Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Why are cycling jerseys so short?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Why are cycling jerseys so short?

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-22, 02:44 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7082 Post(s)
Liked 11,180 Times in 4,775 Posts
Originally Posted by Koyote
Oh, absolutely. And DF bikes are also responsible for Covid, the Russia-Ukraine war, inflation, and Syphilis. All caused by DF bikes. If only the world would listen to you!
Originally Posted by rydabent
Thanks for telling us about all those other DF bike problems.
Was that reply supposed to be witty? Because it is just sad.
Old 10-14-22, 02:52 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 5041 Post(s)
Liked 8,281 Times in 3,911 Posts
Originally Posted by rydabent
Not much of a problem on a recumbent, since we bent people set in a seat. But I can see how it is a problem with DF riders since they are all hunched down bent over forward.
All? Apparently not.
Old 10-17-22, 11:23 AM
zacster

Bikes: Kuota Kredo/Chorus, Trek 7000 commuter, Trek 8000 MTB and a few others

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 479 Times in 376 Posts
I'd like to see a photo of the OP in one of his 'too short' jerseys. At 5'7" and wearing size L, I have to believe that he just likes his jerseys to be ridiculously long.
Just look at the pic with the Grateful Dead jersey, compared to the ones I'm comfortable in that are longer. I was a skinny kid, but at 67yo I've put on weight and only a large will fit, but some of those are too short. I'd have thought they'd hang below my butt too but they don't.
Old 10-17-22, 11:47 AM
Koyote

Originally Posted by zacster
Just look at the pic with the Grateful Dead jersey, compared to the ones I'm comfortable in that are longer. I was a skinny kid, but at 67yo I've put on weight and only a large will fit, but some of those are too short. I'd have thought they'd hang below my butt too but they don't.
I'd still like to see a photo. I think you just prefer 'em long. There's nothing wrong with that, mind you.
Old 10-24-22, 03:35 PM
epnnf

Bikes: 2016 Masi strada vita due, 2019 Kona Dew Plus

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 268 Post(s)
Liked 80 Times in 55 Posts
Originally Posted by epnnf
All my jerseys are too long, especially in back. fwiw, my shorts are too tall, umm, especially in back. I am 5'11", 175#.

jersey way too long

shorts too tall
Ok, Im standing, but the riding position wouldnt change much. The overlap is more than 12"
Old 10-24-22, 06:24 PM
urbanknight
Over the hill

Bikes: Giant Defy, Giant Revolt

Quoted: 1009 Post(s)
Liked 1,231 Times in 705 Posts

jersey way too long

shorts too tall
Ok, Im standing, but the riding position wouldnt change much. The overlap is more than 12"
That’s more of a party dress than a jersey!
Old 10-24-22, 08:00 PM
Koyote

jersey way too long

shorts too tall
Hint: a cycling jersey isn't supposed to fit like a housedress. That monstrosity is two sizes too large for you -- maybe three. Haven't you ever looked around at other cyclists, or watched them on TV, and noticed how their jerseys fit?

I can't comment on the sizing of your shorts, because I need to go wash out my eyes with bleach.
Likes For Koyote:
Old 04-30-24, 07:53 PM
zacster

I wanted to look online for cycling jerseys again and this thread popped up on Google as the first suggestion. So here's an update: In 2022 I probably weighed around 210 pounds, and then gained even more. In December of 2023 I weighed in at 220. In April 2024 I now weigh 180, so 40 pounds lost in about 5 months. I still have those jerseys, except maybe the Grateful Dead one, and I still gravitate towards the biggest ones although I find I can wear the shorter ones a little bit better but still find them short. I wore the Synchronicity one on a ride the other day and got a few likes on it. And today I wore the yellow one on the left and my neighbor said I looked like I stepped out of an REI catalog. My goal weight is 170, I'm hoping by the end of June. That is still a lot more than I weighed after college, but that is a distant memory.
Old 04-30-24, 10:14 PM
urbanknight
Over the hill

Bikes: Giant Defy, Giant Revolt

Quoted: 1009 Post(s)
Liked 1,231 Times in 705 Posts
I still gravitate towards the biggest ones although I find I can wear the shorter ones a little bit better but still find them short.
Wear the ones you feel comfortable in no matter what we elitists say.
Old 04-30-24, 11:04 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4852 Post(s)
Liked 3,990 Times in 2,589 Posts
I don't know why you put shrunk in quotation marks, but I will note that cycling jerseys are made of polyester, which does not shrink.

Since I've not had your problem, I will guess that either you are buying the wrong jerseys (for your body size and type) or you prefer them to hang down much lower than is typical. When you get off the saddle to climb or sprint, does the back hem of your jersey get caught on your saddle? Do you want it to?
They've "shrunk" as in become shorter by design. I pulled out my custom fit jersey of my late '70s racing days last week. Got reminded how nice it was to reach back for pockets that aren't up in the small of my back.

