Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Disc Brakes Annoyance

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Disc Brakes Annoyance

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-24, 09:41 AM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26425 Post(s)
Liked 10,381 Times in 7,209 Posts
Originally Posted by PeteHski
None of you guys are even vaguely interested in disc brakes, ...
...I had discs on my '67 Alfa Spyder. They worked well, but the pads wore quickly.
Old 03-06-24, 10:23 AM
70sSanO

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1944 Post(s)
Liked 2,164 Times in 1,323 Posts
Originally Posted by BTinNYC
'Everything you love and everyone you know will change and there's nothing you can do about it.'

The 5 Meditations of the Buddha, circa 500 BC.
Didn’t that originate from a Kabaddi halftime commercial?

John
Old 03-06-24, 11:19 AM
BTinNYC 

Bikes: Bicycles? Yup.

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 482 Post(s)
Liked 1,593 Times in 739 Posts
Originally Posted by 70sSanO
Didn’t that originate from a Kabaddi halftime commercial?
John
😀 Could be Buddha's Kabaddi bookie, hard to say, it's as old as rim brakes. 😜
Likes For BTinNYC:
Old 03-06-24, 11:22 AM
icemilkcoffee 

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1562 Post(s)
Liked 1,734 Times in 974 Posts
I think you can still get Ultegra R8050 Di2 for rim brakes. At least a couple online suppliers show it in stock, but I didn’t spend much time.

John
The 6770 , 6870 and R8050 all were available with rim brakes. So you have a choice of 3 generations of Ultegra Di2 groupsets with rim brake support.
Old 03-06-24, 11:31 AM
smd4

Bikes: 1989 Cinelli Supercorsa

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 3514 Post(s)
Liked 2,927 Times in 1,776 Posts
Originally Posted by Atlas Shrugged
I appreciate your response and enjoy our back-and-forth banter. However, I kindly request that you post my full message instead of only selecting certain lines.
When I make a post, I'll do it my way. Your original post is still there for all to see.
Old 03-06-24, 11:48 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6196 Post(s)
Liked 4,811 Times in 3,319 Posts
As mentioned earlier, Shimano does make Di2 Ultegra for rim brake equipped bikes. Here are the 11 speed left and right that are compatible with your R7000 stuff or any other 11 speed Shimano road group component.

https://bike.shimano.com/en-US/produ...T-R8050-L.html

https://bike.shimano.com/en-US/produ...T-R8050-R.html
Likes For Iride01:
Old 03-06-24, 11:58 AM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

Bikes: Scott Addict R1, Felt Z1

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 3432 Post(s)
Liked 3,567 Times in 1,793 Posts
Originally Posted by Iride01
As mentioned earlier, Shimano does make Di2 Ultegra for rim brake equipped bikes.
Yes, but for how much longer?

If Shimano history is a guide, these 11-speed levers will be discontinued in 3, 2, ...

If I'm doing a build, I'd pick the most recent group set as a hedge against obsolescence. Today that means 12-speed, no rim brakes (sadly).

Old 03-06-24, 12:10 PM
Atlas Shrugged

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1248 Post(s)
Liked 1,323 Times in 674 Posts
Originally Posted by smd4
When I make a post, I'll do it my way. Your original post is still there for all to see.
I get it, why ruin a good retort with facts.
Old 03-06-24, 12:26 PM
smd4

I get it, why ruin a good retort with facts.
I edit quotes because it’s absolutely silly to repost entire quotes when they are readily available above. It’s a waste of bandwidth and time consuming, especially when people repost quotes with 20 pictures and detailed descriptions, only to say, “nice bike!”

Your “facts” didn’t disappear because I didn’t quote you fully, I assure you. What "facts" were important to my retort, anyway? That you think the OP's post is a sad story? Not a fact. That you're glad he shared this because it gives us a fresh insight? Not a fact. That in General his post could easily be misinterpreted as a pathetic attempt at trolling? Not a fact. That he has been a member for over 10 years? So? This is the only "fact" you posted, and it really isn't important to what I wrote.

I only responded to the part of your post that was relevant to my retort--where you referenced C&V participants. The other portion of your post was fluff and completely unnecessary to my retort.

If I was reasonably sure my post would immediately follow yours, I wouldn’t re-quote you at all (see below). How upset would you be then? What "facts" would have been excluded?

This is the only forum I participate in (and like a lot of us I participate in many) where the members “insist” that other members quote in full—with the full understanding that the entire original subject quote can easily be re-read above.

But thank you for calling it a "good retort."

Last edited by smd4; 03-06-24 at 06:37 PM.
Old 03-06-24, 01:03 PM
70sSanO

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

Originally Posted by terrymorse
Yes, but for how much longer?

If Shimano history is a guide, these 11-speed levers will be discontinued in 3, 2, ...

If I'm doing a build, I'd pick the most recent group set as a hedge against obsolescence. Today that means 12-speed, no rim brakes (sadly).
Just buy a few sets. One for a backup and one to sell on eBay for 3 times the cost in 5-10 years or so.

John
Likes For 70sSanO:
Old 03-06-24, 06:01 PM
Atlas Shrugged

Just buy a few sets. One for a backup and one to sell on eBay for 3 times the cost in 5-10 years or so.

John
It would be nice if that would be holding true for other outdated equipment and groups. Prices for older equipment regardless of providence is dropping precipitately and there is no indication the future looks like it is going to improve. Older premium bicycle gear is unique because it rarely wears out, does not get disposed of readily and due to its affordability in general, hoarders build up incredible inventories which are eventually dumped onto the market.

Last edited by Atlas Shrugged; 03-06-24 at 07:38 PM.
Old 03-06-24, 06:35 PM
smd4

Guess it all depends on condition. Bought a mint 25th anniversary 7700 RD a couple years ago for $150. Now they’re pretty much double that. There’s a NOS one “asking” for $850.

Of course, I wouldn’t expect anyone who isn’t into C&V to follow the prices or market very closely.
Likes For smd4:
Old 03-06-24, 07:08 PM
70sSanO

A lot of value is based on nostalgia and utility. An item with little utility will have some demand by collectors, except art/display especially with providence, but an item with great utility is where things really take off.

Cars and guitars are pretty high up the food chain of in demand vintage collectibles. Beyond nostalgia, they just continue to work. A 50 year old 911 is probably just as much fun today as it was 50 years ago. Same with old guitars. 50 year old tennis racquets and golf clubs probably not so much since newer equipment is light years better.

John

Last edited by 70sSanO; 03-06-24 at 07:12 PM.
Old 03-06-24, 07:19 PM
Russ Roth

Bikes: 2010 Carrera Volans, 2015 C-Dale Trail 2sl, 2017 Raleigh Rush Hour, 2017 Blue Proseccio, 1992 Giant Perigee, 80s Gitane Rallye Tandem

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1088 Post(s)
Liked 1,026 Times in 723 Posts
Originally Posted by ScottCommutes
Keeping up with new tech is part of life, whether you like it or not. Don't believe me, I'll sell you my VGA cables, typewriter ribbons, handsaw sharpening jig, and lantern batteries.
I could use that handsaw sharpening jig to go with my 1940s handsaws. Bad example, any real woodworker knows you need a blend of old style and new to do things well.

I appreciate your response and enjoy our back-and-forth banter. However, I kindly request that you post my full message instead of only selecting certain lines. This particular thread made by a long-time active member, seems to have been created solely to stir up conflict and disagreement regarding an issue that has been excessively debated in the past.
Doesn't seem to be created to stir up controversy, seems that certain people come out of the woodwork to bicker over the same nonsense the moment something is mentioned. I may have inadvertently added to that by bringing in my view of disc brakes but also supporting my annoyance of internal routing. I saw the OP as expressing a justifiable frustration with the rapid disappearing of historical standards. As someone who has needed to get quality 650c wheels and tires in the last couple years and had found that they've evaporated its really annoying to deal with trying to get what you want or need.
Likes For Russ Roth:
Old 03-06-24, 07:35 PM
ScottCommutes

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 366 Post(s)
Liked 274 Times in 175 Posts
Originally Posted by Russ Roth
I could use that handsaw sharpening jig to go with my 1940s handsaws. Bad example, any real woodworker knows you need a blend of old style and new to do things well.
Can we agree on diaper pins then?
Likes For ScottCommutes:
Old 03-06-24, 07:48 PM
jonathanf2

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 446 Post(s)
Liked 1,045 Times in 442 Posts
There's a company from China called Wheeltop who are offering full wireless shifting for both disc and rim brakes. Unfortunately SRAM sent them a patent infringement lawsuit forcing them to used fixed batteries instead of removable ones. Either way, they claim at least 28,000 operations with the fixed battery and can be used from 7 to 13 speed cassettes. The front/rear derailleurs are full wireless and you can choose either mechanical or hydraulic brake options. The few user reviewers I've read sound quite positive.

https://wheeltop.com/products/eds-bicycle-derailleur
Likes For jonathanf2:
Old 03-06-24, 07:59 PM
Atlas Shrugged

Guess it all depends on condition. Bought a mint 25th anniversary 7700 RD a couple years ago for $150. Now they’re pretty much double that. There’s a NOS one “asking” for $850.

Of course, I wouldn’t expect anyone who isn’t into C&V to follow the prices or market very closely.
What a ridiculous example, a niche product produced in very limited numbers as a special edition sought after by collectors to complete a group and mounted on a wall hanger.

eBay is bloated with standard 7700 rear derailleurs starting at $30. These are asking prices not actual sale number. It’s common knowledge that the used market has collapsed especially older and collectibles as demand is diminishing as old timers continue to downsize and age out of the sport.
Old 03-06-24, 08:07 PM
smd4

What a ridiculous example, a niche product produced in very limited numbers as a special edition sought after by collectors to complete a group and mounted on a wall hanger.

eBay is bloated with standard 7700 rear derailleurs starting at $30. These are asking prices not actual sale number. It’s common knowledge that the used market has collapsed especially older and collectibles as demand is diminishing as old timers continue to downsize and age out of the sport.
Again, condition is important. Sure, trashed 7700 RDs go for cheap. NOS versions are going for $250 or more. A medium cage sold for $445. Doesn’t sound like prices are “dropping precipitously” to me.
Likes For smd4:
Old 03-06-24, 09:31 PM
Atlas Shrugged

Again, condition is important. Sure, trashed 7700 RDs go for cheap. NOS versions are going for $250 or more. A medium cage sold for $445. Doesn’t sound like prices are “dropping precipitously” to me.
I have no idea what the original price of this derailleur was in 1997 but lets say it was $100. The same amount invested in the S&P would be worth $987.00. Do you still think bike components are a good investment? Thinking someone is going to throw a few NOS Ultegra Groups in a drawer as a investment towards a grandchild’s education is hilarious. All this over the love of outdated cycling tech. This never gets old!
Likes For Atlas Shrugged:
Old 03-06-24, 10:42 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4359 Post(s)
Liked 4,001 Times in 2,670 Posts
I...could easily be misinterpreted as a pathetic attempt at trolling?
Sorry I am just giving a useful instance of why posting the whole thing is helpful. I am not getting involved in y'all's argument just having some fun. Completely unserious totally joking not calling you a troll or anything just having pure unadulterated fun on a fun forum about bikes. I did not add any words they are all ones that you typed aside from the "..." but again I was having some fun. I was recalling a corny old email signature years ago from someone about saving pixels when I skimmed that post about not wanting to post the whole quote.

Getting back on topic if I were to get disc brakes I would need a T25 bit or wrench which is common on a lot of things these days and easy to get for 6 bolt rotors or nothing for center lock generally as that can use my Shimano cassette tool (or in my case Abbey) and I can get a bleed kit pretty cheaply or just let my local shop do it which is probably once every 2-5 years maybe? Beyond that not really much investment. Heck most of my multi tools have a T25 standard. In terms of rotor truing Abbey makes a nice one that is $23 and also opens bottled caped beverages, Park has one that is $20. Feedback has one on sale that is $11 However I probably wouldn't do that task unless I knew what I was doing and a truing stand which is what you need to true your Rim Brake rotors can get quite expensive for something of quality for a lower cost say Feedback one that is $150 and that is way more than buying all of the disc brake tools you don't have and I would say wheel truing is more difficult than truing a disc rotor and more time consuming.

