Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Going back to 23/25 from 28/30...?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Going back to 23/25 from 28/30...?

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-24, 04:26 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7652 Post(s)
Liked 3,479 Times in 1,836 Posts
I used to ride Vittorio open tubulars ... a model i cannot find any more ... and the ride was phenomenal, even on 23s at high pressure ... but the wear rate was insane. Now I am using Michelins and Vittorio Rubino Pros but while both last a lot longer, neither provide the super-supple, sticky ride I wanted and had on the old rubber.

Life is full of cruel compromises.
Old 01-27-24, 05:57 PM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 3241 Post(s)
Liked 2,512 Times in 1,510 Posts
Originally Posted by Maelochs
I used to ride Vittorio open tubulars ... a model i cannot find any more ... and the ride was phenomenal, even on 23s at high pressure ... but the wear rate was insane. Now I am using Michelins and Vittorio Rubino Pros but while both last a lot longer, neither provide the super-supple, sticky ride I wanted and had on the old rubber.

Funny you should mention that. This afternoon I was at one of those "pick your own" auto parts salvage yards. My vehicle has a vacuum leak somewhere in the braking system I can't find it using the usual techniques. I get a whistle ever time I let off the brake pedal. It's nearly $200 for a new vacuum hose that might not solve the problem. It could be the brake booster or the master cylinder. Anyway, I went and pulled all 3 off a wreck so at least I can find the problem and buy a new part if I have to. The vehicle is a Mazda5 which like your tubulars is not made any more. The whole class of vehicles(compact mini vans) are no longer sold/imported in the USA. I've been holding out, hoping for something to come along. Ford was going to put a minvan body on the new Maverick platform, but that was nixed last March. The next closest class(small wagons) are no long sold/imported in the US either. All of the crossovers, SUVs, etc don't really do it for me. My wife has one and they are not a good substitute. So, the only options I have(or at least want) is to keep driving/repairing the current one as long as I can or find a newer one in better condition. Mine's a 2008. The last year they were brought to the US was 2015. There's a 2015 local with relatively low miles that popped up. I'll watch it and most likely purchase it, but I still need to get the current one running properly so I can sell it. Tough choices when there aren't many. I also have a fulle size GM extended work van, so moving up to a full size minivan is not really needed.

Last edited by seypat; 01-27-24 at 06:06 PM.
Old 01-27-24, 06:03 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Originally Posted by seypat
Funny you should mention that.
Funny You should mention all that.

My 21-yeqr-old car is possibly dying ... at some point repairs are a bad investment---but i will not buy a gas-wasting, space-wasting SUV which is large and heavy and still not able to carry hardly anything. I want a tiny van or small wagon but like yourself, I am waiting to find something that suits. I want to be able to haul at least two people and a good bit of gear or bikes and all that .... . and there is nothing which is not swollen, overweight, inefficient, and too expensive for the value.

Modern motor vehicle mechanicals are amazing, but modern motor vehicle designs are pure crap. All frosting, no cake. No one sells a simple piece of bread.
Likes For Maelochs:
Old 01-27-24, 06:22 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4806 Post(s)
Liked 3,932 Times in 2,557 Posts

Have you tried the Vittoria Corsa G+/G.20s? I loved the Open Pros too but the Corsa Gs wear better, flat less (nowhere near the glass and debris magnets), feel wonderful and while the thread is not as sticky, it is very good and Vittoria went back to a slightly modernized ribbed tread. I took ribbed tread completely for granted in my racing days long ago as nearly all of my cheap and decent cotton training tubulars from Palo Alto were ribbed tread. That tread vanished for 30 years. One of my first rides on the then brand new ribbed tread Corsas opened my eyes. I had to leave the path of the road onto a paved farm turnout to not be the in the path of a 60+ mph Civic passing a solid line of on coming traffic. As soon as he passed, it was "Oh s***! Pavement's ending and it's a ditch." Swerved in dirt and sand to climb back onto the road surface. And no big deal. "Sold!"

And that brought back memories. Ribbed tread! Best ever for climbing out or cracks, ruts and back onto the shoulder. Now combined with very decent gripping rubber and totally confidence inspiring. Biggest drawback is the wallet hit of that little "Graphene" label on the tire. My body is maxxed out on crashes so I take the wallet hit and ride those tires in whatever size best suits that bike almost all the time.
Old 01-27-24, 06:25 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6972 Post(s)
Liked 10,969 Times in 4,692 Posts
My 21-yeqr-old car is possibly dying ... at some point repairs are a bad investment---but i will not buy a gas-wasting, space-wasting SUV which is large and heavy and still not able to carry hardly anything. I want a tiny van or small wagon but like yourself, I am waiting to find something that suits. I want to be able to haul at least two people and a good bit of gear or bikes and all that .... . and there is nothing which is not swollen, overweight, inefficient, and too expensive for the value.
​​​​​​https://www.ford.com/trucks/transit-...der-trucks-vhp