Mavic made/licensed a run of spring/fall jerseys a few years back of sturdy cloth and much lower in back. While the pockets aren't fully at the jersey bottom, they are much lower than most modern jerseys. Jerseys I love. I wish I'd bought more.
Likes For 79pmooney:
Old 05-01-24, 07:19 AM
DomaneS5
Fredly Fredster

Bikes: Trek Domane S5, Trek 1.1c, Motobecane Omni Strada Comp, Trek X-Caliber 6

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 208 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 16 Posts
I bought 3 "Large/Tall" cycling jerseys from Aerotech Designs which solved the jersey shrinking above the waistline problem.
Old 05-01-24, 09:31 AM
zacster

Originally Posted by 79pmooney
They've "shrunk" as in become shorter by design. I pulled out my custom fit jersey of my late '70s racing days last week. Got reminded how nice it was to reach back for pockets that aren't up in the small of my back.

Mavic made/licensed a run of spring/fall jerseys a few years back of sturdy cloth and much lower in back. While the pockets aren't fully at the jersey bottom, they are much lower than most modern jerseys. Jerseys I love. I wish I'd bought more.
When I said "shrunk" in the original post I meant that I'd grown a lot wider and the jerseys feel like they've shrunk, not that the jerseys themselves have shrunk in the wash or in the manufacture. That's why it is in quote marks. But yes, the jerseys seem to have become shorter over the years. There is also a difference between "club fit" and "race fit" with club fit jerseys being a lot more relaxed of course.

I went on the Giordana website and aside from being expensive I had a sense they are all more race fit. I'm doing volunteer work tomorrow at the 5 Boro Bike Tour packet pickup and I'll see what the vendors have there. And if I don't see anything there I'll start visiting the bike shops, Paragon Sports and REI to find a few that fit well. Buying these online never works.
Old 05-19-24, 12:18 PM
zacster

I put on my Police/Synchronicity jersey made by Primal and realized that this is the fit I want so I just ordered two more Primal jerseys from their sale page. I hope they're cut the same. They were their "Sport" fit, which is the most relaxed.
Old 05-19-24, 12:37 PM
bruce19

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1773 Post(s)
Liked 1,301 Times in 754 Posts
I have never had this problem. I wear Assos and Castelli.
Old 05-19-24, 01:30 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 3751 Post(s)
Liked 5,670 Times in 2,860 Posts
In December of 2023 I weighed in at 220. In April 2024 I now weigh 180, so 40 pounds lost in about 5 months.
Congrats! Assume you used one of the new weight loss drugs. Which one and how were the side effects?
Old 05-19-24, 07:30 PM
zacster

Originally Posted by shelbyfv
Congrats! Assume you used one of the new weight loss drugs. Which one and how were the side effects?
No weight loss drugs. I gave up certain foods and rode the trainer almost every day for 6 months and now riding outside. I've kept track of all the calories burned but not the calories I didn't eat. It was enough to drop weight fast. My goal was 3000 calories/week on the trainer and mostly I hit that. i gave up bagels, beer and pizza right off the top as way too many calories, but also avoid all other carbs too. I eat a lot of other things that you wouldn't think would be healthy but those don't seem to matter. Eggs, cheese, meat, olives. Lots of chicken and salmon. But the trick has been to burn the calories that you aren't eating anyway and not try to burn the calories that you ate.

The side effects of the diabetes drugs are worse than the condition they are trying to control sometimes. I'd rather spend an hour on the trainer than an hour on the toilet. You lose weight, your blood sugar goes down, your blood pressure goes down.

My goal this week with the nice weather is 2 40-50 mile rides, plus a few days of 15 mile laps of the park, totaling 130 miles. That should be close to 4000 calories burned just from riding. People are surprised at my will power with eating too, but I'm obsessed at this point.

Last edited by zacster; 05-19-24 at 07:34 PM.
Likes For zacster:
Old 05-19-24, 07:33 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Quoted: 3751 Post(s)
Liked 5,670 Times in 2,860 Posts
Outstanding!!
Old 05-20-24, 03:52 AM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 4525 Post(s)
Liked 5,023 Times in 3,103 Posts

People are surprised at my will power with eating too, but I'm obsessed at this point.
Great job, but this comment caught my eye. Don’t rely on will-power to maintain this regime long term. You have to get to a point where you are not having to make any conscious effort or perceived sacrifice.

