Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
Reload this Page >

Now this is a race I'd like to try -- Figure 8!

Search
Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-15, 12:29 PM
Unkle Rico

Bikes: CENTURION / LOOK / Bianchi

Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts

https://www.redbull.com/us/en/bike/stories/1331731500078/red-bull-mini-drome-nyc-fixed-gear-bike-race-figure-8-track
Old 06-26-15, 12:29 PM
prooftheory
pro in someone's theory

Bikes: FTP

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
That was much less exciting than the version I pictured in my head.
Old 06-26-15, 01:02 PM
SquidPuppet
Calamari Marionette Ph.D

Bikes: 3 Chinese Gas Pipe Nerdcycles and 2 Chicago Electroforged Boat Anchors

Liked 33 Times in 26 Posts
Figure eight?

Without the potential for collisions, that was a huge waste of my viewing time.
Old 06-26-15, 01:47 PM
T13

Bikes: '84 Basso Pista, Masi Heinz '57 SS beater. Couple Stingrays...

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
What did that hair farmer mean by "an homage to the messenger championships of the 90's"?
Old 06-26-15, 02:01 PM
Unkle Rico

"...John Englar was inspired by the New York punk scene in the ’80s—where kids soaked the streets with piss, started street fights, and blew through lights around the city; where freaks and outcasts thrived and clubs held dank shows full of moshing bodies. Englar and a bunch of his buddies wanted to super-charge their scene in Toronto, so they started by hosting a Halloween bash at their warehouse in ’89. Participants would go through a prison-like barbed-wire fence to get to the race, where they’d find themselves amid the tried-and-true formula that his crew came up with to focus on bikes, beers and bands. The guys didn’t shy on a damn thing, and the early bashes sound gnarly as hell: Kegs sat in BFI dumpsters filled with ice, and punk bands provided the soundtrack (one year even saw Run DMC perform). Eventually, with the help of his friends and a tobacco sponsorship from Dunhill, Englar ended up building a figure-8 velodrome (the Human Powered Rollercoaster), which still stands to this day, albeit gathering dust in storage. With a friend who owned a bike shop that sponsored prizes, Englar says they were just “trying to sell some T-shirts, make some money, have a ****load of fun and have a wicked party on Halloween.” The first couple of years were pretty mellow, Englar notes, but by ’92 on Ontario Street, Englar and his friend Red Nick began to hold true to the triple-B formula and brewed the beer themselves. “That was the ****ing ****,” Englar says."

Human-Powered Rollercoasters ? a Brief History of the Alleycat Race | SLUG Magazine

Originally Posted by T13
What did that hair farmer mean by "an homage to the messenger championships of the 90's"?
Old 06-26-15, 02:09 PM
T13

Bikes: '84 Basso Pista, Masi Heinz '57 SS beater. Couple Stingrays...

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Unkle Rico
"...John Englar was inspired by the New York punk scene in the ’80s—where kids soaked the streets with piss, started street fights, and blew through lights around the city; where freaks and outcasts thrived and clubs held dank shows full of moshing bodies. Englar and a bunch of his buddies wanted to super-charge their scene in Toronto, so they started by hosting a Halloween bash at their warehouse in ’89. Participants would go through a prison-like barbed-wire fence to get to the race, where they’d find themselves amid the tried-and-true formula that his crew came up with to focus on bikes, beers and bands. The guys didn’t shy on a damn thing, and the early bashes sound gnarly as hell: Kegs sat in BFI dumpsters filled with ice, and punk bands provided the soundtrack (one year even saw Run DMC perform). Eventually, with the help of his friends and a tobacco sponsorship from Dunhill, Englar ended up building a figure-8 velodrome (the Human Powered Rollercoaster), which still stands to this day, albeit gathering dust in storage. With a friend who owned a bike shop that sponsored prizes, Englar says they were just “trying to sell some T-shirts, make some money, have a ****load of fun and have a wicked party on Halloween.” The first couple of years were pretty mellow, Englar notes, but by ’92 on Ontario Street, Englar and his friend Red Nick began to hold true to the triple-B formula and brewed the beer themselves. “That was the ****ing ****,” Englar says."

Human-Powered Rollercoasters ? a Brief History of the Alleycat Race | SLUG Magazine

Ooooh I forgot about the rollercoaster. I always forget about Toronto, and that scene up there.
Old 06-26-15, 02:27 PM
Unkle Rico

Well, it is in Canada afterall
Old 06-26-15, 10:02 PM
Hothead286

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by prooftheory
That was much less exciting than the version I pictured in my head.
I was picturing a demo derby figure eight. Maybe with football pads? I feel like this is a missed opportunity.
Old 06-27-15, 10:02 AM
SpeshulEd 

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts