Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Drop your heels!

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Drop your heels!

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-23, 05:36 AM
timtak

Bikes: Trek Madone 5.2 SL 2007, Look KG386, R022 Re-framed Azzurri Primo, Felt Z5, Trek F7.3 FX

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 404 Post(s)
Liked 85 Times in 73 Posts
Originally Posted by PeteHski
Is this "trend" even real? I appear to have missed it.
I have heard others, such as Carbonfibreboy opine in a similar way but perhaps we, or at least I am wrong.

At least we can agree, I think, that as per the Hogg article you quote, thank you, that there is more than one style
https://www.stevehoggbikefitting.com...-what-is-best/

I am enjoying "dropping my heels" less because it is fast, but rather because it gives more of my muscles (particularly those in my "core" or bottom) a good workout.

Hogg compares Anquetil, Merckx and Hinault and finds that while their foot angle is toe down, heel down and "joe average" they all won five (? or several) tours so it is all good and he may well, very likely be right.

Returning to the first point however, has there been a trend towards a toe down style?

It seems to me that there has been a change in pedalling style but it is not captured by foot angle.

It seems to me that "bunched up at the back" or hip angle is more descriptive of the change that seems to have occurred. Merckx and Anquetil had very different foot angles but I think that they both had an un-open (acute, "bunched up at the back") hip angle. In that sense, both of them (I am not sure about Hinault) had a similar, now non prevalent style.

I associate their styles with heel dropping (the topic of this thread) even though Anquetil did not drop his heels, because, I think that both Merckz and Anquentil used their core/butt muscles more in a push forwards push (pull?) back style whereas today, irrespective of foot angle, there may be a tendency to use an open hip angle, far less use of ones butt muscles, and a sort of superman, time trial, sprinting on the bike style of pedalling.

Even though Anquetil's toes were pointing down, I think he was "bunched up at the back," pushing forwards and pushing? pulling? or trebucheting backwards using his glutes a lot.

So rather than' heel drop' to 'toe drop', I think that there may have been a 21st century tendency to sprint on the bike, using an open hip angle, and predominantly quads, rather than a closed hip angle and quads glutes, quads glutes.
Old 04-18-23, 07:01 AM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 4451 Post(s)
Liked 4,911 Times in 3,041 Posts
Probably the best way to confirm any positional trends is to look at the evolution of road bike frame geometry. Not something I've really looked at in detail. Here in the UK, several experienced fitters have commented that many performance riders have a tendency to set their saddle too high (which may well force them into a more toe-down pedalling style). However, it is not clear how long this has been a trend since professional bike fits are a relatively new thing. Less saddle setback also appears to be a recent trend over the last few years, with more race bikes having zero-offset posts and relatively short-nosed saddles. But not all the pros are following that particular trend.
Likes For PeteHski:
Old 04-19-23, 01:01 AM
timtak

Bikes: Trek Madone 5.2 SL 2007, Look KG386, R022 Re-framed Azzurri Primo, Felt Z5, Trek F7.3 FX

Probably the best way to confirm any positional trends is to look at the evolution of road bike frame geometry. .....Less saddle setback also appears to be a recent trend over the last few years, with more race bikes having zero-offset posts and relatively short-nosed saddles. But not all the pros are following that particular trend.
I am not all that sure about the trend either, and I am sure that "all pros" are NOT using the more forward offset, sprint-like, time-trial-like, quad-centred, "toe down" (with provisos) style. Tom, Pidcock ankles even on downhills.

But please consider the style that Terry is saying is physiological, and I thought so too, for the same reasons as Terry outlines.

Originally Posted by terrymorse
Interesting to read about the reduced saddle setback trend (although there is a UCI 5cm minimum setback). Maybe because racers are using more aero positions on their road bikes?

I have for many years used a smaller than regular setback, as I felt it harder to put force into the top of the pedal stroke from "the back seat".

I guess there's some physiology to support the shorter setback idea, as it makes the hip angle wider, and anyone who has done leg presses knows it's hardest to produce force when your knees are closest to your chest.

The reason being it is difficult to push down with your knees below your chest.

But the point of this thread is to point out there is another way to be physiological, and that is to pedal "from the back seat" by pushing forwards, and give up pushing before you get to the bottom of the stroke, and then use your glutes to bring the pedals back past the nadir;

The trick to the glute portion, is to put the base of your femur on the saddle (!!!) and catapult your feet backwards, (as if your glutes are the weight of an upside down trebuchet).

To push forwards (and only forwards NOT down from your chest) it helps but it is not essential to drop your heels. Even if you don't drop your heels below level you will feel as though you have dropped them compared to the (my previous and) Terry Morse style above.

To get a rigorous forward push you can:
1) Rotate your hips forwards so that your whole leg and lower body, as if sitting on a recumbent but then you have a rounded back and it is difficult to get low.
2) Use ankling to put an acute angle between your foot and your shin and push your foot forwards at the top of the pedal cycle, and then loading it up to the acute angle again on the glute/bottom part of the stroke.
3) There are some cyclists such as Anquetil who seem to be kicking forwards using dropped toes, even though they are pedalling "from the back seat" ("Bunched up at the back").

Some cyclists are heel dropped all the way, and others are flat all the way around the pedal cycle.

So there are lots of variations but I think that forward with open hips using quads VS "back seat" with tight hips using quads AND glutes is the main dimension of this "trend" (if it is a trend) or difference in style, rather than foot angle.

Last edited by timtak; 04-19-23 at 02:11 AM. Reason: added the trebuchet again
Old 04-20-23, 10:49 PM
Doge

Bikes: 1979 Raleigh Team 753

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3377 Post(s)
Liked 371 Times in 253 Posts
Originally Posted by ryan_rides
This is something I struggle with. Not sure why but I have to actively think about dropping my heels throughout my pedal strokes. I usually don’t do it. I have a bike fit. My bike is comfortable to me. I just know that you’re supposed to drop your heels and recently a rider last Saturday told me that I should drop my heels while riding. Is there a way to train myself to change my pedal strokes so that it becomes natural?
David Grills was into that low '80s. As a job I spent a lot of time on pedal stroke, spinning, form.

I think little matters.
Old 05-04-23, 05:06 PM
timtak

Another thing I am finding about pedalling from the back seat is that I can use cheaper cycling shoes.

I usually use carbon soled shoes made by Shimano or Sidi. They can be had second hand for about 50 USD on the Japanese version of ebay. Most of my Shimano cycling shoes are all very old and falling apart. I also bought some Giro shoes with Dupont plastic and nylon fibre soles. In the past when I was using the sprint-style toe down pedalling, non-carbon-soled shoes, including my Giro shoes with their non-carbon Dupont nylon sole, felt a bit soft. So I did not use them.

Now that I am pedalling "from the back seat", applying force not just in a sprint-like stomp but pushing and pulling, at times in a plane parallel to my shoe soles using the cleat, for far larger part of the pedal cycle, I do not need to use a super stiff sole. The Dupont nylon composite sole of my cheaper Giro shoes seems to be okay.

So switch to old school, Frenchy, bunched-up-at-the-bak, or pedal from your back seat because:
It may be more aero
It hurts the soles of your feet and knees less.
It does not require a timtaked / funny bike super long stem to get aero, or at least more aero than contemporary aero-battleship-bikes.
It exercises your butt muscles which if of considerable importance to old men.
It applies pressure for a longer part of the pedal cycle (better on mud, but there may be other advantages)
It uses more muscles (quads and glutes) for possibly greater endurance
Carbon soled shoe shoes are less useful.

Last edited by timtak; 05-04-23 at 05:41 PM.
Old 05-05-23, 12:21 AM
cyclezen
OM boy

Bikes: a bunch

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 531 Post(s)
Liked 650 Times in 442 Posts
Originally Posted by timtak
I would not go so far as to say "ridiculous," but overall I agree with all that you say, including that there is a "general" tendency for the style of successful riders to influence the way that other people ride, for better or for worse.

At the same time, there has I think been a recent tendency to ride with toes down due to the fact that not one but many pro cyclists ride in that way -- it seems to be the trend.

While a trend may be a better indicator that the style of an individual both may be optimised for the conditions pertaining to the group of riders, or individual rider, that uses the style, and may not be appropriate to the person who is informed (copies) it.
Toes down, 'Digging' may be more of a factor of the move to smaller frame sizes, combined with more and longer periods of high stress/attack mode.
It always been clear that when the effort becomes extreme, a rider tends to move forward on the saddle (when the general setup is what has been used for decades prior) - 'On The Rivet' is something most racers feel and expect, in every race. Those races with high level of this type of riding force a different riding and pedaling style than what the setup might be for.
I personally remember many races where the stress/attack level was so high, I estimate I spent 50 to 60% of my race time 'on the rivet'.
When you move forward, either from 'on the rivet' necessity or by setup design, your pedal stroke must change. More forward and the dorsiflexion angle of the ankle becomes more extreme. Possibly at the extremes of what your ankle flexion will allow (especially true for those with very high arch/instep, like me).
How does one compensate? Toe down pedaling... along with that requires a higher saddle extension... which also means less ability to slide back on the saddle to 'push' the pedal earlier in the stroke. 'Forward' completely changes the form of the pedal stroke and the engagement of the muscles/groups.
Now add in the 'trend' towards smaller frame sizing for racers/pros. That automatically puts you further forward, because the SP is steeper. To not be cramped, the stem is lengthened.
And again, you're well forward from a position more commonly used 10-20 yrs ago.
Then add in the short saddle - for further accenting the forward position.
Quite a few of the pros, especially all-rounders and climbers, might be on smaller frames but also clearly more 'centered' on their bikes. The very forward position seems more common with the younger riders/pros. Although Evenepoel appears more centered. My observations of Poj - not sure - we usually see him, when outside of the peleton and not climbing, he's in an attack mode. And with not being able to see the longer versions of the recent classics, it's hard to determine how he's setup.
Anyway, a bunch more to this...
Ride On
Yuri
Likes For cyclezen:
Old 05-05-23, 03:46 AM
PeteHski

Now that I am pedalling "from the back seat", applying force not just in a sprint-like stomp but pushing and pulling, at times in a plane parallel to my shoe soles using the cleat, for far larger part of the pedal cycle, I do not need to use a super stiff sole. The Dupont nylon composite sole of my cheaper Giro shoes seems to be okay.
Actively pulling up on the cleat is almost universally considered a bad idea by anyone who has actually studied it. Although there is a stubborn myth around the concept that will refuse to die. But basically your hamstrings are not designed to be pulling up on anything and are relatively weak in doing so. I'm sure you can leg press multiple times the weight you can leg curl.

But if what you are doing is making you faster and not causing any problems then it's all good.
Likes For PeteHski:
Old 05-05-23, 05:19 AM
timtak

Actively pulling up on the cleat is almost universally considered a bad idea by anyone who has actually studied it. Although there is a stubborn myth around the concept that will refuse to die. But basically your hamstrings are not designed to be pulling up on anything and are relatively weak in doing so. I'm sure you can leg press multiple times the weight you can leg curl.

But if what you are doing is making you faster and not causing any problems then it's all good.
I am sorry I gave the impression that I pull up on the cleat. I meant to say that I am pulling, at times in a plane parallel to my shoe soles using the cleat,

Old 05-05-23, 10:46 AM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

Bikes: Scott Addict R1, Felt Z1

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 3467 Post(s)
Liked 3,608 Times in 1,810 Posts
On the other hand, there appears to a misconception that hamstrings don't contribute much to crank torque. That's not the case. They are doing considerable work:

Source: da Silva JC, Tarassova O, Ekblom MM, Andersson E, Rönquist G, Arndt A. Quadriceps and hamstring muscle activity during cycling as measured with intramuscular electromyography. Eur J Appl Physiol. 2016 Sep

This graph in that article is pertinent to the thread's "Drop your heels!" title. This is the ankle joint angle during the pedaling cycle:

Notice that the subjects were not "dropping their heels", but they were flexing slightly at the top of the pedal stroke, and extending at the bottom. A very mild version of "ankling".

Last edited by terrymorse; 05-05-23 at 10:53 AM.
Old 05-05-23, 10:55 AM
PeteHski

On the other hand, there appears to a misconception that hamstrings don't contribute much to crank torque. That's not the case. They are doing considerable work:

Source: da Silva JC, Tarassova O, Ekblom MM, Andersson E, Rönquist G, Arndt A. Quadriceps and hamstring muscle activity during cycling as measured with intramuscular electromyography. Eur J Appl Physiol. 2016 Sep
The hamstrings obviously have to function, but what is their actual percentage contribution to crank torque? Single leg drills really show up their relative weakness.
Old 05-05-23, 11:09 AM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

The hamstrings obviously have to function, but what is their actual percentage contribution to crank torque? Single leg drills really show up their relative weakness.
The study I cited above doesn't show actual force contribution by muscle, only their activation rates.

I suggest that single leg drills don't tell us much about hamstring weakness, as those muscles really aren't that weak. Single leg drills make it obvious how low the pedal torque is in the fourth quadrant of the pedal cycle, when there is very little activation of any muscle.

Likes For terrymorse:
Old 05-05-23, 11:25 AM
PeteHski

The study I cited above doesn't show actual force contribution by muscle, only their activation rates.

I suggest that single leg drills don't tell us much about hamstring weakness, as those muscles really aren't that weak. Single leg drills make it obvious how low the pedal torque is in the fourth quadrant of the pedal cycle, when there is very little activation of any muscle.
The Power generation actually looks more like this (see link below) with often a negative torque on the upstroke as your leg struggles to even lift its own weight.

https://www.cyclinganalytics.com/blo...dal-smoothness

There was a study of over a hundred pro cyclists and none of them produced any significant torque on the upstroke at normal cadence riding at tempo or higher power. Pros are also better at unweighting their leg on the upstroke to minimise the negative torque in that diagram I linked above.

Here’s a link referencing this study and more recent data.

https://bythlon.com/pages/the-myth-of-the-upstroke

Last edited by PeteHski; 05-05-23 at 11:35 AM.
Likes For PeteHski:
Old 05-05-23, 11:35 AM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

The Power generation actually looks more like this (see link below) with often a negative torque on the upstroke as your leg struggles to even lift its own weight.
Yep. And muscle activation graph shows that it's actually the quads that are trying to lift the leg (hip flexion) in the last quadrant of the pedal stroke. The hamstrings aren't working at all at that point.

Old 05-05-23, 11:48 AM
PeteHski

Yep. And muscle activation graph shows that it's actually the quads that are trying to lift the leg (hip flexion) in the last quadrant of the pedal stroke. The hamstrings aren't working at all at that point.
Maybe I over-simplified muscles used on downstroke and upstroke, but it is clear that we are unable to generate torque on the upstroke with whatever combination of muscles activated. All the torque is generated on the downstroke, with often a negative torque on the upstroke due to the weight of our legs
Likes For PeteHski:
Old 05-05-23, 01:03 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10463 Post(s)
Liked 11,960 Times in 6,123 Posts
Maybe I over-simplified muscles used on downstroke and upstroke, but it is clear that we are unable to generate torque on the upstroke with whatever combination of muscles activated. All the torque is generated on the downstroke, with often a negative torque on the upstroke due to the weight of our legs
Far be it from me to agree with Timtak, but he is talking about isn't pulling up, but rather pulling THROUGH the bottom of the stroke, the 'scraping mud off your shoe' motion that some suggest for rounding out the pedal stroke. I practice this sometimes, especially when I'm trying to push high power at high cadence, like on this one quarter mile, 2% gradient on most of my rides, or when just trying to do high cadence drills without bouncing out of the saddle. I can hit 140 (briefly) by concentrating on pulling through the bottom and pushing through the top of the stroke.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Old 05-05-23, 03:26 PM
Bob Ross
your god hates me

Bikes: 2016 Richard Sachs, 2010 Carl Strong, 2006 Cannondale Synapse

Quoted: 1262 Post(s)
Liked 1,298 Times in 718 Posts
Originally Posted by genejockey
I can hit 140 (briefly) by concentrating on pulling through the bottom and pushing through the top of the stroke.
There's a visual exercise I sometimes practice when doing high-cadence drills and I start to bounce: I imagine that instead of pedaling in circles, I'm only kicking my feet forward and backwards, almost like the footboards on an elliptical trainer. I suspect I'm physically achieving exactly what you describe, as it allows me to maintain a high cadence without bouncing in the saddle.

But it would never occur to me to try to ride for any great distance -- or put out any great power -- using this technique.
Old 05-07-23, 07:47 AM
ussprinceton

Bikes: '18 S-Works Tarmac (white letters), '18 S-Works Tarmac (black letters), '22 Allez Elite, '16 Emonda SL, '03 fuel100, '14 adventure3

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked 82 Times in 66 Posts
these heels got dropped from the Division 1 NCAA tournament. They didn't even make it to the NIT. These HEELS really got dropped

Likes For ussprinceton:
Old 05-07-23, 10:27 AM
PeteHski

Far be it from me to agree with Timtak, but he is talking about isn't pulling up, but rather pulling THROUGH the bottom of the stroke, the 'scraping mud off your shoe' motion that some suggest for rounding out the pedal stroke. I practice this sometimes, especially when I'm trying to push high power at high cadence, like on this one quarter mile, 2% gradient on most of my rides, or when just trying to do high cadence drills without bouncing out of the saddle. I can hit 140 (briefly) by concentrating on pulling through the bottom and pushing through the top of the stroke.
Yes it was my misunderstanding of his earlier post that led to the discussion about pulling. I am familiar with the mud scraping analogy and I find it moderately useful for cadence drills. When the power is higher I just go with my instinct, which appears to be the contemporary advice i.e. your brain works out the most efficient way to pedal if you do lots of it. Whether or not that involves heel drop is very individual. Pedalling should be an unconscious action, especially at higher power levels.
Likes For PeteHski:
Old 05-08-23, 06:14 AM
timtak

Far be it from me to agree with Timtak
Why ever not?

but he is talking about isn't pulling up, but rather pulling THROUGH the bottom of the stroke, the 'scraping mud off your shoe' motion that some suggest for rounding out the pedal stroke.
Thank you. You understand me. I am not sure why others did not. I did not mention "pulling up" but wrote

Now that I am pedalling "from the back seat", applying force not just in a sprint-like stomp but pushing and pulling, at times in a plane parallel to my shoe soles using the cleat,

I practice this sometimes, especially when I'm trying to push high power at high cadence, like on this one quarter mile, 2% gradient on most of my rides, or when just trying to do high cadence drills without bouncing out of the saddle. I can hit 140 (briefly) by concentrating on pulling through the bottom and pushing through the top of the stroke.
Do you use trebucheting/catapulting?

I find trebucheting/catapulting with my femur supported by and see-saw rocking on the saddle, to be the arcane, missing link that allows me to cycle like Frenches of old.

Last edited by timtak; 05-08-23 at 06:29 AM.
Old 05-08-23, 08:04 AM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 3966 Post(s)
Liked 7,375 Times in 2,970 Posts
Sure, when storming a castle.
Old 05-08-23, 08:21 AM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10463 Post(s)
Liked 11,960 Times in 6,123 Posts
Why ever not?

Thank you. You understand me. I am not sure why others did not. I did not mention "pulling up" but wrote

I find trebucheting/catapulting with my femur supported by and see-saw rocking on the saddle, to be the arcane, missing link that allows me to cycle like Frenches of old.
No. I am quite inflexible, so bending at the waist and reaching out for the bars is not in the cards.. I roll my pelvis forward and keep a straight back.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Old 05-09-23, 02:03 AM
PeteHski

The studies of pedalling technique I cited earlier were mainly related to pro cyclists, with references to how lesser cyclists compare.

Last edited by Hermes; 05-14-23 at 05:16 PM. Reason: Clean up
Likes For PeteHski:
Old 05-13-23, 08:33 PM
ctak

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Liked 264 Times in 146 Posts
Bike fitter Neill Stanbury (studied under Hogg) has some excellent YT videos on this topic, and frequently comments on quad overload. Achieving proper balance depends on many factors, but of course glutes and hams are critical to power generation.

https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...neill+stanbury
Old 05-14-23, 05:19 PM
Hermes
Version 7.0

Bikes: Too Many

Mentioned: 297 Post(s)
Quoted: 1343 Post(s)
Liked 2,484 Times in 1,459 Posts
Moderation note: Do not troll other members. If you have some value to add on pedaling technique, add it. Otherwise, find a thread that is more to your liking.
Likes For Hermes:
Old 05-15-23, 05:32 AM
timtak

Originally Posted by ctak
Bike fitter Neill Stanbury (studied under Hogg) has some excellent YT videos on this topic, and frequently comments on quad overload. Achieving proper balance depends on many factors, but of course glutes and hams are critical to power generation.

https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...neill+stanbury
What I find, and have found, strange for quite a long time (20 years) is why there is so much

chest parachute (like a drag racer) when people like Eddie

And myself on a good day, are presenting far less of a (big compared to forearm) surface area to the oncoming wind. I realise that quite a lot of folks can't get into Eddy's position but the lady in this video can. I don't understand why she does not.

It makes me think that this "fitter" is really bad. Why doesn't he show her how to get low like Eddy?

Tim

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.