This is something I read recently and I think it is spot on for many things in life. Will-power and obsessions are usually fairly short term factors in maintaining a healthy lifestyle.
Likes For PeteHski:
Old 05-20-24, 04:38 AM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 3,071 Times in 1,960 Posts
Originally Posted by PeteHski
Great job, but this comment caught my eye. Don’t rely on will-power to maintain this regime long term. You have to get to a point where you are not having to make any conscious effort or perceived sacrifice.

This is something I read recently and I think it is spot on for many things in life. Will-power and obsessions are usually fairly short term factors in maintaining a healthy lifestyle.
that explains all the N+1's & parts/accessories purchased...
Old 05-20-24, 08:22 AM
zacster

I've been considering this myself, at what point do I stop denying myself things that I like and go back to normal eating, but without excess. I have a target weight in mind so if I get there I'll start enjoying things again in moderation. The biking OTOH I can keep doing. In the meantime, the bagel shop hasn't seen me, the pizza place next door to it hasn't seen me, and the local bar hasn't seen me. I was a regular at all three. I'm eating a bowl of plain yogurt with fresh blueberries as I write this. But even this weekend I was at Nathan's for my favorite hot dogs with fries on the side and a beer. Not exactly on the diet, but I only had a few fries and a small beer. Last night I was at a Korean BBQ party where I brought the margaritas. I did have pizza during the week but didn't have that third small slice even though two wasn't enough. I'm not completely without enjoyment here.
Old 05-20-24, 10:28 AM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 4525 Post(s)
Liked 5,023 Times in 3,103 Posts
I've been considering this myself, at what point do I stop denying myself things that I like and go back to normal eating, but without excess. I have a target weight in mind so if I get there I'll start enjoying things again in moderation. The biking OTOH I can keep doing. In the meantime, the bagel shop hasn't seen me, the pizza place next door to it hasn't seen me, and the local bar hasn't seen me. I was a regular at all three. I'm eating a bowl of plain yogurt with fresh blueberries as I write this. But even this weekend I was at Nathan's for my favorite hot dogs with fries on the side and a beer. Not exactly on the diet, but I only had a few fries and a small beer. Last night I was at a Korean BBQ party where I brought the margaritas. I did have pizza during the week but didn't have that third small slice even though two wasn't enough. I'm not completely without enjoyment here.
No easy answer. But whatever you do long term has to feel "normal" and not a forced behaviour. I keep chipping away at my nutrition. It's not perfect, but it is sustainable. I try to look for healthier substitutes for things I really like e.g. darker chocolate, sour dough bread, cauliflower rice. I also have cheat days where I just eat whatever I feel like.
Likes For PeteHski:
Old 05-20-24, 01:49 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18504 Post(s)
Liked 15,818 Times in 7,428 Posts
No easy answer. But whatever you do long term has to feel "normal" and not a forced behaviour. I keep chipping away at my nutrition. It's not perfect, but it is sustainable. I try to look for healthier substitutes for things I really like e.g. darker chocolate, sour dough bread, cauliflower rice. I also have cheat days where I just eat whatever I feel like.
As someone who once lost 90 lbs. in 9 months through diet change (not dieting) and aerobic exercise, I agree with the above. People need to adopt a new normal, where the occasional cheating consists of a trip back to the former normal. When I was going through my dramatic weight loss I would treat myself to Burger King maybe every other Thursday night if I had been sticking to the new normal.
Old 05-20-24, 02:10 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 5041 Post(s)
Liked 8,281 Times in 3,911 Posts
When I went though my major weight loss phase (40 lbs in 12 months), the key for me was reducing portion size, but I never really cut out anything completely. I cut out my every-day, after-work beer, but didn't stop having some wine with my wife in the evening, as is our habit. I got the 6-8oz filet mignon instead of the 12-16oz rib eye. I stole a few of my wife's fries instead of getting a full order for myself. I never felt like I was denying myself the foods I enjoy, and it was easily sustainable. These days, I've backed off some of my adjustments, and am maintaining a stable weight in a fairly narrow window.
Old 05-20-24, 02:24 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Quoted: 10521 Post(s)
Liked 12,087 Times in 6,189 Posts
Originally Posted by Eric F
When I went though my major weight loss phase (40 lbs in 12 months), the key for me was reducing portion size, but I never really cut out anything completely. I cut out my every-day, after-work beer, but didn't stop having some wine with my wife in the evening, as is our habit. I got the 6-8oz filet mignon instead of the 12-16oz rib eye. I stole a few of my wife's fries instead of getting a full order for myself. I never felt like I was denying myself the foods I enjoy, and it was easily sustainable. These days, I've backed off some of my adjustments, and am maintaining a stable weight in a fairly narrow window.
You're good as long as you don't get stuck in the window.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Likes For genejockey:
Old 05-20-24, 05:48 PM
njkayaker

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 4302 Post(s)
Liked 1,383 Times in 963 Posts
They are shorter to save money on fabric.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.