Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Expensive bicycle guilt.

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Expensive bicycle guilt.

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-16, 05:26 PM
Vintage Raleigh

Bikes: 1974 Copper Raleigh International, 1975 Olive Green Raleigh Grand Prix, 1974 Raleigh Europa Custom

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I have 5 bikes - too many to ride really. All I need are a shopping and a longer distance rider.
The International was an expensive exercise, two are gas pipe boom bikes, one a gas pipe frankenbike for my daughter and one a 90s road bike in need of a restoration - after the International project I'll feel guilty about doing that one up. Faffing about does keep me sane though
Chrome Molly

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 301 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 15 Posts
Cycling is my main and favorite hobby. It also keeps me in decent shape while other guys up and down the block are toting around 30-140 extra pounds. The longer my cycling is a way of life the less guilty I feel about having a few nicer bikes in with the cheaper projects.

The neighbors have rv's, motorcycles, boats, etc. Everyone has something that is a drain on the budget vs how everyone else thinks it "should" be. You are your advocate and cycling is not betting on the ponies, a $40k bass boat pulled by a $50k truck, or anyone else's comparative business...

Last edited by Chrome Molly; 10-15-16 at 05:31 PM.
Fahrenheit531 
52psi

Bikes: Schwinn Volare ('78); Raleigh Competition GS ('79)

Quoted: 790 Post(s)
Liked 802 Times in 391 Posts
Originally Posted by qcpmsame
I clear everything with my wife, no surprises on her. She realizes that its much more healthy and cheaper than some other pursuits, and besides, cycling truthfully saved my life, she kind of likes having me around, for some reason I cannot fathom. No guilt to be had here.
I could've written this part. Well said.
A race bike in any era is a highly personal choice that at its "best" balances the requirements of fit, weight, handling, durability and cost tempered by the willingness to toss it and oneself down the pavement at considerable speed. ~Bandera
Old 10-15-16, 05:36 PM
qcpmsame 
Semper Fi

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 1172 Post(s)
Liked 358 Times in 241 Posts
Originally Posted by J.Oxley
I could've written this part. Well said.
Thanks much, Its totally true, in 2012 I was in Stage 3B renal failure, rated as morbidly obese, had endured 16 major surgeries in 10 years and was addicted to Rx pain killers. I started riding to take my mind of the pain, and to try and exercise instead of lying around being useless. Lost over 100 lbs, have all lab numbers in the optimal area and have a 40+ year marriage to the girl from HS I fell in love with in the 9th grade. Life can be pretty good when you work at it. No sweat to talk with her about things, she reciprocates and she has a totally successful business and makes a "bit" more money than I do, too.

Glad that you feel the same JOx.

Bill

I Can Do All Things Through Him, Who Gives Me Strength. Philippians 4:13

Old 10-15-16, 06:36 PM
northbend 

Bikes: 1937 Hobbs; 1977 Bruce Gordon; 1987 Bill Holland; 1988 Schwinn Paramount (Fixed gear); 1999 Fat City Yo Eddy (MTB); 2018 Woodrup (Touring) 2016 Ritchey breakaway

Mentioned: 291 Post(s)
Quoted: 554 Post(s)
Liked 3,794 Times in 668 Posts
Nope. No guilt here.
Old 10-15-16, 07:53 PM
repechage

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 3464 Post(s)
Liked 2,831 Times in 1,997 Posts
My bikes out value my cars.
Excluding the wife's here.
Old 10-15-16, 08:00 PM
rccardr 
aka: Dr. Cannondale

Mentioned: 234 Post(s)
Quoted: 2155 Post(s)
Liked 3,406 Times in 1,206 Posts
Nope, no guilt here, either.
Daughter is married & off the payroll, we watch our grandson one day a week and spoil him rotten.
Wife and I both worked our butts off for 45 years, lived well below our means, and retired early enough to enjoy it.
Bikes are much cheaper than chasing blondes and buying red Corvettes. Or ar least that's what I tell my wife....
Old 10-15-16, 08:02 PM
Essthreetee

Bikes: 2001 LeMond Nevada City, ‘92 Merlin Titanium, '84 Torpado Super Strada, ‘84 Schwinn Tempo, '81 Bianchi Limites, '73 Raleigh Supercourse

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 161 Post(s)
Liked 69 Times in 41 Posts
I have 5 bikes. The most expensive was $600. And in order to get it, I sold my bass guitar. So essentially it was zero out of the budget. The others were free, and I spent about $200 to upgrade them. Again, I found the money by selling off other parts or things that I no longer used. I TRY to not take funds out of the family account, but if I do...my wife knows about it.

My wife and kids come first. Their needs and desires are always met first.
Old 10-15-16, 08:03 PM
sloar 

Bikes: they change so much I'm tired of updating this

Mentioned: 168 Post(s)
Quoted: 1212 Post(s)
Liked 1,128 Times in 427 Posts
My kids are still young enough to bleed me dry. Its getting close to the dreaded time to buy my oldest her first car.
Old 10-15-16, 08:05 PM
Fahrenheit531 
52psi

Bikes: Schwinn Volare ('78); Raleigh Competition GS ('79)

Quoted: 790 Post(s)
Liked 802 Times in 391 Posts
@Essthreetee: Just noticed your signature. The rubber duck quote is classic, and I'll never be able to un-see the drowning man.
A race bike in any era is a highly personal choice that at its "best" balances the requirements of fit, weight, handling, durability and cost tempered by the willingness to toss it and oneself down the pavement at considerable speed. ~Bandera
Old 10-15-16, 08:08 PM
obrentharris 

Bikes: Indeed!

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 1507 Post(s)
Liked 3,478 Times in 1,132 Posts
Now that both kids are through school I do spend more money on bikes for myself. But I always had one nice road bike and one nice mountain bike. My two kids had nice bikes also. My son loved mountain biking, so as he outgrew each bike, I made sure that the new one was on par with mine. It seemed only fair. Money was never so tight that I had to choose between having a couple of nice bikes and paying for bikes, music lessons, and soccer gear for the kids: For that I am grateful.
Brent
Old 10-15-16, 08:13 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10965 Post(s)
Liked 7,491 Times in 4,189 Posts
My wife and 2 girls all ride...horses. Soon, we will own a horse instead of leasing one.

My bikes and riding is by far the cheapest hobby in the household. Even still, i hesitate to build too quickly and check all over for the best combo of price and quality when searching for components. Its how i am wired.

Family costs, both present and future, come first.
I used to play golf a lot. Like a whole lot and competitively. Once out of school and i had to pay for it on my own, i learned just how expenive it really is. $40-50 per round near me (which is relatively cheap). I dont play anymore, but use golf as a barometer for how insanely cheap bicycles are, relative to clubs and playing golf a couple times a week.

Last edited by mstateglfr; 10-15-16 at 08:17 PM.
Old 10-15-16, 08:20 PM
WolfRyder

Bikes: Not that many, just getting started.

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 233 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by beech333
I don't smoke or drink. I pay our mortgage and invest 28% of my income for retirement. After working 70 hour weeks for about a year, I deserved to reward myself and did so.
It's amazing how much of a cash suck alcohol and smokes can be. I have slowed down on the spirits and Cig's quite a bit, but used to like a decent bottle of red wine and a good Microbrew. I used to smoke also, and hated cheap o brands to the point where I would refuse a crap cigarette. I used to smoke Export A lights or Gauloises cigarettes. Maybe because I am half French I get picky about smokes and wine.

Anyway that was a lot of cash expended every month like $150 to 200 extra. Now forget it I put put that towards bike stuff hobby.

Last edited by WolfRyder; 10-15-16 at 08:37 PM.
Old 10-15-16, 08:23 PM
greg3rd48 

Bikes: '19 Fuji Gran Fondo 1.5, '72 Peugeot PX10, '71ish Gitane Super Corsa, '78 Fuji Newest, '89 Fuji Ace, '94 Cannondale R600, early '70s LeJeune Pro project

Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Quoted: 293 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 101 Posts
I forgot to add that I have accrued less than 500 commuting miles on "my" vehicle in almost two years so I have certainly saved on vehicle maintenance and avoided burning untold gallons of fossil fuels in the meantime.

Last edited by greg3rd48; 10-16-16 at 11:21 AM.
Old 10-15-16, 08:31 PM
Essthreetee

Bikes: 2001 LeMond Nevada City, ‘92 Merlin Titanium, '84 Torpado Super Strada, ‘84 Schwinn Tempo, '81 Bianchi Limites, '73 Raleigh Supercourse

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 161 Post(s)
Liked 69 Times in 41 Posts
Originally Posted by sloar
My kids are still young enough to bleed me dry. Its getting close to the dreaded time to buy my oldest her first car.
You and me both. Except we just bought our oldest her first car...that was a GREAT memory. And the time spent with her teaching her how to drive was priceless.

Originally Posted by J.Oxley
@Essthreetee: Just noticed your signature. The rubber duck quote is classic, and I'll never be able to un-see the drowning man.
It's very few who know about Rubber Duck. And the lol always makes me laugh. Also, being a math teacher, every time I write =0 I tell the kids that looks like someone with their mouth open...sideways. I can't not see it either.
Old 10-15-16, 08:54 PM
Pompiere

Bikes: 1984 Miyata 310, 1986 Schwinn Sierra, 2011 Jamis Quest, 1980 Peugeot TH8 Tandem, 1992 Performance Parabola, 1987 Ross Mt. Hood, 1988 Schwinn LeTour, 1988 Trek 400T, 1981 Fuji S12-S LTD, 197? FW Evans

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 533 Post(s)
Liked 1,007 Times in 516 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr
I used to play golf a lot. Like a whole lot and competitively. Once out of school and i had to pay for it on my own, i learned just how expenive it really is. $40-50 per round near me (which is relatively cheap). I dont play anymore, but use golf as a barometer for how insanely cheap bicycles are, relative to clubs and playing golf a couple times a week.
My wife's dad was and her brothers are all golfers, so she knows how expensive it is. She has no issue with me spending money on bike related stuff. I am lucky enough to have a job that pays well and I can work an occasional overtime day to pad the budget with some mad money. I did wait until after she bought her expensive sewing machine before buying a new bike for about the same price, but both purchases were with full disclosure.
Old 10-15-16, 09:31 PM
nesteel 

Bikes: See the signature....

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 550 Post(s)
Liked 191 Times in 114 Posts
Anyone of the bikes I built this year could've financed a weekend trip to see my mother, easily. But instead, I find myself selling several of them off to pay off the funeral home bill after her death. Guilt? Yeah, I'm carrying more than a little.
Old 10-15-16, 10:31 PM
Chris W.

Bikes: 76' Centrurion Pro-Tour, 86' Specialized Rock Hopper, 88' Centurion Iron Man, 89' Bruce Gordon "Hikari", 95' Rock Hopper Ultra.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
This too will pass (incredibly fast too!).
Cheers,
Chris
Old 10-15-16, 10:31 PM
USAZorro
Señor Member

Bikes: Mostly English - predominantly Raleighs

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 1492 Post(s)
Liked 1,095 Times in 641 Posts
Not guilt, really, but I've always felt pretentious riding the Hetchins. The 2000 Bob Jackson - never had that issue.
Old 10-15-16, 11:01 PM
ddeand 

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 206 Post(s)
Liked 102 Times in 46 Posts
There could be guilt, but only if your hobby supercedes the needs of your family. I think many of us are mesmerized by shiney object, and we need to buy that one bike that will complete us - until the next shiney object catches our eye. In the end, we can't get our cars in the garage. As a retiree on a fixed income, I finally made peace with this affliction by limiting myself to owning only one bike per style of riding. For me that includes one mountain bike, one cyclocross bike (gravel, commute, and road), and one vintage road bike. The vintage bike is the wild card, and it will be the one that changes over time. If I find a decent deal on an old bike, I'll get it and build it up. Then, I'll choose which vintage bike I like best and sell the other. That process will likely repeat itself until I'm too old to ride or wrench. It's a nice equilibrium that works for me.

The same issues apply to guitar players. At one time, I had 16 guitars - and could hardly play any of them. Now, I'm down to one electric and one acoustic (both vintage) and am very happy.

So I agree that you shouldn't feel guilty as long as your hobby sustains itself. Just enjoy it!
Old 10-15-16, 11:06 PM
Dave Cutter

Bikes: '17 Access Old Turnpike Gravel bike, '14 Trek 1.1, '13 Cannondale CAAD 10, '98 CAD 2, R300

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 1571 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts
Do any of you guys..... ever feel guilty...?
Yes! Of course we do. Every normal human on Earth has exactly the same emotions/feeling as do you. And most people that have owned a dog... know that even our four legged friends know the feeling of guilt.

Guilt, shame, pride, envy, jealousy, hate, love, fear...... there are actually many more than I am going to try and list here. And I swear to God... I know I feel each and every one.

Should you feel guilty about owning a nice bike? I am clueless there. Talk to your wife, talk to your spiritual leader/guide. Spend time in meditative thought and/or prayer. It doesn't matter. We either struggle with our feeling... or we accept them. I can tend to be a bit of an asshat myself. I became a happy man only after I realized that everyone knew that about me... and was more OK with it... than I was.

I own more than one bike. Some rotate through. I buy them, restore them, enjoy them, sell them... and repeat. I don't flip bikes. But I profit enough in my spare time efforts to more-or-less pay for my cycling hobby. It sounds like you could do the same.
Old 10-15-16, 11:37 PM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

Bikes: It's complicated.

Mentioned: 1299 Post(s)
Quoted: 4682 Post(s)
Liked 5,802 Times in 2,286 Posts
Not after spending just about zero on myself for 15 years. Everything went into the house, then house and kids. Moving from California to Oregon gave us a one time windfall, I used a small percentage of it to get back into cycling, learning to braze, and building up tools. I know that once I retire I'd be chomping at the bit to do something, might as well be working on bikes, and having a bit of income while doing it.
Old 10-15-16, 11:46 PM
Lascauxcaveman 

Bikes: A green one, "Ragleigh," or something.

Mentioned: 194 Post(s)
Quoted: 1627 Post(s)
Liked 630 Times in 356 Posts
I feel more guilty about all the cheap bikes I keep hanging around. Far too many to use, taking up space.

I guess I have only one bike in the $1000 range anyway, and the next most expensive one was exactly $500. My problem is I'm blessed/cursed with ample storage space and therefore unmotivated to get rid of the underused bikes and languishing projects.
● 1971 Grandis SL ● 1972 Lambert Grand Prix frankenbike ● 1972 Raleigh Super Course fixie ● 1973 Nishiki Semi-Pro ● 1979 Motobecane Grand Jubile ●1980 Apollo "Legnano" ● 1984 Peugeot Vagabond ● 1985 Shogun Prairie Breaker ● 1986 Merckx Super Corsa ● 1987 Schwinn Tempo ● 1988 Schwinn Voyageur ● 1989 Bottechia Team ADR replica ● 1990 Cannondale ST600 ● 1993 Technium RT600 ● 1996 Kona Lava Dome ●

Old 10-16-16, 12:39 AM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Quoted: 5888 Post(s)
Liked 3,471 Times in 2,079 Posts
Originally Posted by FBinNY
I you can buy, build and sell used bikes at break even or close you have a cheap hobby, so your family isn't losing anything. snip . . .

The fact is that cycling can be a very inexpensive hobby, and when you factor the possible utility and health benefits it's money well spent ---- if you keep it simple.
+ 1. I just keep an account of what I spend and what I sell. As long as I'm close to breaking even, there is zero impact on the family budget.
Old 10-16-16, 06:14 AM
rgver

Bikes: 1 frame and a heap of pieces

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
My bike buying and selling paid for more buying and for my bikes. My wife rolled her eyes when she saw another bike being wrestled out of the car or box of parts carried in after the flea market or box arrive from Niagara .
When it came time for our move from MA to the UK I sold most of my bikes and all my parts stash. I sold A Tommasini Competizione, Pinarello Catena Lusso, Pinarello Cadore, Centurion Ironman, brifter modded Viscount Aerospace GP, Centurion LeMans, Raleigh GP, 2 Miyata 112, Windsor Carrera Sport, Panasonic Sport 500 and 1000, Motobecane Mirage, Super Mirage and Nomade, 3 Raleigh Sports and a couple of old MTBs. As you can imagine, once all were sold it added a healthy boost to our moving fund.
All these bikes were all profit over and above the all family fun days my hobby paid for, whenever I sold a bike we would go for a meal out somewhere, sometimes we would go for a day to the beach or zoo on my bike fund.

Do I feel guilty spending money on bikes?

Yes, everytime, every bike and every part.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.