Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Beginner buying advice

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Beginner buying advice

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-14, 09:17 AM
biketampa
I don’t live in Tampa

Bikes: 2014 Jamis Ventura Race, 2014 Cervelo P2, 2017 Raleigh Tamland 1, 2015 Jamis Trail X

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked 42 Times in 31 Posts
Beginner buying advice

Backstory:
4 months ago I purchased a trek 7.3 fx hybrid because I wanted to bike more in place of running for fitness to save the beating my joints take from running.

Fast forward a couple months and now I've started in with triathlons and a hybrid is just far too slow for that. So now I'm looking at road bikes. I don't want a TT bike because I want a bike that can help me in triathlons but also be nice to go out for a nice ride. So here are the bikes I'm considering.

Specialized Allez and Specialized Allez Sport:
It seems the Allez sport has tons of great reviews should I even consider the base Allez vs the Sport?

Jamis Ventura Comp and Jamis Ventura Race:
I don't see a lot of people with these bikes but see some good reviews.

Felt f85:
Lots of good reviews and seems pretty popular

Trek madone 3.1:
Above what I feel I should spend but it's on close out at my local trek store for $1499

I doubt I'll be doing any century rides any time soon. Most of my rides will be in the 10-30 mile range with potential for future maybe 50 miles or so. And then of course use in triathlons. And it's florida so hills are pretty much not a concern.

Any advice? These all seem like good bikes to me. I have not ridden any yet but plan to this weekend.
Old 07-31-14, 09:52 AM
seymour1910

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by biketampa
Backstory:
4 months ago I purchased a trek 7.3 fx hybrid because I wanted to bike more in place of running for fitness to save the beating my joints take from running.

Fast forward a couple months and now I've started in with triathlons and a hybrid is just far too slow for that. So now I'm looking at road bikes. I don't want a TT bike because I want a bike that can help me in triathlons but also be nice to go out for a nice ride. So here are the bikes I'm considering.

Specialized Allez and Specialized Allez Sport:
It seems the Allez sport has tons of great reviews should I even consider the base Allez vs the Sport?

Jamis Ventura Comp and Jamis Ventura Race:
I don't see a lot of people with these bikes but see some good reviews.

Felt f85:
Lots of good reviews and seems pretty popular

Trek madone 3.1:
Above what I feel I should spend but it's on close out at my local trek store for $1499

I doubt I'll be doing any century rides any time soon. Most of my rides will be in the 10-30 mile range with potential for future maybe 50 miles or so. And then of course use in triathlons. And it's florida so hills are pretty much not a concern.

Any advice? These all seem like good bikes to me. I have not ridden any yet but plan to this weekend.
The bold is the most important part. You have to try them and see what you like. I would never tell anyone to spend over their budget, but if the Trek is the one for you and you can swing the $1500 go for it.

All of them will get the job done honestly. If you have access to all the bikes I say spend all day checking them out. Then make a decision. Sometimes the bike shop with better customer service wins you over.
Old 07-31-14, 10:06 AM
Saber5

Bikes: '14 Specialized Allez Race

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I too purchased an FX 7.5 just to change up my running routine etc. I "grew" out of this bike in two years. When looking for a road bike first questions I asked myself was, what do I want then what can I afford. I wanted a carbon frame initially, but soon realized that I could get a very nice alum frame with better components than an entry level carbon frame bike from any manufacturer. Most manufactures better alum frame cycles will rival their low end carbon set ups every time-at least the ones you have listed here. Anyway.
I did settle on two brands, trek and specialized, and the two cycles you have listed because that is what is available to me locally. If you look at the Allez and the Madone, these are pretty different. On the Madone, the fit makes you feel more upright and comfortable(like your FX) due to the geometry. The Allez is the Tarmac racier fit in specialized line and you can definitely tell the difference when riding. I myself just purchased the Allez race and love it.
As a caveat, the Madone 3.1 that you are looking at, albeit carbon, is in my opinion not a better bike for the money than the Madone 2.3 alum. weight is the same and the components on the 2.3 are better IMO...there is not much difference in weight and ride-unless you have both and switch between the two every 2 miles...
Most importantly, get the one that makes YOU happy no matter what is posted here. Fit and ride are what is important. if you want the carbon bike to have a carbon bike then get that one because that is the one you will ride. Get the color you want, don't settle. Also, your local BS may take your FX 7.3 as a trade, or sell this first on CL/Ebay and use the money to get some nice shoes/pedals, and kit.
Just my thoughts, thanks for listening.
Old 07-31-14, 11:15 AM
biketampa
I don’t live in Tampa

Bikes: 2014 Jamis Ventura Race, 2014 Cervelo P2, 2017 Raleigh Tamland 1, 2015 Jamis Trail X

Originally Posted by Saber5
I too purchased an FX 7.5 just to change up my running routine etc. I "grew" out of this bike in two years. When looking for a road bike first questions I asked myself was, what do I want then what can I afford. I wanted a carbon frame initially, but soon realized that I could get a very nice alum frame with better components than an entry level carbon frame bike from any manufacturer. Most manufactures better alum frame cycles will rival their low end carbon set ups every time-at least the ones you have listed here. Anyway.
I did settle on two brands, trek and specialized, and the two cycles you have listed because that is what is available to me locally. If you look at the Allez and the Madone, these are pretty different. On the Madone, the fit makes you feel more upright and comfortable(like your FX) due to the geometry. The Allez is the Tarmac racier fit in specialized line and you can definitely tell the difference when riding. I myself just purchased the Allez race and love it.
As a caveat, the Madone 3.1 that you are looking at, albeit carbon, is in my opinion not a better bike for the money than the Madone 2.3 alum. weight is the same and the components on the 2.3 are better IMO...there is not much difference in weight and ride-unless you have both and switch between the two every 2 miles...
Most importantly, get the one that makes YOU happy no matter what is posted here. Fit and ride are what is important. if you want the carbon bike to have a carbon bike then get that one because that is the one you will ride. Get the color you want, don't settle. Also, your local BS may take your FX 7.3 as a trade, or sell this first on CL/Ebay and use the money to get some nice shoes/pedals, and kit.
Just my thoughts, thanks for listening.
The Madone is really last on my list mainly because I don't think I need that much bike for my needs. I feel for my needs I can get some close to,or under $1000.

I'm leaning towards the Allez sport based on seemingly across the board positive reviews. I have a LBS that takes bike trades for credit but they carry felt and jamis brands. I have a friend who really likes that lbs and seems like a great place. I'm going to try to ride the Allez and jamis and felt this weekend to compare. My local trek shop,is okay but they'll sell you whatever. It's not that they're not nice or helpful but they're less into guiding you to the right bike so if you don't ask the right questions you may miss out on something.

Thanks for the input

Last edited by biketampa; 07-31-14 at 02:23 PM. Reason: Correction
Old 08-02-14, 04:50 PM
biketampa
I don’t live in Tampa

Here's my latest update. I tried out the Specializes Allez. It was the base model. They didn't have any Allez Sport in my size. It was okay but I didn't have any wow factor but that may be because I'm a novice and don't know what to feel on a road bike.

So the next day I went to one of my LBS. They had nothing in my size. They did have a Jamis Icon on a pretty big discount but it was too small.

Finally, I went to a friend recommended LBS who,also will take trades. I'm glad I waited. The owner was totally cool and not the least bit pushy. When another customer ask me about my trade in and then hesitated thinking he might offend the owner the owner said "I don't care, you two can make a deal". So I talked to the owner a while about my needs and settled on the Jamis Ventura Race. He didn't have one in my size to try but said he could order one on Monday and it would be there next day. If I didn't like the ride I could take my old bike back or get something else. Seems I found a good LBS
Old 08-02-14, 05:35 PM
a1penguin

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 20 Posts
Great outcome, biketampa! I'm not sure why Jamis bikes aren't more popular. People who own them like the bikes. Finding a good LBS is also important. That Jamis is a nice looking bike with solid components. It should give you a smooth ride for many years! Give is a pic and bike review when you get the bike. You can never get enough bike pron :-)
Old 08-02-14, 06:36 PM
biketampa
I don’t live in Tampa

Originally Posted by a1penguin
Great outcome, biketampa! I'm not sure why Jamis bikes aren't more popular. People who own them like the bikes. Finding a good LBS is also important. That Jamis is a nice looking bike with solid components. It should give you a smooth ride for many years! Give is a pic and bike review when you get the bike. You can never get enough bike pron :-)
thanks. I'll definitely upload a pic. I do really like the look of the Jamis bikes. I couldn't have been more impressed with the LBS owner. Definitely a more personal experience than I got at my local trek and specialized stores.
Old 08-02-14, 06:43 PM
rms13

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 276 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by a1penguin
I think you have to go out of our way to get one i.e. know that is what you want. There is one LBS that sells Jamis near me but I actually never knew that until I looked at Jamis site because I've never seen a Jamis on the sales floor. Jamis is also one of the few companies that sells some nice steel bikes
Old 08-03-14, 10:20 AM
biketampa
I don’t live in Tampa

Originally Posted by rms13
I think you have to go out of our way to get one i.e. know that is what you want. There is one LBS that sells Jamis near me but I actually never knew that until I looked at Jamis site because I've never seen a Jamis on the sales floor. Jamis is also one of the few companies that sells some nice steel bikes
I think I'm lucky. The two LBS I went to yesterday carry Jamis bikes and have ones in stock. And even though they didn't have one even close to my size to ride of the one I want the bike shop owner is ordering it and if it ends up I don't like the ride he said he has no problem having that size on the floor.
Old 08-07-14, 06:55 PM
biketampa
I don’t live in Tampa

Got my Jamis Ventura Race tonight. Had a close park to ride a few miles in. It felt great. Ride was much better than the Specialized Allez I tried. Bike arrived today but shop owner said the wheels were damaged in shipment so he took a set off of a $2500 felt bike he had in stock and put them on my bike. Even match the red on my bike. Didn't have time tonight but he said after 50 miles bring it back for a quick tuneup and he would do a full fitting on the computrainer. Will replace pedals though.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
image.jpg (100.5 KB, 33 views)
Old 08-07-14, 07:32 PM
NumbersGuy

Bikes: Fairlight Strael 3.0 Ultegra Di2, Lauf Seigla Rigid SRAM Red XPLR

Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked 115 Times in 64 Posts
Nice bike, best of luck with it. I'm in a similar position as you having bought a hybrid and having completely moved to road only riding. One of my LBS that I liked a lot happens to sell Jamis bikes. I'll have to check that out next time I'm at the shop as it looks great and seems to be about the spec I'll be looking for.
Old 08-08-14, 11:17 AM
biketampa
I don’t live in Tampa

Originally Posted by NumbersGuy
Nice bike, best of luck with it. I'm in a similar position as you having bought a hybrid and having completely moved to road only riding. One of my LBS that I liked a lot happens to sell Jamis bikes. I'll have to check that out next time I'm at the shop as it looks great and seems to be about the spec I'll be looking for.
I'll have to take some more pics. Taking it for a longer ride tonight. I'm equally impressed with the bike and LBS. He told me bring my bike in before my triathlon and he would flip the stem so I'm a little more aero to go fast. For free of course. It's the sort of place you definitely don't feel like he's trying to sell you on anything but riding. I mentioned getting clipless pedals at some point and he said don't worry about those yet just get used to riding a road bike first and them worry about upgrading pedals.
Old 08-08-14, 11:40 AM
Slackerprince
Redefining Lazy

Bikes: 2013 Cannondale Synapse 5 105, 2013 Giant Escape 3

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Did you get it at Flying Fish on MacDill?

S
Old 08-08-14, 06:46 PM
NumbersGuy

Bikes: Fairlight Strael 3.0 Ultegra Di2, Lauf Seigla Rigid SRAM Red XPLR

Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked 115 Times in 64 Posts
I mentioned getting clipless pedals at some point and he said don't worry about those yet just get used to riding a road bike first and them worry about upgrading pedals.
Funny you mention pedals. On my ride last night, somehow I snapped one of my pedals in half. I got up out of the saddle to sprint through a changing traffic light and heard a light crack as I pushed down with my right leg. The pedal felt soft underfoot and as I cleared the intersection and lifted my foot, the front half of my pedal fell away. Only the cheap resin pedals that came on my Crosstrail, nothing special, but wouldn't have expected a failure like that after only a few hundred miles over less than two months. I'm bringing the bike back for its 60 day tune up next week, so I'll have them take a look at what's left of the pedal. I put on a pair of cheap flat pedals for now so I can keep riding until I decide on going with clipless and shoes which I was already contemplating. Be sure to share any info you get when you do upgrade pedals as us fellow newbies certainly welcome any knowledge that can help us progress into the sport. Now get some more pics up and give impressions on the longer ride!
Old 08-08-14, 07:03 PM
biketampa
I don’t live in Tampa

Originally Posted by Slackerprince
Did you get it at Flying Fish on MacDill?

S
King Cycles in Brandon
Old 08-09-14, 05:16 PM
biketampa
I don’t live in Tampa

Just a quick follow up. I've now put in about 35 miles on my new bike. So far I couldn't be happier. The bike rides great and feels great. The seat has been great and very comfortable. Can't wait to throw some clip on aero bars and Clipless pedals on it.
Old 08-09-14, 05:40 PM
RobertL

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Got my Jamis Ventura Race tonight. Had a close park to ride a few miles in. It felt great. Ride was much better than the Specialized Allez I tried. Bike arrived today but shop owner said the wheels were damaged in shipment so he took a set off of a $2500 felt bike he had in stock and put them on my bike. Even match the red on my bike. Didn't have time tonight but he said after 50 miles bring it back for a quick tuneup and he would do a full fitting on the computrainer. Will replace pedals though.
Nice bike, have fun!