Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

e-Bikes Should Be More Popular

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-24, 10:53 AM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 560 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22610 Post(s)
Liked 8,934 Times in 4,164 Posts

e-bikes

It's the best thing.
It so drastically reduces work effort that it saves watts compared to other methods.
It minimises chain, cassette and chain ring wear and costs so little per charge that it offers a significant return on investment.
It is easy and requires less work than any other way of pedaling when defined as 'total time spent pushing the pedals'
Pedaling without assist is hard and leaves traces of salty sweat which flake off and cause a mess.
There we have benefits for all the boy racers, retrogrouches, MAMILs, show offs, and compulsive riders.

Some people assume the set up is difficult or expensive to purchase, but it is not.
Other people think explosive combustible batteries don't work better, but they are still asleep.
Many people think it is more time consuming than what they are used to, but it is the opposite because your average speed will soar.

So what's going on?

Shops not wanting to sell e-bikes I understand, but among people interested enough to sign up to a cycling forum, this should be so popular.

Let's talk about it.

Last edited by datlas; 04-01-24 at 12:08 PM.
Old 04-01-24, 10:59 AM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3241 Post(s)
Liked 2,512 Times in 1,510 Posts
Originally Posted by datlas
e-bikes

It's the best thing.
It so drastically reduces work effort that it saves watts compared to other methods.
It minimises chain, cassette and chain ring wear and costs so little per charge that it offers a significant return on investment.
It is easy and requires less work than any other way of pedling when defined as 'total time spent pushing the pedals'
Pedaling without assist is hard and leaves traces of salty sweat which flake off and cause a mess.
There we have benefits for all the boy racers, retrogrouches, MAMILs, show offs, and compulsive riders.

Some people assume the set up is difficult or expensive to purchase, but it is not.
Other people think explosive combustible batteries don't work better, but they are still asleep.
Many people think it is more time consuming than what they are used to, but it is the opposite because your average speed will soar.

So what's going on?

Shops not wanting to sell e-bikes I understand, but among people interested enough to sign up to a cycling forum, this should be so popular.

Let's talk about it.
I think the reason they're not more popular is because E Bike manufacturers/distributers recommend(but not specify) that you must use a chain that has been immersively waxed. I read that on the web somewhere.

Also, people list a lot of lame excuses for riding one, but actually having a bad leg/legs is never listed as a reason.

Last edited by seypat; 04-01-24 at 11:02 AM.
Old 04-01-24, 11:09 AM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3245 Post(s)
Liked 2,093 Times in 1,185 Posts
Is reducing work effort the goal ?. It’s not for me. I ride a bike to get exercise. Adding an electric motor reduces the exercise I get. No thanks.
Likes For Steve B.:
Old 04-01-24, 11:09 AM
Mojo31
-------

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 9656 Post(s)
Liked 6,366 Times in 3,506 Posts
It's not about being a boy racer, it's about keeping up with them.
Likes For Mojo31:
Old 04-01-24, 11:12 AM
Mojo31
-------

Originally Posted by Steve B.
Is reducing work effort the goal ?. It’s not for me. I ride a bike to get exercise. Adding an electric motor reduces the exercise I get. No thanks.
Can't it just be for getting a bit more speed and distance but still using the effort that is used on a non-powered bike?

I just can't maintain 18-20 mph for 40 miles anymore.
Old 04-01-24, 11:18 AM
seypat

Is vanity the #1 reason for getting an E bike? Some people have a hard time accepting their declining performance. I remember one BFer that no longer posts who tried just about everything to stay in his faster group. He'd start these threads about trying to justify the various things he was doing. The threads were well thought out, but it got pathethic after a while.

Edit:

Last edited by seypat; 04-01-24 at 11:27 AM.
Old 04-01-24, 11:21 AM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

Bikes: Scott Addict R1, Felt Z1

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 3432 Post(s)
Liked 3,567 Times in 1,793 Posts

Likes For terrymorse:
Old 04-01-24, 11:25 AM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4428 Post(s)
Liked 4,880 Times in 3,021 Posts
Originally Posted by Mojo31
Can't it just be for getting a bit more speed and distance but still using the effort that is used on a non-powered bike?

