Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Snacks during a ride?

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Snacks during a ride?

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-23, 08:28 AM
Breadfan

Bikes: Niner RLT 9, 1972 Nishiki Road Compe, Jamis Renegade, Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked 69 Times in 39 Posts
I've only bonked once since I started biking, I wasn't eating and I was only drinking water. That was not enough. I now mix my own electrolyte drink which is basically lime aid with a little more salt than the sports drink. I did a bunch of research and the over the counter sports drink does not replenish the salt fast enough that your body looses, so on long rides, you may bonk. For food, it's Fig Newtons all the way. They are instant energy, provide everything I need to keep going and are easy to store and eat. I like to keep it simple. There are so many different choices with gels, drinks, pickle juice and what not, it can make your head spin. Mine works for me and it is extremely cheap on the budget. All my riding buddies are doing the same now, it's just too easy and cheap.
Old 10-12-23, 08:57 AM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

Bikes: Scott Addict R1, Felt Z1

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 3432 Post(s)
Liked 3,567 Times in 1,793 Posts
Originally Posted by Breadfan
I've only bonked once since I started biking, I wasn't eating and I was only drinking water. That was not enough. I now mix my own electrolyte drink which is basically lime aid with a little more salt than the sports drink. I did a bunch of research and the over the counter sports drink does not replenish the salt fast enough that your body looses, so on long rides, you may bonk.
To "bonk" is to run out of glycogen stores. It's impossible for someone to "bonk" from not getting enough salt. But adding salt to water will speed the uptake of fluids into your bloodstream, which is better than having a bunch of water sloshing around in your belly while riding.

Drinking too much water, or doing a long ride on a hot day, can cause hyponatremia, an insufficient amount of sodium in the blood. I had this happen only once on a long and very hot ride (9 hours, 155 miles, 14,000', 114F). Hyponatremia is very unpleasant -- and potentially fatal.

Old 10-12-23, 09:22 AM
pepperbelly
old newbie

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Quoted: 541 Post(s)
Liked 359 Times in 182 Posts
Originally Posted by Breadfan
I've only bonked once since I started biking, I wasn't eating and I was only drinking water. That was not enough. I now mix my own electrolyte drink which is basically lime aid with a little more salt than the sports drink. I did a bunch of research and the over the counter sports drink does not replenish the salt fast enough that your body looses, so on long rides, you may bonk. For food, it's Fig Newtons all the way. They are instant energy, provide everything I need to keep going and are easy to store and eat. I like to keep it simple. There are so many different choices with gels, drinks, pickle juice and what not, it can make your head spin. Mine works for me and it is extremely cheap on the budget. All my riding buddies are doing the same now, it's just too easy and cheap.
Fig newtons sound good. They won’t melt and are badically bite size.
Old 10-12-23, 09:38 AM
Breadfan

Bikes: Niner RLT 9, 1972 Nishiki Road Compe, Jamis Renegade, Specialized Roubaix

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked 69 Times in 39 Posts
Originally Posted by terrymorse
To "bonk" is to run out of glycogen stores. It's impossible for someone to "bonk" from not getting enough salt. But adding salt to water will speed the uptake of fluids into your bloodstream, which is better than having a bunch of water sloshing around in your belly while riding.

Drinking too much water, or doing a long ride on a hot day, can cause hyponatremia, an insufficient amount of sodium in the blood. I had this happen only once on a long and very hot ride (9 hours, 155 miles, 14,000', 114F). Hyponatremia is very unpleasant -- and potentially fatal.
Thank you for clarifying that. If I feel like crap, it's all bonking to me so I try to keep everything in check. I won't use the term so loosely next time.
Likes For Breadfan:
Old 10-14-23, 08:18 AM
RH Clark

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 539 Post(s)
Liked 466 Times in 259 Posts
Originally Posted by Jughed
I'm T2 and have been eating "keto" for 4+ years now.

Once you are truly fat adapted - after 3,4,5+ months of clean keto... then you add consistent cycling, you can ride 30+ miles without food - IF, and this is a big IF - if you keep in the fat burning range/level of exertion.

