Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

How do you handle a Bicycle Vendetta respectably after 60?

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

How do you handle a Bicycle Vendetta respectably after 60?

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-23, 08:39 PM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

Bikes: Scott Addict R1, Felt Z1

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3432 Post(s)
Liked 3,567 Times in 1,793 Posts
Originally Posted by jadmt
I have found the biggest asses I meet in my rides are the late 50's to late 60's guys that are all kitted out. they are dressed like they are world class racers yet they are going slow on very fast bikes. I try and talk to them as I pass them on my not so fast looking bike and in my not kitted out clothing. I have yet to have one say hi back. I always announce myself saying coming up on your left and always will say hello.
Not responding to a greeting is not being an ass, usually. I say "hello" or "hi" or "how you doing" -- or at least give a little wave, to everyone I overtake. I'd estimate 1 in 20 responds at all.

(I'm one of those 60-somethings kitted out on a fairly racy bike, but I always respond to a greeting. Sometimes riding slow, sometimes not.)

Last edited by terrymorse; 09-12-23 at 08:51 PM.
Likes For terrymorse:
Old 09-13-23, 04:10 PM
gobicycling
Made it to 84 WHOOPIE

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 181 Post(s)
Liked 493 Times in 153 Posts
Some folks ride to get away into their own world. Sometimes I do that. Not everyone is jovial or communicative all the time. Also, sometimes I don't hear what people are saying. Why should this be some terrible sin? I very seldom wave at other Auto drivers. You may be joyful and carefree, the other çyclist may be burdened with some worries and terrible problems that he's trying to think through.

Last edited by gobicycling; 09-13-23 at 04:35 PM.
Likes For gobicycling:
Old 09-14-23, 04:30 AM
BobsPoprad

Bikes: Lemond Poprad, Cervelo Soloist, Cannondale F4, RANS Velocity Squared

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 45 Posts
Originally Posted by rando_couche
Smile, wave, and keep going.
I use this with drivers as well. And add a loud "Thank -you."
Old 09-14-23, 07:27 AM
easyupbug 

Bikes: too many sparkly Italians, some sweet Americans and a couple interesting Japanese

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 589 Times in 412 Posts
At 73 I do what I can to keep my mental balance by staying focused on the good. Just yesterday on a 3 mile climb in the foothills w/o much of a shoulder a pickup oncoming and a loaded 4 horse slant load being pulled by a dually coming up behind me and I all were all gonna meet at the same spot on the narrow roadway and both trucks braked and took turns passing me slowly in the oncoming lane 10' from my bike.
Old 09-17-23, 08:31 AM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2588 Post(s)
Liked 5,649 Times in 2,924 Posts
Originally Posted by AJW2W11E
I was riding hard on the last leg of 25 miles back in July. There's a short 30 degree rocky hill that I have to climb to get home. On a hot day, it's a challenge. After that I must have veered into the left side of the trail and an oncoming bicyclist shouted loudly and cursed at me. (
I've had people veer across my path, and I've never complained. )
I never thought much about it at that time , but the last few weeks I'm starting to see this guy regularly coming my way on rides, riding the same trail as me . He's 60 plus with Grey hair and he's in pretty good shape. Everytime I see him, he shouts loudly at me.
Today I tossed out the famous two word profanity in return to him.
A smarter me would have said nothing and even smiled, but that's easier said than done when you're streaming along briskly and you're using the primal side of your brain.
I regretted it instantly. De- escalation is the best thing to do in conflict. This is really childish. On the other hand a nasty person is a nasty person, and manners don't always work. I have no idea.
Being 60 plus, I do have one mature insight. Everything just rolls along and passes into time and nothing is really significant. This will all pass.
beware painting all over 50 dressed in kit with the same broad brush. This goes for most anything else <- Talk about a broad generalization

Old 09-18-23, 07:37 PM
Road Fan

Bikes: 1980 Masi, 1984 Mondonico, 1984 Trek 610, 1980 Woodrup Giro, 2005 Mondonico Futura Leggera ELOS, 1967 PX10E, 1971 Peugeot UO-8

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 1858 Post(s)
Liked 664 Times in 506 Posts
Originally Posted by big john
I ride a bike path sometimes, too. It's pretty rare that I get ignored but it does happen. I try not to let it bother me.
In the Ann Arbor area some MUPs are regularly friendly places and some are regularly stiff and standoffish, unless you run into a happy group of friends.
Old 09-22-23, 02:31 PM
peterws

Bikes: Carrera Virtuoso and friend

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked 47 Times in 38 Posts
All cyclists can be strange at times. They have their recognised (by them) "give way" rules which nobody else seems to know about.
A young lad, about 11 or 12, walking towards me on the cycle path, in the cycle lane. On his mobile phone, he didn't spot me so I pulled to the right, onto the pedestrian lane, no worries.
He then moves over having finished, so I start to move back and hear a tirade of abuse, amongst which was "Use the ****** cycle lane!"
The young aren't so much taught to be assertive. They're just not disciplined these days, or encouraged to be dominant wherever they go.
It's a philosophy, I suppose, to ensure survival in a criminally inspired landscape.
Oh! The joys of thinking you know it all . . . . .
Old 09-23-23, 01:59 PM
Joe Bikerider

