Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Steering seized? Brand new Marlin Trek. Dont buy

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Steering seized? Brand new Marlin Trek. Dont buy

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-24, 10:03 AM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1514 Post(s)
Liked 734 Times in 455 Posts
Once again, someone joins just so they can vent about a poor product experience, then disappear. Not sure what they expect to accomplish.
Old 02-15-24, 10:14 AM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2747 Post(s)
Liked 3,401 Times in 2,058 Posts
Originally Posted by BlazingPedals
Once again, someone joins just so they can vent about a poor product experience, then disappear. Not sure what they expect to accomplish.
OP is a member since 2014
Likes For dedhed:
Old 02-15-24, 07:32 PM
Lucillle
Lucille

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 133 Post(s)
Liked 65 Times in 35 Posts
I really don't like putting a vendor on blast prior to contacting them for assistance. BTW I had a recent experience with Trek customer service and they are awesome. The rep did some research for me, recommended a part (from a different seller,) linked some instructions and is sending me some free cable. Not a high dollar deal for them but they did a lot for me.
Likes For Lucillle:
Old 02-15-24, 08:10 PM
CAT7RDR

Bikes: 1999 Schwinn Peloton Ultegra 10, Kestrel RT-1000 Ultegra, Trek Marlin 6 Deore 29'er

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 823 Post(s)
Liked 1,961 Times in 944 Posts
I have a 2014 Trek Marlin 6 for ten years and beside wearing out brakes and drivetrain parts it has 30K on the clock without a hiccup.
Built like a tank.
Likes For CAT7RDR:
Old 02-15-24, 08:33 PM
Mtracer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 222 Post(s)
Liked 304 Times in 194 Posts
Originally Posted by Lucillle
I really don't like putting a vendor on blast prior to contacting them for assistance. BTW I had a recent experience with Trek customer service and they are awesome. The rep did some research for me, recommended a part (from a different seller,) linked some instructions and is sending me some free cable. Not a high dollar deal for them but they did a lot for me.
This is very much my experience with my local Trek store in Albuquerque New Mexico. Absolutely wonderful customer service on many occasions. Just yesterday, got the steerer tube cut down with same-day service. No down time on my main bike, yay! It's one reason I'm more than happy to pay a premium for my bikes, versus say getting a direct to consumer bike, like a Canyon.

Originally Posted by CAT7RDR
I have a 2014 Trek Marlin 6 for ten years and beside wearing out brakes and drivetrain parts it has 30K on the clock without a hiccup.
Built like a tank.
Marlin 8 here and while I have relatively low miles on it (I'm much more of a road rider), it's built fine for what it is, a solid hard-tail MTB.

Of course, any bike from any source can have an issue, just like every product, ever made. The real test is how the issue is handled by the retailer and manufacturer.

While I agree the OP jumped the gun blasting Trek before apparently even contacting the bike shop, I understand the frustration. I look forward to them coming back here and letting us know how it worked out.
Old 02-15-24, 08:50 PM
rekmeyata

Bikes: 2020 Masi Giramondo 700c; 2013 Lynskey Peloton; 1992 Giant Rincon; 1989 Dawes needs parts; 1985 Trek 660; 1985 Fuji Club; 1984 Schwinn Voyager; 1984 Miyata 612; 1977 Raleigh Competition GS

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1126 Post(s)
Liked 253 Times in 204 Posts
Originally Posted by Eric F
That warranty is for the frame not the components, he probably has either an issue with a component, or an issue with his brain which Trek won't cover at all.
Old 02-16-24, 04:08 PM
GamblerGORD53

Bikes: 2013 Custom SA5w / Rohloff Tourster

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1237 Post(s)
Liked 324 Times in 249 Posts
Why the hell is TREK calling their bike a Marlin?? Trying to confuse the Marin name??
This proves all bearings come tight or poorly lubed.
Old 02-16-24, 04:11 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 4957 Post(s)
Liked 8,099 Times in 3,833 Posts
Originally Posted by rekmeyata
That warranty is for the frame not the components, he probably has either an issue with a component, or an issue with his brain which Trek won't cover at all.
Yes. I acknowledged my mistake in my next post.
Old 02-16-24, 09:08 PM
Kai Winters

