Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

New to drop handlebars: does the hand fatigue get better with time?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-15, 12:21 PM
willydstyle

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 225 Post(s)
Liked 54 Times in 33 Posts

I just recently switched from a Trek 7200 to a road bike with drop bars. I have finally figured out a saddle and saddle position that supports my sit bones and doesn't crush my taint, but on rides longer than 25ish minutes my hands start to get quite sore.

I mostly ride in the drops, but compared to a lot of the bikes I see out there I still have a pretty relaxed cockpit. Does this hand soreness go away with practice?

Here's a pic of my current set up for reference. Right now the saddle angle is a bit forward, but that seems to be necessary to prevent soft tissue distress.

Old 04-06-15, 12:27 PM
obed7

Bikes: Trek Domane 5.2, Ridley Xfire, Giant Propel, KHS AeroComp

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 1648 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
sounds like you need to have a fit done on the bike. I really do not spend a lot of time in the drops.
Old 04-06-15, 12:28 PM
Blue Belly

Bikes: Pinarello Montello, Merckx MX Leader, Merckx Corsa Extra, Pinarello Prologo, Tredici Magia Nera, Tredici Cross

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
What is the seat tube angle? If it's pretty laid back(looks it) the seat position may be fine, slammed forward. Only on really cold days do I have issues with hands getting sore. I also wear decent cycling gloves.... You migh also find that tilting the bars back, say 5%, May help. It also give you a more natural angle for sprinting or out of saddle work.
Old 04-06-15, 12:33 PM
willydstyle

Originally Posted by Blue Belly
What is the seat tube angle? If it's pretty laid back(looks it) the seat position may be fine, slammed forward. Only on really cold days do I have issues with hands getting sore. I also wear decent cycling gloves.... You migh also find that tilting the bars back, say 5%, May help. It also give you a more natural angle for sprinting or out of saddle work.
73 degrees
Old 04-06-15, 12:35 PM
practical

Bikes: Giant Escape 1

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Drop bars are painful to my hands. When I had a road bike, I would always ride on the top or corners, never in the drops. Even still, my hands would ache. It felt like my palms had been getting whacked with a broomstick. I went to a flatbar and never had a problem. Maybe drops are not for you.
Old 04-06-15, 12:42 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5910 Post(s)
Liked 2,779 Times in 1,551 Posts
if your hands are getting tired or sore, you probably have too much weight on them. Raising the bars slightly might help, bit before doing so, consider that most riders actually spend a smaller percentage of time in the drops. Try moving your hands around more to the various grip points. For most riding, you should probably be spending the most time on the brake hoods or outside top just behind the brake hoods.

The multiple positions are one of the main benefits of drop bars, so use them fully. Save the drops, for headwinds, descents, and situations where you want superior braking control (forward curve with fingers on the brakes), and your hand pain should go away fast enough.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Old 04-06-15, 12:46 PM
willydstyle

Originally Posted by FBinNY
if your hands are getting tired or sore, you probably have too much weight on them. Raising the bars slightly might help, bit before doing so, consider that most riders actually spend a smaller percentage of time in the drops. Try moving your hands around more to the various grip points. For most riding, you should probably be spending the most time on the brake hoods or outside top just behind the brake hoods.

The multiple positions are one of the main benefits of drop bars, so use them fully. Save the drops, for headwinds, descents, and situations where you want superior braking control (forward curve with fingers on the brakes), and your hand pain should go away fast enough.
With non-aero hoods riding on the hoods seems incredibly uncomfortable. I already raised the stem to close to its max height, because my back just ain't so flexible. I'll keep this advice in mind though.
Old 04-06-15, 12:54 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Originally Posted by willydstyle
With non-aero hoods riding on the hoods seems incredibly uncomfortable. I already raised the stem to close to its max height, because my back just ain't so flexible. I'll keep this advice in mind though.
OK, I looked at your bar position and here's a suggestion which may help. You have the bottoms horizontal which is sort of textbook, but not always best. Rotate the bar so the lower section is tilted, either pointing toward the rear axle, or even some more so the top behind the levers and the bottom are at similar angles. Feel free to experiment here, with the object being making the top "horizontal" section more comfortable. Tilting the bottom also makes it more square to your arm reliving the bend at your wrist which helps there too.

Once you've dialed in the handle bar angle, move the levers around to best split the difference between use of the hoods and brake levers from over the top and reaching them from in the drops.