You need to stay well within Zone 2 / conversation pace levels of effort. Every time you go into higher levels of effort, you start to burn glucose. Hills, wind, catching the rider in front on the bike path - all can put you into glucose burning zone.

When eating keto, you have very little glucose in reserve and your body can only make so much from fat. If you go too hard - boom, bonk.

If I'm on flat ground, out for a easy ride - I can ride all day without food. This rarely happens, so I will add targeted amounts of carbs to avoid a bonk.

Before a planned hard ride I will add some carbs to the meals the day before, and consume small amounts of carbs during the ride - but typically only need about 1/4 the amount of carbs that are recommended by most cycling diet recommendations.

It took the better part of a year to figure this out - with many bonks during that time.
My experience is nearly exactly the same as yours. Starting at age 50 I lost 160 lbs over 2 years and cycled 360 days my second year. I have done lots of 20-30 mile rides while in ketosis and without having consumed any calories for 20+ hours. It takes about 3 months of less than 20 carbs a day to get fully fat adapted. If you try fasted and unfed riding without being fully adapted to burning fat, you just won't have any energy and you will likely bonk. I recommend testing ketosis levels with a breath meter. I say 3 months because if you go that long the body will actually change the mitochondria of your cells from carb burning optimization to fat burning optimized.

I bonked once but I was pushing the fasted state and attempted a more than 30 mile ride while having fasted all calories 48 hours. I had to stop and lay down a couple hours and was able to finish afterwards.
Likes For RH Clark:
Old 10-14-23, 09:42 AM
pepperbelly
old newbie

I may not be doing keto. I am not comfortable eating that much fat so I am just doing low carb.
I have lost 75 pounds since the first of February butcrecently my weight loss has plateaued. I just don’t have any energy.
Old 10-14-23, 11:00 AM
RH Clark

Originally Posted by pepperbelly
I may not be doing keto. I am not comfortable eating that much fat so I am just doing low carb.
I have lost 75 pounds since the first of February butcrecently my weight loss has plateaued. I just don’t have any energy.
How much do you still want to lose? I found a low carb diet easier to lose significant amounts but for smaller amounts I prefer higher carbs and lower fats. I switched back and forth between high fat low carb, and high carb low fat for a month at a time also to give myself a reset so to speak. I only did that though when I had lost 90% of my weight to provide myself a more varied diet. I always have and continue to avoid all processed foods, sugar and seed oils like the plague. I eat fruit occasionally of all kinds as part of a varied healthy diet but no processed sugars or bread products at all. I've kept the weight off 5 and a half years. My nemesis is red wine, but I am honest with myself and disciplined enough to leave it alone completely for extended periods when I need to.
Likes For RH Clark:
Old 10-14-23, 12:05 PM
pepperbelly
old newbie

Originally Posted by RH Clark
How much do you still want to lose? I found a low carb diet easier to lose significant amounts but for smaller amounts I prefer higher carbs and lower fats. I switched back and forth between high fat low carb, and high carb low fat for a month at a time also to give myself a reset so to speak. I only did that though when I had lost 90% of my weight to provide myself a more varied diet. I always have and continue to avoid all processed foods, sugar and seed oils like the plague. I eat fruit occasionally of all kinds as part of a varied healthy diet but no processed sugars or bread products at all. I've kept the weight off 5 and a half years. My nemesis is red wine, but I am honest with myself and disciplined enough to leave it alone completely for extended periods when I need to.
i have another 30 pounds to hit a realistic goal. I would like another 25.
Old 10-14-23, 12:38 PM
RH Clark

i have another 30 pounds to hit a realistic goal. I would like another 25.
Can you define what realistic means? Personally, low enough body fat for well-defined abs has been my goal, while trying to maintain as much muscle as possible proportionally. I'm 6'3 and I got down to 170lbs for nearly a year. I got injured and gained nearly 40 lbs. over a year and a half. I had surgery to correct the injury and am back down to 185 lbs. I do calisthenics and some yoga and some light free weights, kettlebell. Hardest thing is getting back on a strict routine after having quit for a while.

