Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Which tyre for racing?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Which tyre for racing?

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-23, 01:43 PM
georges1
Steel is real

Bikes: 1992Giant Tourer,1992MeridaAlbon,1996Scapin,1998KonaKilaueua,1993Peugeot Prestige,1991RaleighTeamZ(to be upgraded),1998 Jamis Dragon,1992CTWallis(to be built),1998VettaTeam(to be built),1995Coppi(to be built),1993Grandis(to be built)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 671 Post(s)
Liked 979 Times in 650 Posts
Grand Prix 4 Seasons for me
Likes For georges1:
Old 05-01-23, 01:02 AM
tempocyclist

Bikes: 2002 Trek 5200 (US POSTAL), 2020 Canyon Aeroad SL

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 314 Post(s)
Liked 683 Times in 328 Posts
Originally Posted by georges1
Grand Prix 4 Seasons for me
For racing? 🤔 That's basically giving away watts!
Old 05-04-23, 08:34 AM
ussprinceton

Bikes: '18 S-Works Tarmac (white letters), '18 S-Works Tarmac (black letters), '22 Allez Elite, '16 Emonda SL, '03 fuel100, '14 adventure3

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked 82 Times in 66 Posts
Gp5000 tl
Old 05-04-23, 09:23 AM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

Bikes: Scott Addict R1, Felt Z1

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 3432 Post(s)
Liked 3,567 Times in 1,793 Posts
Originally Posted by ussprinceton
Gp5000 tl
I believe the TL has been discontinued, replaced with the TR.

Old 05-04-23, 11:53 AM
Psimet2001 
I eat carbide.

Bikes: Lots. Van Dessel and Squid Dealer

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1325 Post(s)
Liked 1,306 Times in 560 Posts
Continentals are popular. They also ride like bricks. So many people just can't tell the difference between that and riding on a racing tire. Riding Continentals usually happens because someone went to the internet and they told them to ride it, they read some pseudo-study that told them to ride them, they bought them at a discount, or were handed them by their team. They're adequate in the same way that a small cross functional vehicle is adequate for most people's needs. They get the job done but really aren't purpose built/focused.

Tubeless is stupid for racing (I will preface this with the disclaimer 'in the US'). We only have crits. Crits have free-laps. Tubular and even clincher with latex tube give you a much better road feel. Running with hooked rims is safer in racing. Running tubular is safest but no one really cares anymore.

If you just have a tendency to get a lot of flats and you are training and racing on the same set then sure...go tubeless. If you don't get a lot of flats then seriously consider riding a purpose built racing tire that "can" be durable enough for training as well with latex innertubes.

Pirelli is a good combination of both. You get less life out of the P Zero Race (TLR - or whatever designation is being used now for tubeless) but they handle like a race tire and feel like a race tire. Purely a race tire only I would go to Vittoria. if willing to go tubular I would look at Veloflex.

If you have to have Conti then you'll have a good training tire that can get through races.

This Audience is the general road riding forum. Few in here actually race. Some "have" raced. Most are going off what they read others say or what they think they would like to have in a race...if they were to ever actually try it (which they should).

At the end of the day racing is better than not racing and you eventually have to run what you brung so it will seldom actually matter but i generally adhere to the idea of riding really nice purpose built racing stuff and I usually advise racers to race what they train on so there aren't surprises on race day. the only real tradeoffs are spending more as it all wears out faster.

Old 05-04-23, 12:03 PM
ctak

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Liked 264 Times in 146 Posts
Originally Posted by Psimet2001
Continentals are popular. They also ride like bricks.

Pirelli is a good combination of both. You get less life out of the P Zero Race (TLR - or whatever designation is being used now for tubeless) but they handle like a race tire and feel like a race tire. Purely a race tire only I would go to Vittoria. if willing to go tubular I would look at Veloflex.
I've raced crits on Corsa Speeds and GP5000s, both set up with Vittoria latex. Never noticed a difference, other than the Corsas sounded a bit louder.

100% agree on your other points.
Old 05-04-23, 12:07 PM
Psimet2001 
I eat carbide.

Bikes: Lots. Van Dessel and Squid Dealer

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1325 Post(s)
Liked 1,306 Times in 560 Posts
Originally Posted by ctak
I've raced crits on Corsa Speeds and GP5000s, both set up with Vittoria latex. Never noticed a difference, other than the Corsas sounded a bit louder.

100% agree on your other points.
Yeah - many riders aren't tuned into the differences. It's akin to how many say that Trek's have a muted ride where other race frames are more active and alive under the rider. ....and of their lineup the GP5000's are one of the better actual race tires they have produced.

Old 05-04-23, 12:25 PM
cyclezen
OM boy

Bikes: a bunch

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 517 Post(s)
Liked 646 Times in 438 Posts
Haven't raced in a few years, but still familiar with the 'feel' of it all, confirmed most every group ride where it mostly much younger racers... LOL!
The difference is a comfy warmup, until someone decides the hammer must go down! LOL! No team tactics, just liek the old days, every rider for themselves.
I have been using Rubino Pro primarily these past few years, and have been using the RideNow and Swalbe aerothan TPUs with them.
At my 67 Kg , I find 5 BAR / 72 psi front and a bit over 5 BAR / 78 psi gives a nice 'race' feel while still giving good compliance on rough roads.
As for other tires, can;t say. I went to the Rubinos, 2 yrs back, after finally going thru my stock of Conti GP4000 and Vittoria TriComps...
I still have 2 Rubinos remaining in my supply, after which I will have to decide what's next... I prolly try a variety, just cause...
Ride On
Yuri