Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Are certain premiere bike brands simply faster?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Are certain premiere bike brands simply faster?

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-23, 09:35 AM
GhostRider62

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2333 Post(s)
Liked 2,097 Times in 1,314 Posts
The hour record has gone from ca. 51km to 56.792 km over the past 10 years.

There are independent aero tests for bikes and wheels. You just have to search for them. Or you can test your own gear. Hint: frames, wheels, helmets, and kit have gotten faster.

And pros don't even dope anymore
Likes For GhostRider62:
Old 03-13-23, 09:39 AM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4737 Post(s)
Liked 1,533 Times in 1,004 Posts
Originally Posted by RChung
Hmmm. Do you mean, overall, or net of equipment changes?
Net of equipment changes. I realize somewhat challenging of a question.
Old 03-13-23, 10:00 AM
RChung
Perceptual Dullard

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 919 Post(s)
Liked 1,156 Times in 494 Posts
Originally Posted by Sy Reene
Net of equipment changes. I realize somewhat challenging of a question.
Ugh. So, decades ago I studied what are called extreme value distributions and that has probably influenced my perspective on record performances and equipment improvements. I think it likely that an exceptional athlete from decades (or centuries, or millenia) ago would still be an exceptional athlete today, but that the population of near-exceptional athletes is larger, and we filter them into areas where their speed or strength are more easily observed than before. That is, I think training and nutrition are better, and equipment is certainly better, but I'm not so sure that mitochondria are different, or bone density, or oxygen transport. So the physiology is likely to be pretty much the same.
Likes For RChung:
Old 03-13-23, 10:21 AM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 3241 Post(s)
Liked 2,512 Times in 1,510 Posts
Ugh. So, decades ago I studied what are called extreme value distributions and that has probably influenced my perspective on record performances and equipment improvements. I think it likely that an exceptional athlete from decades (or centuries, or millenia) ago would still be an exceptional athlete today, but that the population of near-exceptional athletes is larger, and we filter them into areas where their speed or strength are more easily observed than before. That is, I think training and nutrition are better, and equipment is certainly better, but I'm not so sure that mitochondria are different, or bone density, or oxygen transport. So the physiology is likely to be pretty much the same.
This. If you could send an athlete through a time portal, he/she would have to grow up in that time period. His/her performance would be limited by the training methods, equipment, lifestyles, etc of whatever time period he/she goes to. Most every athlete that went back in time would have lower performance and the reverse for moving forward. That might/might not change their performance relative to their peers in whatever time period they end up in.

Last edited by seypat; 03-13-23 at 10:31 AM.
Old 03-13-23, 10:29 AM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 3241 Post(s)
Liked 2,512 Times in 1,510 Posts
The NCAA Indoor Track & Field Championships were this past weekend. Overall the depth of the competitors times/performances are getting better. Still plenty of records standing from as far back as the 80s, though. Plenty getting broken as well. The Distance Medlay Relay is an awesome event!

https://www.ncaa.com/live-updates/tr...rack-and-field

Last edited by seypat; 03-13-23 at 10:45 AM.
Old 03-13-23, 10:34 AM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

Bikes: Scott Addict R1, Felt Z1

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 3432 Post(s)
Liked 3,567 Times in 1,793 Posts
A big piece of that filter is a sports culture that selects, supports, and develops promising athletes from childhood onwards. Soviet East Germany is an obvious example. Also, Kenya's running culture.

Old 03-13-23, 11:02 AM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3956 Post(s)
Liked 7,304 Times in 2,949 Posts
Hmmm. If only someone had come up with a way to do that.
Yeah, someone should do that. It would make them rich beyond their wildest dreams.
Old 03-13-23, 11:54 AM
RChung
Perceptual Dullard

Originally Posted by tomato coupe
Yeah, someone should do that. It would make them rich beyond their wildest dreams.
I bet the demand for that kind of info would be high in the dozens of people, with tens of dollars at stake.
Likes For RChung:
Old 03-13-23, 12:30 PM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4415 Post(s)
Liked 4,868 Times in 3,013 Posts
Originally Posted by terrymorse
A big piece of that filter is a sports culture that selects, supports, and develops promising athletes from childhood onwards. Soviet East Germany is an obvious example. Also, Kenya's running culture.
British Cycling’s rise to prominence is a good example. They went from nowhere to World dominance in less than a decade.
Likes For PeteHski:
Old 03-13-23, 12:38 PM
prj71

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 2976 Post(s)
Liked 1,182 Times in 771 Posts
My brand of bike is faster than your brand of bike especially when I let Tadej Pogacar borrow it from me.
Likes For prj71:
Old 03-18-23, 09:30 AM
bruce19

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1743 Post(s)
Liked 1,281 Times in 740 Posts
There are many, many variables that make one bike "better' than another. Brand is not one of them.
Old 04-17-23, 07:30 PM
teejaywhy

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked 116 Times in 69 Posts
Just think how many more tournaments Tiger Woods might have won if he weren't hampered by those crappy Nike clubs.
Old 04-18-23, 11:22 AM
RChung
Perceptual Dullard

Originally Posted by teejaywhy
Just think how many more tournaments Tiger Woods might have won if he weren't hampered by those crappy Nike clubs.
Was that the brand of club his ex was using when she bashed in the windows of his car?
Likes For RChung:
Old 04-18-23, 01:50 PM
alcjphil

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1820 Post(s)
Liked 1,696 Times in 976 Posts
Considering the top-end road models that the pros race on, are certain brands much better than others?

Pro Dirk De Wolf thinks so. He said:

"If Tadej Pogacar [who rides on Colnago] gets on a bicycle from Jumbo-Visma, Ineos or Soudal-Quick Step tomorrow, the rest will have no chance. On those bikes he will pedal another 2km/h faster...[Colnago] undoubtedly have a good product there, but it is like a Ferrari and a Porsche: there is still a difference between the brands."

Tom Boonen said:

"Colnago did indeed have a dip a while ago. It remains a bit of an old-school bike now and they haven't quite mastered the aero thing yet although they are now catching up."

Ref: Tadej Pogacar would be "another 2km/h faster" on Jumbo-Visma, Ineos or Soudal-Quick Step team bikes, says classics winner
Going back to the OP: How is it that Tadej Pogacar is ripping up the roads this year on an inferior bike? Answer: his bike is not what might hold him back, it is as good as anything out there
Likes For alcjphil:
Old 04-19-23, 04:04 AM
PeteHski

Originally Posted by alcjphil
Going back to the OP: How is it that Tadej Pogacar is ripping up the roads this year on an inferior bike? Answer: his bike is not what might hold him back, it is as good as anything out there
All you can really say is that it's good enough for him to win races on. Whatever marginal gains other teams bikes may or may not have are not significant enough to make Pog uncompetitive.

I think this principle applies to all levels of racing. If you are on any modern bike from any premium brand, it will be good enough to be competitive.
Likes For PeteHski:
Old 04-19-23, 10:47 AM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

Bikes: Scott Addict R1, Felt Z1

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 3432 Post(s)
Liked 3,567 Times in 1,793 Posts
Originally Posted by PeteHski
If you are on any modern bike from any premium brand, it will be good enough to be competitive.
Probably true. An exception might be if your modern bike is not aero.

Old 04-19-23, 10:56 AM
blacknbluebikes 

Bikes: two blacks, a blue and a white.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 445 Post(s)
Liked 847 Times in 410 Posts
It ain't the bike holding me back. I'm quite sure that Peter Sagan on a child's bike would still lap me.
Old 04-20-23, 03:34 AM
PeteHski

Probably true. An exception might be if your modern bike is not aero.
I meant like-for-like bikes across the brands. So for example Spesh Tarmac vs Trek Madone vs Canyon Aeroroad vs Cervelo S5 vs Factor Ostro etc. Same goes when comparing dedicated climbing bikes or endurance bikes across the big brands. All of them are competitive in their field and there is no stand-out bike that would give you a significant advantage, assuming it fits properly and is the appropriate type of bike for the event. Turning up to a flat race on a non-aero climbing bike is going to put you at a slight disadvantage to someone on an aero bike.

To put it another way, modern engineering is pretty consistent across major manufacturers and there are not many dogs on the market.
Likes For PeteHski:
Old 04-20-23, 05:50 AM
wheelreason

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 503 Post(s)
Liked 634 Times in 374 Posts
There are no faster or slower bikes, just faster and slower riders.
Likes For wheelreason: