Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Regular shorts with chamois?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Regular shorts with chamois?

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-24, 12:34 PM
smd4

Bikes: 1989 Cinelli Supercorsa

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3513 Post(s)
Liked 2,927 Times in 1,776 Posts
Thanks. I didn’t see where the shorts had a chamois liner. Free shipping for orders over $100? That pretty much means free shipping on everything!
Old 03-10-24, 06:03 AM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4414 Post(s)
Liked 4,867 Times in 3,012 Posts
Originally Posted by smd4
Thanks. I didn’t see where the shorts had a chamois liner. Free shipping for orders over $100? That pretty much means free shipping on everything!
The chamois liners are a separate item, worn under the outer shell. It’s the best way to get the pad to fit properly and not move around, while allowing a looser outer shell. Also gives you the option of using the outer shell with regular underwear off the bike, which I often do as the shells are so light and comfortable.

They are expensive, but they go the distance without showing any of the usual signs of wear or tear. Pockets don’t get holes, waistband edges don’t wear out, fasteners don’t break, seams don’t come apart and they don’t fade with washing and UV exposure. Yet at the same time they are ultra-lightweight, windproof, water resistant, breathable and cut perfectly for riding. I have other shorts that are durable, but they are much heavier and get soaked in sweat. Try these and you won’t want to wear anything else.
Old 03-11-24, 09:31 AM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 4955 Post(s)
Liked 8,097 Times in 3,832 Posts
Originally Posted by Calsun
And how EXACTLY do you have experience with AI response programs? I have none as I cannot waste time on social media and prefer not to engage in adult child communication as it is pointless and a bit like describing a piece of music to a deaf person.

Seems like you have the perspective of a flatlander with little experience and no desire to learn anything from others which begs the question - why are you on this forum?
Based on the examples of AI comments I have seen on this site, there is a character/style in the content that is often a clue to the source. I can't tell you specifics. It's kind of like pr0n...you know it when you see it.
Old 03-11-24, 09:47 AM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10435 Post(s)
Liked 11,912 Times in 6,100 Posts
Originally Posted by Eric F
Based on the examples of AI comments I have seen on this site, there is a character/style in the content that is often a clue to the source. I can't tell you specifics. It's kind of like pr0n...you know it when you see it.
But, you know, this is kind of circular - AI responses to questions are based on it mimicking real people's responses to questions, so rather than seeing it as his responses sounding like AI, perhaps AI sounds like his responses, which tbf are pretty generic in phrasing.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Old 03-11-24, 10:07 AM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Originally Posted by genejockey
But, you know, this is kind of circular - AI responses to questions are based on it mimicking real people's responses to questions, so rather than seeing it as his responses sounding like AI, perhaps AI sounds like his responses, which tbf are pretty generic in phrasing.
Valid point.
Old 03-11-24, 01:52 PM
Leisesturm

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2495 Post(s)
Liked 739 Times in 523 Posts
Originally Posted by BobG
I thought the company was long out of business because Adventure Cycling dropped the item from their Cyclosource catalog. However the J&G website is still active.
The J&G website exists only to liquidate legacy clothing stock. Popular sizes of most items are long gone. I see no signs of extancy of J&G as an ongoing manufacturing source. My communications with them have been responded to by someone in St. Louis, MO.
Old 03-12-24, 05:10 AM
BobG

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 318 Post(s)
Liked 117 Times in 82 Posts
Originally Posted by Leisesturm
The J&G website exists only to liquidate legacy clothing stock. Popular sizes of most items are long gone.
I suspected such from the "everything must go" wording at the site. That said, they seem to have the black shorts in stock in all sizes except medium for only $33. They run small. I have a 34" waist and large fit me. Inseam may be too short for some folk's taste, like gym shorts.

edit: I see now that "add to cart" link goes to a "not secure" site. I think I'll delete my above post! Thanks for pointing this out.

Last edited by BobG; 03-12-24 at 05:28 AM.
Old 03-12-24, 08:00 AM
t2p

Bikes: Cannondale - Gary Fisher - Giant - Litespeed - Schwinn Paramount - Schwinn (lugged steel) - Trek OCLV

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1400 Post(s)
Liked 1,883 Times in 1,084 Posts

there are a number of loose / baggy MTB / touring shorts with an attached padded liner short - some sewn and some attach with Velcro or snaps as do the Endura shorts pictured above … Specialized and Cannondale also offered shorts like this - but don’t know if they still do

as mentioned by others in previous posts - can also wear lightweight nylon or similar shorts over padded bike shorts

I’ve done this for years - even showed up for road rides with double shorts after finishing an MTB off road ride earlier in the day … much to the dismay of some of my hard core roadie friends - and got the name ‘t2p’ - tommy two pants
Likes For t2p:
Old 03-12-24, 08:40 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18420 Post(s)
Liked 15,564 Times in 7,333 Posts
Originally Posted by genejockey
*mind blown*
Old 03-12-24, 08:43 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18420 Post(s)
Liked 15,564 Times in 7,333 Posts
Originally Posted by Eric F
Have you ever read “Blink—The Art of Thinking Without Thinking”, by Malcolm Gladwell? A lot of discussion about knowing something is awry without being able to pinpoint the reason at first. Great read.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 03-12-24, 08:53 AM
CAT7RDR

Bikes: 1999 Schwinn Peloton Ultegra 10, Kestrel RT-1000 Ultegra, Trek Marlin 6 Deore 29'er

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 822 Post(s)
Liked 1,961 Times in 944 Posts
Humans are keen on deciphering what's wrong?
Call it intuition, emotional intelligence, pre-cognition or gut instinct; there are several modes of intelligence and the use of perceptions and apperceptions.

Or, this is all BS and I am just free associating.
You be the judge.
Old 03-12-24, 09:10 AM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Originally Posted by indyfabz
Have you ever read “Blink—The Art of Thinking Without Thinking”, by Malcolm Gladwell? A lot of discussion about knowing something is awry without being able to pinpoint the reason at first. Great read.
I have not. Thanks for the tip.
Old 03-12-24, 09:26 AM
partyanimal

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked 82 Times in 34 Posts
My favorite set up so far is Ornot Cargo bibs with some Ripton jorts.
Ripton Jorts
Ornot Cargo Bibs
Old 03-12-24, 10:39 AM
Leisesturm

Originally Posted by CAT7RDR
Humans are keen on deciphering what's wrong?
Call it intuition, emotional intelligence, pre-cognition or gut instinct; there are several modes of intelligence and the use of perceptions and apperceptions.
Unfortunately, we are not usually where power is vested. Vested power is blind to the consequences of anything with a sweet pay-off proposition. We have to share a dying Planet with them ...
Old 03-12-24, 10:46 AM
Leisesturm

Originally Posted by BobG
edit: I see now that "add to cart" link goes to a "not secure" site. I think I'll delete my above post! Thanks for pointing this out.
I have bought two J&G items since the liquidation began. Items came with no delay and there do not appear to be any collateral unauthorized transactions as a result. If those shorts can work for you then go get 'em.
Old 03-12-24, 12:01 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10964 Post(s)
Liked 7,491 Times in 4,189 Posts
Originally Posted by partyanimal
Old 03-12-24, 12:28 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Originally Posted by partyanimal
Ripton Jorts
Ornot Cargo Bibs
Jorts? Oh, hell no.
Old 03-12-24, 12:43 PM
Smaug1
Commuter

Bikes: Main Bikes: 2023 Trek Domane AL3, 2022 Aventon Level.2 eBike, 1972 Schwinn Varsity, 2024 Priority Apollo 11

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 238 Post(s)
Liked 323 Times in 196 Posts
Originally Posted by CAT7RDR
If you are serious about fit and comfort, purchase a nice pair of bib shorts and just wear a MTB nylon shell type short over it.
↑ This, except they don't have to be bib cycling shorts. Bibs are nice because they pull the shorts up so they don't bind your legs, but they're hard to deal with when you have to go potty.

Do this, and just about ANY shorts will do, and the pad will stay in the right place. Even if the cycling shorts peek out the bottom a bit.
Old 03-12-24, 02:52 PM
AndyJoK

Bikes: too many and not enough

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
there are def tons out there. MTB can range from fitting to baggy baggy. Ive found some really great pairs from Giro and Blacksheep I ride a lot. And along with the OG rapha touring shorts (not as many useful pockets) I have a nice arsenal of comfortable shorts.
Old 03-14-24, 10:15 AM
CarrollB

Bikes: Trek Fx2 disc

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
I like the shorts that the local BassPro sells that are like MTB shorts. They have multiple pockets and the material is a little slick so my butt doesn't stick to the seat. I wear padded biking underwear underneath. I also like belt loops on my shorts as wearing a belt gives me a place to hang my phone within easy reach. It's nice to have a zippered fly in case you need to water the local vegetation while on a ride. I think I pay about $25 for the BP brand of shorts.
Old 03-20-24, 08:48 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5224 Post(s)
Liked 3,584 Times in 2,344 Posts
fwiw - I use thin lined tri shorts under mountain bike shorts, which look like generic cargo shorts but are made with fast drying fabric, stretchy waist good pockets w/ zippers & cut so they flex properly while pedaling. I bought MTB shorts with a removeable liner but didn't like the liner fit. so I chucked it & use Zoot tri shorts under them. I also wear them under gym shorts at the gym. I sweat a lot & the keeps exercise machines dry! the MTB shorts are great for everyday use too (w/ regular underwear). I practically live in them during summer months when not at the office

for example

ZOIC Ether Short

with these under ZOOT Men's Performance Tri 8-Inch Short

I wear 38" waist trousers but for these items I get XXL

Last edited by rumrunn6; 03-20-24 at 08:57 AM.