Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Why have many bikes?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Why have many bikes?

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-23, 07:51 AM
DomaneS5
Fredly Fredster

Bikes: Trek Domane S5, Trek 1.1c, Motobecane Omni Strada Comp, Trek X-Caliber 6

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 207 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 14 Posts
I have 4 bikes. Main road bike, backup road bike, gravel bike and mountain bike. Perfect amount of bikes. Not interested in purchasing any more bikes.
Old 08-21-23, 07:56 AM
Pop N Wood

Bikes: 1982 Bianchi Sport SX, Rayleigh Tamland 1, Rans V-Rex recumbent, Fuji MTB, 80's Cannondale MTB with BBSHD ebike motor

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 668 Post(s)
Liked 529 Times in 355 Posts
I vote we ban the OP. Who needs such negativity on this site.

Think I'm up to 8 now and they are all different with different uses. Road bike, gravel bike, mountain bike, recumbent, ebike, folding bike, indoor trainer and my ex wife's hybrid. Some have fenders, some racks, use some for touring, others for off road, some for rail trails. Have separate road and dirt wheels for the gravel and mountain bike.

None of the bikes are clean, they all work 100% and they all get ridden. I think my newest bike is probably 7 years old now.

Up until 3 years ago I had never sold a bike.

Also have a one wheel trailer I use to scavenge firewood from the bike trails. I keep the folding bike on the front porch to ride to the mail box. Originally got it for my son to keep in the trunk of his car and to ride around campus. ebike is for commuting and running local errands. Bought the recumbent when recovering from nut surgery, ebike was a lifesaver when recovering from hip and heart surgery.

I built a separate shed to store 4 of the bikes along with spare parts and wheels.

My house is decorated with bike pictures, front and rear door mats have bikes on them, the majority of my shirts have some bike related graphics or sayings on them, every car has a bike hitch, most vacations revolve around a bike trek.

It's a way of life.
Likes For Pop N Wood:
Old 08-21-23, 08:06 AM
robobike316 

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked 126 Times in 61 Posts
I don't consider myself a collector or hoarder but my wife would say otherwise. For the vast majority of my life I had 3. Mountain, road, and commuter. Now I have... I'm not sure let's count.

1. Motobecane Grand Jubile- set up as a regular road bike with double crank and canvas bags.
2. Lygie with cantilevers added and full racks with triple for touring.
3. Raleigh Pro set up as either a fixed gear or Sturmey 3 speed.
4. Raleigh 20 folder. Goes in canoe and just for around town fun.
5. Paisley tandem.

Those are mine, each for a different purpose. I tried to get down to just one years ago but it never did happen. I could if I really wanted to though...
Old 08-21-23, 10:16 AM
deimos25
700c

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by deimos25
It just depends how versatile your riding is. Me, for example, ride mtb and slow touring rides, thus only have two: hardtail mtb and hybrid. But as I am planning to go more deeply into the road cycling I am soon getting a road bike. In ideal conditions I don't see having more than 5 bikes.
Actually I forgot a commuter So I am at 3 bikes currently.
Old 08-22-23, 04:47 PM
JochenRindt

Bikes: 1981 Motobecane Le Champion, 2002 LeMond Alp d'Huez, 1980 Peugeot PKN-10, 1982 Peugeot PSV-10, 1981 Austro Daimler Vent Noir

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 73 Times in 23 Posts
Originally Posted by Jedneck
Because 7 bikes is cheaper than more than one spouse
Well said.
Old 08-22-23, 08:24 PM
ManyBikess

Bikes: 22 Specilaized Roll 3, 18 Sirrus Carbon, 07 Colnago CLX, 03 KHS 304, 79 Schwinn Super LeTour

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
The User Name Explains

Five for me.
Old 08-22-23, 09:02 PM
tungsten

Bikes: 1962 Cinelli Mod. "B" / 1988 Bailey 531c /2 - '92 Rocky Vertexs' / Obed Baseline / Transition Scout/ Raleigh Willard

Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 41 Posts
7 bikes.
4 frame sets.
Old 08-22-23, 10:48 PM
rickpaulos

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked 152 Times in 91 Posts
I don't count them but I'd estimate somewhere in the 150 -200 range. Plus another 500-700 at the bike coop I manage. I have access to enough bikes that I can take a different bike out for a ride each day of the year. Bikes from Italy, France, England, Japan, USA, Mexico, and of course ROC & PRC. I buy and sell off a dozen or so each year.

