Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals.
Reload this Page >

Bianchi Limited Road (Mid-Late 80s) for $300?

Search
Notices
Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals. Use this subforum for all requests as to "How much is this vintage bike worth?"Do NOT try to sell it in here, use the Marketplaces.

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-13, 05:02 PM
yohoooniee
Getting Educated.

Bikes: :(

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hey everyone, I came across this bike in my area and wanted to know if the asking price was a bit too steep? It seems like he upgraded a few of the parts but do you guys think it's worth $300? Is the frame any good?

https://sandiego.craigslist.org/nsd/bik/4064185030.html

Last edited by yohoooniee; 09-23-13 at 01:03 AM.
Old 09-13-13, 05:17 PM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Quoted: 5888 Post(s)
Liked 3,471 Times in 2,079 Posts
Those were nice bikes. The frame tubing, I'm fairly certain, though, is not columbus, as the seller claims, but Ishiwata 022. You can just about make out the frame tubing decal on the fork and seat tube and it looks like Ishiwata. Good stuff to make frame tubing out of; the Shimano 600 parts gruppo is also very good quality (which eventually morphed into Ultegra). $300 is a reasonable price for this bike if it fits you in what has to be a "hot" market assuming the bike is in "ready" to ride condition. I'd mark it down some if it has some issues. This is a quality bike made in Japan with a famous Italian name.

Edit: Here is some info on the bike, https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread...ianchi-Limited
Old 09-13-13, 05:29 PM
wrk101
Thrifty Bill

Bikes: 86 Katakura Silk, 87 Prologue X2, 88 Cimarron LE, 1975 Sekai 4000 Professional, 73 Paramount, plus more

Mentioned: 96 Post(s)
Quoted: 1236 Post(s)
Liked 964 Times in 628 Posts
Actually, sticker looks like Columbus. Some years the Limited was made in Japan with Ishiwata tubing, other years, Italy. Good deal.
Old 09-13-13, 06:12 PM
oddjob2
Still learning

Bikes: Still a garage full

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 847 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 44 Posts
Originally Posted by wrk101
Actually, sticker looks like Columbus. Some years the Limited was made in Japan with Ishiwata tubing, other years, Italy. Good deal.
+1 Looks like the familiar teal decal with a red bird or whatever in it. Plus, my two 1987 Schwinn's by Panasonic are Columbus Tenax tubing.
Old 09-13-13, 06:15 PM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Quoted: 5888 Post(s)
Liked 3,471 Times in 2,079 Posts
I actually thought the limited was always made out of Ishiwata as they were made in Japan and I built more than a few of them for customers. But I stand corrected on this.
Old 09-13-13, 06:16 PM
Bianchigirll 
Bianchi Goddess

Bikes: Too many to list here check my signature.

Mentioned: 193 Post(s)
Quoted: 2935 Post(s)
Liked 2,930 Times in 1,495 Posts
Yep that is an '86 or 87 with one of those Formula 2 frames and I think 600 SIS group.

Sugar "Kane" Kowalczyk
Old 09-13-13, 10:32 PM
yohoooniee
Getting Educated.

Bikes: :(

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks everybody! I checked it out today, its actually 56cm-- not a 54cm. I took it around the street, and it felt amazingly comfortable. The gears shifted smoothly-- and overall, it rode super smooth.

The only cons were that it's missing a brake hood, the handlebar tape was a a little worn, and the rear brake lever seemed to be lacking a little (had to really pull the brake in order for it to slow down).

Will be picking it up tomorrow! Hopefully he has a change of heart for a bike noobie/college student and considers lowering the price for me overnight
Old 09-14-13, 01:44 PM
84Bianchi

Bikes: 84 Bianchi, 90s Specialized Rockhopper

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Post some more pictures when you have it. Nice find.
Old 09-14-13, 05:26 PM
Bianchigirll 
Bianchi Goddess

Bikes: Too many to list here check my signature.

Mentioned: 193 Post(s)
Quoted: 2935 Post(s)
Liked 2,930 Times in 1,495 Posts
Originally Posted by yohoooniee
Thanks everybody! I checked it out today, its actually 56cm-- not a 54cm. I took it around the street, and it felt amazingly comfortable. The gears shifted smoothly-- and overall, it rode super smooth.

The only cons were that it's missing a brake hood, the handlebar tape was a a little worn, and the rear brake lever seemed to be lacking a little (had to really pull the brake in order for it to slow down).

Will be picking it up tomorrow! Hopefully he has a change of heart for a bike noobie/college student and considers lowering the price for me overnight
I think hoods for these are readily available either NOS shimano one or something aftermarket that fits. You can likely just get a pair of Tektro aero style levers for about the same cost though.

As for the rear brake.... It is likely just a sticky cable or even the caliper but whatever it is a good tuneup should take care of it.

Sugar "Kane" Kowalczyk