Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Chain rubbing against cassette cog, please help

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-22, 06:23 AM
hundo13

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I have been getting intermittent little noise and clicking sensation from the pedal lately(specially in lower/heavier gear and when putting more torque).
I cleaned and inspected the bike and found out that my chain is rubbing against the second cassette cog (when it's in the first cog).
Gear Position: front - biggest(heaviest) gear / rear - smallest(heaviest) gear (it's road bike - giant SCR 2 claris 8 speed)

I tried adjusting the barrel adjuster, limit screw and the cable to move the rear derailleur to the right most side(outward) so that the chain will not touch the cog.
However, the chain is still rubbing the cog.

I have replaced the chain and sprocket cassette about 2 month ago and rode good 1,000 km without any issue.
I just started to have this issue recently.
Which area should I fix or inspect more?

Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

Last edited by hundo13; 07-16-22 at 06:33 AM.
Old 07-16-22, 06:25 AM
hundo13

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Apparently, i can't upload pictures......
Just to clarify the point of contact: top side of the chain rubs against second cassette cog.
Old 07-16-22, 06:44 AM
alcjphil

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1821 Post(s)
Liked 1,697 Times in 977 Posts
First thing I would do: Check to make sure that the cassette lockring is tight
Old 07-16-22, 07:00 AM
hundo13

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by alcjphil
First thing I would do: Check to make sure that the cassette lockring is tight
Yes sir, it's as tight as teenager's *****.
Old 07-16-22, 08:00 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18426 Post(s)
Liked 15,582 Times in 7,337 Posts
Originally Posted by hundo13
Yes sir, it's as tight as teenager's *****.
Don’t be gross.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 07-16-22, 09:11 AM
cxwrench

Bikes: lots

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1958 Post(s)
Liked 2,932 Times in 1,489 Posts
This question should be posted in the proper section...bicycle mechanics...not GD. And show some class OP.
Likes For cxwrench:
Old 07-16-22, 09:24 AM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2747 Post(s)
Liked 3,401 Times in 2,058 Posts
Is the right speed chain being used?
Likes For dedhed:
Old 07-16-22, 09:29 AM
koala logs
Banned.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 347 Post(s)
Liked 170 Times in 140 Posts
I have replaced the chain and sprocket cassette about 2 month ago and rode good 1,000 km without any issue.
I just started to have this issue recently.
As a chain wears down, it will start flexing more to the sides which may cause it to start rubbing the cog next to it.

Solutions:
- Measure the chain for stretch with chain stretch tool or straight rule. If stretched beyond acceptable parameters, replace chain.
- Avoid "cross-chaining". Avoid shifting to the outermost cog of the cassette while the chain is on the smaller, inner chainring. If you have 1x drivetrain, move your chainring outside of the crank arms so it becomes more aligned to the outermost cassette cogs.
- Get better quality chain next time with less sideways flex. Lower quality chains tends to flex more to the sides and may result to slow or delayed shifting between cogs. More flex will also make chain more likely to rub against adjacent cogs.

Last edited by koala logs; 07-16-22 at 09:32 AM.
Old 07-16-22, 10:31 AM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

Bikes: Scott Addict R1, Felt Z1

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 3432 Post(s)
Liked 3,567 Times in 1,793 Posts
9 times out of 10, chain rub like this is caused by a bent derailleur hanger.

Check the rear derailleur hanger alignment, both axes (top-down, front-back).

Either take the bike to a decent shop, or buy an alignment gauge. They're not expensive.

Old 07-16-22, 03:59 PM
cxwrench

Originally Posted by koala logs
As a chain wears down, it will start flexing more to the sides which may cause it to start rubbing the cog next to it.