I am not saying I dislike rim brakes I love them my modern road bike is rim brake and 11 speed Di2 and I love it and have loved it for 7 years or so. Most of my fleet is currently rim brake though I do have a few disc brake bikes most of them hydraulic and they really aren't much hassle occasional pad replacement and maybe a bleed once in a while but pretty fuss free and if I do have a wheel issue I can generally still brake fine.

In the end though while you can still get excellent rim brakes most people want something low maintenance and highly reliable and disc brakes these days are generally that or if they do need maintenance they can bring it to their local shop so they don't need to worry either way but especially on the high end road front people like carbon wheels and carbon wheels are better with disc brakes people do ride them with rim brakes but moving the braking surface to metal rather than epoxy/resin and carbon makes more sense.
Likes For veganbikes:
Old 03-07-24, 12:44 AM
elcruxio

Bikes: 2011 Specialized crux comp, 2013 Specialized Rockhopper Pro

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 862 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 223 Posts
I'm not sure why hydraulic disc brakes would be an issue. Mechanic disc brakes are fine but hydraulics are just so much better.

However on that note I do not see the point in internal cable routing when the cables need to travel through the headset. The whole system makes the headset so much more complicated than it needs be. If the cables are also routed inside the stem and spacers, you'll need a hose removal and rebleed every time you want to adjust stem height. Also there have been instances of catastrophic design flaws where a headset piece has cut a fork steerer. And why has such a system been implemented? A cleaner cockpit. Aesthetics.

There have been arguments made about the aero gains of having no exposed cables but, really? A 20cm length of cable flapping in the wind will have roughly the same effect as a small crease in a jersey.

Luckily I believe the routing through handlebars, stem and spacers isn't mandatory even with headset routed cables. That makes getting a headset routed bike frame at least possible for those who like to mess about their riding position throughout the season.

I don't mind internal routing when it goes in through the frame (downtube for instance). A bit of a hassle when first trying to fish cables through but after they're through there are ways to make the job a non issue.
Old 03-07-24, 09:47 AM
smd4

I have no idea what the original price of this derailleur was in 1997 but lets say it was $100. The same amount invested in the S&P would be worth $987.00. Do you still think bike components are a good investment? Thinking someone is going to throw a few NOS Ultegra Groups in a drawer as a investment towards a grandchild’s education is hilarious. All this over the love of outdated cycling tech. This never gets old!
Yes. I was clearly giving investment advice. S&P. Please.

Nice straw man.

Besides, using an inflation calculator and your example shows that a new RD-7700 at $100 in 1996 should be only $199 today.

Clearly NOS RD-7700s have beaten inflation.

Last edited by smd4; 03-07-24 at 10:08 AM.
Old 03-07-24, 10:00 AM
smd4

Originally Posted by veganbikes
Sorry I am just giving a useful instance of why posting the whole thing is helpful. I am not getting involved in y'all's argument just having some fun. Completely unserious totally joking not calling you a troll or anything just having pure unadulterated fun on a fun forum about bikes. I did not add any words they are all ones that you typed aside from the "..." but again I was having some fun. I was recalling a corny old email signature years ago from someone about saving pixels when I skimmed that post about not wanting to post the whole quote.
I didn't quote AS out of context, as you did above. My comment only applied to what I did quote--nothing more. Just like I didn't need to re-quote the rest of your post, which has absolutely nothing whatsoever to do with your point that I did re-quote, and now respond to.

Get it?

If I had quoted him entirely, it would have been a complete waste, as his opinions that the poster was a troll, etc., weren't my concern.
Old 03-07-24, 07:26 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4359 Post(s)
Liked 4,001 Times in 2,670 Posts
I didn't quote AS out of context, as you did above. My comment only applied to what I did quote--nothing more. Just like I didn't need to re-quote the rest of your post, which has absolutely nothing whatsoever to do with your point that I did re-quote, and now respond to.

Get it?

If I had quoted him entirely, it would have been a complete waste, as his opinions that the poster was a troll, etc., weren't my concern.
Can't have fun...sorry! You should learn to have some fun!
Likes For veganbikes:
Old 03-07-24, 07:51 PM
smd4

Originally Posted by veganbikes
Can't have fun...sorry! You should learn to have some fun!
Whatever gave you that impression?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.