Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Wow...just watched an American Pickers show

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Wow...just watched an American Pickers show

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-13, 06:14 PM
gaucho777 

Bikes: '72 Cilo Pacer, '72 Gitane Gran Tourisme, '72 Peugeot PX10, '73 Speedwell Ti, '74 Peugeot UE-8, '75 Peugeot PR-10L, '80 Colnago Super, '85 De Rosa Pro, '86 Look Equipe 753, '86 Look KG86, '89 Parkpre Team, '90 Parkpre Team MTB, '90 Merlin

Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 835 Post(s)
Liked 2,152 Times in 559 Posts
Originally Posted by rootboy
Kill your television.

I did.
I probably watch ~150 regular season baseball games a year on tv. That doesn't include the playoffs, spring training, World Baseball Classic, College WS, etc., nor games I listen to during the workday on mlb radio (get your Vin Scully while you can!). I'm probably more obsessed with baseball than bikes, and that's sayin' something. It's the main reason I have no desire to get rid of my tv. Btw, 2 weeks until pitchers and catchers report to Spring Training!

'72 Cilo Pacer • '72 Peugeot PX10 • '73 Speedwell Ti • '74 Nishiki Competition • '74 Peugeot UE-8 • '86 Look Equipe 753 • '86 Look KG86 • '89 Parkpre Team Road • '90 Parkpre Team MTB • '90 Merlin Ti

Avatar photo courtesy of jeffveloart.com, contact: contact: jeffnil8 (at) gmail.com.
Old 01-28-13, 06:51 PM
ftwelder

Bikes: Many

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Italuminium
Moved out of my parents house when I went to university and never bothered with a television. Don't think I ever will. I'm surprised so many people of my age still bother with them, when a reasonable pc can do it all without the add breaks. I guess people just WANT to be fed bull****. Instead, I spend my nights arguing over chainring bolts with some American dudes on an obscure bike forum!

We don't argue, we have intellectual exchanges.
Old 01-28-13, 08:09 PM
Mariner Fan
59'er

Bikes: LeMond Maillot Jaune, Vintage Trek 520 (1985), 1976 Schwinn Voyageur 2, Miyata 1000 (1985)

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by gaucho777
I probably watch ~150 regular season baseball games a year on tv. That doesn't include the playoffs, spring training, World Baseball Classic, College WS, etc., nor games I listen to during the workday on mlb radio (get your Vin Scully while you can!). I'm probably more obsessed with baseball than bikes, and that's sayin' something. It's the main reason I have no desire to get rid of my tv. Btw, 2 weeks until pitchers and catchers report to Spring Training!
I'm with you on that. I want to take my vacation in Peoria to watch the Mariners.
Old 01-28-13, 08:30 PM
sykerocker 

Bikes: The keepers: 1958 Raleigh Lenton Grand Prix, 1968 Ranger, 1969 Magneet Sprint, 1971 Gitane Tour de France, 1973 Raleigh Tourist, 3 - 1986 Rossins, and a '77 PX-10 frame in process.

Quoted: 221 Post(s)
Liked 237 Times in 129 Posts
Originally Posted by fender1
Those shows are fun to watch but the pricing always borders on the ridiculous.
Keep in mind, in those kind of shows, the dealers are not paying for the stuff out of their pockets. The producing television channel is actually picking up the bills. Therefore, any REAL haggling (as in, what they spend directly impacts the company's bottom line) doesn't happen. Were it the dealer's actual money, I'm convinced that stuff would be negotiated to half what they're paying in front of the camera.

I learned a lot about these kind of shows being peripherally involved with American Choppers when they did the Jay Leno bike. Whatever respect I had for those guys went completely out the window at the end of that mess.

“No one in this world, so far as I know — and I have searched the records for years, and employed agents to help me — has ever lost money by underestimating the intelligence of the great masses of the plain people. Nor has anyone ever lost public office thereby.”

H.L. Mencken, (1926)

Old 01-28-13, 08:31 PM
sykerocker 

Bikes: The keepers: 1958 Raleigh Lenton Grand Prix, 1968 Ranger, 1969 Magneet Sprint, 1971 Gitane Tour de France, 1973 Raleigh Tourist, 3 - 1986 Rossins, and a '77 PX-10 frame in process.

Quoted: 221 Post(s)
Liked 237 Times in 129 Posts
Btw, 2 weeks until pitchers and catchers report to Spring Training!
That, the Westminster swap meet, and the Rolex 24 Hours at Daytona are what gives me hope this time of year. And World Superbike starts in four weeks.

“No one in this world, so far as I know — and I have searched the records for years, and employed agents to help me — has ever lost money by underestimating the intelligence of the great masses of the plain people. Nor has anyone ever lost public office thereby.”

H.L. Mencken, (1926)

Old 01-28-13, 08:36 PM
jon c. 

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1591 Post(s)
Liked 1,020 Times in 572 Posts
TV is the opiate of the masses.

A common revision of that old maxim. But it was coined before the advent of the internet.
Old 01-28-13, 10:15 PM
Velognome 
Get off my lawn!

Bikes: 1917 Loomis, 1923 Rudge, 1930 Hercules Renown, 1947 Mclean, 1948 JA Holland, 1955 Hetchins, 1957 Carlton Flyer, 1962 Raleigh Sport, 1978&81 Raleigh Gomp GS', 2010 Raliegh Clubman

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked 98 Times in 48 Posts
"Everybody must get stoned"
Old 01-28-13, 10:35 PM
gaucho777 

Bikes: '72 Cilo Pacer, '72 Gitane Gran Tourisme, '72 Peugeot PX10, '73 Speedwell Ti, '74 Peugeot UE-8, '75 Peugeot PR-10L, '80 Colnago Super, '85 De Rosa Pro, '86 Look Equipe 753, '86 Look KG86, '89 Parkpre Team, '90 Parkpre Team MTB, '90 Merlin

Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Quoted: 835 Post(s)
Liked 2,152 Times in 559 Posts
They stone you at the breakfast table,
they stone you when you thin the stable..

'72 Cilo Pacer • '72 Peugeot PX10 • '73 Speedwell Ti • '74 Nishiki Competition • '74 Peugeot UE-8 • '86 Look Equipe 753 • '86 Look KG86 • '89 Parkpre Team Road • '90 Parkpre Team MTB • '90 Merlin Ti

Avatar photo courtesy of jeffveloart.com, contact: contact: jeffnil8 (at) gmail.com.
Old 01-29-13, 07:01 AM
Dan Burkhart 

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 943 Post(s)
Liked 659 Times in 372 Posts
I have a bit of a unique perspective on one "reality" tv show.
In the winter of 2007, I went north to the NWT to work on the Tibbit to Contwoyto Winter Road. It was less out of a sense of adventure than the need to rehab my bank account after a year without a pay check.
We were aware of film crews showing up here and there along the road.The official story was that the Discovery Channel was there to do a documentary on the "Ice Road" The drivers involved in the filming worked for a different company, and were very tight lipped about what was going on.
Imagine my surprise when "Ice Road Truckers" season one came out. It portrayed a bunch of yahoos in something called the "Dash for the cash"
What I saw in that show showed little resemblance to the reality of a supremely well run operation.
They continually showed the computer generated image of a truck breaking through the ice and sinking to the bottom. The truth is, that in the history of that road, there has never been a truck and driver lost through the ice.
Their load counts were a joke. It showed them always hooking on to pre loaded trailers in Yellowknife, and never going farther up the road than the BHP Ekati mine.
I had to load all my own, (as did just about everyone) and at least half my loads went all the way to the north end of the road to the Tehera Jerricho mine. (Their company did not go that far up the road.)
It was fun to watch though, as would recognize the places and some of the people. When they would show some of the accidents and misshaps, I could relate where I was when that was going on, so that was kind of neat.
Old 01-29-13, 07:04 AM
rootboy 

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 556 Post(s)
Liked 132 Times in 78 Posts
Originally Posted by jon c.
TV is the opiate of the masses.

A common revision of that old maxim. But it was coined before the advent of the internet.
Good point. I suppose it has to be revised yet again.
Old 01-29-13, 07:14 AM
frantik
Chainstay Brake Mafia

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by PatTheSlat
My favorite scene from any of these shows is the guy from Storage Wars who was certain that an old Nintendo was worth $13,000: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=95eUhuR8_ps
LMAO... even $10 for a broken NES was way generous
Old 01-29-13, 08:09 AM
KonAaron Snake 
Fat Guy on a Little Bike

Bikes: Two wheeled ones

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1254 Post(s)
Liked 345 Times in 174 Posts
They stone you at the breakfast table,
they stone you when you thin the stable..
They'll stone you when you're trying to make a buck
They'll stone you when you're riding your Mukluk...
Old 01-29-13, 09:28 AM
sloar 

Bikes: they change so much I'm tired of updating this

Mentioned: 168 Post(s)
Quoted: 1212 Post(s)
Liked 1,128 Times in 427 Posts
The worst thing about these shows are, people watch them and think the old rusty schwinn in the shed is worth $1,000. People use to give old stuff away, but since these shows came out everyone thinks they have rare one of a kind items because they are old and rusty.
Old 01-29-13, 09:58 AM
cobrabyte
one life on two wheels

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 15 Posts
I'm not so sure of the effect on market price based on these shows. If anything, this forum has as much to do with inflating prices as anything else.

I will say this, fake or not, I have seen some really cool, rare old bikes (along with other antiques) on that show. Turn of the century safety bikes, high-wheelers, pre-war Schwinns, etc...not so many of you guys seem to be showing those off here if you happen to have them in your collections.

I did see them happen across an old Motobecane once, that was in rough shape, and they took it for something like $75. So how much of this "inflating" of the market price is that causing exactly?
Old 01-29-13, 10:13 AM
TampaRaleigh

Bikes: 1986 Raleigh Competition (Restored to Original), 1986 Cannonade SR400 (Updated to Dura Ace 7800)

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by KonAaron Snake
Eggggs-actly. Store front rent, employees, taxes, auction fees, storage, etc. Pawn Stars is the same way...I don't think the appraisals are that off, but I don't believe they actually pay that much.

It's definitely TV, though I don't think their appraisals are that crazy (at least on the stuff I actually something about).
I went to the "Pawn Stars" shop a couple years before they were a tv show... nothing particularly special. Now, half of the shop is t-shirts and other souvenirs.
Old 01-29-13, 10:51 AM
Chombi

Bikes: 1986 Alan Record Carbonio, 1985 Vitus Plus Carbone 7, 1984 Peugeot PSV, 1972 Line Seeker, 1986(est.) Medici Aerodynamic (Project), 1985(est.) Peugeot PY10FC

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 27 Posts
Then there's that guy with the "American Restoration" show.
Everything sounds and looks scripted, but their quotes for restorations sounds like they are in the ballpark, as he now charges thousands to restore some of the smaller, simpler things things that supposedly comes into his shop.
Thing is, they do the "scorched earth" type of restoration where any kind of "patina" is considered garbage to be stripped sanded and painted over....or replaced.....
I'd rather watch "Wheeler Deaelers" (on the Velocity channel) from the UK over all these reality TV shows.....where mechanic/restorer Ed China seems to work for free to fix some great C&V cars! "Chasing Classic Cars" show with Wayne Carini is a close second....but I usually get envious that he gets to own and drive such nice and sometimes, iconic classic cars.....
JMOs

Chombi
Old 01-29-13, 11:04 AM
KonAaron Snake 
Fat Guy on a Little Bike

Bikes: Two wheeled ones

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1254 Post(s)
Liked 345 Times in 174 Posts
The American Restoration guys are asking for $3,000 to restore a bicycle, which seems utterly insane to me. I think they've actually stopped doing them because other things are more profitable (coke machines, gas pumps).
Old 01-29-13, 11:32 AM
cobrabyte
one life on two wheels

That's why I stick to science oriented shows. Anything with Neil deGrasse Tyson in it, I tune in. That, or TCM, Turner Classic Movies. I avoid TV news at all costs. Reality TV is just ridiculous too. I do tend to watch American Pickers if it's on though, for the cool stuf they run across. I do prefer good ol' Antiques Roadshow.

