Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Difference between someone who rides a bicycle and a "cyclist" socioeconomic?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Difference between someone who rides a bicycle and a "cyclist" socioeconomic?

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-23, 12:37 PM
phughes

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1034 Post(s)
Liked 1,292 Times in 744 Posts
Originally Posted by greatbasin
Is the difference between someone who rides a bicycle and a "cyclist" their socioeconomic class?
Pretentiousness.
Old 05-06-23, 12:43 PM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

Bikes: Scott Addict R1, Felt Z1

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 3432 Post(s)
Liked 3,567 Times in 1,793 Posts
Hearkening back to the SAT test taking days:

"Cyclist" is to "person who rides a bike"
as
"athlete" is to "person who exercises".

Likes For terrymorse:
Old 05-06-23, 12:46 PM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 2245 Post(s)
Liked 3,448 Times in 1,807 Posts
If you think it is a troll, why keep taking the bait?​​
Good point.

​​​​​I wasn't trying to make a point, but I asked questions to start a discussion. I wanted to read what other people think about how cycling influences our own identity and the way we perceive the identity of others in our culture. Specifically, I inquired about the divide between leisure cycling by the priviledged class that enjoys good health, good education, good families, good occupations, and good neighborhoods and bicycle use by people who do not enjoy those priviledges. What do you think about this divide? What are your thoughts on this? One of the things I mentioned in my first post was intergenerational elasticity of social, physiological, and cultural capital. This is the degree of deviation in these asset levels between generations. An increase in inequality, that is the disparity in asset levels between the leisure cyclist and the displaced campers, has been observed to correlate to less deviation in asset levels between generations. In simpler terms, as inequality increases, intergenerational social mobility decreases -- more people possess unequal asset levels and the inequality persists increasingly just because they were born that way. This isn't the point I'm trying to make, but a fact that prefaces my question. What do you make of the difference here?
I misunderstood your intent.

I'm not without my opinions, but I have been told previously to keep them out of General Cycling. Suffice it to say that in a healthy, functional society, this problem wouldn't arise, and I agree that inequality is increasing.

About 30 years ago my then touring partner was doing a medical residency and we showed up to a BBQ hours before we were to depart with fully loaded bikes. The physician he reported to was hosting the BBQ and when we arrived, he said with a sneer that we looked like a couple of homeless people.

That has since stuck with me. I'm still not entirely clear how to unpack that, 30 years on...
Likes For Polaris OBark:
Old 05-06-23, 02:15 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 3683 Post(s)
Liked 5,448 Times in 2,769 Posts
does rising inequality increasingly exclude people from being regarded as "cyclists?"
It's been established here recently that the financial commitment needed to obtain a bike suitable for a cycling enthusiast is very low. Well within the means of any adult with an income. People w/o income probably have no more interest in becoming cyclists than in becoming golfers.
Old 05-06-23, 02:27 PM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
Originally Posted by terrymorse

as
Sorry but no exercise alone is not enough to make one an athlete....An athlete is a person who regularly participates in competitive events and follows a strict workout protocol which is designed to make them better at whatever they are competing....Just going out to a gym and exercising or going out for a jog or a bike ride doesn't make one an athlete.
Likes For wolfchild:
Old 05-06-23, 02:34 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

as
Originally Posted by wolfchild
Sorry but no exercise alone is not enough to make one an athlete....An athlete is a person who regularly participates in competitive events and follows a strict workout protocol which is designed to make them better at whatever they are competing....Just going out to a gym and exercising or going out for a jog or a bike ride doesn't make one an athlete.
Likes For shelbyfv:
Old 05-06-23, 02:50 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18430 Post(s)
Liked 15,585 Times in 7,339 Posts
Originally Posted by phughes
Pretentiousness.
No. Trolling. I recognize it from his work in other forums.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 05-06-23, 03:40 PM
tcs
Palmer

Bikes: Mike Melton custom, Alex Moulton AM, Dahon Curl

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 1671 Post(s)
Liked 1,828 Times in 1,063 Posts
Is this a cyclist? Or do cyclists have good health, good education, good families, good occupations, and good neighborhoods? If intergenerational elasticity of social, physiological, and cultural capital is correlated to inequality, does rising inequality increasingly exclude people from being regarded as "cyclists?"
Likes For tcs:
Old 05-06-23, 03:41 PM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

Just going out to a gym and exercising or going out for a jog or a bike ride doesn't make one an athlete.
Agreed. Nor does hopping on a bike and riding around make one a cyclist.

Nor does fixing a leaking toilet once make one a plumber.

Et cetera.

Likes For terrymorse:
Old 05-06-23, 03:54 PM
daihard 
Just a person on bike

Bikes: 2015 Trek 1.1, 2021 Specialized Roubaix, 2022 Tern HSD S+

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 56 Posts
Originally Posted by Herzlos
I know the Dutch have different terms for a bicycle user (someone who uses a bicycle as a tool to travel) and a cyclist (someone who cycles for a hobby/makes it a part of their personality). The people on here are almost all obsessed enough to talk about it on the internet, though some of the former will have stumbled here trying to find information about bikes / repairs / etc.

I'm a bicycle user when I'm riding my folding bike to work in my work clothes, and a cyclist when I've got the road bike out on a Saturday morning in full lycra.
I'm like you.

This YouTube video takes a deep dive into the difference between "cyclists (wielrenners)" and "people who ride bikes (fietsers)", and how it does not make sense to make that distinction.

