Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Immersive waxing / it should be more popular

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Immersive waxing / it should be more popular

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-22, 08:50 PM
yaw
should be more popular

Bikes: 22 Emonda

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked 167 Times in 84 Posts
Originally Posted by Lombard
I use the most accurate chain wear indicator there is.........a ruler. I can tell you the only reason I replaced my chain at a little over 6K miles is that it was getting a stiff link I couldn't work out. At that time, there was no noticeable wear. It would have lasted another 6K miles had it not been for the stiff link.

Unless you regularly ride in foul weather, 2,500-3,500 miles is pathetic. I used to get that with wax lubes. Granted that hot wax is probably better than bottle wax lubes, but I doubt you will have better longevity than with oil lubes used correctly.
We could debate whether a ruler is better than a digital caliper, or a laser cut metal drop in chain checker that holds tension.

I agree that the drip on wax was pathetic - I was really disappointed when the checker dismissed the chain so early. It was also annoying to live with, requiring frequent re-application, wiping, chain cleaning, drivetrain cleaning. It actually had to be heated up a bit and massaged in to really penetrate. There was either to little within the chain or an excess that gunked up the drivetrain. While better than oil when getting on hands, it would still smear and require hand washing when touched. Fortunately, the type of waxing this thread is about is not at all related to the Squirt and Smoove type drip on waxes, so it does not weigh into the conversation at all. If someone was to steal my wax pot and ban me from purchasing them ever again, I would give the Silca and UFO drips a try, these seem to penetrate better and dry more solid than those goo waxes.

Further, I am not sure why you doubt that hot wax gives better longevity given plenty of anecdotal and testing evidence to the contrary. What exactly are you basing your doubts on? It does not seem to be experience, data, or logical reasoning. Scroll up and look how clean that chain looks when pulling it out of the hot wax. It gets reset to no discernible contamination each time. It does not even change in appearance when on the bike across several rides. It does not attract and carry in particles like wet lubes. The wax is guaranteed to coat all metal parts through full immersion and avoids metal to metal contact to the greatest extent when in operation.

I am not saying that oil does not lubricate. It does, but it certainly attracts and carries dirt, quickly degrading performance. It would also require significant cleaning efforts to reset to anywhere near the same standard, involving degreasers and ideally taking the chain off just the same for solvent shakes. I've got all those on-bike chain cleaner contraptions, they do not deep clean the chain. If someone just wipes the outside of the chain and adds more oil and wipes a bit more, there's not even a need to discuss for lack of comparability.

Last edited by yaw; 12-11-22 at 09:03 PM.
Old 12-12-22, 04:43 PM
Lombard
Sock Puppet

Bikes: 2014 Cannondale Synapse Carbon, 2017 Jamis Renegade Exploit and too many others to mention.

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1031 Post(s)
Liked 863 Times in 573 Posts
Originally Posted by yaw
Further, I am not sure why you doubt that hot wax gives better longevity given plenty of anecdotal and testing evidence to the contrary. What exactly are you basing your doubts on?
Well first off, it appears the tests are done by someone who wants you to buy their formula. Second, so far amid all the claims that you make that hot wax makes your chain last longer, neither you nor any other hot wax users have any data on how many miles any of these hot waxed chains lasted before needing to be replaced. And watt savings? Give me a break! If watt savings are so significant, why aren't pro teams using hot wax on their chains?

Originally Posted by yaw
I am not saying that oil does not lubricate. It does, but it certainly attracts and carries dirt, quickly degrading performance. It would also require significant cleaning efforts to reset to anywhere near the same standard, involving degreasers and ideally taking the chain off just the same for solvent shakes. I've got all those on-bike chain cleaner contraptions, they do not deep clean the chain.
Did you miss the part where I said my chain never comes off my bike until it's time to replace it? And no, I don't use those chain cleaner contraptions either. They are a splattery mess.

Originally Posted by yaw
If someone just wipes the outside of the chain and adds more oil and wipes a bit more, there's not even a need to discuss for lack of comparability.
This is what I do. The mineral spirits in the 50/50 homebrew I use acts as a cleaner. No, it will never be squeaky clean, but it's clean enough for me and clean enough to get 10K miles out of. And don't start with the "grinding paste" thing. You think road dirt doesn't get into your hot waxed chains after a ride or two? We don't ride our bikes in an sterile operating room.

BTW, how often do you perform this hot wax ritual on your chains? I lube only every 500 miles. Can your hot wax last that long?
Old 12-12-22, 04:48 PM
DaveSSS 

Bikes: Cinelli superstar disc, two Yoeleo R12

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1098 Post(s)
Liked 559 Times in 446 Posts
I used homebrew oil/mineral spirits for several years. Nasty dirty chain and cassette. Never again. Home brew liquid wax for me. I've used it for several years now. Cleanest drive train ever.
Likes For DaveSSS:
Old 12-12-22, 04:57 PM
asgelle

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Liked 451 Times in 265 Posts
If watt savings are so significant, why aren't pro teams using hot wax on their chains?
Didn't Pat Moynihan have something to say about opinions and facts.
Old 12-12-22, 05:38 PM
Lombard
Sock Puppet

Bikes: 2014 Cannondale Synapse Carbon, 2017 Jamis Renegade Exploit and too many others to mention.

Originally Posted by asgelle
"You are entitled to your own opinions. You are not entitled to your own facts".
Old 12-12-22, 07:24 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
Originally Posted by asgelle
Maybe.
Old 12-12-22, 09:08 PM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 3241 Post(s)
Liked 2,512 Times in 1,510 Posts
The candle keeps right on burning.
Old 12-12-22, 11:18 PM
yaw
should be more popular

Well first off, it appears the tests are done by someone who wants you to buy their formula. Second, so far amid all the claims that you make that hot wax makes your chain last longer, neither you nor any other hot wax users have any data on how many miles any of these hot waxed chains lasted before needing to be replaced. And watt savings? Give me a break! If watt savings are so significant, why aren't pro teams using hot wax on their chains?
You just believe in your assumptions without caring to perform the slightest fact checks.

The person doing those tests does not have a formula to sell, they stock a bunch of product that has tested well and they get paid to benchmark lubes for several known manufacturers. That's all pretty honestly and transparently disclosed, as it should be.

Pros certainly do wax their chains, even I know that, and I don't give a crap about pro cycling. There are waxed chains at the tour, there are waxed chains at the olympics.

Maybe this one is for you:

Old 12-13-22, 07:04 AM
Lombard
Sock Puppet

Originally Posted by yaw
You just believe in your assumptions without caring to perform the slightest fact checks.

The person doing those tests does not have a formula to sell, they stock a bunch of product that has tested well and they get paid to benchmark lubes for several known manufacturers. That's all pretty honestly and transparently disclosed, as it should be.

Pros certainly do wax their chains, even I know that, and I don't give a crap about pro cycling. There are waxed chains at the tour, there are waxed chains at the olympics.

Maybe this one is for you: https://youtu.be/httL2SI2Vmc
But you didn't answer the question: How many miles do you ride in between your hot wax rituals?

Last edited by Lombard; 12-13-22 at 07:12 AM.
Old 12-13-22, 08:04 AM
spelger

Bikes: yes, i have one

Quoted: 1139 Post(s)
Liked 1,182 Times in 687 Posts
For what it's worth I ride 7000 mi/yr and wax once a month.
Old 12-13-22, 10:07 AM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 3241 Post(s)
Liked 2,512 Times in 1,510 Posts
This sure looks easy and endorsed by pro riders. You don't even have to squeeze any lemons. I posted it earlier in the thread. The WD40 Gel Lube I tried on my forklift mast chains is working great!

https://www.google.com/search?q=wd40...id:LWj0mWaE_pA

Old 12-13-22, 11:31 AM
Branko D

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 338 Post(s)
Liked 408 Times in 252 Posts
"I've never tested but I don't believe the tests by people who did, so it can't be true." is a really incomprehensible sentiment.
Old 12-13-22, 02:49 PM
SpedFast
Just Pedaling

Bikes: YEP!

Quoted: 334 Post(s)
Liked 522 Times in 348 Posts
I don't wax because it's easier or better. I simply enjoy it and find it relaxing. Added benefit of no chain stains. If you don't like working on your bike to begin with, you probably won't like waxing.
Likes For SpedFast:
Old 12-13-22, 04:15 PM
Lombard
Sock Puppet

Originally Posted by SpedFast
I don't wax because it's easier or better. I simply enjoy it and find it relaxing. Added benefit of no chain stains. If you don't like working on your bike to begin with, you probably won't like waxing.
I do enjoy working on my bike to a degree. I don't enjoy making unnecessary work on my bike.
Likes For Lombard:
Old 12-13-22, 10:38 PM
yaw
should be more popular

But you didn't answer the question: How many miles do you ride in between your hot wax rituals?
Another thing you do is completely ignore evidence that exposed your ignorance to then latch onto the thing that has not been answered as if that point had any value.

Three reasons why I ignored your question:
1. I don't care about how long you ride your motor oil chain because we do not have the same standards. You may ride it for seventeen full moons and buy a new one every sixth leap year when your ruler-eyeball measurement says it's done, whilst wiping it externally here and there and calling it cleaned. So your baseline is meaningless. Not a benchmark. Not a contest.
2. There has been ample discussion about how many hundreds of kms or miles people generally go on their waxed chains. Spelger just matched/exceeded your lube intervals in his response. For more, read through/search this thread or other resources, google it, find some third party facts instead of assumptions. Prepare for dissonance.
3. In practice, I personally do not go by any 'x km' rule because when I swap chains is dictated by when I feel my bike is dirty enough to need a clean. This means that I take my chains off when cleaning my bike, which is great for sponge access and helps inspect jockey wheel and bottom bracket smoothness, and when it has dried I put a freshly waxed chain on. At any given time I have one or two pre-waxed chains snailed up in a drawer, it is never an issue. I never once put on a new chain on because the previous was done because my bike clean intervals are more frequent than a waxed chain would wear out, going by people's distance reports.

So there you have it.

First you thought hot wax was drip wax and needed to be wiped so as not to create a mess, so you didn't actually know what this was about. Then you thought hot wax chains don't last as long, and that application had to be more frequent, but got proven wrong by test results and responses from people that do it. Then you laughed at watt savings and asked why no pros are doing this, but a pro in a video dismissed that.

What next?
Old 12-14-22, 02:47 AM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3956 Post(s)
Liked 7,308 Times in 2,949 Posts
Originally Posted by yaw
What next?
Presumably, the sermon will continue ...
Old 12-14-22, 03:09 AM
yaw
should be more popular

Originally Posted by tomato coupe
Church is made up but wax is the truth!
Old 12-14-22, 06:55 AM
Lombard
Sock Puppet

Originally Posted by yaw
Another thing you do is completely ignore evidence that exposed your ignorance to then latch onto the thing that has not been answered as if that point had any value.

Three reasons why I ignored your question:
1. I don't care about how long you ride your motor oil chain because we do not have the same standards. You may ride it for seventeen full moons and buy a new one every sixth leap year when your ruler-eyeball measurement says it's done, whilst wiping it externally here and there and calling it cleaned. So your baseline is meaningless. Not a benchmark. Not a contest.
2. There has been ample discussion about how many hundreds of kms or miles people generally go on their waxed chains. Spelger just matched/exceeded your lube intervals in his response. For more, read through/search this thread or other resources, google it, find some third party facts instead of assumptions. Prepare for dissonance.
3. In practice, I personally do not go by any 'x km' rule because when I swap chains is dictated by when I feel my bike is dirty enough to need a clean. This means that I take my chains off when cleaning my bike, which is great for sponge access and helps inspect jockey wheel and bottom bracket smoothness, and when it has dried I put a freshly waxed chain on. At any given time I have one or two pre-waxed chains snailed up in a drawer, it is never an issue. I never once put on a new chain on because the previous was done because my bike clean intervals are more frequent than a waxed chain would wear out, going by people's distance reports.

