Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

wrong side of the street

Search
Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

wrong side of the street

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-17, 06:05 PM
howsteepisit

Bikes: Canyon Endurace SLX 8Di2

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 510 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 14 Posts
Originally Posted by SylvainG
Worst I saw was last Fall. Young guy, dark clothes, no reflector, no light, no helmet, headphones on, in a pitch black unlit bike path leading to a unlit street with a bike path on the shoulder of the road.
Yet as far as you know they arrived at their destination safely. Not this is a good way to ride, but it's also not a guarantee of death.
Old 05-04-17, 08:58 PM
CB HI
Cycle Year Round

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1316 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 59 Posts
Worst I saw was last Fall. Young guy, dark clothes, no reflector, no light, no helmet, headphones on, in a pitch black unlit bike path leading to a unlit street with a bike path on the shoulder of the road.
So you saw him. Very interesting, some say that is impossible.
Old 05-04-17, 09:05 PM
SylvainG

Bikes: Schwinn Miranda 1990, Giant TCX 2 2012

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 486 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by CB HI
So you saw him. Very interesting, some say that is impossible.
Not if you have a bright light that light up the path in front of you. I did notice him much closer than I was expected to see someone though...
Old 05-04-17, 09:10 PM
CB HI
Cycle Year Round

Not if you have a bright light that light up the path in front of you. I did notice him much closer than I was expected to see someone though...
Yet motorist claim to not see cyclist even with their bright lights and too many cyclist here excuse them.
Old 05-04-17, 09:25 PM
howsteepisit

Isn't there a difference between not seeing and not noticing? I think it may be more accurate to say that drivers do not notice bicyclists.
Old 05-04-17, 09:30 PM
SylvainG

I have this light set to medium or low (it's too bright and dispersed too high so I've added a 'hood' to it to prevent the light to go too high) and this one blinking. If they don't see me coming...

If I set the first one to blink, all three LEDs blinks at the same time and disperses its light way too much. It brightly lights up stops sign 500 meters away. I aim it down a bit and use only one or two LEDs (on unlit path only).

Might buy a light like this one next Fall when I get to ride in the dark again.
Old 05-05-17, 07:59 AM
KD5NRH

Bikes: 2010 Trek 7100

Quoted: 697 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by CB HI
Yet motorist claim to not see cyclist even with their bright lights and too many cyclist here excuse them.
Yet one of the best features of cycling is all the stuff you notice that you wouldn't have seen from a car.
Old 05-05-17, 10:40 AM
mwalsh5757

Bikes: His & Hers 1966 Schwinn Collegiates (Mom and Dad), 3 1998 GT Palomars (The Twins and the Red Headed Step)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jefnvk
Because walkers are doing 2MPH, runners maybe 6-7, and cyclists upwards of 25 at times?
To my shame, the only time I've ever hit someone while driving was a cyclist going the wrong way on the road. It was a long time ago, but it made me modify my driving in a way I observe to this day.

I was waiting at an intersection to make a turn on red. I saw an opportunity to turn, looked to my right for anyone who might be wanting to cross in front of me, looked back again to make sure the opportunity still presented, and then started forward. In the preceding seconds a cyclist had apparently come up the wrong side of the street at some speed and was now riding my hood, the front wheel of the bike beneath my right front tire. Not proud of that, it's just what it was. Luckily he wasn't hurt, and I did pay to have his bike fixed (though I didn't personally feel 100% responsible for what happened).

Now I look again to the right before moving off to be doubly sure that nobody has ridden into my path. However, I've seen near misses since between folks who drive now the way I used to and riders who still fly down the wrong side of the street.
Old 05-05-17, 11:41 AM
pcook489

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 7 Posts
Why do you all take yourselves so seriously? No one person, or any group chat session, is going to change anything. If you want to make a difference, then by all means write your congressmen/senators. *****ing about it here just shows that you have a good idea/problem fix, but that you won't take it to the next level. Calling someone a "Salmon", or providing negative input is not productive. How have you changed the laws? How has your voice been heard? Easy to complain here on the internet -- try talking to someone that is actually breathing.
Old 05-05-17, 11:42 AM
pcook489

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 7 Posts
Didn't mean to get censored. Ooops.
Old 05-05-17, 04:24 PM
CB HI
Cycle Year Round

Originally Posted by pcook489
Why do you all take yourselves so seriously? No one person, or any group chat session, is going to change anything. If you want to make a difference, then by all means write your congressmen/senators. *****ing about it here just shows that you have a good idea/problem fix, but that you won't take it to the next level. Calling someone a "Salmon", or providing negative input is not productive. How have you changed the laws? How has your voice been heard? Easy to complain here on the internet -- try talking to someone that is actually breathing.
Or many here do write and attend meeting for their ideas as well as posting here for additional support on the subject from other cyclist who can also write and attend meetings.

Originally Posted by pcook489
Didn't mean to get censored. Ooops.
Admin and mods want you to type it out and let the system *** the word. What they do not like is trying to work around the auto censor.
Old 05-05-17, 06:02 PM
SylvainG

Originally Posted by mwalsh5757
To my shame, the only time I've ever hit someone while driving was a cyclist going the wrong way on the road. It was a long time ago, but it made me modify my driving in a way I observe to this day.

I was waiting at an intersection to make a turn on red. I saw an opportunity to turn, looked to my right for anyone who might be wanting to cross in front of me, looked back again to make sure the opportunity still presented, and then started forward. In the preceding seconds a cyclist had apparently come up the wrong side of the street at some speed and was now riding my hood, the front wheel of the bike beneath my right front tire. Not proud of that, it's just what it was. Luckily he wasn't hurt, and I did pay to have his bike fixed (though I didn't personally feel 100% responsible for what happened).

Now I look again to the right before moving off to be doubly sure that nobody has ridden into my path. However, I've seen near misses since between folks who drive now the way I used to and riders who still fly down the wrong side of the street.
For me, it was something similar. I was leaving a parking lot and turning right. I looked to my right and saw no one. I look to my left and the road was clear. I looked toward were I was going and started turning right. Then I saw on the corner of my eye a cyclist riding towards me from the right side of my car. I stopped just in time before hitting him.

That's why you ride WITH the traffic, bikes go faster than pedestrians and can creep up on you.
Old 05-06-17, 06:47 AM
phoebeisis
New Orleans

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 157 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
The wrong way riders are supposed to be paying attention
no matter which way you rider
pay attention
Wrong way-better pay more attention.
Just like sidewalk riders-when you are crossing a driveway-(hedges frequently obscure cars bikes)
Pay attention-listen-stop you bike-walk it across.
In any case- a wrong way rider on the shoulder should have a better chance against a TEXTER wandering over the road.
Sidewalks or wrong way-better ride like a pedestrian
Old 05-06-17, 06:54 AM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts
Even on the MUPS in town many walkers walk on the wrong side. I refuse to give way even if I have to stop, and make them move to the left to get around me. A few have said something, and I politely tell them they are walking on the wrong side of the bike path.
Old 05-06-17, 07:26 AM
SylvainG

Originally Posted by rydabent
Even on the MUPS in town many walkers walk on the wrong side. I refuse to give way even if I have to stop, and make them move to the left to get around me. A few have said something, and I politely tell them they are walking on the wrong side of the bike path.
Then you would have stopped in front of me. When walking, I walk AGAINST traffic, including MUP, unless I'm on a dedicated sidewalks (which I'll choose if I have a choice). Maybe it's just me being paranoiac but I prefer to see what's coming toward me then having someone ram me in the back.
Old 05-06-17, 08:12 AM
howsteepisit

Originally Posted by rydabent
I used to think that wy, but one day I realized there is no correct side to walk on a MUP. Facing traffic or with traffic?

Who set the rules and why should anyone follow them on a low speed designed pathway?
Old 05-06-17, 03:09 PM
Chris0516

Bikes: 2003 (24)20-Speed Specialized Allez'

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 396 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Squeezebox
NON-TOURING TOPIC

This evening as I rode the 3 blocks to my son's house I met with 2 separate situations of someone riding on the wrong side of the street. I said something about it. Mainly how dangerous it is. I was met with severe resistance, One person became threatening. So the interactions did not go well.
So what do you do when you are met with someone on the wrong side of the street? Do you say something? Or just get away from a dangerous person, to protect yourself? As a cyclist I want to be treated with respect by car drivers. But with too much of this stupidity happening, I can see why so many drivers see cyclists as idiots. So what do you do? What do you think we should do as serious cyclists?
I have encountered them before and stopped them.

1. I remind them about the illegality of what they are doing.

2. I remind them about the 'combined speed factor', should they happen to get killed.

3. I tell them about my physical health, that they could very easily end up with, if they weren't killed.

4. I tell them, not only could they get the same health issues. But also end up in worse shape.

5. I tell them all three of my physical health issues have no cure.
Old 05-07-17, 07:43 PM
drlogik 

Bikes: '87-ish Pinarello Montello; '89 Nishiki Ariel; '85 Raleigh Wyoming, '16 Wabi Special, '16 Wabi Classic, '14 Kona Cinder Cone

Quoted: 699 Post(s)
Liked 409 Times in 255 Posts
I won't say a word unless they are causing a dangerous situation for me; such as, a two lane road and cars have to go in to my lane dangerously close to pass. Drivers are not used to passing cyclists coming at them and it's more difficult for most to discern the distance needed to safely pass. I know I get a little jittery when that happens, which isn't often, and I'm a cyclist.

I figure they made a conscious decision to do that and who am I to tell them otherwise.