Last edited by cobrabyte; 01-29-13 at 01:12 PM.
Old 01-29-13, 12:58 PM
treebound 
aka: Mike J.

Bikes: 1995 Trek 520 is the current primary bike.

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 39 Posts
Originally Posted by KonAaron Snake
Storage Wars definitely seems to have wonkier pricing than Pickers...I remember one of them valuing a $125 bike at $400 and I just laughed.
I've also seen them value a $500 BMX bike at $50 or so.
Old 01-29-13, 02:23 PM
leaping_gnome

Bikes: 1975 Eisentraut Ltd, 1995 Trek 7000 MTB, 2007 Masi Vincere, 1974 Masi GC, 1981 Specialized Allez, 1984 Specialized Sequoia

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Chombi
Then there's that guy with the "American Restoration" show.
Everything sounds and looks scripted, but their quotes for restorations sounds like they are in the ballpark, as he now charges thousands to restore some of the smaller, simpler things things that supposedly comes into his shop.
Thing is, they do the "scorched earth" type of restoration where any kind of "patina" is considered garbage to be stripped sanded and painted over....or replaced.....
I'd rather watch "Wheeler Deaelers" (on the Velocity channel) from the UK over all these reality TV shows.....where mechanic/restorer Ed China seems to work for free to fix some great C&V cars! "Chasing Classic Cars" show with Wayne Carini is a close second....but I usually get envious that he gets to own and drive such nice and sometimes, iconic classic cars.....
JMOs

Chombi
There you go! I like Ed China, but the poor guy does some pretty intense work for not much profit. Still fun seeing him get his hands greasy on a car I might actually afford. I think it was "American Restoration" where they went to a swap meet to "check things out" and breezed past a Ben Bowden Spacelander. Unbelievable, literally.

Look, I'm old enough to watch TV - the kids are grown and gone. I remember eschewing TV back in the days gone by.
I also more that agree that there is more going on off camera in these shows about making up the "deals." UnrealityTV. Can't wait for the F1 season, though.

Jim
Old 01-29-13, 03:02 PM
dbakl

Bikes: Cinelli, Paramount, Raleigh, Carlton, Zeus, Gemniani, Frejus, Legnano, Pinarello, Falcon

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by cobrabyte
That's why I stick to science oriented shows.
Yeah, I can't turn away from the search for Bigfoot. Seems they're ready to catch him any day now...
Old 01-29-13, 03:15 PM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5224 Post(s)
Liked 3,585 Times in 2,344 Posts
fun show
Old 01-29-13, 04:22 PM
cobrabyte
one life on two wheels

Originally Posted by dbakl
Yeah, I can't turn away from the search for Bigfoot. Seems they're ready to catch him any day now...

Science, not fantasy lol
Old 01-29-13, 05:32 PM
Chombi

Bikes: 1986 Alan Record Carbonio, 1985 Vitus Plus Carbone 7, 1984 Peugeot PSV, 1972 Line Seeker, 1986(est.) Medici Aerodynamic (Project), 1985(est.) Peugeot PY10FC

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 27 Posts
Originally Posted by dbakl
Uhmmm.. BTW, their "professional" lingo name for the monster is "Squatch"..... Keep in mind to use it if you run into those guys or they won't take you along on their next hunt.....
Yes,.....I saw the show but only for like two episodes after which I concluded, like the usual, it's all pretty much trash......just like those ghost hunter type shows....Shhhhhh!!.....Did you hear that!!??
Old 01-29-13, 05:40 PM
PatTheSlat 

Bikes: '63 Schwinn American, '64 DL-1, '65 Schwinn Racer, '73 Super Course, '83 Voyageur SP, '89 Miyata 914, '03 EZ-1, '13 Raleigh i8 Folder

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 28 Posts
Good article on Pawn Stars, also covers American Restoration a bit: https://centraltendencies.com/2011/03...stars-is-fake/

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.