Last edited by Koyote; 01-27-24 at 06:28 PM.
Old 01-27-24, 06:31 PM
Maelochs

Originally Posted by 79pmooney
Have you tried the Vittoria Corsa G+/G.20s?
Never tried them buy thanks for the heads-up. I will try a set when I need to buy new rubber.
Old 01-27-24, 09:20 PM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Quoted: 3898 Post(s)
Liked 4,836 Times in 2,229 Posts
I used to ride Vittorio open tubulars ... a model i cannot find any more ... and the ride was phenomenal, even on 23s at high pressure ... but the wear rate was insane. ...... Life is full of cruel compromises.
My experience with Specialized expensive tubulars (not Hell,o th North). Wonderful ride, about 700road miles on a rear. but I weigh ~190lbs.
Old 03-15-24, 08:16 AM
Trakhak

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 2485 Post(s)
Liked 2,956 Times in 1,679 Posts
Originally Posted by Atlas Shrugged
This is bordering on idiocy. I spent 4 years as an apprentice toolmaker followed up with 15 years as a lead hand in a custom fabrication shop,which specialized in precision metal products. Medical instruments, aerospace, military and astronomy equipment as well as molds and dies. Often our products required welding as part of manufacturing and assembly which I was involved in. You have absolutely no clue if you think that brazing some lugged tubes together in a jig is challenging at all.

Richard Sachs made very attractive frames to a discerning clientele which were beautifully finished but performed identically to others. As a frame builder gets more proficient he gets faster while retaining the same quality but the actual performance is identical. I find it bizarre on how gullible so many people are regarding frame builders, the input materials are identical as well as the assembly methods so the only differentiation is branding, finish and details which play no role in performance or reliability. Just look at these forums which has a frame building sub forum with over 50,000 posts, not a very rarefied group if you ask me.
Someone once reported a conversation with a framebuilder in which he asked him to confirm that any hand-built artisanal steel frame would be superior to any mass-produced frame constructed of any material. The framebuilder replied that some people might benefit from getting a custom-made frame that had been designed to work perfectly for the rider for the intended type of riding, but, otherwise, no.

The poster was astonished at that reply and asked in the framebuilder's forum here what they thought about the exchange. The consensus was that the framebuilder's reply was accurate and that he deserved respect for his honesty.

Reading threads over the years, I've learned that the degree of reverence in which artisanal frames are held tends to be inversely proportional to the number of frames the beholder has built.
Old 03-15-24, 10:30 AM
slow rollin

Bikes: n+1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 26 Posts
I would base my tire choice on a mixture of rider preference, experience, bike choice, and terrain. I like "28"mm gatorskins. Going into 23mm tires I find they are just a little rough on wooden bridges or potholes, but that's acceptable to me. 32's are nice and I got some 35's recently to try out.
I prefer to have multiple bikes, so a couple can have 23's for fast zippy rides, cx/gravel can run 32+, and a mtb or two with 1.5-2.0in tires for maximum floatability.
I weigh 225lbs
Currently trying out cheaper 23's since they were on sale, so many tire options these days.
Old 03-15-24, 10:40 AM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2585 Post(s)
Liked 5,644 Times in 2,922 Posts
Lots of chipseal and broken up roads here. On my tubeless bike I run Conti 5000 TRs at 70/72 which gives a comfortable ride without sacrificing speed, which is usually around 18 MPH. On my tubed bikes, I also have Conti 5000 clinchers with light weight buytl tubes (will switch to latex one of these days) at 80/82, again at 18 MPH. Back in the bad old days, I had 23s run at 115 which lost me a few teeth fillings - but the tires felt fast-but it no doubt because of stronger legs. Will not go back to skinny/high pressure, since I enjoy being comfortable while riding at about the same speeds I did decades ago, but as another said, “you do you”.

Old 03-15-24, 10:51 AM
zymphad

Bikes: Super Cheap gc3 approved Bike

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 572 Post(s)
Liked 52 Times in 30 Posts
Originally Posted by cholly
On your road bike, anyone ever go to a fatter tire (28-32ish) and lower psi and then decide that thin is still in?

Are there still those that don't follow the 'science' and CRR stats and say -- I like it firm, thin, and fast (at least the perceived feeling of fast)?

I will certainly agree that wider is more comfortable, but for a go-fast bike where I limit rides to 20-30 miles per ride, on good and bad tarmac -- am I missing something?

Thanks!
I was thinking about this and it's true. On my carbon I got 28mm and it's comfy. But saw video discussing reasons why we do a lot of things. For example wheels are stiffer because they have to resist the force of disc rotors, so they have more spokes etc. Forks are stiffer and reinforced because of the disc brakes are attached to the lower end of the fork where it should be the most compliant. Aero tubes require the frames to be even more stiff and rigid. All these things are reason why people are riding 30-32mm tires to compensate for all these problems created by aero frame and disc brakes.

But ride a vintage steel with steel fork on 23mm tires? Yeah, the 23mm on steel is more compliant and comfy. It is true. It's why my current project is probably going to be renovating my parents old steel. And I'm certain that with 23/25mm, that steel will be more comfortable than my carbon with 28mm.
Old 03-15-24, 10:59 AM
zymphad

Originally Posted by rsbob
Lots of chipseal and broken up roads here. On my tubeless bike I run Conti 5000 TRs at 70/72 which gives a comfortable ride without sacrificing speed, which is usually around 18 MPH. On my tubed bikes, I also have Conti 5000 clinchers with light weight buytl tubes (will switch to latex one of these days) at 80/82, again at 18 MPH. Back in the bad old days, I had 23s run at 115 which lost me a few teeth fillings - but the tires felt fast-but it no doubt because of stronger legs. Will not go back to skinny/high pressure, since I enjoy being comfortable while riding at about the same speeds I did decades ago, but as another said, “you do you”.
I switched to TPU, it's working fine and loving the space saving for the packs, 2 TPU tubes and a patch kit take up less space than 1 butyl
Likes For zymphad:
Old 03-15-24, 11:04 AM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

Bikes: Scott Addict R1, Felt Z1

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 3432 Post(s)
Liked 3,567 Times in 1,793 Posts
Originally Posted by rsbob
Here's a little factoid that might ruffle some feathers among Fat Tire Club:

A skinny tire is more compliant than a fat tire at the same pressure. So if you're still one of the holdouts that hasn't joined Fat Tire Club, try reducing the pressure. The only down side I can think of is an increased risk of a pinch flat.

My current choice is GP5000 25 (measured width 27.5 mm), at 78/82 psi. Smooth and comfy, and I certainly could go lower.

Old 03-15-24, 11:13 AM
zymphad

Originally Posted by terrymorse

A skinny tire is more compliant than a fat tire at the same pressure. So if you're still one of the holdouts that hasn't joined Fat Tire Club, try reducing the pressure. The only down side I can think of is an increased risk of a pinch flat.

My current choice is GP5000 25 (measured width 27.5 mm), at 78/82 psi. Smooth and comfy, and I certainly could go lower.
I also suspect you are fitter and lighter than the average cyclist I see around me. I think they need the 32mm tires They would not be able to ride 25mm at 70 PSI.
Old 03-15-24, 11:25 AM
Garthr

Bikes: Franklin Frames Custom, Rivendell Bombadil

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked 209 Times in 127 Posts
Speed is relative to the amount I care to relate to the cycling sensation called "weeeeeeeeeee"

But seriously ...... I've never been one to try to quantify the ride of tires. As long as they roll well and don't flat often, I'm good until they wear out. I did really like the ride of tubulars for while in the 80's, but I had too many flats and my ability to sew them back up was not so good. I'm a whole lot lighter these days and maybe I wouldn't have that issue anymore, but for now I'm okay with Marathon Racer tires at a relatively low 45-50 psi for the 35(33.5 actual)mm version.

Last edited by Garthr; 03-15-24 at 11:47 AM.
Old 03-15-24, 11:26 AM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

Originally Posted by zymphad
I also suspect you are fitter and lighter than the average cyclist I see around me. I think they need the 32mm tires They would not be able to ride 25mm at 70 PSI.
Lighter than average: guilty, your honor. This morning's weigh-in was 133.5 lbs (60.5 kg).

Height: 76th percentile of adult American males.
Weight: 4th percentile of adult American males.

AKA: Roadie physique.

Old 03-15-24, 12:04 PM
Atlas Shrugged

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1248 Post(s)
Liked 1,323 Times in 674 Posts
Lighter than average: guilty, your honor. This morning's weigh-in was 133.5 lbs (60.5 kg).

Height: 76th percentile of adult American males.
Weight: 4th percentile of adult American males.

AKA: Roadie physique.
Lucky bastard! If they were able to create a sport which combined cycling with wrestling I would be world champion in the unlimited weight category.
Old 03-15-24, 12:04 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10436 Post(s)
Liked 11,913 Times in 6,101 Posts

1) Is it, though? Less volume so an equivalent bump would be more compression, no? But also, largely irrelevant because....

2) I think most of us get the point, and have reduced pressures, but for the heavier riders, to get the same cush as flyweight on 25s at 78/82, we have to run 28s or 32s at even lower pressures.

Regarding the original, 3-month-old OP, I've seen several people say they like skinny tires at high pressures because they FEEL faster. This makes me think that these folks mistake feeling every tiny pebble on the road = fast, but I can tell you that my fastest bike also has the fattest tires and the plushest ride. I prefer to GO fast, rather than just FEEL fast.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Likes For genejockey:
Old 03-15-24, 12:05 PM
icemilkcoffee 

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1562 Post(s)
Liked 1,734 Times in 974 Posts
I used to ride Vittorio open tubulars ... a model i cannot find any more ...
Huh? It's definitely still available :
https://bikecloset.com/product/vitto...-folding-700c/
https://www.tradeinn.com/bikeinn/en/...uscador_search

Both Vittoria Corsa and Veloflex Corsa ride really well. I run 23mm Veloflex Corsa and honestly I am not feeling any more harshness than the 25mm Continental GP5000 and GP4000 on my other bikes.

Last edited by icemilkcoffee; 03-15-24 at 12:21 PM.
Old 03-15-24, 12:17 PM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

Originally Posted by genejockey
1) Is it, though? Less volume so an equivalent bump would be more compression, no?
I hear it has to do with the shape of the tire's contact patch -- long and thin vs. short and wide. Increasing the contact patch under additional load causes the "long and thin" tire to deflect more.

Or something like that. It's also the reason why skinny tires are more prone to bottom out, I think. It's hard to visualize.

Old 03-15-24, 12:20 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

I hear it has to do with the shape of the tire's contact patch -- long and thin vs. short and wide. Increasing the contact patch under additional load causes the "long and thin" tire to deflect more.

Or something like that. It's also the reason why skinny tires are more prone to bottom out, I think. It's hard to visualize.
Or, you know, the rim is closer to the ground, maybe?

Likes For genejockey:
Old 03-15-24, 12:22 PM
delbiker1 
Mother Nature's Son

Bikes: 2014 Orbea Avant MD30, 2004 Airborne Zeppelin TI, 2003 Lemond Poprad, 2001 Lemond Tourmalet, 2014? Soma Smoothie

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 853 Post(s)
Liked 1,437 Times in 819 Posts
I have found tires with actual width of 27-30mm to be my pavement sweet spot. I do still have a couple sets of 26 mm gravel kings that I use occasionally. I like them much better on Hed Belgium rims, 18+mm interior, than on 15 mm internal DA C24’s. They measure out to a hair under 28mm on the Hed, a hair under 26mm on the C24.
I did go to 25mm Vittoria Open Pave for a short while last year, cannot remember bike or wheels, decided I prefer a bit wider tire. The 27mm Open Pave on a wider rim is a fine ride.
Old 03-15-24, 12:36 PM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

Or, you know, the rim is closer to the ground, maybe?
Good point.

Old 03-15-24, 01:02 PM
smd4

Bikes: 1989 Cinelli Supercorsa

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 3513 Post(s)
Liked 2,927 Times in 1,776 Posts
Regarding the original, 3-month-old OP, I've seen several people say they like skinny tires at high pressures because they FEEL faster. This makes me think that these folks mistake feeling every tiny pebble on the road = fast, but I can tell you that my fastest bike also has the fattest tires and the plushest ride. I prefer to GO fast, rather than just FEEL fast.
A few weeks ago I deflated my tires by 40 PSI, to 100. The ride sucked. I'm back to 140. Even Rene Herse says, "There's nothing wrong with narrow tires, of course. If you prefer the 'connected-to-the-road' feel of a racing bike, then you'll be happier on narrow tires.[I am. --smd] If your friends tease you to 'get with the program,' remind them: narrow tires are not slower than wide tires - they just aren't faster, either."

The sentiment of the above quote usually gets twisted into the "wide tires are faster than narrower tires" BS.
Old 03-15-24, 01:11 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Originally Posted by smd4
A few weeks ago I deflated my tires by 40 PSI, to 100. The ride sucked. I'm back to 140. Even Rene Herse says, "There's nothing wrong with narrow tires, of course. If you prefer the 'connected-to-the-road' feel of a racing bike, then you'll be happier on narrow tires.[I am. --smd] If your friends tease you to 'get with the program,' remind them: narrow tires are not slower than wide tires - they just aren't faster, either."

The sentiment of the above quote usually gets twisted into the "wide tires are faster than narrower tires" BS.
I know you don't care, but this has been tested before:

Wider is not necessarily faster - here they find the sweet spot for them is 32mm - but there's a combination of width, tire make and model, and pressure that's optimal in terms of mph/watt for any given rider and road, and unless you're 145 lbs, riding on new asphalt, it's probably not 23mm at 140.

But ride what you want. Just accept that it's a preference, not empirically faster.

Likes For genejockey:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.