I'll have to be under even 170 lbs to show good abs. I do intermittent fasting to deal with loose skin but it's still somewhat of an issue. I'm not nearly as flabby as some who lost drastically by stomach restriction surgery, but I went from a 48" waist to a 29" waist in about 18 months.
Old 10-14-23, 12:45 PM
pepperbelly
old newbie

Originally Posted by RH Clark
Can you define what realistic means? Personally, low enough body fat for well-defined abs has been my goal, while trying to maintain as much muscle as possible proportionally. I'm 6'3 and I got down to 170lbs for nearly a year. I got injured and gained nearly 40 lbs. over a year and a half. I had surgery to correct the injury and am back down to 185 lbs. I do calisthenics and some yoga and some light free weights, kettlebell. Hardest thing is getting back on a strict routine after having quit for a while.

I'll have to be under even 170 lbs to show good abs. I do intermittent fasting to deal with loose skin but it's still somewhat of an issue. I'm not nearly as flabby as some who lost drastically by stomach restriction surgery, but I went from a 48" waist to a 29" waist in about 18 months.
30 more pounds will put put me right at 200 pounds. 25 more will get me to 175 which would be ideal for me.I am 5’10”.
I am also 65 years old and my body just doesn’t respond the way it used to.
Likes For pepperbelly:
Old 10-14-23, 02:00 PM
RH Clark

30 more pounds will put put me right at 200 pounds. 25 more will get me to 175 which would be ideal for me.I am 5’10”.
I am also 65 years old and my body just doesn’t respond the way it used to.
I get the not responding thing. Look into Autophagy and intermittent fasting. You can drastically increase human growth hormone and testosterone just through fasting. I'm convinced it helped my knees and back tremendously. I had been taking pain pills and getting injections for back and knees for many years. Look into low inflammation diets. You can do a lot through just diet to feel younger. You might get to 175 and decide to go even lower.

I still want to drop about the same as you. I'm doing it by eating a whole food balanced diet within a 4-hour window every day. I might eat two smaller meals or just one but only in a short window. I don't count calories, but I weigh myself every day and adjust my meals according to my Immedient needs and fat loss rate. I would eat more after a good work out and probably less the next day or less if I am not as active, or not losing for several days in a row.
Likes For RH Clark:
Old 10-15-23, 12:52 PM
Goldwinpie

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
dried apricots, nuts and good mineral water have always helped me.
Old 10-16-23, 04:31 PM
RH Clark

Originally Posted by Goldwinpie
dried apricots, nuts and good mineral water have always helped me.
I often make my own snacks. I toast some old-fashioned oats and mash in some dates, raisins, nuts, and low sugar cholate. You can roll it up into little bite sized balls of goodness. At least I can pronounce all the ingredients if I make my own.
Old 10-16-23, 04:56 PM
David_Harris

Bikes: Specialized Allez Sprint Comp

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 410 Times in 150 Posts
Are you doing resistance training as well? I forget what you’ve said.

Do some gross motor movement weights: bench, squat, deadlift, overhead press, pull-ups/lat pulldown, abs. More muscle will burn more calories. Doesn’t have to be body-builder level work, and that will work against your cycling goals anyway, but will help your riding positioning and overall strength, fitness, and daily calorie burning.
Likes For David_Harris:
Old 10-19-23, 09:32 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2587 Post(s)
Liked 5,649 Times in 2,924 Posts
Today I did 46 high intensity miles powered by one Cliff Bar quartered, but only ate 3/4s, and one high energy SIS gummy. Also drank two water bottles of SIS carb drink. Recovery drink upon returning home.

Edit: The next day…. I feel remarkable good with zero leg cramps or tiredness issues even though my head was encrusted in salt at the end of the ride. Don’t know it was the recovery drink or chugging a little pickle juice or what, but have never felt this good after a hard day out. Will try the same method next time, just to see.

Last edited by rsbob; 10-20-23 at 10:42 AM.
Likes For rsbob: