Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Worst Mechanical Failure you've had on a ride

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Worst Mechanical Failure you've had on a ride

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-15, 01:05 PM
HAMMER MAN
Semper Fidelis

Bikes: Tiemeyer Road Bike & Ridley Domicles

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Easton carbon seatpost broke in half about 10 miles out on a ride. Basically i had to stand and pedal 10 miles back home. That was pretty tiring. since then, all of my bikes now have tompson seatpost on them
Old 05-05-15, 01:29 PM
Jiggle

Bikes: BH, Cervelo, Cube, Canyon

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 212 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Pedal flew off the spindle. Used muscle force to keep it on until it popped off my shoe and was lost. Thumbed a ride home.

That's pretty much it. I use thread locker now on all fasteners, keep up with maintenance, and buy quality components.
Old 05-05-15, 01:36 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18417 Post(s)
Liked 4,532 Times in 3,366 Posts
I was touring in Italy, and somewhere around Abetone, my bike rack broke.

So, I found a small welding shop (probably on weekend off-horus) that welded it back together, and I was off again.

It has been a few years, but I vaguely think it only lasted another 100 miles or so, but it was enough to get me close enough to the end of my ride.
Old 05-05-15, 02:00 PM
RoderWrench

Bikes: Cannondale Slate and the rest don't matter anymore.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
My worst mechanical failure was caused by my foot. In 1983, I found out what toe overlap was the hard way on my new Huffy Aerowind. My right foot got caught in the wheel at about 15mph and felt like it was going to break in half when it hit the fork. I didn't have time to worry about that though because I was going head first into the pavement followed by the bike with my foot stuck in it. Miraculously, the only thing broken on me or the bike was a dozen spokes on my front wheel.
Old 05-05-15, 03:32 PM
cthenn

Bikes: 2023 Canyon Aeoroad CF SL, 2015 Trek Emonda SLR, 2002 Litespeed Classic, 2005 Bianchi Pista, Some BikesDirect MTB I never ride.

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 649 Post(s)
Liked 139 Times in 90 Posts
Shifted my chain into the rear wheel...Zipp 404 to be exact. Insta-fail, though amazingly the carbon rim wasn't damaged. Spokes were all toast though. That was a fun and expensive repair...
Old 05-05-15, 03:34 PM
Muffin Man
:)

Bikes: Cannondale CAAD12, Specialized Rockhopper, Norco Fluid FS1

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
I had my chain break twice, the rd cable come completely loose, and my brake caliper move enough that I effectively didn't have a rear brake anymore all in one mountain bike ride.

Also had my crank arm come off when I was commuting once.
Old 05-05-15, 04:43 PM
Monkey D.Luffy

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm also a victim of the chain getting stuck behind the cassette. I shifted from the large front chainring to the small ring at 1 mph and the chain got stuck automatically. I had to walk the bike back for 5 miles and ended up getting the tools for cassette removal and learned some more skills.
Old 05-05-15, 04:52 PM
pdedes
ka maté ka maté ka ora

Bikes: breezer venturi - red novo bosberg - red, pedal force cg1 - red, neuvation f-100 - da, devinci phantom - xt, miele piste - miche/campy, bianchi reparto corse sbx, concorde squadra tsx - da, miele team issue sl - ultegra

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
i've broken two nds crankarms (dura ace and sram red) as worst and requiring call of shame. also broke a pedal, rode home single footed, several chains (one call of shame, the rest I learned my lesson)
Old 05-05-15, 05:11 PM
corrado33

Bikes: 199? Landshark Roadshark, 198? Mondonico Diamond, 1987 Panasonic DX-5000, 1987 Bianchi Limited, Univega... Chrome..., 1989 Schwinn Woodlands, Motobecane USA Record, Raleigh Tokul 2

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1131 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I broke a rear dereaileur hanger once. I had let a LBS service my bike (free tune up after purchase) and had them replace a chain while it was there. They left the chain two links short and I accidently shifted into big/big (it's a double, it's not as much of a sin there.) and I ripped the derailleur off of the hanger. Luckily, I was mostly uphill from my house so I just held the chain/derailleur out of the way of the spokes and drifted home. Actually, I had my GF with me at the time and she rode home to get the car, but I was only a half mile behind her anyway.
Old 05-05-15, 05:39 PM
Tickstart

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've snapped a chain and sheared off a rear sprocket. It's all that torque.
Old 05-05-15, 05:43 PM
Brian Ratliff

Bikes: Three road bikes. Two track bikes.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
I've had lots, but the worst, for me, means hopping a ride; I've had two. One was a broken non-driveside spoke. No fixing that on the road (very difficult to loosen enough driveside spokes to compensate for the lack of a non-driveside spoke and I was not terribly experienced yet; not even sure I had a spoke wrench); took a bus into work and walked to a bike shop to fix the spoke. The other was when I ran over a razor blade. Only time I've actually had to call my wife for a ride. Tire was cut cross-wise all the way to the rim.

I've had others, but I've always been able to limp home from them or they were in races on closed courses. Fortunately, nothing that's actually put me on the ground.

Worst experience on a bike was this one time, I was commuting and it was pouring raining both in the morning and at night. I got a flat in the morning; no big deal; spare tube, pump, etc; 5 or 10 minutes late to work. Coming home, I got three flats (note: I had two spare tubes total and one was already used from the morning's activities), all different pieces of debris, in the dark, in the rain. After the last one, a construction staple, I was about a mile from my car and I just hoofed it rather than breaking out the patch kit a second time.
"If you’re new enough [to racing] that you would ask such question, then i would hazard a guess that if you just made up a workout that sounded hard to do, and did it, you’d probably get faster." --the tiniest sprinter
Old 05-05-15, 05:53 PM
AMusingFool

Bikes: Trek 7700, Motobecane Le Champion ST Ti

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I had a jog wheel fall off in the middle of a climb. Tried to set chain so it had some tension, then coasted down hill. Started walking home in road shoes, quickly got irritated and took shoes off. Jogged towards home with bike beside, coasting down hills when possible. End of last hill before house, coasting, chain gets caught (lost tension, hit ground, and was pulled under the wheel, I think), wraps around cassette and RD, and I come to sudden stop. In front of pick-up truck who was paying attention, thankfully.

RD looked like a bomb had gone off on it.

Carried the bike home the last quarter mile or so, and was happily able to get RD replaced that day (did first century next day).

Was very glad of the heavy hiking socks I habitually wear, as they were fine with the three miles of jogging to get home.
Old 05-05-15, 07:43 PM
Montag311

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 4 Posts
This thread is absolutely harrowing. I had to stop reading. It's enough to make a person stop riding and become a product-liability attorney.
Old 05-05-15, 08:47 PM
PaulRivers

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 539 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 38 Posts
Originally Posted by Montag311
This thread is absolutely harrowing. I had to stop reading. It's enough to make a person stop riding and become a product-liability attorney.
Don't start reading about car accidents then...
Old 05-05-15, 09:00 PM
TGT1

Bikes: 80's Schwinn High Plains, Motobecane Ti Cyclocross

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 21 Posts
Snapped an almost brand new chain up on GRR about 30 miles from home.

Had a chain breaker and a link so it was a couple of minute fix, but when I got home I found two more cracked side plates.

That would have been a long walk home!

I'll never buy a low end SRAM chain again!
Old 05-06-15, 10:55 AM
awunder

Bikes: 2001 LeMond Zurich, 1990 Peugeot Bordeaux/105, 1986 Cannondale, 1972 Peugeot UO8... oh, I've lost count.

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ripped a chainring in half. Somehow, a chainring bolt had dropped out. I had been mostly just spinning in the big ring and when I went to hammer up a short hill, the whole thing just got ripped out.

