Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Anyone resort to pain relievers while riding?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Anyone resort to pain relievers while riding?

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-24, 12:10 AM
Yan 

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1963 Post(s)
Liked 647 Times in 443 Posts
I've taken ibuprofen during tours, but not for a one day ride. But if I was riding a double century like you, then hell yeah I would.
Old 03-05-24, 09:31 AM
WaveyGravey

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Liked 128 Times in 88 Posts
As for over-the-counter medicines I take an occasional Aleve with good results. Also, a prescription medicine called Meloxicam that works wonders but is not good to take over a prolonged period.
Old 03-05-24, 12:48 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3889 Post(s)
Liked 1,938 Times in 1,383 Posts
Randonneurs say no NSAIDS during the ride. Too often they mask problems which should be show-stoppers, leading to real injury. Injuries are the bane of the athletic life. Plus inflammation is a part of healing, that's why we have inflammation. If it weren't necessary, it wouldn't happen. DNA is almost always right. I ride with people who take NSAIDs before every ride. IMO for sure that's a bad idea.

I hadn't thought about inflammation having a role in heart disease however. Makes sense. Maybe that's the reason that those of us who hit it the hardest are also those at risk for heart disease, counterintuitively. Would the recommendation then be to take it after a hard ride? More positives than negatives? For sure, heart damage is a bad thing.
Old 03-05-24, 01:09 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

For instance: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC8294842/ and many similar links.
Old 03-05-24, 01:27 PM
Bob Ross
your god hates me

Bikes: 2016 Richard Sachs, 2010 Carl Strong, 2006 Cannondale Synapse

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1254 Post(s)
Liked 1,286 Times in 710 Posts
I've never taken any pain relievers pre-emptively -- i.e., before the ride -- only after, and only if necessary.

However, I was recently gifted a tube of Voltaren pain relief gel, and started wondering if applying that to my chronically-crunchy, one-epic-ride-away-from-requiring-a-TKR knees before starting a ride might work prophylactically. Anyone ever use this stuff? and if so, did you apply it before going for a ride?
Old 03-05-24, 01:31 PM
10 Wheels
Galveston County Texas

Bikes: 02 GTO, 2011 Magnum

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1350 Post(s)
Liked 1,245 Times in 623 Posts
Did most of my many miles with as Collapsed Herniated Disc at L4/L5, using Genaric Aleve.
First Year at the 9,000 mile mark.
Ended the First Year with 11,200 miles.

66 years old

Last edited by 10 Wheels; 03-05-24 at 08:18 PM.
Likes For 10 Wheels:
Old 03-05-24, 01:38 PM
WaveyGravey

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Liked 128 Times in 88 Posts
Originally Posted by Bob Ross
I've never taken any pain relievers pre-emptively -- i.e., before the ride -- only after, and only if necessary.

However, I was recently gifted a tube of Voltaren pain relief gel, and started wondering if applying that to my chronically-crunchy, one-epic-ride-away-from-requiring-a-TKR knees before starting a ride might work prophylactically. Anyone ever use this stuff? and if so, did you apply it before going for a ride?
I have used this stuff as recommended by a doctor. Quite honestly, I did not feel or notice any difference. Also, another product recommended by doctors is BLUE-EMU cream. Again, did not notice a difference. All applied to an aching joint.
Likes For WaveyGravey:
Old 03-06-24, 07:20 PM
Kabuki12

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 874 Post(s)
Liked 2,291 Times in 1,280 Posts
The thing to remember is that some of these anti inflamatories can cause blood thinning and that could be a problem if you are in an accident or get cut or road rash.
Likes For Kabuki12:
Old 03-06-24, 07:23 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Originally Posted by MoAlpha
Yeah, that's actually familiar and makes sense. I seem to remember the explanations I've seen centering on the response of the contractile and conduction systems of the heart to mechanical stresses. However, many distinctions like this ultimately turn out to be meaningless.
I'm working on developing more on this issue with my cyclist and recovered Afibber PCP. If we get anywhere, I'll expand it to my cardiology community. If that comes to anything, I'll post somewhere on BF, probably Fifty Plus. So far, it's obvious that there's a causative connection between inflammation and CVD. The electrical side is iffier because cause has been little studied..
Old 03-06-24, 07:39 PM
howsteepisit

Bikes: Canyon Endurace SLX 8Di2

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 510 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 14 Posts
"Shut up legs" is all the meds I need.
Old 03-08-24, 08:01 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Originally Posted by MoAlpha
Yeah, that's actually familiar and makes sense. I seem to remember the explanations I've seen centering on the response of the contractile and conduction systems of the heart to mechanical stresses. However, many distinctions like this ultimately turn out to be meaningless.
Inflammation seems to power both electrical and CVD heart issues. I've been googling all over the place, following threads, wondering if there was a way to reduce coronary inflammation and stop this stuff from progressing. The general opinion seems to be that NSAIDs are a bad thing if you have CVD or electrical problems. There's a nice study of a new drug which reduces coronary inflammation, but costs a fortune. I'm taking Repatha to reduce cholesterol because I can't tolerate statins, and it turns out that Repatha also knocks down inflammatory cytokines and IL factors. Seems like that's the best I can do toward preserving my heart. My understanding is that moderate aerobic exercise reduces inflammation while hard aerobics increases it. Which kind of explains why those of us who've been competitive as we've aged have more problems than most. Repatha is also expensive but my insurance cuts it down to ~$100/month which is totally worth it for me.

Any ideas?
Old 03-09-24, 12:39 AM
diphthong
velo-dilettante

Bikes: 85 pinarello treviso steel, 88 nishiki olympic steel. 95 look kg 131 carbon, 11 trek madone 5.2 carbon

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1628 Post(s)
Liked 3,114 Times in 1,683 Posts
never...now if we are talking beer...that's an entirely different story...