Solutions:
- Measure the chain for stretch wear with chain stretch weartool or straight rule. If stretched wornbeyond acceptable parameters, replace chain.
- Avoid "cross-chaining". Avoid shifting to the outermost cog of the cassette while the chain is on the smaller, inner chainring. If you have 1x drivetrain, move your chainring outside of the crank arms so it becomes more aligned to the outermost cassette cogs.
- Get better quality chain next time with less sideways flex. Lower quality chains tends to flex more to the sides and may result to slow or delayed shifting between cogs. More flex will also make chain more likely to rub against adjacent cogs.
FTFY. Chains don't stretch, they WEAR. No need to avoid 'cross chaining, every modern (the last 20 or so years) can do it. Small/small isn't a great idea, big/big should be no big deal. You don't want to do it all day, but using that combination is fine.
Likes For cxwrench:
Old 07-16-22, 04:10 PM
alcjphil

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1821 Post(s)
Liked 1,697 Times in 977 Posts
Originally Posted by cxwrench
FTFY. Chains don't stretch, they WEAR. No need to avoid 'cross chaining, every modern (the last 20 or so years) can do it. Small/small isn't a great idea, big/big should be no big deal. You don't want to do it all day, but using that combination is fine.
Horror of horrors. Yesterday I was climbing a short hill using my big ring. This hill gets progressively harder towards the top. Normally, I can get there on my big ring using the third largest cog but this time I was tired and it was very hot so I committed a terrible sin, I shifted into the largest rear cog while on the big ring for the last 20 meters of the climb.
The world did not come to an end, I finished the climb and shifted back to a "safe" gear combination
Likes For alcjphil:
Old 07-16-22, 04:20 PM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

Bikes: Scott Addict R1, Felt Z1

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 3432 Post(s)
Liked 3,567 Times in 1,793 Posts
Just to clarify the point of contact: top side of the chain rubs against second cassette cog.
That is extremely weird. If what you report is true, you have a really messed up chain line.

Something doesn't add up.

Old 07-16-22, 07:26 PM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2747 Post(s)
Liked 3,401 Times in 2,058 Posts
The world did not come to an end, I finished the climb and shifted back to a "safe" gear combination
Unless you were one of those guys on here lately who refuses to size the chain to do big/big because "I never use that combination" right up until they do.
Old 07-16-22, 08:04 PM
cxwrench

Apparently, i can't upload pictures......
No way that is happening.
Originally Posted by terrymorse
That is extremely weird. If what you report is true, you have a really messed up chain line.

Something doesn't add up.
^This^ That's just not possible.
Old 07-17-22, 01:23 AM
koala logs
Banned.

Quoted: 347 Post(s)
Liked 170 Times in 140 Posts
Originally Posted by cxwrench
I know that. Chains wear, they don't undergo elastic deformation unless you rode your bike over molten lava or you ~leased~ it to an actual gorilla that can ride a bike for 5 mins while carrying a golf club in one hand while hopping curbs but I'll call it whatever I want to. Perhaps, I should start calling it "chain gellatffhfoourinnusous"

The OP's chain is obviously not doing well or the chain itself is flexing sideways excessively. Excessive sideways flex is a symptom of cheap chains especially if the chain is new or the chain for some reason is wearing at an incredible rate (OP must be riding over diamond sand dunes while using wet lube, what an awful situation to be in)
Old 07-19-22, 01:11 PM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1514 Post(s)
Liked 734 Times in 455 Posts
Gear spacing on a cassette should be sufficient to prevent the chain rubbing on the next gear - unless you're using the wrong chain. For instance, a 7-speed chain on a 9-speed cassette. Or a 5-speed chain on a 7-speed cassette.
Old 07-21-22, 03:06 AM
frogman

Bikes: Wife says I have too many :-)

Quoted: 327 Post(s)
Liked 250 Times in 158 Posts
Horror of horrors. Yesterday I was climbing a short hill using my big ring. This hill gets progressively harder towards the top. Normally, I can get there on my big ring using the third largest cog but this time I was tired and it was very hot so I committed a terrible sin, I shifted into the largest rear cog while on the big ring for the last 20 meters of the climb.

OMG ! You now have to live with the shame !