Bikes: 1969 Peugeot PX10, 1992 Della Santa, Linus Roadster 8, Biria 700C ST-8

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 794 Post(s)
Liked 508 Times in 322 Posts
In the San Francisco Bay Area we get a lot of Indian people and that's not the problem. The problem is that they are used to walking/driving on the "wrong" side of the road. Yes, they still follow the original British rules. There are lots of countries that started that way but changed later. In my case the the Indian engineers that are hired by the Google/Oracle/etc big companies are not directly the problem, it's the grandmas/uncles/nannies/etc that they bring along on whatever the rules allow. These people like to get out for a walk/run on our local paths. Fine, but someone should remind them what side of the road/path we use. Like this morning riding along and I encountered a woman walking on the left and chatting away on her phone. On a Saturday this path is pretty busy and I couldn't easily find an easy way around. So I yelled "you are walking on the wrong side" as I dodged around the incoming walkers and passed. I suppose her reaction was something like "these Americans are pretty weird". When I was stationed overseas on a U.S. government post we got some information about the new culture. I wonder if the Indian contractors that send people "over here" take similar precautions?
Old 09-25-23, 07:19 AM
boozergut

Bikes: Kona Dew, Gary Fisher Paragon, Salsa Campeon

Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked 128 Times in 81 Posts
Originally Posted by Joe Bikerider
In the San Francisco Bay Area we get a lot of Indian people and that's not the problem. The problem is that they are used to walking/driving on the "wrong" side of the road. Yes, they still follow the original British rules. There are lots of countries that started that way but changed later. In my case the the Indian engineers that are hired by the Google/Oracle/etc big companies are not directly the problem, it's the grandmas/uncles/nannies/etc that they bring along on whatever the rules allow. These people like to get out for a walk/run on our local paths. Fine, but someone should remind them what side of the road/path we use. Like this morning riding along and I encountered a woman walking on the left and chatting away on her phone. On a Saturday this path is pretty busy and I couldn't easily find an easy way around. So I yelled "you are walking on the wrong side" as I dodged around the incoming walkers and passed. I suppose her reaction was something like "these Americans are pretty weird". When I was stationed overseas on a U.S. government post we got some information about the new culture. I wonder if the Indian contractors that send people "over here" take similar precautions?
As someone who is married to an Asian-South Indian I find your post a bit irritating. Maybe instead of yelling you could take a minute to talk to the old aunties and uncles. You would likely find them to be the nicest people of your weekly encounters. If thats too much trouble a simple smile and a "Namaskar, hutt-oh, hutt-oh".......would likely be more effective than yelling "you are walking on the wrong side!"......
Old 09-25-23, 04:03 PM
Black wallnut 

Bikes: Schwinn Broadway, Specialized Secteur Sport(crashed) Spec. Roubaix Sport, Spec. Crux

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 179 Post(s)
Liked 169 Times in 84 Posts
I have found the biggest asses I meet in my rides are the late 50's to late 60's guys that are all kitted out. they are dressed like they are world class racers yet they are going slow on very fast bikes. snip.
You get ignored and make judgements as to to a persons character. Seems to me you have disdain for cyclists that dress the part and spend their money on nice bikes.

Reminds me of the threads in the Road sub forum about nobody waves at me... from many years ago.

OP maybe try giving him the L for "love"
Old 09-25-23, 06:53 PM
Joe Bikerider

Bikes: 1969 Peugeot PX10, 1992 Della Santa, Linus Roadster 8, Biria 700C ST-8

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 794 Post(s)
Liked 508 Times in 322 Posts
Originally Posted by boozergut
As someone who is married to an Asian-South Indian I find your post a bit irritating!"......
I myself am married to a Pakistani woman and am very familiar with the whole Auntie/Uncle relative structure that comes with it. There are lots of the signs along the path about where to ride and walk. In this particular case on a busy weekend morning i was feeling stressed by the mass of oncoming walkers and riders. That’s why I usually stay at home on the weekends. Good luck to you and yours.
Old 09-27-23, 11:47 AM
Eddy_G 

Bikes: Waterford R-33, Salsa Journeyman Apex

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 7 Posts
I have found the biggest asses I meet in my rides are the late 50's to late 60's guys that are all kitted out. they are dressed like they are world class racers yet they are going slow on very fast bikes. I try and talk to them as I pass them on my not so fast looking bike and in my not kitted out clothing. I have yet to have one say hi back. I always announce myself saying coming up on your left and always will say hello. One day i passed a guy who obviously looked fit had a little gray pony tail and I ended up getting caught at a light and before the light changed he pulled up and I said great day for a ride and he would not even look at me and took off like a bolt when the light changed and I passed him again and said F' you. I have passed that same guy several times since that day and now he will at least acknowledge me when I pass him. I think he thought I was on an electric bike or something. I am a fat beer drinking 65 yoa who rides a fat tired slow looking bike but I have pretty good legs still lol.
Those guys are called....triathletes.