I have a green Irish theme bike just for the St Pats day parade.
I have a bike just for July 4 (red white & blue).
I have my best friends bike (rip) that I take out each year on our shared birthdate as tribute to a great guy.
The French bikes for the annual Bastille Day ride.
The titanium road bike for cross-state rides.
700c road touring bike that I use for long rides (across the USA).
700c hybrid touring bike that I take on week long bike vacations with the wife when speed isn't the goal.
26" mtb touring bike for tours on gravel trails & roads.
Tandems, because I have someone to ride them with.
1960s Jack Taylor Touring tandem that I take on the Lake Pepin Tour. (belonged to a legend)
1984 Dawes Super Galaxy tandem that my wife bought us as a wedding present using her parent's down payment for our wedding expenses.
Raleigh Companion
Trek T900 (meh).
many one-off bikes.
My 3 rodeo bikes with offset wheels for bike festivals.
Side by Side sociable tandem.
Anything I can get built by my friend Tom Teesdale (RIP) and painted by his wife (RIP) (my high school classmate) in my size.
John Deere bikes (a must for those in the farm belt).
several folders, Brompton, Dahon, Giatex, Marlboro, Raleigh, Ritchey, Sears Tote Cycle.
Trek Earl, because it rides so nice.
Trek Woody because my friend Mike has one too.
Several of my old race bikes. Masi, Trek 2300, Schwinn Circuit, Cannondale SR.
The Masi collection (all for sale: Gran Criterium, Gran Criterium, Prestige, Soulville mens, Soulville ladies, Speciale CX, 3V)
Treks first ever carbon bike.
Mangusta because of it's unique construction.
Bimex because where else can you get a real Mexican bike.
Peugeot px10. Classic 1960s race bike in Le Tour.
A few dozen Ef Schwinns (for parts).
A dozen old English Racers for the Tweed rides. The fav is the Apollo, named after a greek god.
Bikes I've used to commute on which could have been nearly any bike I own.
Mountain bikes, Mostly Specialized. brand. Stump Jumper, Rock Hopper, Hard Rock.
Magna pos I can ride 1/2 mile to the bank, po, stores and not have to lock it.
fat bikes , meh.
a few score of future project bikes. Rebuild in to something more fun or useful.

Bikes can be a fun hobby. And it's far less offensive than motorcycles with straight pipes, jet skis, drugs, guns, wife cheating, tatoos. Countless collections out there of books, records, paintings, kids, cats, tools, shoes (black or Air Jordans), barbie dolls, jewelry (talk about useless) or figurines. Or spend all your money on travel, boats, motorhomes, the vacation houses, time shares.

If real estate weren't so crazy high, I'd have a museum open to the public.

I've ridden several thousand bikes of all kinds. Only a few are worthy. Most people don't ride enough different bikes to appreciate why one is a better ride than another. Most owners are satisfied with what they have because they don't know any better or they are too cheap and don't see much value in a good bicycle. That's why Walmart sells more bikes than all the bike shops combined.
Old 08-23-23, 06:16 AM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4416 Post(s)
Liked 4,872 Times in 3,016 Posts
I currently have 2 road bikes, but one of them never gets ridden so I will probably sell it. I also have 1 mountain bike.

I don’t have any reason for N+1 bikes. A spare is sometimes useful, which is the only reason I’ve held on to my second road bike. But I can’t really justify it sitting idle in the garage for over a year. So I’m more likely to go N-1
Old 08-23-23, 06:29 AM
Jughed

Bikes: Lemond Zurich/Trek ALR/Giant TCX/Sette CX1

Quoted: 570 Post(s)
Liked 773 Times in 404 Posts
I'm in N+1+1+1+1 mode.

My son now rides my backup road bike - so I want to get a used lightweight rim bike with a smaller frame for my faster rides.

My son needs a backup road bike now. His bike, my old bike, is an old hodgepode of parts - 105 up to Dura ace, with a mix of cyclocross brakes and bars... its prone to failure, needs a bunch of stuff.

I ride gravel, he wants to ride gravel with me.

He rides singletrack/MTB stuff, I want to ride with him, currently using my cyclocross bike for this, but it has its limits.

So I want:
-A backup/faster road bike for me
-A gravel bike for him
-A MTB for me
Likes For Jughed:
Old 08-23-23, 09:07 AM
George Abitbol

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 16 Posts
I use to ride 5 bikes even if i have 7 other projects.
my daily bike "vélotaf" in french il a decathlon rockrider 500 with drop bars.
For the road i have two road bikes, one in carbon and a second made in columbus tubes.
I ride 2 mtb, a 2009 decathlon rockrider 8.2 and a Peugeot Mojave desert modified in commuter / grocery bike.
I will introduce these when i could post pictures and links.
Old 08-23-23, 05:18 PM
nuxx 

Bikes: S-Works Tarmac SL6, Custom Carbon Flatbar, Giant XTC Composite 29er, Trek FX 7.6

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 42 Times in 18 Posts
The reasons have been stated many times already, but I feel pictures help convey their different natures/purposes and therefore justification. That said, I don’t know about 10+ bikes… here’s my current six… one of which could be retired, and I wouldn’t mind adding an electric cargo bike…

Road bike: S-Works Tarmac SL6
(7kg as it stands <3)

Gravel/CX (and just general vanity): Amaro Custom

Touring/Flatbar Hybrid: Vitus Custom Ultegra Di2 build

Hardtail MTB: Giant XTC Composite

Commuter/bringing toddler to daycare bike: SCO Citibike
(Has a detachable rear child seat missing in the photo)

Old allrounder I no longer really use: Trek FX 7.6 Hybrid

Last edited by nuxx; 08-23-23 at 05:34 PM.
Likes For nuxx:
Old 08-23-23, 10:52 PM
nycracer1986

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by XxHaimBondxX
Weekend topic - silly question: why people have many bikes in their stable? If you're not a collector, why have 10-20 of them?

I personally have one hybrid for most terrains, one mountain bike for occasional rough and rocky trail and one ebike capable going around 35 mph if I pedal really fast.
because why not
Likes For nycracer1986:
Old 08-24-23, 10:27 AM
Desert Ryder
Henderson, NV

Bikes: Trek Alpha 3700, GT STS DH, Raleigh Grand Prix, Fisher Montare, Fisher CR-7, Fisher Aquila, Diamondback Sorrento, The Bike Beat Revolution, KHS XC 504R

Quoted: 322 Post(s)
Liked 596 Times in 288 Posts
Originally Posted by nuxx
The reasons have been stated many times already, but I feel pictures help convey their different natures/purposes and therefore justification.
I agree and add mine.

Old 08-24-23, 12:07 PM
XxHaimBondxX

Bikes: Trek FX 7.3, Specialized Roubaix, Orbea Terra, Aostimotor S17 ebike, Huffy RedRock (first bike)

Quoted: 205 Post(s)
Liked 268 Times in 134 Posts
you ride all those in Sothern NV?
Old 08-24-23, 02:17 PM
Calsun
Banned

Quoted: 608 Post(s)
Liked 382 Times in 288 Posts
I bought a second bike when I moved to Texas and wanted to have a bike in California as the airlines charged over $300 for a bike in the checked luggage per flight. With the traffic on the roads getting so heavy and drivers so tuned out with their addiction to their smart phones and social messaging, I added a couple mountain bikes to ride the local trails. Adding an electric road bike has made it much more enjoyable to ride when there are strong headwinds where I ride along the coast.

Between my wife and I, we now have 4 road and 3 mountain bikes. I did give away a custom touring road bike I put together in 1975 and sold a triathalon bike to minimize the space needed. Still ended up erecting a small shed to hold 5 of the bikes.

Old 08-24-23, 06:17 PM
Desert Ryder
Henderson, NV

Bikes: Trek Alpha 3700, GT STS DH, Raleigh Grand Prix, Fisher Montare, Fisher CR-7, Fisher Aquila, Diamondback Sorrento, The Bike Beat Revolution, KHS XC 504R

you ride all those in Sothern NV?
Not all at once...

Last edited by Desert Ryder; 08-25-23 at 07:13 AM.
Likes For Desert Ryder:
Old 08-25-23, 11:32 AM
blacknbluebikes 

Bikes: two blacks, a blue and a white.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 445 Post(s)
Liked 847 Times in 410 Posts
Originally Posted by Garthr
Why not have many bikes ? Indeed . Because Existence Exists, and Existence Existing is Infinite, including bicycles. Asking why is like looking at the forest and asking "why so many trees ?". Nothing Exists apart from Existence Existing.
dude...
Old 08-27-23, 08:39 PM
SurferRosa
señor miembro

Bikes: '70s - '80s Campagnolo

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 3890 Post(s)
Liked 6,490 Times in 3,213 Posts
Originally Posted by Desert Ryder
Pics of early '70s Camaro?
Old 08-27-23, 08:50 PM
mpetry912 
aged to perfection

Bikes: Dinucci Allez 2.0, Richard Sachs, Alex Singer, Serotta, Masi GC, Raleigh Pro Mk.1, Hetchins, etc

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 839 Post(s)
Liked 1,258 Times in 663 Posts
Variety. It's the spice of life

/markp
Old 08-28-23, 07:42 AM
Desert Ryder
Henderson, NV

Originally Posted by SurferRosa
Pics of early '70s Camaro?
I actually don't have many.
1970 Sport Coupe, RS Bumperettes, 4" Harwood Cowl Hood, 350SBC 2.02 heads, 480/480 cam, Headers, Holley carb, TH400, 15" Weld Pro-Stars ,4.10 Posi, Superior Axles, SSM Lift Bars, Subframe Connectors, B&M Megashifter, Recaro MK2 seats, Grant Formula 1 steering wheel.

Likes For Desert Ryder:
Old 08-28-23, 06:45 PM
gene99

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 18 Posts
To answer your question: Because I can. (I'm down to 13: Road bike; gravel bike; 2 fat bikes; tri bike; tandem; 3 classic bikes; cross bike [in my trainer]; folding bike; town bike; unicycle.) And I have a classic Italian frame that I'm building as a single speed bike...)
Likes For gene99:
Old 08-28-23, 07:24 PM
Awesomeguy

Quoted: 203 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 9 Posts
Weekend topic - silly question: why people have many bikes in their stable? If you're not a collector, why have 10-20 of them?

I personally have one hybrid for most terrains, one mountain bike for occasional rough and rocky trail and one ebike capable going around 35 mph if I pedal really fast.

I have two hybrid, a fx3, and newly bought fx sport carbon 2021 which i really enjoy. Was thinking about selling the fx3, but might be good to keep as back up and bad weather/ travel bike.
Likes For Awesomeguy:
Old 08-28-23, 09:53 PM
RCMoeur 
Cantilever believer

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 536 Post(s)
Liked 1,842 Times in 834 Posts
Originally Posted by Broctoon
FIFY. People steal everything.
Had an interesting "theft" Saturday at the Recycle Your Bicycle for Foster Kids collection event. One of my wrenching colleagues from the Rusty Spoke rode out to the event on his very nice but somewhat older Fuji Newest, which he rolled into the back of my truck for storage. Near the end of the event, we were told to pick up all the signs ASAP with my truck, so we took his bike out and put it in a pile of bikes I was taking for shifter degunking. We come back - and all the bikes are there, except his. Bad news. Since this was a site with dozens of bikes scattered about, we started looking around and asking everyone if they'd seen his bike. Turns out a long-time volunteer (with a reputation for making decisions on behalf of others) saw the Fuji and directed it be put in the trailers with all the donated bikes. Where it was eventually found, half-buried under a pile of last-minute donations. My friend was happy. Fortunately, he's a forgiving guy, and will continue to help later in the season. With a really big lock securing his bike to something immovable.

As for me, following the link in my .sig file below takes one to a website where each of my first-string bikes gets its own webpage.