Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

recommend a truing stand

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

recommend a truing stand

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-05, 07:38 PM
ink1373
nothing: lasts forever

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
recommend a truing stand

i've done a few wheel builds the old fashioned (crappy) way. they've turned out fine, but i'm thinking of investing in some phil hubs, so naturally i want to do a good job. i'm looking for a truing stand in the neighborhood of 40-80 bucks. i don't need perfect, i just need more precise than eyeballing brake pads.
Old 04-22-05, 07:42 PM
phantomcow2
la vache fantôme

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Spin doctor
Old 04-22-05, 08:02 PM
kefin

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I, too, have the PerformanceBike Spin Doctor truing stand and find it good enough for everything I ever want to do with my wheels. I can get very precise truing of my wheels. It's not in the same league as a Park professional stand, but unless you're building wheels for a living I think the cheaper Spin Doctor is fine.

-Kevin
Old 04-22-05, 08:21 PM
phantomcow2
la vache fantôme

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
spin doctor is very accurate. The Park pro will be much faster, since its so sturdy and the autocentering mechanism. But the spin doctor works very well
Old 04-22-05, 08:40 PM
EagleEye

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've used both, Spin Doctor and Park Tool, and would recommend Park Tool if you can afford it.
Old 04-23-05, 01:15 AM
gmason
Senior Member (Retired)

Bikes: Vittorio, Centaur triple; Casati Laser Piu, Chorus Triple.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My TACX T3175 is great for the amount of use it gets truing wheels. I might spring for more if I were building wheels.
Old 04-23-05, 05:02 AM
biker7

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Though not as precise as above, I use an old Schwinn frame and fork flipped over to true my wheels...using a zip tie or two and a magic marker.
All you do with an old frame is cold set the rear stays to 130mm to accomodate the wider cassettes of later wheels. Front forks are all 100mm so need to change up front.
A truing stand is handy if you true a fair amount of wheels which I don't.
Good Luck...this weekend am truing my Campy Vento rear wheel which is relatively new and wasn't true from the factory.
George

Last edited by biker7; 04-23-05 at 08:26 AM.
Old 04-23-05, 05:58 AM
marcusbandito

Bikes: Voodoo Wanga, Waterford RS, Gitane SS

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have the consumer Park (TS-7) and it works well. It came with a dishing tool also. Not as sturdy as the pro model Park makes, but it gets the job done.

Park now makes a TS-8 model which I have not used yet. Any feedback from this model?
Old 04-23-05, 06:26 AM
royalflash

Bikes: Lemond Alpe d´Huez, Scott Sub 10, homemade mtb, Radlbauer adler (old city bike), Dahon impulse (folder with 20 inch wheels), haibike eq xduro

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have the consumer Park Tool (TS-7). It is not bad value for money as you get the dishing tool as well and it does work but I would not particularly recommend it. It is immensely heavy yet unstable and has to be bolted down to use it properly. You can only work on one side of the wheel at once. I also have difficulty getting my axle fixed straight in it and use extra washers to make sure the axle goes in straight.

Plato

(well if he was alive today he would have written it)
Old 04-23-05, 06:29 AM
phantomcow2
la vache fantôme

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
eeeh i tried the TS-7, its HORRIBLE. It looks nice, its very beefy. But it only trues one side and checking radial error is a pain. I cut my truing time in half when i got the spin doctor
Old 04-23-05, 09:21 AM
pmseattle

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have the Park TS-2 truing stand and WAG-4 dishing tool. Both are very solid tools, and easy to understand and use. They are, however, more expensive than the "home mechanic" grade tools. Since I don't have a car, I have a few thousand dollars per year to splurge on other things, one of those being tools.
Old 04-23-05, 02:16 PM
Scooby Snax

I've the TS7, works well enough, I've not had big touble with it, in fact I was using it today. You can of course work on both sides, you just pull the rim towards the indicating arm, just as your push it away, no bid deal.

Old 04-23-05, 03:11 PM
Sebach

Bikes: Surly Long Haul Trucker

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The TS7 has apparently been discontinued by Park Tools (I'm sure you could find it easily out there though) and replaced by the TS8. I'm not sure what the differences are between the two, but it's something else to look at.
https://www.parktool.com/tools/TS_8.shtml
Old 04-23-05, 06:56 PM
jz19

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have the Spin Doctor and it works fine. It is not a fancy stand but gets the job done.
Old 04-24-05, 05:30 PM
wasabiboys
Make it a Single Speed!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You can always use the bike as one. Flip it upside down and put it on a bench or something. Then make is straight. It is not pretty but it works
Old 04-24-05, 07:55 PM
dbg
Si Senior

Bikes: Too Numerous (not)

Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts
Minoura Workman Pro. I love it. Also consider a spoke tensiometer. I thought I was pretty good at getting a firm even tension. After getting the Park tensiometer and checking some wheels, I discovered I was way off in some places. Guess I'll use the tensiometer to tweak my "feel."
Old 10-03-05, 01:00 AM
JustBikeNow

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
oh wow I thought the spin doctor brands where no good. So those who have got it.. What are the prices you got it for? I know some people know low prices.
Old 10-03-05, 09:39 AM
robo

Bikes: 1990 Burley Bossa Nova, 1992 Paramount PDG-70, 1993 Specialized Stumpjumper, 2005 Jamis Dakar XC Pro, 2007 Rivendell Bleriot

Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
I recently got the Minoura workman pro stand.. Havent' used the others mentioned here, but the Minoura seems fine. It's compact (folds up), has a dish gauge built in, and is really cheap (i paid $32 with a Nashbar coupon). Made in Japan too.
Old 10-03-05, 09:42 AM
robo

Bikes: 1990 Burley Bossa Nova, 1992 Paramount PDG-70, 1993 Specialized Stumpjumper, 2005 Jamis Dakar XC Pro, 2007 Rivendell Bleriot

Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
I just googled the spin doctor stand, and it looks to me like the Spin Doctor Pro and the Minoura Workman Pro are almost the same stand.. The Spin Doctor II looks a bit different, but still similar.