Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Tell me about Shimano quiet hubs

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-23, 11:25 AM
Cead_tinne
nothing better

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

My daughter and I built a wheel using a Shimano FH-M9111XTR hub. That thing is SUPER quiet when she is coasting down hills, I love it. They are so much quieter than the Shimano XT FH-M8110 i have on my bike. I'd like to build another set of wheels that are quiet like my daughters, but I'm finding a lot of different info, some times conflicting info, about Shimano hubs and noise. Some articles say these hubs are really prone to failure, and Shimano quietly dropped that technology. SO is that technology gone? SHould hubs like be avoided for larger heavier riders?
Old 10-20-23, 04:18 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6196 Post(s)
Liked 4,810 Times in 3,318 Posts
I haven't heard anything about Shimano's current offerings having any issues. Might just be that some people want the noisy hubs. There have been plenty of posts here where some ask if their free hub has a problem because it doesn't make noise when coasting. And that gets offset equally by others that write in wondering why their FH is making so much noise after they get a new wheelset or new bike.. Some have claimed the other companies engage quicker when starting to pedal after coasting. That's a stretch for me. I've never known that to be an issue that I can even perceive the difference.
Old 10-21-23, 06:34 AM
tcs
Palmer

Bikes: Mike Melton custom, Alex Moulton AM, Dahon Curl

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 1670 Post(s)
Liked 1,825 Times in 1,062 Posts
Back in the 90s Shimano came out with Silent Freehubs that used roller clutches instead of ratchet pawls. You know, one of Shimano's new great things.

There were dead silent, I'll give 'em that. Didn't catch on; seems roadies actually like freehubs that "roll good with angry bee sound™️".

The big S continued to market these freehubs as part of their law enforcement bike parts group for many years. (???) And they migrated the roller clutch tech in some of their upmarket internal gear hubs. There's a bit of a mushy feel as they take up, and an infinitesimal increase in drag which IGH users take as a sign of quality because Shimano.
Old 10-21-23, 07:18 AM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8285 Post(s)
Liked 9,053 Times in 4,479 Posts
Shimano had a hub design called "Scylence" which had problems and was discontinued, at least for now. They also had a fire in one of their plants causing problems.

Shimano road hubs can be very quiet, even before that design. I have Ultegra 6600 hubs on one bike and it is about as quiet as any hub I have had.
Old 10-21-23, 09:20 AM
Ironfish653
Dirty Heathen

Bikes: 1997 Cannondale, 1976 Bridgestone, 1998 SoftRide, 1989 Klein, 1989 Black Lightning #0033

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 889 Post(s)
Liked 906 Times in 534 Posts
Even before the "Silent Design" hubs @tcs mentioned; Shimano freehubs have been quiet, particularly at the 105/XT levels and higher.
In the late 80s, the 6/7/8 transition era, you had a much higher mix of freewheels and cassette freehubs on the showroom floor. Freewheels click; so Shimano freehubs were made to run quietly to demonstrate their upmarket status over the less expensive freewheel equipped models.

I have some 90s XT and RSX hubs that are pretty close to silent, and some 00s WH-500 wheels that tick, faintly, but you have to listen hard to hear it over the background noise once you're on the road

I think the modern trend for loud hubs is akin to louder exhaust systems on performance cars; it may not make much difference, but it lets everyone know that this is the "Sporty" model.
Old 10-21-23, 09:28 AM
Paul_P

Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 28 Posts
Originally Posted by tcs
There were dead silent, I'll give 'em that. Didn't catch on; seems roadies actually like freehubs that "roll good with angry bee sound™️".
A long time ago, not knowing any better, I greased the internals of a Suntour freewheel before reassembling.
It was dead quiet from then on, but didn't affect performance in any way I could tell.

This summer it occured to me that roadies don't need bells to get people out of their way. They just have to stop pedaling for a second or two.
Old 10-21-23, 04:14 PM
katsup

Bikes: 1995 ParkPre Pro 825 2021 Soma Fog Cutter v2 and 2021 Cotic SolarisMax

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 607 Post(s)
Liked 560 Times in 318 Posts
I've heard that Shimano quietly change the modern quiet hub. I think there was an XT and XTR one. The assumption online was because they broke easily, which is probably what you read.

