward not going back but I'm interested in other's experiences?

Likes For Chuck M:
Old 01-06-24, 10:10 AM
Barry2 
LR÷P=HR

Bikes: 1981 Holdsworth Special, 1993 C-dale MT3000 & 1996 F700CAD3, 2018 Cervelo R3 & 2022 R5, JustGo Runt, Ridley Oval, Kickr Bike 8-)

Quoted: 867 Post(s)
Liked 1,205 Times in 694 Posts
Mine also expired in December. Their price hike from last year was so excessive I haven’t renewed.
yes they are offering discounts, but they are going to expect me to pay full price eventually.

bandaid ripped off

Barry
Likes For Barry2:
Old 01-06-24, 10:14 AM
staehpj1

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1251 Post(s)
Liked 756 Times in 561 Posts
I mostly want to track my data so I have used free mapmyride/mapmyrun until somewhat recently. About the time the free account wasn't useful any more I quit them. For quite a while I was trail running a lot more than riding so it was mostly mapmyrun for a long time. Then my dog got too old to run and I went back riding as my daily workout. About then I switched to Garmin. I tried it when I bought a Garmin watch and found it met my needs fine.

I do let garmin send my data to my free strava account, and I guess it is still active because I get kudos now and then, but I never actually use the app.
Old 01-06-24, 10:38 AM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6972 Post(s)
Liked 10,968 Times in 4,692 Posts
I had to go into Strava to see what I'm paying; it's $79.99/yr. That's a rounding error in my finances.
Likes For Koyote:
Old 01-06-24, 10:47 AM
Bald Paul

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 824 Post(s)
Liked 1,659 Times in 784 Posts
I stopped using Strava a few years ago. It really didn't offer me much more that what I got using Garmin Connect and Ride w/GPS.
Garmin Connect gives me all the stats after a ride - with cadence, speed (average and maximum), heart rate, power output, etc. If I need to plan out a route, I just use the free version of Ride w/GPS, create my route, export it, and bring it into Garmin Connect to upload to my head unit. Connect even has segment leaders, if you're into that stuff.
Likes For Bald Paul:
Old 01-06-24, 10:54 AM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3953 Post(s)
Liked 7,299 Times in 2,947 Posts
Cancelled. Didn't go back.
Likes For tomato coupe:
Old 01-06-24, 11:18 AM
base2 
I am potato.

Bikes: Only precision built, custom high performance elitist machines of the highest caliber. 🍆

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1789 Post(s)
Liked 1,629 Times in 933 Posts
I cancelled. Rolled everything into Connect and really made an effort to like Connect. It turns out that I just don't like the interface. Eventually I went back to Strava and had to manually edit every ride since the switch to preserve continuity.

The people I know are all on Strava. I still keep my rides private with rare exception. That being if we actually see each other in the bike trail it's nice to chat in person & post selfies to the world.

I'm still not sure what $80 gets me besides a fitness/freshness graph and an idea of cumulative training load.

Car dependency is a tax.
Likes For base2:
Old 01-06-24, 11:58 AM
mschwett 

Bikes: addict, aethos, creo, vanmoof, sirrus, public ...

Quoted: 1279 Post(s)
Liked 1,393 Times in 711 Posts
22 cents a day. It’s kind of amazing to me what people who can afford internet, bicycles, internet devices, food and shelter feel is worth griping over. it costs money to run companies and websites, especially one with a hundred million users.
Likes For mschwett:
Old 01-06-24, 11:59 AM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

Bikes: Scott Addict R1, Felt Z1

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 3432 Post(s)
Liked 3,567 Times in 1,793 Posts
Originally Posted by base2
I'm still not sure what $80 gets me besides a fitness/freshness graph and an idea of cumulative training load.
  • your complete personal history on segments
  • segment leaderboards by age & gender

Old 01-06-24, 12:15 PM
Barry2 
LR÷P=HR

Bikes: 1981 Holdsworth Special, 1993 C-dale MT3000 & 1996 F700CAD3, 2018 Cervelo R3 & 2022 R5, JustGo Runt, Ridley Oval, Kickr Bike 8-)

Originally Posted by mschwett
22 cents a day. It’s kind of amazing to me what people who can afford internet, bicycles, internet devices, food and shelter feel is worth griping over. it costs money to run companies and websites, especially one with a hundred million users.

I started paying for Strava in 2019 long before their push to convert free users to paid.
I like the product and felt I should.

Then last year they bumped the price. I feel like this was milking the paid users to cover the masses of free users.
This price model is unfair.

Just charge EVERY user ~$10-20/yr and enjoy all the additional funding that comes in.

Barry
Likes For Barry2:
Old 01-06-24, 12:23 PM
mschwett 

Bikes: addict, aethos, creo, vanmoof, sirrus, public ...

Quoted: 1279 Post(s)
Liked 1,393 Times in 711 Posts
Originally Posted by Barry2
I started paying for Strava in 2019 long before their push to convert free users to paid.
I like the product and felt I should.

Then last year they bumped the price. I feel like this was milking the paid users to cover the masses of free users.
This price model is unfair.

Just charge EVERY user ~$10-20/yr and enjoy all the additional funding that comes in.

Barry
i wonder if they considered that model - as I understand it the problem is that the social aspect of the platform requires a very, very large critical mass, and if everyone had to pay there would simply not be enough users for things like KOMs and many aspects of segments, the heat map based routing, route sharing, clubs etc to work well outside of a handful of very densely cycled areas of the world. At this point Strava is a pretty huge ecosystem, with an API and device partnerships and all that.

A ride tracking platform without any social aspect would be simpler and easier to implement, and many exist but have not been nearly as successful as Strava. They are correspondingly cheaper, although even RwGPS is now $60/yr or so!

100M users sounds like a lot, but that’s globally…
Old 01-06-24, 12:28 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6972 Post(s)
Liked 10,968 Times in 4,692 Posts
Originally Posted by terrymorse
And the ability to follow friends' activities. I've lived in three different states in the past seven years, and Strava is a nice way to keep up with cycling friends.

On what data do you base that conclusion? I'll bet that Strava knows more than you do about how best to maximize their profit.
Old 01-06-24, 12:48 PM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4415 Post(s)
Liked 4,867 Times in 3,012 Posts
I like Strava for ride logging and keeping in touch with what my friends are doing. The paid features are a bit meh, but I just pay and forget. None of the alternatives really appeal. I have Garmin Connect too but I don’t like the UI and so hardly use it.
Likes For PeteHski:
Old 01-06-24, 01:13 PM
One Wheel

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked 52 Times in 40 Posts

Barry
I've tried the free trial of Strava premium, and the free version does everything I need. It's not worth it to me to pay for it, but because of the social aspect I add value to the platform for people who do pay for it.
Old 01-06-24, 01:22 PM
Bald Paul

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 824 Post(s)
Liked 1,659 Times in 784 Posts
Originally Posted by terrymorse
Connect has that as well.
Likes For Bald Paul:
Old 01-06-24, 01:57 PM
Barry2 
LR÷P=HR

i wonder if they considered that model - as I understand it the problem is that the social aspect of the platform requires a very, very large critical mass, and if everyone had to pay there would simply not be enough users for things like KOMs and many aspects of segments, the heat map based routing, route sharing, clubs etc to work well outside of a handful of very densely cycled areas of the world. At this point Strava is a pretty huge ecosystem, with an API and device partnerships and all that.

A ride tracking platform without any social aspect would be simpler and easier to implement, and many exist but have not been nearly as successful as Strava. They are correspondingly cheaper, although even RwGPS is now $60/yr or so!

100M users sounds like a lot, but that’s globally…

I use Wyze home security cameras. When motion occurs they store the video clip in the Cloud for 14 days.
On most of their models, this Cloud storage is included in the purchase of the hardware. No monthly fees.... Free.

Some months ago they asked their Free customers to "pay what/if you can" and IIRC suggested $3/month.
I thought $36/yr was a fair price and chose to pay the recommended fee.

Strava could adopt a similar approach by offering a Contributing Membership along with one of the paid only features to encourage signups.
It has to be better than alienation (and loss) of existing paying customers through the adoption of excessive price hikes.

Barry
Old 01-06-24, 01:58 PM
Rick_D

Bikes: Litespeed Firenze, Spot Acme, Specialzed S Works Pro Race, Davidson Stiletto, Colnago Superissimo

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 133 Post(s)
Liked 300 Times in 172 Posts
Originally Posted by Bald Paul
Connect has that as well.
Since I already pay Garmin for their gizmos I'm comfortable using their Connect, Explore and Earthmate apps. Don't even want the added complexity of a 3rd party app avec subscription.

Not to mention already having more subscriptions than I can easily count--suckers add up.
Old 01-06-24, 03:02 PM
Chuck M 
Happy With My Bikes

Bikes: Hi-Ten bike boomers, a Trek Domane and some projects

Quoted: 884 Post(s)
Liked 2,308 Times in 1,118 Posts
Their price hike from last year was so excessive bandaid ripped off

Barry
I too thought the increase was excessive. That is why I evaluated if I thought I really needed it or not. I started to pick at the bandaid, but when I clicked subscribe, it was going to subscribe me to all the features. I seemed to remember when I initially subscribed there were a la carte options.
Originally Posted by staehpj1
I do let garmin send my data to my free strava account, and I guess it is still active because I get kudos now and then, but I never actually use the app.
still have mine connected. Between My Fitness Pal, Strava, Fitbit, and Garmin Connect, there is some hoodoo that gets data from them to my Apple Watch and I don't want to break that. And I look at

I have a Garmin Edge and a Forerunner. Garmin does a good job of collecting and presenting data to me if I want to see it. But the cost of it over a year just to plan one or two routes doesn't make the $0.22 a day worthwhile. There was a time obviously that I didn't mind subscribing to all the features. When I was running with the youth group. I did like the trending feature to track the improvement of my youth I paired with but it wasn't important to track my trends. Heatmaps were good to find routes when I traveled quite a bit, but my job now doesn't require travel. The Flyby feature was really neat when I was running marathons but since the privacy settings changes people don't turn Flyby on that much.

Old 01-06-24, 04:00 PM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 560 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22600 Post(s)
Liked 8,927 Times in 4,160 Posts
I use the free version which is good enough for my needs. I use ridewithgps for route planning, Strava just to track my rides and what my friends are doing.

That said, I predict later this year they may get rid of the free version. I hope I am wrong but they are under pressure from investors to become more profitable.
Likes For datlas:
Old 01-06-24, 04:07 PM
One Wheel

Originally Posted by datlas
That said, I predict later this year they may get rid of the free version. I hope I am wrong but they are under pressure from investors to become more profitable.
If they get rid of the free version there may be a slight temporary uptick in revenue, but they'll be bankrupt within 5 years. That's my prediction.
Likes For One Wheel:
Old 01-06-24, 04:23 PM
AE86Trueno

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
For me I find Strava and Garmin Connect features overlap a lot and also tried the subscription but the paid features I don't really use it so I went back to free member in Strava.
One feature that I miss was the weekly distance I can quickly glance from the main page, this was available for free member but recently (few months back) I think they removed it. It still there but did not show any distance.
The social part of Strava I think is the biggest difference as its brand agnostic so naturally it will have more users compared to Connect.
Old 01-06-24, 04:34 PM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 3148 Post(s)
Liked 1,713 Times in 1,034 Posts
Geez, Strava says I’ve been a subscriber since 2013, so I’m pretty anchored. I have user profiles with Garmin Connect, RidewithGPS, TrainingPeaks, SRAM AXS, Wahoo, and lord knows what else, but Strava is the thing I appreciate more than any other, and by a huge margin. Strava is peerless.
Likes For chaadster:
Old 01-06-24, 04:36 PM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 560 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22600 Post(s)
Liked 8,927 Times in 4,160 Posts
Originally Posted by One Wheel
If they get rid of the free version there may be a slight temporary uptick in revenue, but they'll be bankrupt within 5 years. That's my prediction.
Sounds about right for Private Equity controlled company.

Again, I hope both you and I are wrong in these predictions because I think it’s a good product, but they are under pressure to show better numbers in advance of monetization or whatever you call it when VC/PE wants their money.
Old 01-06-24, 06:09 PM
Barry2 
LR÷P=HR

Originally Posted by datlas
That said, I predict later this year they may get rid of the free version. .
As of December 2023 Strava has a new CEO (Michael Martin). I so hope he does something to monetize the Free users and stops the milking of those that pay for the product.

Barry
Old 01-06-24, 06:26 PM
One Wheel

As of December 2023 Strava has a new CEO (Michael Martin). I so hope he does something to monetize the Free users and stops the milking of those that pay for the product.

Barry
Non-paying users add value to the product. There are other options that I don't use, simply because there aren't as many people to compare to. As a non-paying user I miss out on some features, and that is reasonable. I just checked the segments that I have KOMs on, and, not counting the one that only has 3 people recorded as completing the segment, only 17 out of 40 users in the top 10 are premium users (some overlap between segments, obviously). I'm not mooching, I'm contributing to critical mass.
Likes For One Wheel:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.