BTW- unless you have unusually wide hands, the non-aero levers shouldn't be a factor wither way in terms of comfort, since you shouldn't be that far forward on the lever body.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

Old 04-06-15, 01:05 PM
radeln

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Saddle tilt can affect this. The saddle on a new bike was tipped slightly forward, trying to slide me forward and put more weight on my hands. With the saddle level, it was fine.
Old 04-06-15, 01:19 PM
FBinNY 

Originally Posted by radeln
Saddle tilt can affect this. The saddle on a new bike was tipped slightly forward, trying to slide me forward and put more weight on my hands. With the saddle level, it was fine.
+1 The saddle should keep you centered by itself. One of my tests for riding position is to hold my body in the same place and let go to see how neutral the balance is. This doesn't usually work on the drops, but when on the tops or hoods my hand load is just about zero.

Old 04-06-15, 01:21 PM
Clem von Jones

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 16 Posts
If the saddle is too far forward it will cause too much weight on your hands. Inadequate forward reach can cause back-pressure against your palms and cut off blood flow. It looks to me the drop is too much. You can gain height by swapping to compact style bars like the Soma Hwy One or VO Dajia, although they require 26mm stems too. If that were my bike I'd consider swapping to Microshift 3x7 integrated brake/shifters. They're pretty comfy and are compatible with your existing dérailleurs, plus they can be had for less than $60. They would give you a high and stretched-out position for climbing and long rides and relieve pressure on your wrists. It's a nice bike and is worth dialling in to perfection.

Last edited by Clem von Jones; 04-06-15 at 01:49 PM.
Old 04-06-15, 01:36 PM
willydstyle

OK, so here's my deal with the saddle tilt:

Any farther back than it currently is, and my soft tissues get crushed, which limits the length of my rides even more than hand fatigue. My hands aren't going numb, they're just getting sore.

If I tilt it back and drop it another 1/8" or so that might work, but it's already slightly lower than recommended, so is it worth the trade off of less power and more knee strain?
Old 04-06-15, 01:41 PM
markwebb
The Recycled Cycler

Bikes: Real Steel. Really. Ti is cool, too !

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
That is a very large frame: 62cm+. So you must be a very large person like 6'4" or taller? If all that correct then you probably have a relatively good fit.

The pic shows bars about even with seat, which is correct recreational/touring set-up. I see too many wanna-be racers with seats way higher than the bars and they're doing 30 mile club rides not racing.

If all that above correct, then you are perhaps putting too much weight on your hands. That's a common mistake. You should be using your torso/core for support not your hands. Easier said than done - it takes lots of miles and training.

Try a few position things: move saddle forward a bit and see if the extra cm or so puts you more upright. The more upright the less weight on hands. if saddle is as far forward as possible then try a shorter stem, although the one you have looks to be somewhere between 90-110mm and not what I call long at all.

Most people move to drop bars because drops offer MORE hand positions. On top center/on top spread/drops/hood/etc and that helps reduce hand fatigue. Better than any other bar style for longer mileage. So let's see if the bike is too big or else too much weight on hands and how we can reduce that through some minor adjustments to get you more upright/move weight off your hands.
Old 04-06-15, 01:42 PM
willydstyle

Originally Posted by markwebb
That is a very large frame: 62cm+. So you must be a very large person like 6'4" or taller? If all that correct then you probably have a relatively good fit.

The pic shows bars about even with seat, which is correct recreational/touring set-up. I see too many wanna-be racers with seats way higher than the bars and they're doing 30 mile club rides not racing.

If all that above correct, then you are perhaps putting too much weight on your hands. That's a common mistake. You should be using your torso/core for support not your hands. Easier said than done - it takes lots of miles and training.

Try a few position things: move saddle forward a bit and see if the extra cm or so puts you more upright. The more upright the less weight on hands. if saddle is as far forward as possible then try a shorter stem, although the one you have looks to be somewhere between 90-110mm and not what I call long at all.

Most people move to drop bars because drops offer MORE hand positions. On top center/on top spread/drops/hood/etc and that helps reduce hand fatigue. Better than any other bar style for longer mileage. So let's see if the bike is too big or else too much weight on hands and how we can reduce that through some minor adjustments to get you more upright/move weight off your hands.
It's a 58 cm frame and I'm 6' even.
Old 04-06-15, 01:48 PM
italianstallion

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
When I started riding I had the same issue: after an hour on the bike my hands (especially my thumbs) felt like they were going to fall off whenever I went in the drops. Did a little searching on this forum, found topics by posters with my same issue, and learned it's usually caused by putting too much weight on your hands. Now when I'm in the drops or even on the hoods I put as little weight as possible on my hands, instead keeping most of my weight on my legs and using the drops/hoods for stability (and aero of course!). Haven't had this issue again since that first ride.
Old 04-06-15, 01:50 PM
Fly2High

Bikes: 2014 Specialized Secteur Sport

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
can you take a picture of you on the bike? I am sure it will be helpful to see your geometry on it.

Take photos of you on the tops, hoods and drops for comparison and indicate which gives you the most and least soreness.

Frank
Old 04-06-15, 01:56 PM
markwebb
The Recycled Cycler

Bikes: Real Steel. Really. Ti is cool, too !

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
That bike looks awesome btw!!!!

So if you're 6' and a 58" frame than the size is relatively ok. Lots of subtle and nuance to get bike to feel just right. You may still be stretched out too much and thus putting more pressure on hands/leaning on your hands too much. Try moving seat forward. If it's as far forward as possible, then a shorter stem maybe.
Old 04-06-15, 02:43 PM
achoo

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts

Any farther back than it currently is, and my soft tissues get crushed, which limits the length of my rides even more than hand fatigue. My hands aren't going numb, they're just getting sore.

If I tilt it back and drop it another 1/8" or so that might work, but it's already slightly lower than recommended, so is it worth the trade off of less power and more knee strain?
To get weight off your hands, move your saddle back.

If that causes your position to become uncomfortable because now you're bent over too far, raise your bars higher. And use a shorter stem.
Old 04-06-15, 03:56 PM
Lazyass

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Quoted: 2432 Post(s)
Liked 641 Times in 398 Posts

Don't worry about your saddle tilt if your rear end doesn't hurt. If it was tilted too far forward you would feel yourself sliding forward. And like you say, tilted too far back and it will hurt your privates. If you're riding in the drops a lot that shows your bars aren't too low unlike the majority of people today. You can tell those because their hands are glued to the tops 95% of the time. Your hands probably just need to be built up for it. Just give it a few hundred miles to see.
Old 04-06-15, 04:02 PM
icyclist 
Spin Meister

Bikes: Trek Émonda, 1961 Follis (French) road bike (I'm the original owner), a fixie, a mountain bike, etc.

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 16 Posts
"With non-aero hoods riding on the hoods seems incredibly uncomfortable. I already raised the stem to close to its max height, because my back just ain't so flexible."

What seems uncomfortable, and why? For example, are you saying your hands - specifically the space between thumbs and forefingers - are in pain when you ride on the narrow hoods (narrow compared to brighter)?

"
Does this hand soreness go away with practice?"

In a word, yes. It's the same with new riders who suffer pain in the ass from their saddles. Lots of riding means no pain.

As far as your back goes, it would be more flexible if you did in fact lower the bars and rode often.

Old 04-06-15, 04:42 PM
hueyhoolihan

Bikes: 8 ss bikes, 1 5-speed touring bike

Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
i don't have drop bars, but still have a bit of numbness in my right hand (braking hand) on occasion. it comes and goes. it's gone for now and has been for several months.

i'm sure everybody was just dying to know...

Last edited by hueyhoolihan; 04-06-15 at 08:52 PM.
Old 04-06-15, 05:29 PM
Homebrew01
Super Moderator

Bikes: Old Steelies I made, Old Cannondales

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1174 Post(s)
Liked 935 Times in 618 Posts
Your brake levers look like they are not set up the same .... one higher than the other ?

FYI: https://www.bikeforums.net/forum-sugg...ad-please.html
Old 04-06-15, 05:51 PM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 4771 Post(s)
Liked 1,543 Times in 1,011 Posts
You could try flipping the stem upside down so it angles up.
Old 04-06-15, 05:54 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 131 Post(s)
Quoted: 4857 Post(s)
Liked 4,002 Times in 2,598 Posts
I ride with a saddle with roughly the same tilt you do and spend a lot of time in the drops. But my drops are angled down so they point roughly at the rear brake bolt. I consider that tilt very important. I always go for a ride or two with just enough electrical tape to keep my cables in place and the wrenches to adust stem height, bar angle and brake lever location (which I like considerably further forward/down than you have yours).

Go for some rides with the wrenches until you have got the drops right. Then start playing with the brake lever locations. Only then should you tape your handlebars. Then go ride and enjoy!

Ben
Old 04-06-15, 06:02 PM
RollCNY
Speechless

Bikes: Felt Brougham, Lotus Prestige, Cinelli Xperience,

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Liked 39 Times in 16 Posts
Originally Posted by Sy Reene
You could try flipping the stem upside down so it angles up.
Isn't that a quill stem?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.