I just can't maintain 18-20 mph for 40 miles anymore.
Yeah, I hear they are quite popular for touring the Alpes. Not everyone weighs 60 kg with a 400W FTP.
Old 04-01-24, 11:31 AM
PeteHski

Originally Posted by seypat
Is vanity the #1 reason for getting an E bike? Some people have a hard time accepting their declining performance. I remember one BFer that no longer posts who tried just about everything to stay in his faster group. He's start these threads about trying to justify the various things he was doing. The threads were well thought out, but it got pathethic after a while.

Edit:
I'm not sure about that, but I would say vanity is the #1 reason why some bikers hate them. I know a couple of people who ride e-bikes for reasons that have nothing to do with vanity. One of them commutes 40 miles on hilly roads and uses his e-bike to turn it into a Z2 training ride. He's pretty quick when riding a regular bike.
Old 04-01-24, 11:41 AM
bampilot06

Bikes: Madone, Emonda, 5500, Ritchey Breakaway

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 10238 Post(s)
Liked 5,189 Times in 2,226 Posts
Would love Larry’s opinion.
Likes For bampilot06:
Old 04-01-24, 12:02 PM
BillyD
Administrator

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene '04; Bridgestone RB-1 '92

Mentioned: 325 Post(s)
Quoted: 11975 Post(s)
Liked 6,655 Times in 3,486 Posts
tl;dr
Likes For BillyD:
Old 04-01-24, 01:03 PM
Rick_D

Bikes: Litespeed Firenze, Spot Acme, Specialzed S Works Pro Race, Davidson Stiletto, Colnago Superissimo

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 133 Post(s)
Liked 304 Times in 174 Posts
I note the date and applaud the OP, not just for the post but not including waxing the chain. :-)

In the same spirit, Velo Orange has posted a proven weight-saving trick video.
Likes For Rick_D:
Old 04-01-24, 01:07 PM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3245 Post(s)
Liked 2,093 Times in 1,185 Posts
Originally Posted by PeteHski
I'm not sure about that, but I would say vanity is the #1 reason why some bikers hate them. I know a couple of people who ride e-bikes for reasons that have nothing to do with vanity. One of them commutes 40 miles on hilly roads and uses his e-bike to turn it into a Z2 training ride. He's pretty quick when riding a regular bike.
I have no hate for e-bikes, excepting the powerful throttle models I see folks use (illegally) on our mt. bike trails, doing trail damage in the process. For folks owning the pedal assist models, I just wonder if they realize they get better exercise on a regular bike and only purchased an e-bike thinking it would get them out riding more often. Commuting longer distances I can see the rational, same with having medical issues that make the e-bike make sense. Otherwise, get a regular bike.
Old 04-01-24, 01:08 PM
MoAlpha
• —

Bikes: Shmikes

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 10176 Post(s)
Liked 5,873 Times in 3,161 Posts
I want to get an ebike, but I am worried about riding it on the interstate highway and having the battery die between exits.
Old 04-01-24, 01:27 PM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

Bikes: road, track, mtb

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 2641 Post(s)
Liked 3,153 Times in 1,660 Posts
I have no hate for e-bikes, excepting the powerful throttle models I see folks use (illegally) on our mt. bike trails, doing trail damage in the process. For folks owning the pedal assist models, I just wonder if they realize they get better exercise on a regular bike and only purchased an e-bike thinking it would get them out riding more often. Commuting longer distances I can see the rational, same with having medical issues that make the e-bike make sense. Otherwise, get a regular bike.
Same - throttle models on MTB trails are the only avenue where I am anti E-bike. SDMBA (our local IMBA chapter) is anti-e-bike as well for this reason.

