Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Work in progress,opinions encouraged.

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Work in progress,opinions encouraged.

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-23, 05:13 PM
gna
Count Orlok Member

Bikes: Raleigh Sports, Raleigh Twenty, Raleigh Wyoming, Raleigh DL1, Schwinn Winter Bike

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked 177 Times in 97 Posts
Originally Posted by sloar
9 speed wheelset is the plan.
You may need to respace the frame.
Old 08-03-23, 08:02 PM
sloar 

Bikes: they change so much I'm tired of updating this

Mentioned: 168 Post(s)
Quoted: 1212 Post(s)
Liked 1,128 Times in 427 Posts
Crank situation taken care of.

Old 08-03-23, 09:12 PM
AdventureManCO 
The Huffmeister

Bikes: '79 Trek 938, '86 Jim Merz Allez SE, '90 Miyata 1000, '68 PX-10, '80 PXN-10, '73 Super Course, '87 Guerciotti, '83 Trek 600, '80 Huffy Le Grande

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Quoted: 1227 Post(s)
Liked 3,561 Times in 1,412 Posts
Originally Posted by Andy_K
I like V-brakes much better than cantilever brakes, but even with the correct cable pull they have to be set up fairly close to the rim. For loaded touring, I think that tips the scales in favor of cantilevers.

I absolutely hate the Shimano "mega-range" freewheel. I had one once and it always felt like I had dropped the chain when I shifted onto the big cog. I'm all for having a super-low bailout gear, but that jump is way too big. It sounds like you won't have to worry about that if you're moving to nine speeds.

That LX rear derailleur is great.

If you have someone local who will do reasonably priced torch work, I'd consider adding mid-fork braze-ons and maybe lowering the brake posts since you're having it powder coated.

Otherwise, it looks great.

I really like V-brakes as well, but if they won't work on this one, then run w/ what ya got.

I was going to ask about that mega thing as well. I now have one on a bike I just picked up, and the XT derailleur rubs on it when in the second-to-lowest gear, and isn't really happy with it while on that lowest gear. I plan to switch mine out, and it seems like you already have plans there.

All sounds good to me

Old 08-03-23, 09:41 PM
USAZorro
Señor Member

Bikes: Mostly English - predominantly Raleighs

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 1492 Post(s)
Liked 1,096 Times in 642 Posts
That threadless stem looks awful on that bike. If I had something that would have a chance of meeting your apparent height and reach needs, I'd send it to you.

Another vote for cantis here. My opinion is largely formed by my challenges in setting them properly, though the stated need for minimal clearance of the rim could become an issue that would compound any incident that throws the wheel out of true. I'm a long-time fan of bar-cons, and 3 x 9 is a great intersection of ubiquity and functionality. Just know your riding preferences and study the gear charts before deciding on cassette and ring details.

Are you thinking of a Holdsworth-ish orange (which I think is close to a Lemond orange, but different from Molteni or Crescent)?

Eager to see how this turns out.
Old 08-04-23, 12:49 AM
Piff 

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 801 Post(s)
Liked 754 Times in 411 Posts
A nitto dynamic II stem might work to get the proper height and reach. I've got a spare available for sale with a 25.4mm clamp diameter, PM me if you're interested in the exact measurements.

(not my picture)
Old 08-04-23, 05:08 AM
sloar 

Originally Posted by Piff
A nitto dynamic II stem might work to get the proper height and reach. I've got a spare available for sale with a 25.4mm clamp diameter, PM me if you're interested in the exact measurements.

(not my picture)

Im still messing with the fit, once I have it for sure I’ll search for a proper stem.
Old 08-04-23, 06:11 AM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Quoted: 5888 Post(s)
Liked 3,471 Times in 2,079 Posts
Originally Posted by roadcrankr
Other than cash outlay, you make me wonder why you want barcon over brifters.
Seems like safer, swifter, convenient shifting with brifters on a loaded tourer.
By and large, most people liked bar end shifters over brifters for touring bike for a long time even after brifters took over the road bike market. That may be changing now as few classic touring bike are being made. Two possible advantages to bar ends (or barcons if you like friction) is that they are less likely to be damaged in a fall and they have a friction option which on a long trip may prove useful. Personally I'd go 3 x 7 or 3 x 9 with shimano indexing bar ends over brifters. Indexing never made a lot of sense to me for the front chainrings particularly with a triple.
Likes For bikemig:
Old 08-04-23, 06:14 AM
bikemig 

Im still messing with the fit, once I have it for sure I’ll search for a proper stem.
Soma sells a really good looking stem which is not as tall as a nitto technomic but it is taller than a conventional stem. Also Nitto makes the M11.

https://www.benscycle.com/nitto-mt11...tto_mt11_870/p

https://www.modernbike.com/product-2...RoCmxwQAvD_BwE

I'm using the Soma Sutra on a build. It is a good looking and finely finished stem. I wouldn't be surprised if it is made by Nitto.
Old 08-04-23, 06:45 AM
sloar 

Originally Posted by bikemig
Soma sells a really good looking stem which is not as tall as a nitto technomic but it is taller than a conventional stem. Also Nitto makes the M11.

https://www.benscycle.com/nitto-mt11...tto_mt11_870/p

https://www.modernbike.com/product-2...RoCmxwQAvD_BwE

I'm using the Soma Sutra on a build. It is a good looking and finely finished stem. I wouldn't be surprised if it is made by Nitto.

Thanks, I’ll look into those once I have the fit down. This frame initially threw me off having a 56cm st and a 54cm tt.
Old 08-04-23, 02:45 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10969 Post(s)
Liked 7,495 Times in 4,191 Posts
- Why is this bike the one and not any of the other dedicated touring bikes you were going to tour on? You had a well equipped Surly Trucker, or 2?, that fit and was touring ready.
- 3x9 is, to me, massively better than 3x7.
- Its always cool to have a good powdercoating guy that does a quality job for not much money. Its frustrating when lug corners are too thinly coated or something like that due to cost.

Best of luck on your touring.
Old 08-04-23, 03:22 PM
sloar 

Originally Posted by mstateglfr
- Why is this bike the one and not any of the other dedicated touring bikes you were going to tour on? You had a well equipped Surly Trucker, or 2?, that fit and was touring ready.
- 3x9 is, to me, massively better than 3x7.
- Its always cool to have a good powdercoating guy that does a quality job for not much money. Its frustrating when lug corners are too thinly coated or something like that due to cost.

Best of luck on your touring.

The Surly is a great bike for touring but that’s about it. I want an everyday bike that I can also take trips with. Plus I like to blow my money on bikes and parts. When I’m finished with this one it will be 3x9 with modern parts and all the braze ons I could need.
Old 08-05-23, 09:37 AM
kroozer 
vintage motor

Bikes: 48 Automoto, 49 Stallard, 50 Rotrax, 62 Jack Taylor, 67 Atala, 68 Lejeune, 72-74-75 Motobecanes, 73 RIH, 71 Zieleman, 74 Raleigh, 78 Windsor, 83 Messina (Villata), 84 Brazzo (Losa), 85 Davidson, 90 Diamondback, 92 Kestrel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked 102 Times in 79 Posts
For a long tour I would first pay attention to fit and comfort, then the luggage system, then the wheels. Tourers are going to get beat on, so aesthetics comes last. But it's your baby!
Old 08-05-23, 09:42 AM
sloar 

Originally Posted by kroozer
For a long tour I would first pay attention to fit and comfort, then the luggage system, then the wheels. Tourers are going to get beat on, so aesthetics comes last. But it's your baby!

Fit and comfort taken care of, wheels are coming soon.I have Tubus racks and Ortlieb bags.Winter work will be a little brazing work and powder coating. I’m retiring soon and want to narrow down to one bike since we will be traveling. I want a do everything bike but still want it to look nice.
Old 08-05-23, 02:15 PM
non-fixie 
Shifting is fun!

Bikes: Yes, please.

Mentioned: 280 Post(s)
Quoted: 2198 Post(s)
Liked 4,611 Times in 1,765 Posts
(...) I like to blow my money on bikes and parts. (...)

In that case I would suggest keeping aan eye open for a larger version of that - otherwise beautiful - frame. Over the past ten years I have been moving up in size and found that taller is better, i.e. more comfortable.

I started at 60cm, and via 62 and 63 I am currently riding 64cm:

Oh, and I have a 35" inseam.

Likes For non-fixie:
Old 08-06-23, 12:51 AM
bwilli88 
Not lost wanderer.

Bikes: In USA; 73 Raleigh Super Course dingle speed, 72 Raleigh Gran Sport SS, 72 Geoffry Butler, 81 Centurion Pro-Tour, 74 Gugie Grandier Sportier

Mentioned: 73 Post(s)
Quoted: 886 Post(s)
Liked 1,000 Times in 526 Posts
I really like Shimano's 9 speed 12x36 cassette and 48x45x28 chainrings. I have that on my Witcomb shifted by barcons.

Last edited by bwilli88; 08-06-23 at 01:38 AM.
Likes For bwilli88:
Old 08-06-23, 05:22 AM
beicster 

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 360 Post(s)
Liked 328 Times in 186 Posts
Originally Posted by bwilli88
I really like Shimano's 9 speed 12x36 cassette and 48x45x28 chainrings. I have that on my Witcomb shifted by barcons.
what derailleur are you running to get to 36?
Old 08-06-23, 06:15 AM
sloar 

So I’ve picked up a set of Velocity Dyad wheels, and a better stem. I’ve got several 9 speed cassettes that I’m going to try. I’ve also ordered cage bosses and fork bosses, but that’s a winter project. Only thing left is a front derailleur and 9 speed barend shifters. I’m still under budget so I’m pretty happy so far.
Old 08-06-23, 06:16 AM
sloar 

Originally Posted by bwilli88
Love the bike, and that’s a great build.
Old 08-06-23, 06:55 AM
bwilli88 
Not lost wanderer.

Bikes: In USA; 73 Raleigh Super Course dingle speed, 72 Raleigh Gran Sport SS, 72 Geoffry Butler, 81 Centurion Pro-Tour, 74 Gugie Grandier Sportier

Mentioned: 73 Post(s)
Quoted: 886 Post(s)
Liked 1,000 Times in 526 Posts
Originally Posted by beicster
what derailleur are you running to get to 36?
That is a Dura-Ace 7700 GS, works terrific.

trial build in Pennsylvania before I shipped it to Cambodia and it is now back in Pennsylvania waiting to be rebuilt and ridden hard.

Love the bike, and that’s a great build.
Thanks, I had some great input from BF and also great sources here.
gugie did great work on the frame and fork.
Old 08-06-23, 08:46 AM
Bianchigirll 
Bianchi Goddess

Bikes: Too many to list here check my signature.

Mentioned: 193 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2936 Post(s)
Liked 2,933 Times in 1,496 Posts
Like I said, it’s a work in progress. After a two hour ride, I realized I was too cramped. I hate the look of the stem, but it feels really good.
These are great bikes for longer rides, I used to know lots of guys who had various Fuji tourers but they mostly did “credit card” touring with a van to boot but long 100+ miles days were commonplace.

Anyway what did you decide on the brakes? I tried to upgrade my '86 Volpe a year or so ago and I decided the brakes were not far enough away from the rim and therefore the 'arms' were not in the correct upright position. Maybe someone used to working on V brakes can make it work but I'm not sure I just don't think the older bosses just aren't far enough away to allow for Vs

Also I'm not a big brifter fan, please don't get me started, but especially for this project not having them makes a lot of sense. If the derailleur or hanger gets bent in the middle of nowhere you might be stuck, but with the barend or Dt shifter that has a friction option you can likely keep moving. I only have two bikes with brifters and if they ever break those bikes get retrofriction shifters.

Sugar "Kane" Kowalczyk

Last edited by Bianchigirll; 08-06-23 at 08:59 AM.
Old 08-06-23, 10:37 AM
bikemig 

Originally Posted by Bianchigirll
These are great bikes for longer rides, I used to know lots of guys who had various Fuji tourers but they mostly did “credit card” touring with a van to boot but long 100+ miles days were commonplace.

Anyway what did you decide on the brakes? I tried to upgrade my '86 Volpe a year or so ago and I decided the brakes were not far enough away from the rim and therefore the 'arms' were not in the correct upright position. Maybe someone used to working on V brakes can make it work but I'm not sure I just don't think the older bosses just aren't far enough away to allow for Vs

snip . . .
Some modern cantilevers won't work on old bikes as the posts are too narrow. I don't know if this is true of v brakes as well (although your experience suggests that this is the case) as I've never bothered to install v brakes on an old bike. Cantilevers are swell in my book particularly on a touring bike.
Likes For bikemig:
Old 08-06-23, 11:02 AM
Bianchigirll 
Bianchi Goddess

Bikes: Too many to list here check my signature.

Mentioned: 193 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2936 Post(s)
Liked 2,933 Times in 1,496 Posts
sloar I forgot, I’ve bouncing between the tablet and desktop, I have three or for of those quill adapters and while they may look a clunky they do offer my a great more upright riding position and if you have a little cable slack lots of adjustment. You could turn the stem upside down and get slightly lower or easily replace it for more height

Sugar "Kane" Kowalczyk
Old 08-06-23, 11:22 AM
52telecaster
ambulatory senior

Bikes: Austro Daimler modified by Gugie! Raleigh Professional and lots of other bikes.

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 1955 Post(s)
Liked 3,661 Times in 1,679 Posts
Someone else mentioned frame size and I never tell people what to ride but an inch taller frame looks like it would fit pretty well with your current touch points. Of course you already have a frameset you love so there is that.
Old 08-06-23, 02:14 PM
sloar 

ST is 56cm, at 5’9” that’s perfect for me. I normally use an 80mm stem on 56cm toptubes. But this is a 54cm tt so a 100mm stem is perfect.
Old 08-06-23, 02:16 PM
sloar 

I’m leaving the brakes alone for now. They work pretty good with the Kool Stop pads.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.