Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Why every thing you read claims E-bike give a better work out ??

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Why every thing you read claims E-bike give a better work out ??

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-23, 07:14 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18420 Post(s)
Liked 15,564 Times in 7,333 Posts
Originally Posted by Lombard
If it's on the internet, it must be true.
Uncorrect.

Likes For indyfabz:
Old 09-11-23, 07:53 AM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3674 Post(s)
Liked 5,437 Times in 2,763 Posts
Originally Posted by 3alarmer
...there was a great thread by one of the user accounts (who got banned for trolling), on this very topic.
I think maybe he went too far when he posted a picture of his exercise regimen bike, with a dead car battery tied to the rack.

Too bad, I liked that guy. Here are all the threads he started. Prolific doesn't begin to describe him.

Wouldn't you get a better workout with a heavier bike ?
Originally Posted by DMC707
is this the guy who lived in a storage shed and was buying nice bikes with his Covid money? I recall that guy always invoking his “friend” and even had members local to his area trying to help him out
The storage shed guy was "Cheez." I offered to send him some $, put up or shut up, and he politely declined. Effectively admitted he was just having fun. The dead battery training aid was "cubewheels" aka "qwaalodge." He had an inexplicably long run. "CheGiant" aka "grantelmwood" among others, seems to be the hardest for them to catch. Undoubtedly will be back soon if not already.
Old 09-11-23, 08:51 AM
Tomm Willians

Bikes: Subject to change at any given moment but currently is...... Colnago Mapei, Colnago C40, Wilier Triestina Carbon, Wilier Triestina Ramato, Follis 472, Peugeot PX60, Razesa, Orbea Terra, Soma Pescadero and 1/2 owner of a Santana tandem.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 336 Post(s)
Liked 782 Times in 264 Posts
The question whether you can achieve a greater workout on an e-bike is true….. and false. Completely depends on the type of ebike you’re talking about and how the rider is using it.
I’m due for major surgery in November that’s going to have me sidelined for about 6 months so in preparation I purchased a Pivot E Vault to help when I’m finally able to start riding again.
I chose the Pivot deliberately as it uses the Fazua motor system which is completely removable in just a matter of seconds giving you an absolutely normal bike only powered by the rider. There are other manufacturers out there using the Fazua but I liked the Pivot the most.
Using their Toolbox downloads I’ve been able to create a power profile that is so minimal that it only makes up for the extra 7.5 lbs of the battery and motor when reinstalled. I can of course bump the power up to two higher settings but I bought this bike to help me recover and continue normal cycling, not become a full fledged E cyclist. ( not yet anyway)
With the battery installed but not turned on, the bike is very rideable but the extra weight cannot be denied. It’s in this condition that it does indeed offer a harder workout than a normal bike but I suppose that’s no different than adding 7.5 lbs to any bike.
This entire controversy over e-bikes I find a bit silly. The aspect of how one conducts themselves is certainly a concern and there does seem to be a correlation between poor trail manners and ebike riders. However the absolute worst encounters I’ve ever had with other cyclists (bordering on violence) did not involve ebike riders.

But now I’m off topic. To answer the question (or at least offer an opinion) yes they can offer a greater workout if used correctly or they can become a carnival ride. It’s up to the rider.
Likes For Tomm Willians:
Old 09-11-23, 09:06 AM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4414 Post(s)
Liked 4,867 Times in 3,012 Posts
Originally Posted by njkayaker
Because they are riding more. A lot more. Compared to not really riding at all (or riding much less) before getting an e-bike.

It isn’t showing “both sides of the argument”. (The “argument” hasn’t been clearly specified anyway.)

It is saying:
  1. that e-bikes encourage people who weren’t really riding to ride more.
  2. People who ride regular bikes are more fit.
This seems what one would expect.

The OP seems to be claiming these articles are saying e-bike riders riding the same amount as he is are getting more exercise. Them saying this or it being true doesn’t seem likely. Your last link contradicts the OP's apparent claim.
Well this was my point. The OP’s claim was rather ambiguous. He did say that one claim was that e-bike riders ride further, but doesn’t mention for what length of time, which is far more relevant.
Old 09-11-23, 09:26 AM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 2241 Post(s)
Liked 3,443 Times in 1,802 Posts
Just as a reality check, the OP isn't making the claim, but appears instead to be questioning the veracity of the claim:

Originally Posted by jzr756
So I'm wondering about the barrage of online articles and claims an E-bike actually provides a better work out than conventional bikes in general ?? I've been making considerable gains riding hills and flats. E-bikes are blasting by me but no ones pedaling. how's that claim coming about? One claim is their riding longer distances??
There is no mention here whether the OP owns, or has even ever ridden, an e-bike.
Likes For Polaris OBark:
Old 09-11-23, 09:41 AM
Outrider1

Bikes: Trek Emonda ALR 5

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Liked 302 Times in 140 Posts
I believe there's a forum dedicated specifically to the ebike crew. Why not stroke each other's egos over there?
Likes For Outrider1:
Old 09-11-23, 10:04 AM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4357 Post(s)
Liked 3,995 Times in 2,666 Posts
Oh great more of the same. Snooooooooze! If you don't like e-bikes fine don't ride one but if you just simply don't understand them maybe try riding one first. Also please keep in mind an E-bike DOES NOT HAVE A THROTTLE they are only pedal assist.That thing with a throttle is an electric moped and those things are terrible (though better than a gas powered vehicle I guess).

The past many things I have read didn't even mention e-bikes and some didn't mention bicycles at all but I read all sorts of stuff. Probably whatever made up articles the OP is reading are in their head. I don't think anyone is claiming a better work out on an e-bike. I will say if someone is not riding and now they are, it is a better work out then their previous set up. I know for myself I am riding to work more often and doing a lot more things by bicycle that I may not have done in the past. However none of that is to say it is a better workout then on a regular bike but it is better than not riding a bicycle at all.

If you need to hate on e-bikes then maybe you need to look inward and figure out your own problems with insecurity first. Unless you have set up a competition with someone else and agreed upon a set of rules and they violated those rules there is nothing to worry about. You don't have to be in competition with anyone they can ride their bike and you can ride yours and if at the end of the ride you aren't happy from riding, that is on you not on someone else. If someone enjoys playing Solitaire and I enjoy Diablo III that is fine maybe Solitaire makes it easier for them to play but in the end they are enjoying their game, I am enjoying mine and we are both having fun playing games. My enjoyment of my game is not halted by their enjoyment of their game. It is the same with bikes.

Get out and ride and enjoy life for a while and if you cannot do that I feel sorry for you. Bikes are awesome.
Likes For veganbikes:
Old 09-11-23, 10:22 AM
2old

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 883 Post(s)
Liked 823 Times in 622 Posts
These threads are a bad joke. An individual can derive as much or little exercise from a workout as he (or she) desires. I tend to be lazy, so my (very infrequent) "e" rides are leisurely, while I ride a lot harder on my MTB. However, a few times I've ridden my "e" fairly vigorously without the assist and probably received more benefit.
Likes For 2old:
Old 09-11-23, 10:44 AM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7652 Post(s)
Liked 3,478 Times in 1,836 Posts
One point ... the OP could have been using a simple marketing strategy ... start a debate, and get people involved, and get the product into general discussion. A little misdirection, a little mild deception, but by pretending not to believe the claim, a person could get say .... 80+ posts discussing an idea he claimed to have seen in a lot of places. And thus ... he added a lot more google entries involving that claim, and improved the SEO ranking of "e-bikes give a better workout."

The OP never claims e-bikes do anything ... he does claim to have seen a lot of articles (a "barrage") making the claim. I wonder where he regularly reads, to read such stuff ... e-bike promos sites?

Could be ... we got had. We just made ourselves shills for the e-bike industry.

I want my royalty check.
Likes For Maelochs:
Old 09-11-23, 10:48 AM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Originally Posted by veganbikes
an E-bike DOES NOT HAVE A THROTTLE they are only pedal assist.
Mine has one, in conjunction with pedal assist.

I tried it, and it doesn't do a whole lot, but I did find it useful to apply very briefly when starting out on a steep hill, so I decided not to take it off again (it came with the conversion kit). I suspect it would rapidly deplete the battery, and it would get tiresome holding the button down.

I haven't put a significant number of miles on this thing yet, so I can't make any generalizations.
Old 09-11-23, 10:53 AM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Originally Posted by Maelochs
One point ... the OP could have been using a simple marketing strategy ... start a debate, and get people involved, and get the product into general discussion. A little misdirection, a little mild deception, but by pretending not to believe the claim, a person could get say .... 80+ posts discussing an idea he claimed to have seen in a lot of places. And thus ... he added a lot more google entries involving that claim, and improved the SEO ranking of "e-bikes give a better workout."

The OP never claims e-bikes do anything ... he does claim to have seen a lot of articles (a "barrage") making the claim. I wonder where he regularly reads, to read such stuff ... e-bike promos sites?

Could be ... we got had. We just made ourselves shills for the e-bike industry.

I want my royalty check.
The OP also expressed skepticism of the claim, and said "E-bikes are blasting by me but no one [i]s pedaling."

So is there some hidden conspiracy that I am missing?
Old 09-11-23, 10:56 AM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Quoted: 26425 Post(s)
Liked 10,381 Times in 7,209 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
Uncorrect.

....I thought Lincoln's take on the internet was in the, "The world will little note, or long remember what we say here.." speech, at Gettysburg ?
Old 09-11-23, 11:01 AM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Oh great more of the same. Snooooooooze! If you don't like e-bikes fine don't ride one but if you just simply don't understand them maybe try riding one first. Also please keep in mind an E-bike DOES NOT HAVE A THROTTLE they are only pedal assist.That thing with a throttle is an electric moped and those things are terrible (though better than a gas powered vehicle I guess).
If you need to hate on e-bikes then maybe you need to look inward and figure out your own problems with insecurity first.
Yeah, except you hate on Some e-bikes in your third sentence.

Hmmmm ......
Old 09-11-23, 11:02 AM
Maelochs

Originally Posted by Polaris OBark
The OP also expressed skepticism of the claim, and said "E-bikes are blasting by me but no one s pedaling."

So is there some hidden conspiracy that I am missing?
Yeah .... ummmm .... you pretty clearly missed my point ... and added another bit of support to the e-bike industry.
Old 09-11-23, 11:09 AM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Originally Posted by Maelochs
Yeah .... ummmm .... you pretty clearly missed my point ... and added another bit of support to the e-bike industry.
I didn't miss it.

I just think it is delusional to believe that it adds any support to the "e-bike industry." The e-bike industry, from what I can tell, is thriving. Trek, for example, has a whole line-up of e-Domane+ ebikes that sell for $9K to $13K, and can't keep up with demand.

The idea that they somehow need to start threads on bike forums to make sales is almost as plausible as the idea that the oil companies make these posts to undermine the credibility of e-bikes as alternatives to fossil fuel consumption.
Old 09-11-23, 11:10 AM
njkayaker

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 4260 Post(s)
Liked 1,363 Times in 945 Posts
Just as a reality check, the OP isn't making the claim, but appears instead to be questioning the veracity of the claim:
Originally Posted by jzr756
So I'm wondering about the barrage of online articles and claims an E-bike actually provides a better work out than conventional bikes in general ?? I've been making considerable gains riding hills and flats. E-bikes are blasting by me but no ones pedaling. how's that claim coming about? One claim is their riding longer distances??
The OP is making this (unsupported) claim: That there are "a barrage of articles saying E-bike actually provides a better work out than conventional bikes in general".

What are these articles? What do they actually say? The OP doesn't tell us.

Seems to me that this ("they provide a better workout") can't be correct. So, I kinda doubt there are any articles saying it (let alone a "barrage" of them).

A bunch of people are just assuming the OP is correct when they should be asking to see these supposed articles (which the OP should have referenced at the start).

@PeteHski referenced two articles (the only person to reference anything) which seem to indicate that e-bike riders get more exercise compared to people who don't really ride because they are riding (much) more. This is reasonable and kind of obvious (but wasn't what the OP appeared to be talking about).

Last edited by njkayaker; 09-11-23 at 11:19 AM.
Old 09-11-23, 11:26 AM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Seems to me that this ("they provide a better workout") can't be correct. So, I kinda doubt there are any articles saying it (let alone a "barrage" of them).
That's an excellent and completely compelling point. Never, in the history of the internet, has there ever been a "barrage" of false claims, thanks to the vigorous fact-checking of those dedicated to high standards of truth (eg Facebook, Faux News, Twitter/X, etc.)
Likes For Polaris OBark:
Old 09-11-23, 11:36 AM
badger1

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1581 Post(s)
Liked 1,189 Times in 605 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
Uncorrect.
This sort of flippant response just won't do here on the new, improved 'General Cycling' sub-forum. From what I can tell, it is now mandatory to cite -- and discuss at length -- sources that support any comment one wants to make.
#recreationalcyclingisseriousbusiness
Old 09-11-23, 11:39 AM
njkayaker

That's an excellent and completely compelling point. Never, in the history of the internet, has there ever been a "barrage" of false claims, thanks to the vigorous fact-checking of those dedicated to high standards of truth (eg Facebook, Faux News, Twitter/X, etc.)
??? You appear to missing the point.

If there is a "barrage" of articles, why isn't there a reference to one or two of them?

Why are some here people just assuming the OP is correct that there are such a "barrage" of articles?

If the OP says (claims) somebody said something, they need to provide a link to what they actually said.
Old 09-11-23, 11:42 AM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

??? You appear to missing the point.

If there is a "barrage" of articles, why isn't there a reference to one or two of them?

​Why are some here people just assuming the OP is correct that there are such a "barrage" of articles?
Who here has assumed the assertion is correct?

If the OP says (claims) somebody said something, they need to provide a link to what they actually said.
Likewise.
Old 09-11-23, 11:49 AM
njkayaker

Who here has assumed the assertion is correct?
No one here (other than me and @PeteHski) suggested that the OP's claim that there was a "a barrage of articles saying E-bike actually provides a better work out than conventional bikes in general" might be wrong.

They (some of them) just went on to disagree with what the articles are alleged to have said (articles they did not read). The assumption is implicit.

Likewise.
This thread.
Old 09-11-23, 11:59 AM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Here's another one to get worked up over: https://quoteinvestigator.com/2014/08/29/too-crowded/
Old 09-11-23, 12:10 PM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Quoted: 26425 Post(s)
Liked 10,381 Times in 7,209 Posts
..some day, when I have more time, I'm going to start a whole thread on why e-bikes make people crazy.
I'm sure it has something to do with the electrical fields they generate. But there has to be at least two more layers of Conspiracy theory.
Old 09-11-23, 12:18 PM
DMC707

Bikes: Too many to list

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1765 Post(s)
Liked 1,124 Times in 746 Posts
I didn't miss it.

I just think it is delusional to believe that it adds any support to the "e-bike industry." The e-bike industry, from what I can tell, is thriving. Trek, for example, has a whole line-up of e-Domane+ ebikes that sell for $9K to $13K, and can't keep up with demand.

The idea that they somehow need to start threads on bike forums to make sales is almost as plausible as the idea that the oil companies make these posts to undermine the credibility of e-bikes as alternatives to fossil fuel consumption.

The GMBN guys' stated - while recently testingf a $599 e-bike from Amazon - that currently e-bikes seem to be making up 25% of bike sales 0 not sure how accurate this is, but even if it was just 5% - its still a very large number
Old 09-11-23, 12:20 PM
CAT7RDR

Bikes: 1999 Schwinn Peloton Ultegra 10, Kestrel RT-1000 Ultegra, Trek Marlin 6 Deore 29'er

Quoted: 822 Post(s)
Liked 1,961 Times in 944 Posts
If I could plug my George Foremen Grill into an e-bike than my life would be fulfilled.
Likes For CAT7RDR:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.