Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Something to think about - strength/aerobic training and heart attacks

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Something to think about - strength/aerobic training and heart attacks

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-23, 01:40 PM
MoAlpha
• —

Bikes: Shmikes

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10176 Post(s)
Liked 5,872 Times in 3,161 Posts
Originally Posted by Carbonfiberboy
Which claim in not in the paper, IIRC. Googling around, I can't find a study comparing cardiovascular event frequency among those who strength train and those who aerobic train. Might not exist..
Tough study. I think you'd also need a couch potato group to see whether the less effective training was helping, doing nothing, or making people sicker. Then you'd have to do something about systematic differences in body mass, and control for a bunch of other factors, including diet and genetic traits, which also might vary systematically between groups. Then you'd have a big statistical power issue comparing three groups. Yuck!
Old 10-06-23, 04:04 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3890 Post(s)
Liked 1,939 Times in 1,384 Posts
Originally Posted by MoAlpha
Tough study. I think you'd also need a couch potato group to see whether the less effective training was helping, doing nothing, or making people sicker. Then you'd have to do something about systematic differences in body mass, and control for a bunch of other factors, including diet and genetic traits, which also might vary systematically between groups. Then you'd have a big statistical power issue comparing three groups. Yuck!
Well, there's always the problematic observational study: https://bjsm.bmj.com/content/56/21/1218

And for a little added bummer for your day, there's this: https://www.washingtonpost.com/healt...ctancy-crisis/
The comments are worth reading, too.

Forty years ago in America, low income zip codes saw an 8% higher likelihood of premature death. Now that disparity stands at an astonishing 61%. Sorry about the politics, but it is what it is:
https://www.washingtonpost.com/healt...fe-expectancy/
Old 10-06-23, 07:24 PM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

Bikes: Scott Addict R1, Felt Z1

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 3432 Post(s)
Liked 3,567 Times in 1,793 Posts
And for a little added bummer for your day, there's this: https://www.washingtonpost.com/healt...ctancy-crisis/
Noteworthy: not one mention of exercise, or lack of exercise, as a causal factor in life expectancy.

Old 10-06-23, 09:05 PM
downtube42

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6 Gen 3, Soma Fog Cutter, Focus Mares AL, Detroit Bikes Sparrow FG, Volae Team, Nimbus MUni

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 896 Post(s)
Liked 2,065 Times in 1,081 Posts
At 63, I've watched my parents' generation die. Generally, it's not pretty. In the US we're pretty good at keeping people alive for a long time, particularly if there's money to squeeze out. Quality of life isn't making anyone profit, whilst keeping patients strapped to a bed or chair to prevent falls maximizes the bottom line.

With that backdrop, I'm all for hard workouts for the benefit they provide to my short term goals, and for the type II fun, but I'm wholly uninterested in long term impact on the possibility of cardiac arrest.

YMMV.
Old 10-06-23, 09:43 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3890 Post(s)
Liked 1,939 Times in 1,384 Posts
Originally Posted by terrymorse
Noteworthy: not one mention of exercise, or lack of exercise, as a causal factor in life expectancy.
Quite so. I think the presence or absence of that sort of intervention is inherent in the cultural differences. I'm reading Demon Copperhead, basically about the effect of the Sackler family's intervention in Appalachian culture.
Old 10-07-23, 06:10 AM
MoAlpha
• —

Bikes: Shmikes

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 10176 Post(s)
Liked 5,872 Times in 3,161 Posts
Well, there's always the problematic observational study: https://bjsm.bmj.com/content/56/21/1218

Forty years ago in America, low income zip codes saw an 8% higher likelihood of premature death. Now that disparity stands at an astonishing 61%. Sorry about the politics, but it is what it is:
https://www.washingtonpost.com/healt...fe-expectancy/
Quite so. I think the presence or absence of that sort of intervention is inherent in the cultural differences. I'm reading Demon Copperhead, basically about the effect of the Sackler family's intervention in Appalachian culture.
Take away meaningful and fairly compensated work, family, and community, and market profitable and addictive junk (and ideologies) to fill the void. Too easy.

Good book. I listened to it mainly while doing resistance training.

Last edited by MoAlpha; 10-07-23 at 06:13 AM.
Old 10-07-23, 06:34 AM
nomadmax 

Mentioned: 93 Post(s)
Quoted: 1104 Post(s)
Liked 1,825 Times in 878 Posts
As I always said when I was a trainer at the police academy, "nobody ever died from a skinny bicep". I stand by that statement today, in spite of what "science" on the internet says.