I prefer a quiet hub and run Shimano cup and cone hubs on 3/4 of my bikes. The mid 90s xtr hub is by far the quietest when compared to the 11sp xt and grx hubs, which aren't very loud. I've never owned one of the modern quiet hubs like your daughter has.
Old 10-21-23, 05:07 PM
phughes

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1034 Post(s)
Liked 1,292 Times in 744 Posts
Originally Posted by Iride01
I haven't heard anything about Shimano's current offerings having any issues. Might just be that some people want the noisy hubs. There have been plenty of posts here where some ask if their free hub has a problem because it doesn't make noise when coasting. And that gets offset equally by others that write in wondering why their FH is making so much noise after they get a new wheelset or new bike.. Some have claimed the other companies engage quicker when starting to pedal after coasting. That's a stretch for me. I've never known that to be an issue that I can even perceive the difference.
For those wanting a noisy hub, Onyx is the way to go. Very noisy, but very nice hubs.
Old 10-21-23, 05:36 PM
Chandne

Bikes: 2022 Moots RCS, 2014 BMC SLR01 DA Mech, 2020 Santa Cruz Stigmata, Ibis Ripmo, Trek Top Fuel, Specialized Levo SL, Norco Bigfoot VLT

Quoted: 464 Post(s)
Liked 182 Times in 118 Posts
Originally Posted by phughes
For those wanting a noisy hub, Onyx is the way to go. Very noisy, but very nice hubs.
Say what? Onyx hubs are silent...as in totally silent. If you want noisy, try the new DT 240EXPs. I am not sure if Shimano even makes any mid-high end aftermarket hubs.
Likes For Chandne:
Old 10-21-23, 07:23 PM
Cead_tinne
nothing better

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Talked to a bicycle shop mechanic today, he said none of the new shimano hubs are quiet. Not definitive, but my dreams of a super quiet shimano hub my be short lived.I wonder if the XTR hub was an old one that had been sitting on the shelf for awhile.
Old 10-21-23, 07:29 PM
Chandne

Bikes: 2022 Moots RCS, 2014 BMC SLR01 DA Mech, 2020 Santa Cruz Stigmata, Ibis Ripmo, Trek Top Fuel, Specialized Levo SL, Norco Bigfoot VLT

It is likely that those are old ones. When I started the search for really quiet or silent hubs, Shimano was mentioned. Well, since I needed disc and 28H, I had few options. For the proven option, there was Onyx, so I went with them. I love quiet hubs and I absolutely love silent hubs like the Onyx. I am not sure why Shimano never wanted to build modern disc hubs for the aftermarket. I'd guess too much competition there already with Chis King, DT Swiss, and a myriad of pawn hubs out there.
Old 10-21-23, 10:07 PM
phughes

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1034 Post(s)
Liked 1,292 Times in 744 Posts
Originally Posted by Chandne
Say what? Onyx hubs are silent...as in totally silent. If you want noisy, try the new DT 240EXPs. I am not sure if Shimano even makes any mid-high end aftermarket hubs.
Yes, you are correct. Just a little sarcasm. They are very expensive, strong, and very quiet hubs.
Old 10-22-23, 02:20 AM
Ironfish653
Dirty Heathen

Bikes: 1997 Cannondale, 1976 Bridgestone, 1998 SoftRide, 1989 Klein, 1989 Black Lightning #0033

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 889 Post(s)
Liked 906 Times in 534 Posts
I am not sure why Shimano never wanted to build modern disc hubs for the aftermarket. I'd guess too much competition there already with Chis King, DT Swiss, and a myriad of pawn hubs out there.
Probably so as not to complete with their own line of OE wheels.
The last few years, they've also really clamped down on their wholesalers / distributors, especially in the US, and Euro retailers being able to sell to US customers. 2015-2018 generation stuff seems easy enough to find, but not so much with anything newer
Likes For Ironfish653:
Old 10-22-23, 05:22 AM
georges1
Steel is real

Bikes: 1992Giant Tourer,1992MeridaAlbon,1996Scapin,1998KonaKilaueua,1993Peugeot Prestige,1991RaleighTeamZ(to be upgraded),1998 Jamis Dragon,1992CTWallis(to be built),1998VettaTeam(to be built),1995Coppi(to be built),1993Grandis(to be built)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 670 Post(s)
Liked 977 Times in 648 Posts
Originally Posted by Ironfish653
Probably so as not to complete with their own line of OE wheels.
The last few years, they've also really clamped down on their wholesalers / distributors, especially in the US, and Euro retailers being able to sell to US customers. 2015-2018 generation stuff seems easy enough to find, but not so much with anything newer
This is the correct
Old 10-22-23, 05:24 AM
georges1
Steel is real

Bikes: 1992Giant Tourer,1992MeridaAlbon,1996Scapin,1998KonaKilaueua,1993Peugeot Prestige,1991RaleighTeamZ(to be upgraded),1998 Jamis Dragon,1992CTWallis(to be built),1998VettaTeam(to be built),1995Coppi(to be built),1993Grandis(to be built)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 670 Post(s)
Liked 977 Times in 648 Posts
On one of my mountain bikes I have 2015 xt 780t,among the quietest hubs I have on a mountain bike and they are as good as my dt 240s non disc hubs found on my two other MTBs
Old 10-22-23, 05:39 AM
Racing Dan

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1335 Post(s)
Liked 318 Times in 216 Posts
Looks like a scylence freehub. Its has a ratchet mechanism akin to DT, but with an added feature that makes the ratchet rings separate completely when coasting. Its Very clever but hard to explain in words. It has been reported its prone to creaking and premature wear, but I have no direct experience.
Old 10-22-23, 06:46 AM
Chandne

Originally Posted by phughes
Yes, you are correct. Just a little sarcasm. They are very expensive, strong, and very quiet hubs.
Hahaha you got me curious and I was wondering if they also made loud hubs. I just switched to Onyx on the primary road bike because they were completely silent. I think some pawl hubs are still relatively quiet, especially if you keep them greased (which is easy to do). I have stock set on a Specialized (may be Formula hubs) that have four pawls if I recall correctly. They are pretty quiet and quietened down more when I used Dumonde Tech freehub lube. However, no hub is silent like the Onyx. I do have Chris King R45s on another bike and it has a bee-buzzing sound which I find pleasing enough, unlike every other loud hub I have used or heard. It is not a very high-pitched buzz unlike Industry Nine and definitely not a chainsaw buzz like the new DTs. The older version of the DTs were not too bad but the new ones are obnoxious. I paid dearly for the DT 240EXP/ZIPP 303 Firecrest custom wheel build, only to take off the DT and put on the Onyx.
Likes For Chandne:
Old 10-22-23, 02:40 PM
KerryIrons

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 506 Post(s)
Liked 639 Times in 357 Posts
Originally Posted by Cead_tinne
Talked to a bicycle shop mechanic today, he said none of the new shimano hubs are quiet. Not definitive, but my dreams of a super quiet shimano hub my be short lived.I wonder if the XTR hub was an old one that had been sitting on the shelf for awhile.
Adding lightweight grease to the pawls (instead of oil) will greatly quiet any freehub. The only time this MIGHT be an issue is if the temperature drops really low and the grease stiffens. Personally have never had this happen (I ride in temps down to about 40 F, 5 C) but some people have reported this issue.
Old 10-23-23, 04:42 AM
Jughed

Bikes: Lemond Zurich/Trek ALR/Giant TCX/Sette CX1

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 772 Times in 404 Posts
The DT Swiss hubs that came with my Roval's are silent. I think they are 350 or 370s...
Old 10-23-23, 06:33 AM
Chandne

The DT 370s are pretty quiet as are the classic 350s. They get louder over time. I have the classic 350s (not EXP) as well as the 370s. They are definitely quieter and not bothersome though I would not say silent. I can make them pretty quiet for a few hundred miles with the Dumonde Tech freehub grease. After that, I hear them more but they do not bother me. DTs are pretty easy to grease and it's a good habit to have. I need to look into opening up the Chris King R45 and lubing it next.
Old 10-23-23, 09:07 AM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,979 Times in 1,920 Posts
havent noticed a problem with those hubs. paw style are going to give off noise.

if someone wants load, just get an E-bike.
Old 10-23-23, 09:09 AM
msu2001la

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1461 Post(s)
Liked 1,486 Times in 870 Posts
I think some pawl hubs are still relatively quiet, especially if you keep them greased (which is easy to do). I have stock set on a Specialized (may be Formula hubs) that have four pawls if I recall correctly.
Yep. I have some stock wheels that came on my Cannondale that use a Formula 3-pawl hub. They are not silent, but are very quiet.

The sound level on these seems closely related to how much grease is in there. They get louder as time goes on, then I pull them apart and re-grease and they're quiet again.
Likes For msu2001la: