Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Garmin communicator plug in. WTF

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-15, 10:03 PM
Hbrown

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Garmin in their infinate wisdom has stopped supporting the plug in. Garmin express makes no provisions for a plug in or link. What does this mean??

It means that you can only download your ride information only to Garmin connect! No Strava or any other website that depends on the plug in!! In one fell swoop they have and may have caused the demise of several websites.

You still have your Cell phone. And can use that to upload your ride information to Strava. But, why? I own and have owned several Garmin products. Starting with the 101x, to the 201x then a 305, a 800, now a 1000, and a virb elite, one regular virb, and a remote. cadence sensors and what have you.

I don't think I will buy anything from them again. They have started a direct assault, no too strong a word, how about demise, of several small and large websites.

I hope in the future they will restore the plug in, but I am not holding my breath. I hope others are as outraged as I am. And if you are not outraged, maybe you don't see how serious this is.

This is serious!!
Old 06-14-15, 10:07 PM
WalksOn2Wheels
Vain, But Lacking Talent

Bikes: Trek Domane 5.9 DA 9000, Trek Crockett Pink Frosting w/105 5700

Liked 81 Times in 42 Posts
The plug in worked fine for me earlier today on my 510. But even if they were to no longer support it, it's only a minor inconvenience. You can still upload the file directly from your device to Strava. Just go to the "file" tab on the upload page.
Old 06-14-15, 10:31 PM
MikeyBoyAz
Middle-Aged Member

Bikes: Bianchi Infinito CV 2014, TREK HIFI 2011, Argon18 E-116 2013

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by WalksOn2Wheels
The plug in worked fine for me earlier today on my 510. But even if they were to no longer support it, it's only a minor inconvenience. You can still upload the file directly from your device to Strava. Just go to the "file" tab on the upload page.
This. I'm not sure how able you are with a computer, but since you are on bikeforums you should know your way around a little bit. Manual upload is quite a bit easier than trying to attach an image to a post IMHO.
Old 06-14-15, 11:36 PM
gregf83 

Liked 289 Times in 177 Posts
The sky isn't falling. I plug my Garmin in to charge, it loads my latest ride to Garmin connect which then transfers the file to Strava. Not sure how they can make it any easier.
Old 06-15-15, 12:37 AM
loimpact

Bikes: 2014 Cannondale Supersix Evo 3; 2014 Cannondale Quick 4; 2014 Cannondale Crash 4 hi-mod

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I was mad too at first. And you're not the only one outraged. There are lots of folks who are P!SS3D at Garmin for this (and other stuff). But they are Garmin and just like Apple, they appear to be able to do what they want.

That said, I use a 305 myself and just plug in and upload. It's still pretty convenient, it was just easier when Garmin played nice.
Old 06-15-15, 02:06 AM
K.Katso
Gold Member

Bikes: Pinarello Dogma F8, Pinarello Bolide, Argon 18 E-118, Bianchi Oltre, Cervelo S1, Wilier Pista

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If you have an Edge 1000, why are you complaining about this? There is an easier way. Pair it with your smartphone via Bluetooth and the Garmin Connect app. The app uploads it automatically over 3G/4G to the Garmin Connect website, which syncs automatically with Strava. You never even have to log in and look at Garmin Connect after the initial setup, it's just a "bridge" from the device to Strava. I do this, and every time I click "save ride" it is uploaded to Strava within about 2 minutes, no matter where I am, so long as I have a mobile signal.
Old 06-15-15, 05:47 AM
Diablito

Bikes: Voodoo Canzo, BMC Granfondo

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sorry for my ignorance but can anyone actually tell me how to make my 1000 sync with strava from my phone please. I'm on my phone looking at garmin connect and don't see an option to sync with strava.
Old 06-15-15, 05:50 AM
K.Katso
Gold Member

Bikes: Pinarello Dogma F8, Pinarello Bolide, Argon 18 E-118, Bianchi Oltre, Cervelo S1, Wilier Pista

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Diablito
Sorry for my ignorance but can anyone actually tell me how to make my 1000 sync with strava from my phone please. I'm on my phone looking at garmin connect and don't see an option to sync with strava.
You have to do it from the website. See these handy instructions:

Garmin announces automatic sync with Strava, MapMyFitness and Endomondo | DC Rainmaker
Old 06-15-15, 05:56 AM
RJM
I'm doing it wrong.

Bikes: Rivendell Appaloosa, Rivendell Frank Jones Sr., Trek Fuel EX9, Kona Jake the Snake CR, Niner Sir9

Liked 2,813 Times in 1,664 Posts
Yeah...my device goes into the computer to charge, Garmin Express syncs it automatically to Garmin Connect and it goes straight to Strava automatically. I guess at one point I set it up that way but forgot how to do it or even doing it. I'm not sure about some plug in...maybe this has been surpassed by a newer version of Garmin Express?
Old 06-15-15, 10:04 AM
Seattle Forrest

Liked 10,647 Times in 6,055 Posts
Originally Posted by gregf83
The sky isn't falling. I plug my Garmin in to charge, it loads my latest ride to Garmin connect which then transfers the file to Strava. Not sure how they can make it any easier.
They made it easier: I press the start button on my Garmin, select "bike," then go ride. When I'm done, I press "stop" and select save. Then it's on Garmin Connect. Uploads through my phone or wifi as soon as I'm done. Also works for hiking, running, etc.

I forget the name but there's another web site you can set up that copies your activities from Connect to Strava. Once you set it up, you don't have to do anything. Your device uploads to Connect, it's on Strava. (I think it's "copy my sports" or something.)
Old 06-15-15, 10:20 AM
spdracr39

Bikes: Lynskey Twisted Helix Di2 Ti, 1987 Orbea steel single speed/fixie, Orbea Avant M30, Trek Fuel EX9.8 29, Trek Madone 5 series, Specialized Epic Carbon Comp 29er, Trek 7.1F

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
This is the way to do it and it is seamless. You set it up from Strava settings I believe.
Old 06-15-15, 10:21 AM
gregf83 

Liked 289 Times in 177 Posts
Originally Posted by Seattle Forrest
I forget the name but there's another web site you can set up that copies your activities from Connect to Strava. Once you set it up, you don't have to do anything. Your device uploads to Connect, it's on Strava. (I think it's "copy my sports" or something.)
You can set it up directly from Strava, no third party sites required:

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
StravaSync.JPG (28.8 KB, 228 views)
Old 06-15-15, 10:24 AM
Smokehouse

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I noticed this starting last week. Updated my Garmin 500 and all of the sudden, Strava would no longer auto load mt rides. It kind of messed with me for a moment. After fumbling around for a few min, I realized I can just access the Garmin as a device, go to the activities folder (or whatever it is called) and then just manually select the rides I want to upload. A bit of a pain, but it is what it is.
Old 06-15-15, 10:24 AM
Seattle Forrest

Liked 10,647 Times in 6,055 Posts
I didn't know that!
Old 06-15-15, 12:11 PM
SpeshulEd 

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
This...
Originally Posted by K.Katso
If you have an Edge 1000, why are you complaining about this? There is an easier way. Pair it with your smartphone via Bluetooth and the Garmin Connect app. The app uploads it automatically over 3G/4G to the Garmin Connect website, which syncs automatically with Strava. You never even have to log in and look at Garmin Connect after the initial setup, it's just a "bridge" from the device to Strava. I do this, and every time I click "save ride" it is uploaded to Strava within about 2 minutes, no matter where I am, so long as I have a mobile signal.
And then this...
Originally Posted by K.Katso
You have to do it from the website. See these handy instructions:

Garmin announces automatic sync with Strava, MapMyFitness and Endomondo | DC Rainmaker
You can set it up directly from Strava, no third party sites required:

Easy peasy.

copymysports.com was the website that did it before garmin set it up to auto upload.

Old 06-15-15, 04:43 PM
Diablito

Bikes: Voodoo Canzo, BMC Granfondo

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I followed the steps and it says garmin connect is connected to strava. But I don't see any rides in my strava account. Doesn't it sync older rides too?.
Old 06-15-15, 05:29 PM
Edonis13

Bikes: S-Works SL3 Tarmac, Allez E5, Leader 735TT, others

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
No, you have to manually add the old files.
Old 06-15-15, 06:41 PM
telebianchi

Bikes: 2014/17 Trek Domane 5.2, 2003 Fuji Cross, 2019 Trek Fuel EX8 27.5 Plus, 2012 Raleigh XXIX single-speed, 2017 Access Gravel

Liked 25 Times in 12 Posts
My understanding is that this was not Garmin stopping the plug-in from working but the browsers stopping support of some of the technology used by the plug-in. From Garmin help:
The Garmin Communicator Plugin is no longer compatible with Google Chrome. The Communicator Plugin uses the Netscape Plugin Application Programming Interface (NPAPI) architecture which is no longer supported by Chrome. As of Chrome 42, NPAPI support has been disabled by default and these types of plugins will no longer be detected.
So maybe get upset with Garmin for not creating a new plug-in, but this was not some nefarious plan of Garmin's to keep you from uploading directly to Strava.

Personally, I've never liked Garmin Connect for tracking my cycling so I've just been using the Upload File option in Strava and RideWithGPS. For running, I upload from my Forerunner to Garmin Connect.
Old 06-15-15, 10:36 PM
CityGuy

Bikes: 2014 Cannondale Synapse Hi-MOD 2 SRAM Red, 2013 Cannondale Quick 4, 1995 Cannondale F500

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Use safari instead of chrome then. Mine worked fine today when it was plugged in.
Old 06-15-15, 11:56 PM
K.Katso
Gold Member

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Diablito
I followed the steps and it says garmin connect is connected to strava. But I don't see any rides in my strava account. Doesn't it sync older rides too?.
Only the new ones after you connect the apps. You should be good to go from now on though.
Old 06-16-15, 08:52 AM
SpeshulEd 

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
You can upload the older ones, just have to go into the Connect website and download each file as a tcx file.

Actually, now that I think of it, copymysports used to grab the old ones, maybe use that site to get the old ones if you have a lot, and then connect Strava to Garmin Connect afterwards.

Old 06-16-15, 10:32 AM
Hbrown

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks! I was finally able to download my 1000 after a week. Thanks for all of the information, I also registered and paid $5 to tapiriik that syncs Garmin and Strava and a lot of other sites automatically. Sorry Garmin for the tirade. But the loss of the plugin caught me offgard. and I was pissed!
Old 06-16-15, 10:35 AM
Hbrown

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Since we are talking Garmin, How do I add older files dating back from 2011 to Strava and Garmin from my garmin training center? Is there any way that I can send all of those files to these sites all at once? There are a lot of files!!
Old 06-16-15, 02:52 PM
SpeshulEd 

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Hbrown
Since we are talking Garmin, How do I add older files dating back from 2011 to Strava and Garmin from my garmin training center? Is there any way that I can send all of those files to these sites all at once? There are a lot of files!!
CopyMySports - Automatically copy Garmin Connect activities to RunKeeper, Strava and MapMyFitness used to do this...however, clicking on the site now just gives the following warning:

[h=1]Service Unavailable[/h]The server is temporarily unable to service your request due to maintenance downtime or capacity problems. Please try again later.

Old 06-16-15, 03:04 PM
Lanterne Rogue

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by telebianchi
My understanding is that this was not Garmin stopping the plug-in from working but the browsers stopping support of some of the technology used by the plug-in. From Garmin help:
The Garmin Communicator Plugin is no longer compatible with Google Chrome. The Communicator Plugin uses the Netscape Plugin Application Programming Interface (NPAPI) architecture which is no longer supported by Chrome. As of Chrome 42, NPAPI support has been disabled by default and these types of plugins will no longer be detected.
Chrome is nearly three times more popular than any other browser in the world. But now Garmin wants to be incompatible with it? Sounds like business suicide.

When is Garmin going to buy Strava, or vice versa?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.