After the initial shock wore off, I was sort of proud of myself.
Old 05-06-15, 02:20 PM
CliffordK

Originally Posted by RoderWrench
My worst mechanical failure was caused by my foot. In 1983, I found out what toe overlap was the hard way on my new Huffy Aerowind. My right foot got caught in the wheel at about 15mph and felt like it was going to break in half when it hit the fork. I didn't have time to worry about that though because I was going head first into the pavement followed by the bike with my foot stuck in it. Miraculously, the only thing broken on me or the bike was a dozen spokes on my front wheel.
I'll have to remember that story the next time someone starts pontificating about the evils of foot retention.

I'm still not quite sure how one could get one's foot caught in the front wheel... perhaps you'll have to do a remake for YouTube

Old 05-06-15, 02:28 PM
RPK79
Custom User Title

Bikes: Fuji Roubaix Pro & Quintana Roo Kilo

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2863 Post(s)
Liked 31 Times in 14 Posts
Originally Posted by CliffordK
I'll have to remember that story the next time someone starts pontificating about the evils of foot retention.

I'm still not quite sure how one could get one's foot caught in the front wheel... perhaps you'll have to do a remake for YouTube

I guess you are too new to have lived through the multiple toe-overlap threads. Give it time.
Old 05-06-15, 02:32 PM
CliffordK

Originally Posted by RPK79
I guess you are too new to have lived through the multiple toe-overlap threads. Give it time.
I guess so.

I've bumped my tire a few times, but perhaps only enough to cause a slight swerve. I'm still having troubles imagining getting ones foot in the spokes...

And, it was a HUFFY... 36 spokes? Not one of those new wheels with 16 or so spokes and really big gaps.
Old 05-07-15, 04:11 AM
JimF22003

Bikes: 2008 Trek Madone 5.5, 2009 Cervelo R3SL tdf edition, Cervelo R5 with Di2

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Happened yesterday ironically. Dropped a chain somehow, which is usually not a big deal. But it managed to do something to the rear derailleur. I'm not sure what exactly yet. Maybe the chain is twisted, but the chain keeps dropping off of the jockey wheel into the jockey cage. That mean I couldn't pedal the bike at all, not even without shifting the RD. Fortunately I was only four miles from the ride start, and it was mostly downhill. Kind of makes me wonder what I would have done if I had been fifty miles away instead of four...
Old 05-07-15, 08:15 AM
RoderWrench

Bikes: Cannondale Slate and the rest don't matter anymore.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by CliffordK

I was a long time BMXer at the time, so I had a habit of riding with the arch of my foot over the pedal. They were slippery platform pedals that should have had toeclips(duh), I think I slipped while accelerating.

I'll have to decline the video reenactment.
Old 05-07-15, 10:20 AM
Bob Ross
your god hates me

Bikes: 2016 Richard Sachs, 2010 Carl Strong, 2006 Cannondale Synapse

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1270 Post(s)
Liked 1,307 Times in 721 Posts
During a low speed JRA I had the right half of my alloy handlebars snap clean off right by the stem. Fortunately the brake cable remained attached so I was able to stop...although dismounting was more awkward than you might imagine.
Old 05-07-15, 10:44 AM
Nachoman
well hello there

Bikes: Bill Holland (Road-Ti), Fuji Roubaix Pro (back-up), Bike Friday (folder), Co-Motion (tandem) & Trek 750 (hybrid)

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 503 Post(s)
Liked 337 Times in 207 Posts
Not me. But kind of my fault because I'm in charge of maintaining the family bikes.
My son threw an overshift sending the rear derailleur into the spokes.

Two wheels good. Four wheels bad.
Old 05-07-15, 10:53 AM
Wilfred Laurier
Señor Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 649 Post(s)
Liked 293 Times in 216 Posts
Broke a BB spindle once - didn't crash
Broke the pedal eye on a crank in half - did crash
Multiple broken chains with various results
Skipping chainring resulted in knee violently removing shift lever from handlebar
Old 05-07-15, 10:53 AM
mzeffex 

Bikes: Something Canadian, something Italian, something American, and something German

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 10 Posts
I crashed and cracked a frame once.

Another time while mountain biking my chain got hung up in the chain guide, pulled it hard, which threaded the bottom bracket. Then I had a bottom bracket and chain guide that were use, and had to ride home, pulling over every few minutes to put the chain back on.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.