Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Remove rust and preserve paint? Steerer tube rust?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-15, 08:12 AM
tronnyjenkins 

Bikes: One new one, a couple old ones, and a mountain bike.

Liked 35 Times in 18 Posts

I've got a few little bands of rust around my top tube on a PX10 where the cable guides had disintegrated. Should I just use Naval Jelly carefully? I'd rather not consider repainting because everything else is just fine. Even if the paint is gone where the bands were, the stainless steel ones I'm using as replacements should cover the bare. Should I use a rust stopping primer after stripping?

Second question:
I managed to finally get my stuck stem out, and I wondered if it is necessary to remove the rust in the steerer tube. If so, methods?
Old 04-14-15, 09:19 AM
SJX426 

Bikes: '65 Frejus TDF, '73 Bottecchia Giro d'Italia, '83 Colnago Superissimo, '84 Trek 610, '84 Trek 760, '88 Pinarello Veneto, '88 De Rosa Pro, '89 Pinarello Montello, '94 Burley Duet, 97 Specialized RockHopper, 2010 Langster, Tern Link D8

Liked 2,260 Times in 1,129 Posts
[MENTION=372199]tronnyjenkins[/MENTION] I know OA will not remove Italian paint!. I would use a primer on the bare metal and then try to match the paint color prior to putting a band on the area.

Yes #2 . I simply use either a 12Ga shotgun brush or master cylinder hone to run up and down the tube to clean it out. Once you believe you have all the rust removed (OA bath?) either use frame saver or coat with grease (thin layer). The rust that is in there acts like sand paper on the stem, not a good mechanical interface.
Old 04-14-15, 09:32 AM
headloss 
Lost at sea...

Bikes: Schwinn Paramount (match), Trek 520, random bits and pieces...

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Carefully? Just use it liberally. Yes, use a rust stopping primer (with zinc) if there is any question whether you got all of the rust.

Steerer tube, as suggested by above poster or if you can get a finger in there, use (clean) steel wool; finish off with frame saver or similar.