Outside of that? Really whatever gets more people out riding on bikes is a good thing IMO. Eventually that equates to more representation, and things like improved cycling infrastructure follow suit. For commuting? Even better, I am 110% supportive of this.
Old 04-01-24, 02:14 PM
Aubergine 
Bad example

Bikes: Peugeot: AO-8 1973, PA-10 1971, PR-10 1973, Sante 1988; Masi Gran Criterium 1975, Stevenson Tourer 1980, Stevenson Criterium 1981, Schwinn Paramount 1972, Rodriguez 2006, Gitane Federal ~1975, Holdsworth Pro, Follis 172 ~1973, Bianchi '62

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 828 Post(s)
Liked 215 Times in 98 Posts
Seattle is quite hilly and lots of folks get e bikes for a little help up the hills. And families with kids often use e-bikes as a car replacement. I think that overall they are a positive option.
Old 04-01-24, 02:43 PM
PeteHski

For folks owning the pedal assist models, I just wonder if they realize they get better exercise on a regular bike and only purchased an e-bike thinking it would get them out riding more often.
It depends what your idea of “better” exercise is. Whenever I see people walking their bikes up steep hills (which I see quite often on my local hills) I wonder if they would get “better” exercise on an e-bike. Or at least be cycling rather than walking and awkwardly pushing a bike.

Ultimately the amount of exercise depends on how much you push yourself with or without motor assist. An e-bike actually gives you more options as you can adjust the amount of pedal assist. Sometimes you might not want to be over-reaching on the climbs. Or maybe you are simply not built as a climber and using the bike for cross-training eg heavyweight boxer or rower.

An e-bike might make more sense for these people and situations, whether we normal cyclists can see it or not. For example I was jra one day during the pandemic lockdown and came across a guy who was built like a competitive power lifter. He was certainly well north of 100 kg with arms like tree trunks. He was on a normal road bike and crawling up a moderately steep hill, barely able to turn the cranks over. A pedal assist e-bike would have been ideal for this guy to get up and over the hill at a sensible speed and cadence.
Old 04-01-24, 03:13 PM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

Bikes: Trek FX 2, Cannondale Synapse, Cannondale CAAD4, Santa Cruz Stigmata GRX

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1953 Post(s)
Liked 1,475 Times in 1,022 Posts
Throttle e-bikes, especially Super 73 models, already seem pretty popular in my area. I suppose they would get even more popular if the police further discourages kids and teens from carrying a passenger; that way, the passengers may decide they need to have their own too.
Old 04-01-24, 05:23 PM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 560 Post(s)
Quoted: 22610 Post(s)
Liked 8,934 Times in 4,164 Posts
Originally Posted by bampilot06
Would love Larry’s opinion.
Should you ride an e-bike with or without a shirt?
Likes For datlas:
Old 04-01-24, 05:24 PM
Chandne

Bikes: 2022 Moots RCS, 2014 BMC SLR01 DA Mech, 2020 Santa Cruz Stigmata, Ibis Ripmo, Trek Top Fuel, Specialized Levo SL, Norco Bigfoot VLT

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 464 Post(s)
Liked 182 Times in 118 Posts
I use my ebikes for recovery rides of long tough rides when I am not wanting to get crushed....road and mountain. Love them though they still comprise a minority of my riding,
Old 04-01-24, 05:28 PM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Quoted: 5888 Post(s)
Liked 3,472 Times in 2,079 Posts
Wait people on bike forums are turning down the chance to buy one more bike? Really? This place is falling apart.
Old 04-01-24, 05:33 PM
seypat

What about the "cyclists love to suffer" BS people are always spouting on here?
Old 04-01-24, 06:22 PM
MoAlpha
• —

Originally Posted by datlas
Should you ride an e-bike with or without a shirt?
A shirt? I ride without pants because I think bike clothes are ridiculous and I smoke guys in Lycra all the time. What kind of e-bike comes with a genuine shearling saddle?
Likes For MoAlpha:
Old 04-01-24, 07:09 PM
Mojo31
-------

Originally Posted by MoAlpha
A shirt? I ride without pants because I think bike clothes are ridiculous and I smoke guys in Lycra all the time. What kind of e-bike comes with a genuine shearling saddle?
Amazon is your friend - just change the saddle.

https://www.amazon.com/Genuine-Sheep...e9df59aa9b9a8c
Old 04-01-24, 07:14 PM
MoAlpha
• —

Originally Posted by Mojo31
Amazon is your friend - just change the saddle.

https://www.amazon.com/Genuine-Sheep...e9df59aa9b9a8c
I don’t have a torque wrench.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.