Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Explain a few things please

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-15, 08:26 AM
RVARider

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I keep hearing all these "rules" in order to be a proper road biker:

1) No CamelBak - what is the benefit in covering my bike in bottle cages when I can carry a gallon on my back?
2) Bike Outfit - I am fat, no one wants to see me wrapped in sausage casing - I wear yellow basketball shorts, yellow wicking shirt, and old sneakers - I look like a highlighter, but I am comfortable and stand out to cars
3) No mirror on a road bike - I prefer to know when someone is behind me, particulary if I need to take the lane to avoid potholes
4) Clipping in - I don't want to, I prefer to be able to dismount quickly and I am not going for the kind of speed that requires power applied throughout the rotation

I don't plan to change any of the above, just wondering who comes up with these "rules"

Oh - one more thing - On friday someone posted about an Android app that sends a message when you start and stop your ride and lets your spouse track it from GPS - the search function is returning an "oops" error - does anyone know the app? I thought it was something like iRide.

Thanks!
Old 07-06-15, 08:33 AM
therhodeo

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
A+ thread. Would read again. See everyone on page 10.
Old 07-06-15, 08:34 AM
danmc

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You forgot the rule about no CF bikes because they asplode.
Old 07-06-15, 08:37 AM
bt
Banned

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
great first post...
Old 07-06-15, 08:47 AM
Kopsis

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by RVARider
I don't plan to change any of the above, just wondering who comes up with these "rules"
Your infractions have been reported to the Velominati. I'm sure your questions will be fully "addressed" during the interrogation.

Last edited by BillyD; 07-06-15 at 10:55 AM.
Old 07-06-15, 08:48 AM
kc0bbq

Bikes: 2006 Raleigh Cadent 2.0, 2016 Trek Emonda ALR 6, 2015 Propel Advanced SL 2, 2000 K2 Zed SE

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm lost in a world of Poe's Law right now...
Old 07-06-15, 08:55 AM
Trsnrtr
Super Modest

Bikes: Trek Emonda, Giant Propel, Colnago V3, Co-Motion Supremo, ICE VTX WC

Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11013 Post(s)
Liked 4,700 Times in 2,158 Posts
Does not compute. What is this thread about?

Old 07-06-15, 08:58 AM
rms13

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 276 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts
Answer: you belong in the commuter forum
Old 07-06-15, 08:59 AM
JerrySTL

Bikes: Giant Defy Advanced, Breezer Doppler Team, Schwinn Twinn Tandem, Windsor Tourist, 1954 JC Higgens

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts
Arbitrary rules are made by fools. Just ride and enjoy it.
Old 07-06-15, 09:44 AM
Psimet2001 
I eat carbide.

Bikes: Lots. Van Dessel and Squid Dealer

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1326 Post(s)
Liked 1,307 Times in 560 Posts

Old 07-06-15, 09:46 AM
Wheever

Bikes: 2015 Trek Domane 6 disk, 2016 Scott Big Jon Fat Bike

Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts
Don't pay any attention...but also don't be hurt when us real road bikers avert their gaze as you go flapping by in your loose fitting clothes and water backpack.
Old 07-06-15, 09:53 AM
bt
Banned

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
what is your other user name?
Old 07-06-15, 09:55 AM
RJM
I'm doing it wrong.

Bikes: Rivendell Appaloosa, Rivendell Frank Jones Sr., Trek Fuel EX9, Kona Jake the Snake CR, Niner Sir9

Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Quoted: 9742 Post(s)
Liked 2,812 Times in 1,664 Posts
The better trolls aren't so obvious.

either get better at trolling, op, or don't do it.
Old 07-06-15, 09:56 AM
thump55
I got 99 problems....

Location: Does anyone know where the love of God goes, when the waves turn the minutes to hours?
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Riding a bike is a lot like the head coaching job of the Patriots...you can wear whatever loungewear you want.
Old 07-06-15, 10:20 AM
RVARider

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Wheever
Don't pay any attention...but also don't be hurt when us real road bikers avert their gaze as you go flapping by in your loose fitting clothes and water backpack.
That's what got me thinking about all this - when I MTB everyone is friendly - on the road, I am ignored probably about 75% of the time - I sense disdain
Old 07-06-15, 10:21 AM
RVARider

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bt
what is your other user name?
Not a troll, I really did just register to ask the question and also find out what the app name is
Old 07-06-15, 10:30 AM
WarrenR

Bikes: 2005 Peugeot Evasion 2019 Trek Verve

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 17 Posts
I just got a new Samsung and I remember seeing that when setting up for my first ride. I believe it's in MapMyRide.

Rules are suggestions set by the people you choose to ride with, probably why so many ride solo. There are no rules, just get out and ride and let the smile (or grimace) speak for you.

Last edited by WarrenR; 07-06-15 at 10:33 AM.
Old 07-06-15, 10:34 AM
rpenmanparker 

Bikes: 1990 Romic Reynolds 531 custom build, Merlin Works CR Ti custom build, super light Workswell 066 custom build

Mentioned: 110 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6556 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 36 Posts
Camelbacks are hot and uncomfortable. Bottle cages, not so much.

Spandex bike shorts are more valuable for the included seat pad, not the compression or streamlining, though that has value too. If you get some padded undershorts for cycling to wear under your basketball shorts, you will appreciate the added comfort on long rides.

Mirrors on the bike look dorky. Helmet and eyeglass mounted mirrors are much better looking, very functional, and more acceptable to the powers that be. A mirror is an important safety item, just don't go over the edge with the bar mounted type.

Attaching the foot to the pedal has absolutely no effect on the speed of dismounting providing you aren't a total klutz. It does guarantee the foot stays in the optimum position for efficient pedaling.

As for the last question, what's an android?

All the rules are overdone, but they all have a basis in cycling efficiency, comfort, and/or style. Come to the dark side, or to use a different movie reference, resistance is futile.

Originally Posted by LAJ
No matter where I go, here I am...
Old 07-06-15, 10:40 AM
RVARider

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rpenmanparker
Camelbacks are hot and uncomfortable. Bottle cages, not so much.

Spandex bike shorts are more valuable for the included seat pad, not the compression or streamlining, though that has value too. If you get some padded undershorts for cycling to wear under your basketball shorts, you will appreciate the added comfort on long rides.

Mirrors on the bike look dorky. Helmet and eyeglass mounted mirrors are much better looking, very functional, and more acceptable to the powers that be. A mirror is an important safety item, just don't go over the edge with the bar mounted type.

Attaching the foot to the pedal has absolutely no effect on the speed of dismounting providing you aren't a total klutz. It does guarantee the foot stays in the optimum position for efficient pedaling.

As for the last question, what's an android?

All the rules are overdone, but they all have a basis in cycling efficiency, comfort, and/or style. Come to the dark side, or to use a different movie reference, resistance is futile.
Thanks for the reply - I actually do wear padded shorts under my basketball shorts. I still have to go with the mirror on the drop bar - the helmet ones are too small for me and actually made me nauseous when I tried one....now I use it on my monitor to see people behind me

Android is a phone OS - like Samsung Galaxy, HTC, etc.

Well at least the rules are based on something (except the one based on looking dorky) I was beginning to think it really was just an elitest thing (like a secret club handshake)
Old 07-06-15, 10:44 AM
RVARider

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by WarrenR
I just got a new Samsung and I remember seeing that when setting up for my first ride. I believe it's in MapMyRide.

Rules are suggestions set by the people you choose to ride with, probably why so many ride solo. There are no rules, just get out and ride and let the smile (or grimace) speak for you.
awesome - that is not the app I saw, but I currently use MapMyRide so this is perfect - just need to upgrade to a MVP membership - thanks!
Old 07-06-15, 10:45 AM
therhodeo

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I was beginning to think it really was just an elitest thing (like a secret club handshake)
In all honesty it is somewhat. If a guy shows up in a paceline near me looking like a fred likely I'm going to give him a wide berth. There is a feeling that someone who takes cycling seriously is going to look the part. Also not going to be too self conscious to put on tight shorts.

Similarly if someone shows up in a paceline looking like a triathlete I'm going to just stay the hell away from them.
Old 07-06-15, 10:48 AM
Wheever

Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts
I was beginning to think it really was just an elitest thing (like a secret club handshake)
Ha ha ha! What an idea! A secret club handshake! There's no such thing! No! I tell you! No! NO SECRET CLUB HANDSHAKE.
Old 07-06-15, 10:49 AM
Cyclosaurus

Bikes: 1993 NOS Mt Shasta Tempest, Motobecane Fantom Cross CX, Dahon Speed D7, Dahon Vector P8, Bullitt Superfly

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I keep hearing all these "rules" in order to be a proper road biker:

1) No CamelBak - what is the benefit in covering my bike in bottle cages when I can carry a gallon on my back?
2) Bike Outfit - I am fat, no one wants to see me wrapped in sausage casing - I wear yellow basketball shorts, yellow wicking shirt, and old sneakers - I look like a highlighter, but I am comfortable and stand out to cars
3) No mirror on a road bike - I prefer to know when someone is behind me, particulary if I need to take the lane to avoid potholes
4) Clipping in - I don't want to, I prefer to be able to dismount quickly and I am not going for the kind of speed that requires power applied throughout the rotation

Oh - one more thing - On friday someone posted about an Android app that sends a message when you start and stop your ride and lets your spouse track it from GPS - the search function is returning an "oops" error - does anyone know the app? I thought it was something like iRide.

Thanks!
And when, and only when, you do everything just right, the other roadies will wave at you! They don't wave to just anyone, you know. But that's how you will know for sure that you've truly arrived...
Old 07-06-15, 10:50 AM
Wheever

Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts
That's what got me thinking about all this - when I MTB everyone is friendly - on the road, I am ignored probably about 75% of the time - I sense disdain
MTB people are a bunch of hippies, stoned all the time. Of course they're friendly. Road bikers are serious. We don't have time to say hi to people moseying along in flappy clothes, we're trying to KOM on a Strava segment.
Old 07-06-15, 10:53 AM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
You don't need a gallon of water to ride a bike for an hour. A gallon of water weighs 8 and 1/3 pounds. Riding a bike usually involves some time going up hill, against gravity, where that extra weight isn't going to help you.

A backpack makes you hot and sweaty. It keeps your back from ventilating because instead of air, it has a heavy fabric pressed up against it. You said you like to ride in a wicking shirt so you understand.

When you run out of water in your bottles and cages, you stop for more. Maybe at a water fountain, maybe a store, maybe a creek.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.