Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Front wheel malfunctioning after crash

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Front wheel malfunctioning after crash

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-21, 09:19 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10964 Post(s)
Liked 7,491 Times in 4,189 Posts
Originally Posted by marwahnur27
cmon man, the whole point of this forum is so we could help each other out without needing to go to the bike shop for every little thing. No one knows why a front wheel would steer to one direction automatically when doing no hander? I know it has something to do with the fork maybe???
from looking straight down the top frame and head tube the front wheel is literally to the left of it all

You seem to know why the front wheel steers to one direction with riding no hands since you can visibly see the wheel not in line with the top tube and head tube.
What more do you want from people here? They have said what possible reasons for the bike to not work well and you have already confirmed the bike is jacked up.
Old 03-23-21, 10:14 AM
spelger

Bikes: yes, i have one

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1138 Post(s)
Liked 1,182 Times in 687 Posts
Originally Posted by GlennR
https://www.dot.ny.gov/display/programs/bicycle/faq
"In New York State, all bicyclists under the age of 14 years old are required to wear safety certified bicycle helmets when they are operators or passengers on bicycles (Sec. 1238(5)). Children aged 1 to 4 must wear certified bicycle helmet and ride in specially designed child safety seats. Children under 1 are prohibited from being transported on a bicycle (Sec. 1238(1)(2)). Any parent or guardian who permits his or her child to violate the helmet law is subject to a fine of up to $50 (Sec. 1238(3),(6)(a)). Certain communities in New York have passed local ordinances regarding helmet use for bicyclists. For example, Rockland and Erie counties require everyone riding bicycles on county property, regardless of age, to wear approved bicycle helmets."

It's not a state law for adults and trust me... it's never enforced, unless there's an accident that involves serious injury.
it was about 40 years ago for me. i'm fairly certain that the law you quoted is prevalent everywhere these days. surprised bubble wrap isn't required by now.
Old 03-23-21, 11:52 AM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6971 Post(s)
Liked 10,967 Times in 4,692 Posts
Nice....

I see a career in politics in your future.
Old 03-23-21, 12:20 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,699 Times in 2,519 Posts
Post pictures in an album in your gallery and we can rescue them for you and post them in here.

It's not that hard to tell that your frame or fork is bent. It could be both. Otoh, have you checked to see that the wheel didn't pull out of the dropout a little?
Likes For unterhausen:
Old 03-23-21, 02:20 PM
Barry2 
LR÷P=HR

Bikes: 1981 Holdsworth Special, 1993 C-dale MT3000 & 1996 F700CAD3, 2018 Cervelo R3 & 2022 R5, JustGo Runt, Ridley Oval, Kickr Bike 8-)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 867 Post(s)
Liked 1,205 Times in 694 Posts
I'll take a stab at explaining why you wont find a fix here at Bike Forums for this particular question.

When a bike takes an impact to the front, a few of things can happen, and the're all bad.

1. The fork can bend.
This will cause the front wheel to become closer to the pedals.
This weakens the fork and can result in fork failing completely.

2. The Frame can bend.
This will cause the front wheel to become closer to the pedals.
This weakens the frame and can result in frame failure.

3. The Front wheel can be damaged
This can cause a wheel to fail.

All of these failures can cause the rider to go over the handlebars and hit the ground head first.

As bike riders ourselves, we are concerned for your safety and the safety of others that might unknowingly ride the bike you have crashed.
It is for this reason, that having the bike professionally evaluated by a good quality bike store is the common reply to your inquiry.

I hope this helps you understand the concerns expressed here among the members.
And I'm sure you really don't wish to cause harm to another family member.

Barry
Likes For Barry2:
Old 03-23-21, 03:34 PM
StanSeven
Administrator

Bikes: Cervelo C5, Guru Photon, Waterford, Specialized CX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1106 Post(s)
Liked 2,180 Times in 1,470 Posts
Moving this thread to Mechanics. Hopefully some professionals can shed some advice to the OP
Old 03-23-21, 03:53 PM
GlennR
On Your Left

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR, Sram eTap, Zipp 303

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 3004 Post(s)
Liked 2,433 Times in 1,187 Posts
Originally Posted by StanSeven
Hopefully some professionals can shed some advice to the OP
Not sure how a professional can diagnose the problem any better than any non-professionals without seeing the bike in person.

Seems pretty cut and dry.... impact, wheel close to pedals, not going straight. Something is bent.
Likes For GlennR:
Old 03-23-21, 06:08 PM
Siu Blue Wind
Homey

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Quoted: 2427 Post(s)
Liked 1,407 Times in 901 Posts
Not sure how a professional can diagnose the problem any better than any non-professionals without seeing the bike in person.

Seems pretty cut and dry.... impact, wheel close to pedals, not going straight. Something is bent.
Well sometimes when you get people calling you a troll and joshing you sometimes you dont' take them seriously. Maybe he will be convinced if he gets more validation.
And he might be able to send pics by then.
Or it can NOT be moved just to appease you.
Please dont outsmart the censor. That is a very expensive censor and every time one of you guys outsmart it it makes someone at the home office feel bad. We dont wanna do that. So dont cleverly disguise bad words.
Old 03-23-21, 06:27 PM
GlennR
On Your Left

Originally Posted by Siu Blue Wind
Well sometimes when you get people calling you a troll and joshing you sometimes you dont' take them seriously. Maybe he will be convinced if he gets more validation.
None of this matters, he's going to blame his uncle.

This is what teenagers do, they take their parents property, without permission, damage it and then try to hide.
Old 03-23-21, 06:54 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6971 Post(s)
Liked 10,967 Times in 4,692 Posts

This is what teenagers do, they take their parents property, without permission, damage it and then try to hide.
I didn't do that stuff as a teenager.

(At least, that's what I tell my daughter.)
Old 03-23-21, 07:09 PM
GlennR
On Your Left

Originally Posted by Koyote
I didn't do that stuff as a teenager.

(At least, that's what I tell my daughter.)
16 years ago, my 14 year old son knocked his bike over and it hit my car. he pulled the car cover up and this is what he found.

When i got home he was waiting for me and told me wheat happened. While i was not pleased I hugged him and told him I was proud of his honesty. You see my son became a Eagle Scout just a few months before and the scouts teach personal responsibility. I put some touch up paint on it and when dry did some polishing. I decided to leave the dent since it gave the car character.

I still have the car and no one has ever pointed out the dent.

Last edited by GlennR; 03-23-21 at 07:56 PM.
Likes For GlennR:
Old 03-23-21, 07:21 PM
cxwrench

Bikes: lots

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1958 Post(s)
Liked 2,932 Times in 1,489 Posts

Exactly...something is bent. Doesn't matter where you put the thread, if there are no photos that's the only conclusion you can reach.

Validation? Please...
Old 03-23-21, 08:12 PM
marwahnur27

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Pics of the damage

I just uploaded the pics to my gallery under my pictures. I know there are none of the fork but it’s late right now so I can’t rlly go out. In the pics I layed the bike straight down and that’s how the front wheel looked. But there’s rlly no one here that’s ever crashed like this and had this issue
Old 03-23-21, 08:13 PM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2747 Post(s)
Liked 3,398 Times in 2,057 Posts
https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-v...-s-bent-2.html

​​​​​​https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-v...-too-bent.html
Likes For dedhed:
Old 03-23-21, 08:40 PM
marwahnur27

Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
does a bent fork move the wheel to the left tho
Old 03-23-21, 08:52 PM
cxwrench

You're kidding, right? Does it make sense to you if I say 'It depends on how it's bent'? You have to be able to understand that.
Old 03-23-21, 08:58 PM
marwahnur27

Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
[QUOTE=Siu Blue Wind;21981726]Well sometimes when you get people calling you a troll and joshing you sometimes you dont' take them seriously. Maybe he will be convinced if he gets more validation.

Nah, im okay with the "joshing". Im just curious is this like a british website or something, cuz u guys are funny. But im gunna be honest i really have no idea about bikes, i had to google image the parts of a bike to even make this thread with the correct terminology. if there rlly is no way i can just pull it back to shape how much should i expect to pay in a bike shop. Ive never been and i dont wanna get robbed, so for fixing the pedal from hiiting the front wheel and the wheel from automatically veering right is it $100-200 or upward?
Old 03-23-21, 09:03 PM
marwahnur27

Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
I swear im not trying to troll, but how does the fork move it to left or right. I get how me smashing with the front wheel moved the wheel closer to the pedal by pushing it back but i guess the collision could have also moved the whole fork to one side as well
Likes For marwahnur27:
Old 03-23-21, 09:21 PM
marwahnur27

Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
I just found pics of the fork even though there from far. There in my gallery in my pictures, i dont know why i cant add them to a new album but if anyone wants to take a look and tell how bad the damage looks?
Old 03-23-21, 10:26 PM
Siu Blue Wind
Homey

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Quoted: 2427 Post(s)
Liked 1,407 Times in 901 Posts

I wasn't aware that he took the bike without permission, I thought he was scared of telling his dad about the damage.

Originally Posted by cxwrench
You're kidding, right? Does it make sense to you if I say 'It depends on how it's bent'? You have to be able to understand that.
Whoa pull in the reigns, rider. You were not too long ago the one to ask questions. Remember how it was when people were rude to you and treated you like you were stupid? This is a kid, here. Reel yer neck in.
Please dont outsmart the censor. That is a very expensive censor and every time one of you guys outsmart it it makes someone at the home office feel bad. We dont wanna do that. So dont cleverly disguise bad words.
Old 03-23-21, 11:35 PM
cxwrench

I wasn't aware that he took the bike without permission, I thought he was scared of telling his dad about the damage.

Whoa pull in the reigns, rider. You were not too long ago the one to ask questions. Remember how it was when people were rude to you and treated you like you were stupid? This is a kid, here. Reel yer neck in.
Uhmmm no. I was never like this. Reel my neck in? What's that supposed to mean? Aren't you the head mod here?
Old 03-24-21, 12:32 AM
Geepig

Bikes: Romet Jubilat x 4, Wigry x 1, Turing x 1

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 194 Post(s)
Liked 204 Times in 151 Posts
I ran my brother's bike into the back of a car, and it moved the wheel so far back that I could only steer right because the wheel now hit the downtube of the frame. I actually, the only time in my life, took it to a bike shop and he showed me that that frame was coming apart. I told my brother it had gone rusty and I had to throw it out. I am not sure he believed me, but what the heck, I was his brother.

I ran my own bike into a curb, and it bent the forks back and slightly to one side. I bought replacement forks and after much struggling I managed to fit them. I did a good job, but I know the frame was bent because forever afterwards I had to lean the bike to the left to get it to go in a straight line with my hands off the bars.

You could always part the bike out to sell everything on an auction site, get a saturday job and then buy your own bike - or find one. Three of the bikes in my garage came from dumpsters in the past six months - two I have parted out as being of no interest to me.

Oh yeah, just don't be surprised when you are reminded of what you did to your bike in 30-40 years time. Taking responsibility for your bike, its maintenance and replacing of parts, and not relying on anyone else, helps a lot because then no one has to know what you are doing with it. I bought my replacement front wheel and forks using my own savings, and no one but me remembers any more because no one knew the details
Old 03-24-21, 03:59 AM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2747 Post(s)
Liked 3,398 Times in 2,057 Posts
[QUOTE=marwahnur27;21981956]

Nah, im okay with the "joshing". Im just curious is this like a british website or something, cuz u guys are funny. But im gunna be honest i really have no idea about bikes, i had to google image the parts of a bike to even make this thread with the correct terminology. if there rlly is no way i can just pull it back to shape how much should i expect to pay in a bike shop. Ive never been and i dont wanna get robbed, so for fixing the pedal from hiiting the front wheel and the wheel from automatically veering right is it $100-200 or upward?
Most shops won't even touch fork or frame straightening due to liability issues.

​​​​​​https://www.google.com/search?q=bent...4dUDCA0&uact=5
Likes For dedhed:
Old 03-24-21, 04:52 AM
Amt0571

Bikes: Canyon Grand Canyon AL SL 8.0, Triban RC520 Gravel Ltd, Btwin Ultra 520 AF GF, Triban Road 7, Benotto 850

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 402 Post(s)
Liked 215 Times in 137 Posts
nothing was cracked, my noggin included was left intact. I have ridden the bike multiple times after and it works fine but not as smooth as before. It feels completely safe to me but as I’ve said no handing is not possible anymore and the front wheel probably got pushed back next to the pedal which is why it touches when I try to make turns. I just thought maybe I would be able to get away with it unnoticed if there was a quick fix to it. Thing is I don’t know exactly what to search to fix it because I don’t know which part is what and what part is wrong.
It may not be cracked. It may just be bent. Or it's cracked and you haven't seen it.

Either way something is bent, and possibly something is going to break.

Personally, I would search for a frame and fork or even whole bike replacement. It's not worth the risk IMHO. A fork or frame failing catastrophically while riding is not a joke.
Old 03-24-21, 06:40 AM
Bald Paul

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 823 Post(s)
Liked 1,659 Times in 784 Posts
So far the back i up plan has been to blame it on my uncle,
Even without pictures, I think we've identified the 'malfunction' here.
Likes For Bald Paul:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.