So there you have it.

First you thought hot wax was drip wax and needed to be wiped so as not to create a mess, so you didn't actually know what this was about. Then you thought hot wax chains don't last as long, and that application had to be more frequent, but got proven wrong by test results and responses from people that do it. Then you laughed at watt savings and asked why no pros are doing this, but a pro in a video dismissed that.

What next?
So IOW, you have no idea how many miles/km you get in between your hot wax rituals. And you don't care. Got it! Sounds like religion to me. Yes, Spelger matched my lube intervals in his response, with much more work and obsession. And please don't put words in my mouth. I never thought hot wax was drip wax - liar. I could go on and on, but I'm not as obsessive as you are about this stuff. It doesn't sound like I could get significantly more life out of my chains or significantly longer intervals between lubing with your hot wax ritual, so not for me.

Originally Posted by tomato coupe
Originally Posted by yaw
Church is made up but wax is the truth!
The Church of Wax Town?
Old 12-14-22, 09:14 AM
pallen
Descends like a rock

Bikes: Scott Foil, Surly Pacer

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 8 Posts
I am amazed at the strong opinions on this.
I do the wax dip on my commuter because the chain stays cleaner. I'll probably do the same on my road bike when it's time for a new chain because I like clean.
I've used all kinds of lube on my chains over the decades - can't really tell a difference as far as longevity of the chain for my riding. I replace chains every few years, so it's not a big hardship either way.
Likes For pallen:
Old 12-14-22, 10:27 AM
Lombard
Sock Puppet

Originally Posted by pallen
I am amazed at the strong opinions on this.
You're new, right?
Likes For Lombard:
Old 12-14-22, 10:30 AM
pallen
Descends like a rock

Bikes: Scott Foil, Surly Pacer

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 8 Posts
You're new, right?
Since 2010, but I haven't been around much lately - out in the real world too much, I guess
Likes For pallen:
Old 12-14-22, 11:12 AM
spelger

Bikes: yes, i have one

Quoted: 1139 Post(s)
Liked 1,182 Times in 687 Posts
although i do the hot wax stuff i don't do it to get any more life out of the chain or the rest of the DT. in fact, i really don't know if anything is lasting longer and don't really care. i do it mainly because i like the cleanliness of the whole DT and also when i take the chain off i can clean other bits of the bike much easier.
Likes For spelger:
Old 12-17-22, 12:55 AM
Symox

Bikes: '23 Poseidon Redwood, '07 Specialized Roubaix Comp Triple, '12 Gravity Fixie, '21 Liv Rove 4, '06? Giant EB Spirit

Quoted: 345 Post(s)
Liked 237 Times in 151 Posts
Plain old gulf wax

Works great

love the cleanliness of the drivetrain and how easy upkeep is

also love how long I can go between re-waxing (300-500 miles so far)

shifting and running the chain is buttery

not sure about saved watts, but I *think* I feel better power transfer. Probably placebo effect

not sure about making drivetrain last longer but the cleanliness supports the claims since dirt usually causes much of the component wear.

i like working on my bike and find chain waxing to help in many ways. Never going back to oil unless I ride in the rain alot
Likes For Symox:
Old 12-17-22, 02:18 AM
Racing Dan

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1335 Post(s)
Liked 318 Times in 216 Posts
Wet and salty winter roads + waxed chain = ruined chain in no time flat, unless you are really anal about washing, cleaning and reapplying every day. In that sort of conditions ordinary auoto engine oil is by far the better choice.
Likes For Racing Dan:
Old 12-17-22, 07:29 AM
Lombard
Sock Puppet

Originally Posted by Symox
not sure about saved watts, but I *think* I feel better power transfer. Probably placebo effect
I wish I could take credit for this one from this thread:

https://www.bikeforums.net/general-c...arthing-3.html

Originally Posted by Crash2Much
Research has proven placebos work very well.
Likes For Lombard:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.