Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Are these Kool Stops? Questioning eBay purchase...

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.
View Poll Results: Are these Kool Stops?
Kool Stops
0%
Not Kool Stops
100.00%
Voters: 7. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-10, 09:38 PM
tjc4golf

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

So I bought a set of brakes that supposedly came with Kool Stops. The pads don't say Kool Stop anywhere and don't look like any of the models shown on the Kool Stop website.

However, I don't have much experience with Kool Stops so I was hoping I could a couple of other opinions before discussing this with the seller.

Please let me know what you think. Thanks!

(Click on thumbnails for full size view)

Old 04-09-10, 09:41 PM
Torchy McFlux

Bikes: NOYB

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Those are not Kool-Stops.
The company has a website: https://www.koolstop.com/brakes/index.php
Old 04-09-10, 09:53 PM
tjc4golf

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Torchy McFlux
Those are not Kool-Stops.
The company has a website: https://www.koolstop.com/brakes/index.php
Thanks for the feedback. I'm aware of the website and had checked it out prior to posting. The pads don't look like those on the website but before I jumped to any conclusions wanted to get some input from the BF community.
Old 04-09-10, 10:04 PM
bikinfool
I have senior moments...

Bikes: Many

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Kool-Stop also makes pads for other brands, so who knows. Why is it so important? Do the pads work well?
Old 04-09-10, 10:26 PM
tjc4golf

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by bikinfool
Do the pads work well?
I haven't used them so I don't know if they work. When I buy something and have concerns I about the purchase generally don't use the item until concerns have been resolved... makes returns, resolutions tricky.

Why is it so important?
Do Kool Stops work better than generic pads? Many people seem to think so. Do Kool Stops command a price premium to generic brands? Yes. So, if these are not Kool Stops (1) I paid more than I should have and (2) got a product that according to many does not work as well. I think it is reasonable to expect to receive the item that was advertised and paid for... not a substitute.

The seller's actions also seem to suggest that he thinks it is important. If not he would not have felt that need to mention the Kool Stop name in the listing title and body.
Old 04-09-10, 10:55 PM
oilman_15106

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Holy cow, news flash a scambay seller lied about an item for sale!

Sorry, I had to do it. Been getting royally screwed on ebay recently with some of the stuff I have "won" .
Old 04-10-10, 01:08 AM
bikinfool
I have senior moments...

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by tjc4golf
I haven't used them so I don't know if they work. When I buy something and have concerns I about the purchase generally don't use the item until concerns have been resolved... makes returns, resolutions tricky.

Do Kool Stops work better than generic pads? Many people seem to think so. Do Kool Stops command a price premium to generic brands? Yes. So, if these are not Kool Stops (1) I paid more than I should have and (2) got a product that according to many does not work as well. I think it is reasonable to expect to receive the item that was advertised and paid for... not a substitute.

The seller's actions also seem to suggest that he thinks it is important. If not he would not have felt that need to mention the Kool Stop name in the listing title and body.
These were pads that came with new factory brakes of what make and model?
Old 04-10-10, 05:42 AM
AEO

Bikes: Bianchi, Miyata, Dahon, Rossin

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
no way those are koolstops.
koolstops do sell black compound brake pads, but they are shaped like the ones on the website.

those look generic.
Old 04-10-10, 07:17 AM
tjc4golf

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
These were pads that came with new factory brakes of what make and model?
No, not new factory brakes. I'm fixing up a bike on the cheap so I bought a set of used brakes. If you look closely you can see they have a very minor amount of wear on the pads. If it's important, they came with Tektro V brakes.
Old 04-10-10, 07:28 AM
I_bRAD
Call me The Breeze

Bikes: 2004 Litespeed Siena, 1996 Litespeed Obed, 1992 Miele (unknown model), 1982 Meile Uno LS.

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 4 Posts
Those are pretty much the cheapest, crappiest pads you can get. They probably came stock with the original tektros
Old 04-10-10, 11:46 AM
bikinfool
I have senior moments...

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
No, not new factory brakes. I'm fixing up a bike on the cheap so I bought a set of used brakes. If you look closely you can see they have a very minor amount of wear on the pads. If it's important, they came with Tektro V brakes.
You're worried about the quality of the pads? How much $ are we talking here for all this drama?
Old 04-10-10, 12:06 PM
cnnrmccloskey

Bikes: '82 Giante super challange, 70 Gitane Tour de France, GT Gutterball

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You're worried about the quality of the pads? How much $ are we talking here for all this drama?
Doesn't matter, if the OP payed a premium for koolstops he should get koolstops and those arn't them, talk tothe seller, they should make this right, even if only a matter of a couple bucks
Old 04-10-10, 12:56 PM
wrk101
Thrifty Bill

Bikes: 86 Katakura Silk, 87 Prologue X2, 88 Cimarron LE, 1975 Sekai 4000 Professional, 73 Paramount, plus more

Mentioned: 96 Post(s)
Quoted: 1236 Post(s)
Liked 964 Times in 628 Posts
Originally Posted by oilman_15106
Holy cow, news flash a scambay seller lied about an item for sale!

Sorry, I had to do it. Been getting royally screwed on ebay recently with some of the stuff I have "won" .
+1 Unfortunately, lots of stuff misrepresented on ebay. To be fair to ebay, Craigs List is even worse. Its really a buyer beware world out there. Ask for a refund through paypal, you should get it. Then leave negative feedback so that the next buyer doesn't get scammed.
Old 04-10-10, 03:40 PM
tjc4golf

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Thanks to those that weighed in.

I emailed seller earlier today stating my concerns and looking for a resolution. Seller just sent two messages in response:

Originally Posted by Message1
THey are kool stops. I purchased them in raleigh, nc in 2003. so an older model they cost me 12 per set. I don't know what to tell you. look up older models of kool stops.
Originally Posted by Message2
I am skeptical of the sellers explanation... does anyone think these could be an older (circa 2003) Kool Stop model?

I also noticed in the pic he linked to (which btw sucks in terms of showing the brake pads... not sure what similarities I'm supposed to see other than they're black and they're brake pads) that the pads on the left side have the pin that allows you to change the pad only. I know Kool Stop makes some models with replaceable pads but the ones the seller provided do not have this feature.
Old 04-10-10, 05:05 PM
urban_assault
53 miles per burrito

Bikes: Land Shark, Trek 1000, Iron Horse Rogue, Novara Randonee

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
They do not look like Kool Stop pads to me. I say no. Maybe back when he bought them, he was told they were Kool Stop. IIRC, all Kool Stop pads I have used had "Kool Stop" on them.
Old 04-10-10, 07:40 PM
vredstein

Bikes: '02 Lemond Buenos Aires, '98 Fuji Touring w/ Shimano Nexus premium, '06 Jamis Nova 853 cross frame set up as commuter, '03 Fuji Roubaix Pro 853 back up training bike

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanks to those that weighed in.

I emailed seller earlier today stating my concerns and looking for a resolution. Seller just sent two messages in response:

I am skeptical of the sellers explanation... does anyone think these could be an older (circa 2003) Kool Stop model?

I also noticed in the pic he linked to (which btw sucks in terms of showing the brake pads... not sure what similarities I'm supposed to see other than they're black and they're brake pads) that the pads on the left side have the pin that allows you to change the pad only. I know Kool Stop makes some models with replaceable pads but the ones the seller provided do not have this feature.
Your next email should be to Kool Stop asking them for clarification. I'm skeptical also, but until you get absolutely positive confirmation, you have to error on the side of caution. Calling him a liar or demanding a refund without having proof beyond merely circumstantial evidence has the potential to make you look real real bad.