Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

The dirty little secret about carbon fiber bikes

Search
Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-14, 06:55 AM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts

Posted on my facebook page which has several members in cycling was this bit of information. In professional racing, riders are experiencing sudden failure of their carbon frames. It was reported that the failure is so complete, and the frame usually shatters so completely that the frame can be sent back in a small box not much bigger than a box for the wheels. These high end bikes are called "carbon frames" but are little more than some carbon fiber imbedded in plastic. It would be more accurate to call them plastic bikes. In the Tour, almost all pile ups call for a new bike. The days of just straighting out the handle bars on their metal bikes and getting on with the race are long gone.

The dirty little secret here is that racers are pretty much told to keep quiet since the bikes they are given are provided by big name bicycle mfg, and if they speak out, they would be out of racing. The fact here is the mfg make huge profits selling plastic bikes to the wanna be racer boys at very high prices. It all boils down to money as most things do.

BTW I expect to get a lot of hate mail from mfg reps who wont admit who they are, and bike shop owners to also make good money selling the "latest most wonderful" bikes.
Old 07-28-14, 07:07 AM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Quoted: 5888 Post(s)
Liked 3,471 Times in 2,079 Posts
That is not quite what the NY times article said (I'm assuming the OP is referencing that article). The article pointed out that some riders reported frame failures . The one important take away from that article is that carbon fiber is a great material if you can trust the manufacturer. Given the importance most riders assign to low weight and the economic pressure to keep costs lows, there is a question (and the article quoted an industry insider on this) about how reliable carbon fiber might be for ordinary riders. The "dirty" secret, though, is economics 101 not anything specific to carbon.

This post, I suspect, is designed to start a food fight. This is a url to the article which is not as apocalyptic as the OP suggests:

https://www.nytimes.com/2014/07/27/sp...rder.html?_r=0

Last edited by bikemig; 07-28-14 at 07:45 AM.
Old 07-28-14, 07:29 AM
trailangel

Bikes: Schwinn Varsity

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1931 Post(s)
Liked 742 Times in 422 Posts
Ha! I just want to know why everybody is wearing white shoes?
Looks like they are riding their bikes on the way to a golf game.
Old 07-28-14, 07:30 AM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts
bikemig

Yes---I believe that was the piece my friend was using. The fact remains metal usually cracks and bends, CF shatters, and you are on the ground instantly.

IMO the problem here is this is a case of the "weight weenies" going over board, and making CF frames too light. Note that the UCI that I dont agree with much at all, has put a minimum weight on racing bikes.
Old 07-28-14, 07:39 AM
pvillemasher

Bikes: 1989 Trek 400, 2000 Lemond Buenos Aires, 2013 GT Attack, 2017 Lynskey R250

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by rydabent
In professional racing, riders are experiencing sudden failure of their carbon frames. It was reported that the failure is so complete, and the frame usually shatters so completely that the frame can be sent back in a small box not much bigger than a box for the wheels. These high end bikes are called "carbon frames"...
Professional road racing? Reported by whom?
I watched a lot of the TDF this year (50%?) and I saw one broken bike (Contador's). There were a lot of crashes, and most times the guy got back on and rode away. Never did I see anything that resembled "shattered" or anything similar.
Old 07-28-14, 07:48 AM
MRT2

Bikes: 2012 Salsa Casseroll, 2009 Kona Blast

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1031 Post(s)
Liked 208 Times in 146 Posts
Originally Posted by pvillemasher
Professional road racing? Reported by whom?
I watched a lot of the TDF this year (50%?) and I saw one broken bike (Contador's). There were a lot of crashes, and most times the guy got back on and rode away. Never did I see anything that resembled "shattered" or anything similar.
True, but I would be curious how many complete bikes (wheels and components included) that started the Tour actually completed the TDF.
Old 07-28-14, 07:48 AM
Northwestrider

Bikes: Surly Long Haul Trucker, Gary Fisher Hoo Koo E Koo, Dahon Mu P 24 , Ritchey Breakaway Cross, Rodriguez Tandem, Wheeler MTB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
An interesting article, that makes it easier for me to stay with my heavier steel framed Surly. :-)
Old 07-28-14, 08:04 AM
Pibber

Bikes: cannondales 84 ST500; 87SR500; 95 CAAD 3 Silk Road 500; 99 CAAD 3 Frameset(project)

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
This one time, an older woman called my SR a "crackanfail", an allusion, I imagine, to the supposed weakness of aluminum. I laughed in her face, actually, and explained the bike had survived being hit by a car(sadly with me on it) and hadn't so much as been dented.

Yes, some alu frames have broken, much like some steel frames have as well.

I especially like the part where the doctor says the bikes "completely explode"......
Old 07-28-14, 08:11 AM
rebel1916

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 83 Times in 44 Posts
Technically, carbon doesn't explode. It asplodes.
Old 07-28-14, 08:22 AM
RPK79
Custom User Title

Bikes: Fuji Roubaix Pro & Quintana Roo Kilo

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2863 Post(s)
Liked 31 Times in 14 Posts
I heard they had some boy scouts at the back of the race sweeping up the carbon bits much like at a parade where they sweep up the horse droppings.
Old 07-28-14, 08:33 AM
howsteepisit

Bikes: Canyon Endurace SLX 8Di2

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 510 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 14 Posts
If Cf bikes sold to the public (non-racers) were in any way failing unexpectedly the CPSC and the civil court system would have or will eliminate the offending maker of CF bikes. OTOH, bikes used in competition are expected to be cutting edge and subject to some level of failure due to that. However, if the failure rate were excessive lawsuits would control that too. \\Note the above comments relate to the US market only, I don't know the liability laws of other countries.
Old 07-28-14, 08:54 AM
awfulwaffle 

Bikes: Franken-mountain bike, mid-90s Performance TR1000, 1990 Cannondale ST400

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I suppose that we had better stop using carbon composites in aircraft, too, given that they're made by a similar process using epoxy impregnated weaves. Forget the mechanical properties, epoxy is a polymer so it must lead to exploding frames!
Old 07-28-14, 09:46 AM
wnl256
Fred

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac Comp, Trek 4100, Specialized Allez Elite, Kickr Snap

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by MRT2
True, but I would be curious how many complete bikes (wheels and components included) that started the Tour actually completed the TDF.
Why? Do you plan on riding like they do in the Tour?

Frame failures in the Tour are representative of .... frame failures in the Tour. They might be representative of frame failures in other grand tour races, but they certainly don't reflect usage anywhere else, including and especially the vast majority of non-professional riders.
Old 07-28-14, 09:52 AM
pvillemasher

Bikes: 1989 Trek 400, 2000 Lemond Buenos Aires, 2013 GT Attack, 2017 Lynskey R250

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by MRT2
Then that data would need to be compared with past data from when steel bikes were used.
Old 07-28-14, 10:06 AM
Lone

Bikes: Pinarello Veneto

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Those Formula 1 cars are worth like a half Billion dollars. If I hadn't of started liking Formula 1, I would believe you.
Old 07-28-14, 10:30 AM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 2338 Post(s)
Liked 2,822 Times in 1,541 Posts
Carbon fiber frames are not plastic (inflammatory statement there imho) They are a composite material with fibers (carbon) in a matrix of epoxy. there is a log of design in areas like thickness for composite, fiber alignment, material mix for provide strength, stiffness, good ride, light weight. Proper construction uses tech like air bagging to ensure the minimum amount resign in the fibers.

The finished product can be as strong or light as designed.

That said the failure mode is quite different than it is for steel. The structural integrity depends on the whole, not individual parts. When a single area fails the overall strength radically reduced and the failure tends to be immediate and fast. Where the initial failure is make as differende also...if it is an area that is stressed, the overall reduction in structural integrity is fast.

as an imperfect example think of a pice of string...... if it is stretched tightly between two points and you nick it with a knife the reduction in string structure will cause the string to break, even if it was not cut all the way through.

There is plenty of documentation about carbon frames and forks failing and people getting bikes replaced under warranty

What does this mean practically?

Carbon is not going to blow up if you sit on it and ride it.

Carbon does take a little extra TLC

People with carbon frames, especially those that get used hard, should inspect them regularly for things like cracks, dent and large nicks

I would suggest the history of carbon has enough issues that you should only buy a carbon bike with a valid warranty, which pretty much means new

also to note comparing a bike to an airplane or even a fi car is not really valid....way different engineering issues

Personally I like steel, but that is more style than material

Old 07-28-14, 10:59 AM
-=(8)=-
♋ ☮♂ ☭ ☯

Bikes: Sngl Spd's, 70's- 80's vintage, D-tube Folder

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I built carbon fiber parts for race cars(below). I saw it from the mold to coming in after hitting something. To me, it's all about the guy mixing the resin. There are many variables involved in that to take into consideration. Get it right, its strong as iron ~ off just a little . . . Oh well, uh oh!!
I have mixed feelings about it. I don't know if I would want my bike to be made of it. I have a hard enough time with the bike I have that has a CF fork

Old 07-28-14, 11:11 AM
ItsJustMe
Señior Member

Bikes: Windsor Fens, Giant Seek 0 (2014, Alfine 8 + discs)

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 446 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
I know nothing about high end materials. Is CF really better than titanium? Seems like Ti would be stiffer.
Old 07-28-14, 11:17 AM
mconlonx

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 7148 Post(s)
Liked 134 Times in 92 Posts
Holy crap, Rydabent trolling hard outside the Helmet Thread...

I work in a Trek shop, so I suppose I would be on of those "mfg reps who wont admit who they are, and bike shop owners" except I am neither, don't own or ride a CF bike, have absolutely nothing invested in the CF issue.

There are no more warrantly claims for CF bikes than there are for metal bikes. Pro racers ride bikes harder than your average bear -- they'd be breaking metal frames at the same rate. And still, the vast majority of their bikes don't break.
Old 07-28-14, 11:25 AM
genec
genec

Bikes: custom built, sannino, beachbike, giant trance x2

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 13658 Post(s)
Liked 4,532 Times in 3,158 Posts
Originally Posted by squirtdad
Carbon fiber frames are not plastic (inflammatory statement there imho) They are a composite material with fibers (carbon) in a matrix of epoxy. there is a log of design in areas like thickness for composite, fiber alignment, material mix for provide strength, stiffness, good ride, light weight. Proper construction uses tech like air bagging to ensure the minimum amount resign in the fibers.

The finished product can be as strong or light as designed.

That said the failure mode is quite different than it is for steel. The structural integrity depends on the whole, not individual parts. When a single area fails the overall strength radically reduced and the failure tends to be immediate and fast. Where the initial failure is make as differende also...if it is an area that is stressed, the overall reduction in structural integrity is fast.

as an imperfect example think of a pice of string...... if it is stretched tightly between two points and you nick it with a knife the reduction in string structure will cause the string to break, even if it was not cut all the way through.

There is plenty of documentation about carbon frames and forks failing and people getting bikes replaced under warranty

What does this mean practically?

Carbon is not going to blow up if you sit on it and ride it.

Carbon does take a little extra TLC

People with carbon frames, especially those that get used hard, should inspect them regularly for things like cracks, dent and large nicks

I would suggest the history of carbon has enough issues that you should only buy a carbon bike with a valid warranty, which pretty much means new

also to note comparing a bike to an airplane or even a fi car is not really valid....way different engineering issues

Personally I like steel, but that is more style than material
By definition alone, CF bikes are indeed "plastic." Certainly all the resin systems I learned about in college came under the heading "plastics."

BTW there is a different definition for "plastic" (as in flexible) than for "plastics" (the materials).

Yeah, I know... semantic argument...
Old 07-28-14, 11:57 AM
spare_wheel

Bikes: NA

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by genec
By definition alone, CF bikes are indeed "plastic." Certainly all the resin systems I learned about in college came under the heading "plastics."

BTW there is a different definition for "plastic" (as in flexible) than for "plastics" (the materials).

Yeah, I know... semantic argument...
carbon fiber fabric is not a "plastic".
epoxy can be a "plastic".

a laminate made of carbon fiber and epoxy is a laminate, not a plastic.

i've been commuting on carbon fiber for 8 years and i love it. i will likely never buy a steel or aluminum bike again.
Likes For spare_wheel:
Old 07-28-14, 12:15 PM
B. Carfree

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 509 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by howsteepisit
If Cf bikes sold to the public (non-racers) were in any way failing unexpectedly the CPSC and the civil court system would have or will eliminate the offending maker of CF bikes. OTOH, bikes used in competition are expected to be cutting edge and subject to some level of failure due to that. However, if the failure rate were excessive lawsuits would control that too. \\Note the above comments relate to the US market only, I don't know the liability laws of other countries.
I thought the UCI mandated that bikes used in competition had to be available to the general public.

I agree that if CF bikes were failing at significantly higher rates than other materials then the CPSC and court system, as well as corporate bottom lines and consumer fears, would eliminate the problematic processes.
Old 07-28-14, 12:33 PM
Number400

Bikes: Cannondale Slate 105 and T2 tandem, 2008 Scott Addict R4, Raleigh SC drop bar tandem

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I believe that one of the main points of the NYT article that is missed here was that riders are reporting more injuries because of the way that carbon bikes fail (or don't fail) in a crash, not because they fail more often or unexpectedly. In a pile up, bent forks wheels and even top tubes were common and now, not so much. The fact that a wheel, fork and frame are all carbon and do not buckle or absorb impacts as well as metals is what is being blamed for throwing riders down into the pavement a lot harder than they would be on a bike that bends.

Not to worry, I am sure that manufacturers will soon be being putting foam crumple zones into bikes to absorb impacts better and making them safer for the Pros. This will filter down to our bikes too. After all, bikes unlike cars, are not designed to crash but in my opinion they should be.
Old 07-28-14, 01:13 PM
spare_wheel

Bikes: NA

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Number400
Not to worry, I am sure that manufacturers will soon be being putting foam crumple zones into bikes to absorb impacts better and making them safer for the Pros. This will filter down to our bikes too. After all, bikes unlike cars, are not designed to crash but in my opinion they should be.
thermoplastic and kevlar can make composites more impact resistant than thin metal tubing. this military technology is starting to appear in bike components.
Old 07-28-14, 01:52 PM
Coal Buster

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by spare_wheel
carbon fiber fabric is not a "plastic".
epoxy can be a "plastic".

a laminate made of carbon fiber and epoxy is a laminate, not a plastic.

i've been commuting on carbon fiber for 8 years and i love it. i will likely never buy a steel or aluminum bike again.
The carbon fiber epoxy mix is a plastic in the sense of the word meaning light weight and moldable, which it certainly is. It's not moldable once it sets but neither are thermoplastics. Made-of-Plastic is not a perjorative, although the author probably meant it that way, it just a word that fits. No big deal.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.