The value of your life doesn't change based on the way you travel. - Dawn Schellenberg (SDOT)
Likes For daihard:
Old 05-06-23, 04:08 PM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
Of all the different hobbies and activities out there, cycling seems to have most divisions between people who enjoy doing the same thing.
Likes For wolfchild:
Old 05-06-23, 04:17 PM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

Of all the different hobbies and activities out there, cycling seems to have most divisions between people who enjoy doing the same thing.
Perhaps that's because bicycle riding, while deceptively simple at a basic level, can be done in so many different ways that it no longer resembles the "same thing".

Last edited by terrymorse; 05-06-23 at 04:49 PM.
Likes For terrymorse:
Old 05-06-23, 04:19 PM
phughes

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1034 Post(s)
Liked 1,292 Times in 744 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
Yeah well, I got that. I was only counter trolling.
Likes For phughes:
Old 05-06-23, 04:31 PM
daihard 
Just a person on bike

Bikes: 2015 Trek 1.1, 2021 Specialized Roubaix, 2022 Tern HSD S+

Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 56 Posts
Perhaps that's because bicycle riding, which deceptively simple at a basic level, can be done in so many different ways that it no longer resembles the "same thing".
Yeah, kinda like driving a family sedan on the weekend vs driving a racing car.

The value of your life doesn't change based on the way you travel. - Dawn Schellenberg (SDOT)
Likes For daihard:
Old 05-06-23, 08:25 PM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Quoted: 26427 Post(s)
Liked 10,384 Times in 7,212 Posts

...???
Old 05-06-23, 09:33 PM
RCMoeur 
Cantilever believer

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 538 Post(s)
Liked 1,846 Times in 835 Posts
A couple of decades ago, our bike club had a psychologist who rode with us and attended meetings. He said he found bicycling organizations fascinating, in that cycling seems to attract strong individualists, who then (attempt to) work cooperatively in group rides and in club management, and the tension between the two can cause some lively interactions. It might also help to explain a history of clubs begetting other clubs as riders broke away to do their own thing.
Likes For RCMoeur:
Old 05-06-23, 09:38 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Quoted: 4957 Post(s)
Liked 8,100 Times in 3,833 Posts
Originally Posted by tcs
Meh. I’ve done that.
Old 05-06-23, 09:42 PM
greatbasin

Quoted: 198 Post(s)
Liked 85 Times in 66 Posts
Originally Posted by shelbyfv
It's been established here recently that the financial commitment needed to obtain a bike suitable for a cycling enthusiast is very low. Well within the means of any adult with an income. People w/o income probably have no more interest in becoming cyclists than in becoming golfers.
I didn't mention a financial commitment. What I mentioned was health, neighborhood, occupation, family, and education. Those 20-something bicycles that were found in the encampment under the freeway in the photo in the original post -- I'm pretty sure that nobody there had a financial commitment to them. The one in the photo was a Specialized, full-suspension Stumpjumper with Fox shock and fork. In 2013 when the photo was taken, it was most certainly suitable for a cycling enthusiast and it was quite apparently within the means of adults with no income to obtain because obtain it they did, and 20-something others. Nevertheless, we can fairly surmise that the inhabitants of the former freeway camp, despite obviously having an abundance of bikes suitable for cycling enthusiasts, did not have all the benefits of good health, a good neighborhood, good family, a good occupation, and good education. So are you saying that those circumstances preclude them from becoming cyclists (or golfers) despite their having ample equipment?
Old 05-06-23, 09:45 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Quoted: 4957 Post(s)
Liked 8,100 Times in 3,833 Posts
Tribalism. As someone who rides multiple different types of bikes on a frequent basis, the negativity between groups bothers me.

Last edited by Eric F; 05-07-23 at 12:41 AM.
Likes For Eric F:
Old 05-06-23, 09:48 PM
greatbasin

Quoted: 198 Post(s)
Liked 85 Times in 66 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
You mean like that one where it was asked if cycling is just for leftists?
Or the one where it was inquired whether concealed carry was just for proles?
Old 05-06-23, 09:54 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Quoted: 2591 Post(s)
Liked 5,661 Times in 2,928 Posts
Perhaps that's because bicycle riding, while deceptively simple at a basic level, can be done in so many different ways that it no longer resembles the "same thing".
An example: a lay person seeing a pro rider in the Giro or Vuelta would call them a bike rider. A pro rider may not see themselves as anything but a professional cyclist, or former pro, and the the majority of cyclists here, as recreational or fitness riders. It’s all a matter of perspective. And does any of it really matter? Only if your ego is involved.

Old 05-06-23, 11:53 PM
retswerb
Along for the ride

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked 212 Times in 107 Posts
Originally Posted by shelbyfv
Established? I saw that claim being made and thought about challenging it yesterday but decided to let it go. It's been claimed here recently, with no evidence at all. And your assumptions about what people without income have interest in are equally unfounded.
Old 05-07-23, 04:06 AM
Germany_chris
I’m a little Surly

Bikes: Two Cross Checks, a Karate Monkey, a Disc Trucker, and a VO Randonneur

Quoted: 699 Post(s)
Liked 1,294 Times in 647 Posts
So now we get a bit of socio-political concern trolling with our dumpster diving in general..

Ahhh Sundays
Likes For Germany_chris:
Old 05-07-23, 06:18 AM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

So are you saying that those circumstances preclude them from becoming cyclists (or golfers) despite their having ample equipment?
Did I say that? I certainly didn't intend to.
Old 05-07-23, 06:25 AM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Originally Posted by retswerb
Established? I saw that claim being made and thought about challenging it yesterday but decided to let it go. It's been claimed here recently, with no evidence at all. And your assumptions about what people without income have interest in are equally unfounded.
How would you challenge this?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.