Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Bike gadgets and stuff that improves the experience

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-24, 09:03 PM
CrBiker96

Bikes: XDS MT3 XT, SCALE 940 2017, GIANT CONTEND SL

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

Hello everyone,

Im thinking on doing good investments, so a question came to my mind and I´m coming up to the experts,

What gadgets or stuff you bought you think improved your cycling experience,

I have a Wahoo Element Roam that truly improved my experience as I had a simple GPS before that one,

Clipless pedals, and clothes sure improved,

Right now im thinking to buy a Gopro with all the mounts, but not sure if this will be as i imagine,

What other stuff come to your mind,
Old 03-28-24, 09:53 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6972 Post(s)
Liked 10,968 Times in 4,692 Posts
Bikes have improved my cycling experience.
Likes For Koyote:
Old 03-28-24, 10:00 PM
slow rollin

Bikes: n+1

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 26 Posts
water bottle+cage.
Long johns+arm warmers or some kind of removable wind breaker for the winter
gloves
Dialing in your bike fit
More training/weight loss (most important).
If you ride on bad roads fast rolling big tires
Old 03-28-24, 10:20 PM
Barry2 
LR÷P=HR

Bikes: 1981 Holdsworth Special, 1993 C-dale MT3000 & 1996 F700CAD3, 2018 Cervelo R3 & 2022 R5, JustGo Runt, Ridley Oval, Kickr Bike 8-)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 867 Post(s)
Liked 1,205 Times in 694 Posts
If you cycle on the road……. A mirror

Barry
Likes For Barry2:
Old 03-29-24, 04:22 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18420 Post(s)
Liked 15,564 Times in 7,333 Posts
Cue sheet clip.
Old 03-29-24, 05:08 AM
CAT7RDR

Bikes: 1999 Schwinn Peloton Ultegra 10, Kestrel RT-1000 Ultegra, Trek Marlin 6 Deore 29'er

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 822 Post(s)
Liked 1,961 Times in 944 Posts
Best bang for the buck bike gadget?
Understanding that riding in commercial free zones = less traffic and a more enjoyable experience.
The human brain can do wonders.
Likes For CAT7RDR:
Old 03-29-24, 05:22 AM
noimagination

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 365 Post(s)
Liked 419 Times in 248 Posts
Properly fitting cycling clothes.

Yes, strictly speaking, they're not necessary for riding. I've seen people ride centuries in blue jeans. However, I've ridden in both, and it's more enjoyable to ride in:
- cycling bibs with chamois - no waistband digging into my waist, no tugging waistband up during a ride, no flapping material, no seams between my butt and the saddle, a chamois and material that move with my body with nothing to get in the way, ride a nice saddle with no padding (Brooks), or minimal padding (SI Flite or equivalent) to avoid chafing;
- cycling jersey with rear pockets - no flapping material chafing my nipples, wicks away sweat which dries in the breeze, pockets to hold necessities (phone, ID/$$, hankie, cleat covers, snack) readily available without having to stop, zipper for adjusting ventilation;
- close fitting base layer, wicks away sweat, feels nice against skin, added protection against UV;
- wool socks (all temps), keep feet drier and warm (in cold temps), don't bunch up, don't get hot spots that I sometimes get with socks made from 100% synthetic materials; available in various weights for different temps;
- cycling shoes, stiff sole to prevent tired arches and pain in ball of foot, wide enough to not pinch toes.

Yes, I'm a MAMIL (actually, maybe I've "graduated" to OMIL?), and I look a little silly, but for rides of several hours putting out a lot of effort it is far more important to be wearing functional clothes than to avoid looking like a dork.
Likes For noimagination:
Old 03-29-24, 05:55 AM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4414 Post(s)
Liked 4,867 Times in 3,012 Posts
For performance road biking:-

Power meter and GPS head unit
Tubeless 30 mm tyres
Disc brakes
Electronic gear shift
Compact wide range gearing
Garmin Varia rear light/radar

For mtb:-

Dropper seat post
Slacker frame geometry
1x drivetrain
29” wheels
Old 03-29-24, 06:07 AM
13ollocks

Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 154 Times in 95 Posts
Originally Posted by CrBiker96
Hello everyone,

Im thinking on doing good investments, so a question came to my mind and I´m coming up to the experts,

What gadgets or stuff you bought you think improved your cycling experience,

I have a Wahoo Element Roam that truly improved my experience as I had a simple GPS before that one,

Clipless pedals, and clothes sure improved,

Right now im thinking to buy a Gopro with all the mounts, but not sure if this will be as i imagine,

What other stuff come to your mind,
GPS has been useful, and the Varia radar has been great. If I want to go way back, “brifters” and clipless significantly changed/improved my riding.
Im more skeptical about a GoPro - yes, it’ll capture video, but producing slick, audible, interesting footage takes time, effort, usually multiple takes, and equipment - raw GoPro footage will likely be monotonous (ie no viewpoint changes and editing cuts to make it interesting) and noisy (ie, a lot of wind noise) without extra mic’ing. It’ll really only you who’ll be watching it, because no one else will be very interested, and rewatching your own riding becomes old fast. Good video of a ride largely requires that the ride becomes about making the video, not about the riding. By way of example, I tried my hand at underwater photography years ago, but capturing good pics required a lot of lying on my belly setting up shots, rather than the actual diving that got me in the water to start with. I decided I preferred diving. I still brought a camera in case I saw something interesting, but National Geographic wasn’t going to be interested in my snapshots. By all means get a camera, but be realistic about the quality of footage it’ll generate

Last edited by 13ollocks; 03-29-24 at 06:16 AM.
Likes For 13ollocks:
Old 03-29-24, 06:17 AM
Speedway2

Bikes: United Motocross BMX, Specialized Langster, Giant OCR, Marin Muirwoods, Globe Roll2, VROD:)

Quoted: 238 Post(s)
Liked 405 Times in 246 Posts
I ride one of my bikes mostly on the MUPs.....so a (micro) bell is a must.
Likes For Speedway2:
Old 03-29-24, 06:35 AM
WaveyGravey

Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Liked 128 Times in 88 Posts
A good pump to properly inflate tires and Gatorskin tires.
Likes For WaveyGravey:
Old 03-29-24, 06:55 AM
Mojo31
-------

Quoted: 9653 Post(s)
Liked 6,365 Times in 3,505 Posts
Your own personal support vehicle that will fix your flats and hand you water and food on demand. Also, they block other traffic, just make sure it has flashing lights.
Old 03-29-24, 07:21 AM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4414 Post(s)
Liked 4,867 Times in 3,012 Posts
Originally Posted by 13ollocks
GPS has been useful, and the Varia radar has been great. If I want to go way back, “brifters” and clipless significantly changed/improved my riding.
Im more skeptical about a GoPro - yes, it’ll capture video, but producing slick, audible, interesting footage takes time, effort, usually multiple takes, and equipment - raw GoPro footage will likely be monotonous (ie no viewpoint changes and editing cuts to make it interesting) and noisy (ie, a lot of wind noise) without extra mic’ing. It’ll really only you who’ll be watching it, because no one else will be very interested, and rewatching your own riding becomes old fast. Good video of a ride largely requires that the ride becomes about making the video, not about the riding. By way of example, I tried my hand at underwater photography years ago, but capturing good pics required a lot of lying on my belly setting up shots, rather than the actual diving that got me in the water to start with. I decided I preferred diving. I still brought a camera in case I saw something interesting, but National Geographic wasn’t going to be interested in my snapshots. By all means get a camera, but be realistic about the quality of footage it’ll generate
This has been my experience too. I used a GoPro camera for skiing for a few years. It was great at first and I got some good footage. But after a while I found it all too much of a chore (setup and editing) and found that it was interfering too much with my enjoyment. But I did use it again to film my kids and that was worth the effort. I never bothered filming on my bike. Road biking video would be tedious and my mtb riding is too tame to be of any interest in watching again.
Old 03-29-24, 07:36 AM
_ForceD_
Sr Member on Sr bikes

Bikes: Several...from old junk to new all-carbon.

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1019 Post(s)
Liked 785 Times in 414 Posts
From a non-racing point of view, in the 40+ years I’ve been road cycling, the #1 thing that improved riding FOR ME, with regard to comfort on the bike, was going from toe clips, to clipless pedals. Other than several triathlons every season, I don’t do any racing. I’m not really into analyzing stats from my rides. I just like to know how far, how fast, and time that I’ve gone. So computerized…and then GPS apps have been great. — Dan
Old 03-29-24, 07:59 AM
urbanknight
Over the hill

Bikes: Giant Defy, Giant Revolt

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 998 Post(s)
Liked 1,206 Times in 692 Posts
Helmets. They have only improved my riding experience 4 times in 33 years, but well worth it.
Old 03-29-24, 08:34 AM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2604 Post(s)
Liked 1,933 Times in 1,213 Posts
Yeah, I've got the GPS with an HRM and, occasionally, a power meter.

But what really improves my riding experiences? A full water bottle or two -- getting overheated because you haven't been drinking really ruins a ride.

And sunscreen. Sunburned arms and face for three days after a ride don't make me want to get back on the bike anytime soon.

A good route. Decent pavement, low traffic, thinks I like to look up and see as I'm out riding.

The other stuff you can buy? It's like furniture polish, it makes the experience a little shinier at best, and you spend time polishing a turd at worst -- worrying too much about things, and battery charging, and not enough about the experience of riding a bike.
Old 03-29-24, 09:36 AM
Sierra_rider

Bikes: Santa Cruz Blur 4 TR, Canyon Endurace cf sl, Canyon Ultimate cf slx, Canyon Strive enduro, Canyon Grizl sl8

Quoted: 219 Post(s)
Liked 847 Times in 342 Posts
Good shoes that actually fit. I'm an outlier in that I have really wide feet...I went for years sizing up shoes that were too narrow for a proper length. I finally discovered Lake shoes, with their wide sizing, and it's been a game changer.

Kind of a simple one, but storage on the bike. Yes, it may look Freddly, but I like having a decent saddle bag on my road/gravel bikes. Enough of a bag to carry a multi-tool, spare TPU tube, 2 different options for tubeless tire repair, and enough room leftover for my keys and some arm-warmers. Even more ghastly, I carry a mini pump on a mount adjacent to one of the bottle cages. I know some people that take "the rules" pretty seriously, but carrying tools, a mini-pump, and enough gels for a 6 hour ride, gets old when they're all in your jersey pockets.
Likes For Sierra_rider:
Old 03-29-24, 10:23 AM
Fredo76
The Wheezing Geezer

Bikes: 1976 Fredo Speciale, Jamis Citizen 1, Ellis-Briggs FAVORI, Rivendell Clem Smith Jr.

Quoted: 414 Post(s)
Liked 920 Times in 447 Posts
IMO, the biggest improvement in bicycle design in the last 50 years as been those SMP seats, with the big holes in the middle. Somebody finally figured that out, thank goodness!

I rode a Brooks Pro for years. Ouch!
Old 03-29-24, 10:30 AM
CrBiker96

Bikes: XDS MT3 XT, SCALE 940 2017, GIANT CONTEND SL

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Thanks mate, so useful and true what you said
Old 03-29-24, 10:50 AM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 4955 Post(s)
Liked 8,098 Times in 3,833 Posts
For me (in no particular order)...

- Proper bike fit
- High-quality, well-fitted bike clothing. I do not like things flapping about.
- GPS bike computer with HRM and power meter
- Shoes. I prefer a rigid sole and the right shape for my unusual foot (high-end Shimanos are magic for me)
- Pedals with float. Road=Speedplay X, MTB/gravel=Eggbeaters
- Helmet with good sweat management. My Scott Centic Pro is not nearly as good in this regard as my Limar Air Pro or Ekoi Legende.
- Garmin Varia radar. On solo road rides, this is eyes in the back of your head, and in some ways better than a mirror.

Last edited by Eric F; 03-29-24 at 10:57 AM.
Likes For Eric F:
Old 03-29-24, 10:53 AM
cyclomath

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 11 Posts
Stuff that improves experience the most is called free time, which is when you can take your bicycle and go out for a ride. That stuff can become really hard to find and/or in various ways prohibitively expensive.
Other than that - whatever makes you happier and more enthusiastic to go for a ride. On the other hand, there aren't enough gadgets out there to keep someone motivated if they need gadgets to get motivated, or so I imagine.
Likes For cyclomath:
Old 03-29-24, 11:03 AM
Bald Paul

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 824 Post(s)
Liked 1,659 Times in 784 Posts
Originally Posted by 13ollocks
Im more skeptical about a GoPro - yes, it’ll capture video, but producing slick, audible, interesting footage takes time, effort, usually multiple takes, and equipment - raw GoPro footage will likely be monotonous (ie no viewpoint changes and editing cuts to make it interesting) and noisy (ie, a lot of wind noise) without extra mic’ing. It’ll really only you who’ll be watching it, because no one else will be very interested, and rewatching your own riding becomes old fast.
Video - yes, I use a GoPro (connected to an external power pack - got tired of having to remember to stop and change batteries). Handlebar mount, and a Varia RTC715 (with video capture) on the seat post. The only time I really watch the video on either is if some driver decided to make a close pass, "roll coal", or do something equally stupid. Then I'll send a copy of the clip to my local sheriff, who was nice enough to follow up and issue a citation in one instance.
I will admit that I have recently started playing with a program called Telemetry Overlay, where I can synch the GoPro video with the data from my Garmin and see things like distance, heart rate, grade, power, speed and cadence in the video. Nothing like being able to re-live the agony of a long climb while sitting in a comfy chair with a cold brew.
Old 03-29-24, 12:37 PM
streetsurfer

Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 155 Posts
The bright paisley bandana.

doo-rag
pant cuff tie
bandage
parcel wrap/tie
snot-locker
conspicuity piece
sweat wiper/wash rag
Old 03-30-24, 04:20 AM
50PlusCycling

Quoted: 552 Post(s)
Liked 820 Times in 412 Posts
There are probably more bicycle-related patents than any other kind, bikes have been around for a very long time. Most “new” things on bikes are just improved versions of existing technology, you could get a Schwinn Stingray with a disk brake 50 years ago. Rather than finding ways for existing riders to “improve” the experience, it might be better to come up with a program or idea to get more people to experience the experience. There is little point in trying to improve things which few people use.

The pandemic cycling boom was an unnatural occurrence, and by its nature, was doomed to the bust we are witnessing now. The last natural boom was the result of everybody’s favorite cheater winning the Tour de France 7 times. Lance, for all his faults, was worth billions to the sport and industry. There was a similar, though smaller boom when Greg Lemond won his tours.

It’s not likely that we’ll ever get another such figure who puts cycling in the headline news and front pages around the world. But a movie or tv series, well made and well promoted, might motivate people to try out “the experience.”

For many years I have lived in Japan, and people here are enthusiastic cyclists. Of course cycling will be popular in a country where car ownership is expensive, parking scarce, and driving a PITA, but there is more to it than that. There are plenty of kids TV shows featuring characters learning to ride a bike. Then there are the comic books and anime which feature competitive cycling, and more than a few movies and tv shows. There is at least one cycling program playing weekly on Japanese television which features things like races, tours, cycling clubs, and the like. Cycling is part of the culture in Japan, and the popularity of the sport in Japan is why Japanese makers became mainstays in the international cycling industry.

The more people who get into cycling, the bigger the sport/pastime will become, and the bigger and better it gets, the better bikes and products will be produced. The gadgets and stuff are secondary.
Likes For 50PlusCycling:
Old 03-30-24, 11:24 AM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2747 Post(s)
Liked 3,401 Times in 2,058 Posts
Repair stand
Likes For dedhed:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.