Bikes: Specialized Aethos, Specialized Diverge Comp E5

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 242 Post(s)
Liked 456 Times in 267 Posts
So to be practical and think a bit critically the OP should have immediately contacted the shop where he bought the bike. He states it is only one month old so there is no concern regarding warranty repair or replacement.
Why he voices his concern and complaint here is beyond me especially when his last sentence asks if the shop will do something...paraphrasing here of course.
So I guess I/we have to tell this person what to do since he doesn't appear to know.
ggbo951a...call the freakin' bike shop and tell them what you have posted here...geez if he bought a $15 toaster at Wally World and it quit working he likely would just return it for money back or a replacement...this is the same freaking situation.
The shop will tell you to bring the bike in so they can inspect the problem area and if it needs a repair it will be repaired and there should be no cost to you...matter of fact the shop should apologize to you on behalf of Trek.
If it is determined by the shop that it can't be fixed but should be replaced under warranty they will likely contact Trek...or their Trek rep...and go through the process of warranty replacement...This happens with all bike brands from time to time if indeed a replacement is necessary...or a repair will take care of the problem.
If it can be repaired but you don't want the bike you should expect a lot of push back and the likely hood that you will be told it is not possible or the shop may offer to take the bike back as a 'trade in' and offer you some sort of a deal...this too happens and in all honesty nobody wins and in the end both sides are upset and angry...
I do find it interesting that he posted this 6 days ago and poof not a word since...
I am curious as to what he has done and what the shop...if he actually contacted the shop that is...has said to him...
Old 02-20-24, 12:45 PM
Calsun
Banned

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 608 Post(s)
Liked 382 Times in 288 Posts
The shop is what should have been criticized and using Yelp to rate the business that failed to check out the bike before selling it. When in college I worked in a bike shop and every bike needed the bottom bracket, wheel, and head tube bearings check and usually grease needed to be added. It was part of the bike's setup for the buyer. Whether the bike came from Italy or France or other country the bearings had just enough grease to prevent corrosion while the bike was in the warehouse or hold of the ship.
Old 02-20-24, 01:49 PM
wheelreason

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 505 Post(s)
Liked 638 Times in 377 Posts
Originally Posted by GamblerGORD53
Why the hell is TREK calling their bike a Marlin?
One of the Gary Fisher guys probably came up with it.....
Old 02-20-24, 04:14 PM
Trakhak

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 2490 Post(s)
Liked 2,958 Times in 1,681 Posts
Originally Posted by Calsun
The shop is what should have been criticized and using Yelp to rate the business that failed to check out the bike before selling it. When in college I worked in a bike shop and every bike needed the bottom bracket, wheel, and head tube bearings check and usually grease needed to be added. It was part of the bike's setup for the buyer. Whether the bike came from Italy or France or other country the bearings had just enough grease to prevent corrosion while the bike was in the warehouse or hold of the ship.
I worked in five different bike shops in New England and the mid-Atlantic over the course of around 15 years. None of those shops had a policy of routinely checking bearing assemblies for grease during assembly of a new bike. The bearings were routinely adjusted, since they were often too tight, but if a shop owner saw a mechanic backing off a bearing adjustment solely to add grease, there might have been some harsh words spoken.

Reminds me of a conversation I once had with the sales rep from a mid-Atlantic bike parts and accessories distributor. He had been describing a smart-looking new shop that had been opened in Virginia by a well-known ex-bike racer.

I asked idly, "Which shops do you prefer to visit: the ones owned by bike racers or bike enthusiasts or the ones run by businessmen who opened a bike store purely as a business venture?"

He said, "I like talking to the bike guys. But I like the business guys because they usually stay in business and they pay their bills on time."
Likes For Trakhak:
Old 02-20-24, 07:04 PM
smd4

Bikes: 1989 Cinelli Supercorsa

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 3514 Post(s)
Liked 2,927 Times in 1,776 Posts
Originally Posted by Trakhak
I worked in five different bike shops in New England and the mid-Atlantic over the course of around 15 years. None of those shops had a policy of routinely checking bearing assemblies for grease during assembly of a new bike. The bearings were routinely adjusted, since they were often too tight, but if a shop owner saw a mechanic backing off a bearing adjustment solely to add grease, there might have been some harsh words spoken.
Same. Three shops over 10 years.
Old 02-21-24, 10:09 AM
MoAlpha
• —

Bikes: Shmikes

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 10176 Post(s)
Liked 5,873 Times in 3,161 Posts
Originally Posted by Trakhak

Reminds me of a conversation I once had with the sales rep from a mid-Atlantic bike parts and accessories distributor. He had been describing a smart-looking new shop that had been opened in Virginia by a well-known ex-bike racer.

I asked idly, "Which shops do you prefer to visit: the ones owned by bike racers or bike enthusiasts or the ones run by businessmen who opened a bike store purely as a business venture?"

He said, "I like talking to the bike guys. But I like the business guys because they usually stay in business and they pay their bills on time."
I spent a summer during college assembling bikes for a Schwinn shop which had "Lawn Equipment" in its name. We had air tools for speed and did not adjust anything. I don't recall meeting a real mechanic either.